Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:03 PM

Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment (7134 Views)

Buhari Given 7-day Ultimatum To Release Kanu, Metuh, Dasuki - Campaign For Democ / Buhari Has So Far Borrowed $3b without doing anything at all / Dangote, Elumelu Jostle For 10 NIPP Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by nikkygal(f): 11:37am On Oct 26, 2011
Customs' Dikko Gets 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3Billion NIPP Equipment

CONTROLLER GENERAL OF THE NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE (NCS), ALHAJI AHMED DIKKO

ABUJA, October 25, (THEWILL) – The Controller General of the Nigeria Custom Service (NCS), Alhaji Ahmed Dikko has been ordered to recover several National Independent Power Project(NIPP) power equipment valued at over $3 billion USD which the agency admitted it auctioned to a private company.

The custom boss was given 7 (seven) days to comply with the order or face arrest and prosecution.

The order was handed Tuesday by the Senate which also warned that key actors in the secret auctioning of the power equipment may end up in jail if the agency failed within seven days to recover the items and place them back in government custody.

The Senate ruled that the suspension of some officers in connection with the deal and the setting up of a committee by the Vice president Namadi Sambo to probe the transaction was not enough. The lawmakers argued that there may be no evidence at the end of the day that such officials were suspended.

The NCS in its defence insisted that it did not know as at the time of auctioning the equipment that the consignment belonged to the Power Holding of Nigeria Company (PHCN).

The agency claimed Tuesday that the consignment landed at the Lagos port with the name of a private firm and not PHCN even as the agency insisted that it acted in accordance with its enabling law which empowers it to auction any consignment after 90 man-loving-men from the date of landing at the port.

But the Senate Committee on Power at a stormy session with stakeholders in the power sector however dismissed the claim as frivolous, insisting that it was ironic for the same agency that had at some point written to the Ministry of Power and Finance respectively to come and clear the consignment, to also say it did not know that they belonged to PHCN.

Chairman of the committee, Senator Philip Aduda specifically asked the Custom boss and the Minister of Power, Professor Bath Nnaji to recover the auctioned equipment within seven days.

The committee had earlier summoned the Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala to appear before it to explain the circumstance surrounding the auctioning of the NIPP items.

Trouble started early last week when the Minister of Power told the power committee how the Nigerian Customs Service auctioned several NIPP equipment to private electrical dealer.

The Minister said the equipment were found in the open market forcing the police to arrest dealers who had them in their warehouses. It was after their arrests that it was discovered that the parts were auctioned by the customs service.

But the Comptroller of NCS, Alhaji Dikko at a resumed session with the committee on Tuesday however insisted that he did not act alone, adding that the agency had at the expiration of the first 15 days for such container to be cleared notified the relevant authorities on the need to act.

Dikko who was represented at the session by a Deputy Comptroller General of Customs, Mr. John Atte however said that the agency decided to auction the NIPP equipment after it was gazetted and published in compliance with the law.

Chairman of the Senate Committee on Power, Senator Philip Aduda expressed dissatisfaction with the delay in the execution of some of the NIPP contracts approved by federal government despite the release of funds for the contracts.

"A lot of these power contracts have been abandoned by the contractors, and government had paid money to these contracts. I hereby request for the list of the contracts approved for NIPP and the amount of money paid to the contractors. There are a lot of leakages in this country and we must find a way of stopping it," he thundered.
http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/72897/23/customs-dikko-gets-7-days-to-retrieve-auctioned-3b.html
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by LadyT(f): 11:38am On Oct 26, 2011
angry Shocking that people even have the guts to do this!
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by rolchi(m): 4:39pm On Oct 26, 2011
Very Painful that this happens in Nigeria.

embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by CyberG: 5:18pm On Oct 26, 2011
Naija E-bay LOL!!
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by olabukola: 5:48pm On Oct 26, 2011
The agency claimed Tuesday that the consignment landed at the Lagos port with the name of a private firm and not PHCN even as the agency insisted that it acted in accordance with its enabling law which empowers it to auction any consignment after 90 man-loving-men from the date of landing at the port.
@ bolded what it the meaning pls.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Beaf: 5:50pm On Oct 26, 2011
That equipment had been left to rot in the ports for 5 years while the cabal auctioned the items to themselves. A lot of uninformed folk abuse GEJ, but he put an immediate end to the nonsense as soon as he became Acting President, Sambo gave the ports authorities two weeks to release the items.

Now the long arm of the law is getting round to crushing the sellers and receivers of such sensitive national goods. Everyone involved needs to be jailed.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:37pm On Oct 26, 2011
'Auctioned' my foot!!! Do these customs guys think we were born yesterday?

They've gone and 'sold' the said equipment to their mates and business partners, and Nigeria can f*uck-off for all they care. No wonder everyone wants to join the customs: Atiku knows what i'm on about wink.

The President should watch his back, as there'd be many vested interests that would be very bitter over recent revelations: remember the one of 'the single window' scam that had a few young hustlers rubbing their hands with glee over the 'killing' they'd made (in the billions of $); and the airport runway contract inflation. These are just the ones we know of.

Sometimes i wonder how this country is still carrying on- albeit, on it's last legs.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Beaf: 9:44pm On Oct 26, 2011
^
The customs men did not auction the goods to their mates, no customs man has that animal courage. They "auctioned" them to govt officials of the time and their cronies.
I don't see why GEJ should watch his back, afterall we all want a country that is liberated from corruption.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by 9ja4eva: 9:48pm On Oct 26, 2011
Long overdue.The CG of Customs and his group bought the so called "Auctioned NIPP Equipment".
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by djustice: 9:51pm On Oct 26, 2011
And as the Fulani web of conspiracies unravels, watch as "Boko Haram" intensify their bombing campaign to distract the government.

Dikko, the Customs Comptroller General, is Mrs. Turai Yar'Adua's relation and was appointed by her husband.

He has since recruited hordes of Nigerién Fulanis into the Customs and Excise, who must all be weeded out.

He killed Bayo Ohu for exposing his certificate fraud and must now be removed and probed for that murder and the various frauds he has been perpetrating under the cover of "generating revenue" for government.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by icez: 9:57pm On Oct 26, 2011
Was it not yaradua and his cabal using the famous[b] rule of law and due process[/b], that suspended the nipp project; sacked the special adviser who told them the truth, used bankole(first class thief) to set up the so called " power probe"- where is the report? And there after sold all the GE Turbines that were at the port instead of clearing them. They called obj a thief, but what did they do?
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by icez: 10:02pm On Oct 26, 2011
9ja4eva:

Long overdue.The CG of Customs and his group bought the so called "Auctioned NIPP Equipment".

That guy is a thief.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by 9ja4eva: 10:29pm On Oct 26, 2011
Big time thief.He thinks people don't know his evil doings.Yeye man
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by icez: 10:57pm On Oct 26, 2011
Just imagine the uk custom service, auctioning equipment bought by a company for a greater- london power project. lipsrsealed. Not to talk about the one bought by a whole uk govrn. shocked. God save naija.

1 Like

Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Gekko(m): 11:15pm On Oct 26, 2011
If not that we have an impotent govt, why ask for the return of the equipment? When we all know they will either return nothing or a fraction. Why not just arrest them, build a case, prosecute and seize their belongings plus slap a restitution on them?

1 Like

Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by PointB: 11:16pm On Oct 26, 2011
Na wa o. These uniformed thieves won't kill us in these country. I say retrieve the items, sack these men, and jail them.

By the way GEJ method of quietly exposing and dealing with corrupt individuals, systems, and practice is quiet novel. He nimbles away at all their protective layers effortlessly, before they know it, they are exposed. The same thing I foresee happening on fuel subsidy issues. Soon all the layers of protection will be peeled and subsidy thieves will be exposed to the marrows. Effortlessly!
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by icez: 11:24pm On Oct 26, 2011
Let them just return everything. angry
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Beaf: 11:35pm On Oct 26, 2011
PointB:

Na wa o. These uniformed thieves won't kill us in these country. I say retrieve the items, sack these men, and jail them.

By the way GEJ method of quietly exposing and dealing with corrupt individuals, systems, and practice is quiet novel. He nimbles away at all their protective layers effortlessly, before they know it, they are exposed. The same thing I foresee happening on fuel subsidy issues. Soon all the layers of protection will be peeled and subsidy thieves will be exposed to the marrows. Effortlessly!

Na so o! We don't need a lion or tiger that will engage the owners of Nigeria frontally and be bloodied. Afterall, Obj couldn't even dent them.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by icez: 11:42pm On Oct 26, 2011
Why did the "power probe panel" not see this one. All bunch of thieves.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by PointB: 11:53pm On Oct 26, 2011
@Beaf
That is correct. Intelligence is better than strength. And that is what we are getting with team GEJ. The good part is the silent execution. Things are changing; thieves are worried!
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Relax101(m): 12:20am On Oct 27, 2011
djustice:

And as the Fulani web of conspiracies unravels, watch as "Boko Haram" intensify their bombing campaign to distract the government.

Dikko, the Customs Comptroller General, is Mrs. Turai Yar'Adua's relation and was appointed by her husband.

He has since recruited hordes of Nigerién Fulanis into the Customs and Excise, who must all be weeded out.

He killed Bayo Ohu for exposing his certificate fraud and must now be removed and probed for that murder and the various frauds he has been perpetrating under the cover of "generating revenue" for government.

Who's bayo Ohu?
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Beaf: 12:32am On Oct 27, 2011
^
Guardian journalist that was shot at his door in Lagos a couple of years ago.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by 9ja4eva: 3:14am On Oct 27, 2011
djustice:

Well to be sincere i don't see GEJ doing anything about this one.Aside the fact he killed Bayo with glaring evidence.Its no news that Dikko is one of the main sponsors of Boko Haram.As a matter of fact evidence was sent to the Government about his involvement in the post election crisis but nothing was done about it.Patience collects millions from him on a weekly basis so expect this to be another case thrown under the carpet.No be today GEJ don dey fall hand.

Good riddance.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by feelamong(m): 7:57am On Oct 27, 2011
EXACTLY MY POINT…THANK YOU BRO, YOU TOOK THE WODS OUT OF MY MOUTH,

WE WOULD BE HERE IN TWO YRS TIME TALKING ABT THIS ISSUE AND NOTIN WOULD HAVE HAPPENED,

IF YOU KNOW THE GUY DIKKO VERY WELL, YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH…….GEJ CANNOT TOUCH HIM, I REPEAT GEJ CANNOT TOUCH HIM….

WHY DO YOU THINK RINGIN IS STILL THE IG OF POLICE EVEN IN THE FACE OF MASSIVE FAILURES AND CORRUPTION IN THE FORCE….

I DON’T WANT TO SPEW ALL I KNOW OUT HERE INTHIS PUBLIC FORUM…DIKKO IS MUCH MORE DANGEROUS THAN MANY OF US KNOW….JUST ASK FOR THE FINANCIERS OF BOKO HARAM …,
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by werepeLeri: 3:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
feelamong:

EXACTLY MY POINT…THANK YOU BRO, YOU TOOK THE WODS OUT OF MY MOUTH,

WE WOULD BE HERE IN TWO YRS TIME TALKING ABT THIS ISSUE AND NOTIN WOULD HAVE HAPPENED,

IF YOU KNOW THE GUY DIKKO VERY WELL, YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH…….GEJ CANNOT TOUCH HIM, I REPEAT GEJ CANNOT TOUCH HIM….

WHY DO YOU THINK RINGIN IS STILL THE IG OF POLICE EVEN IN THE FACE OF MASSIVE FAILURES AND CORRUPTION IN THE FORCE….

I DON’T WANT TO SPEW ALL I KNOW OUT HERE INTHIS PUBLIC FORUM…DIKKO IS MUCH MORE DANGEROUS THAN MANY OF US KNOW….JUST ASK FOR THE FINANCIERS OF BOKO HARAM …,

People like you want to make me smack my computer.

GEJ can not touch who? Abeg, try to talk more sensibly. Tell us one reason why the President can not touch merely a custom Boss.

Wetin you know? Abeg. Keep quiet.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by werepeLeri: 3:39pm On Oct 27, 2011
9ja4eva:

Well to be sincere i don't see GEJ doing anything about this one.Aside the fact he killed Bayo with glaring evidence.Its no news that Dikko is one of the main sponsors of Boko Haram.As a matter of fact evidence was sent to the Government about his involvement in the post election crisis but nothing was done about it.Patience collects millions from him on a weekly basis so expect this to be another case thrown under the carpet.No be today GEJ don dey fall hand.

Good riddance.

I have sent this to the SSS for you to prove this is right. People who make outrageous statements on NairaLand should be thought serious lessons - you will soon know.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by mcnepow(m): 4:00pm On Oct 27, 2011
olabukola:

@ bolded what it the meaning pls.
Guess 90 'D'ays was mistakenly spelt as 'G'ays - thats what happens when you write g.ay on this forum. It displays gays
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Fidelo726: 4:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
werepeLeri:

I have sent this to the SSS for you to prove this is right. People who make outrageous statements on NairaLand should be thought serious lessons - you will soon know.

It is common knowledge that NLers always make every effort to spew rubbish just to discredit someone.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by icez: 4:08pm On Oct 27, 2011
That CG is a known thief.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by manny4life(m): 4:08pm On Oct 27, 2011
werepeLeri:

If you actually did, you have my support. I'm sick and tired of kids who come on here saying crap just to discredit someone, I hope they have resources and equipment to track him and flag him if he's in Nigeria.
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Ayowumie(m): 4:12pm On Oct 27, 2011
mcnepow:

Guess 90 'D'ays was mistakenly spelt as 'G'ays - thats what happens when you write g.ay on this forum. It displays man-loving-men
Thanks for that. I don dey wonder o

werepeLeri:

I have sent this to the SSS for you to prove this is right. People who make outrageous statements on NairaLand should be[b] thought[/b] serious lessons - you will soon know.
In your wildest imaginations.
@the bolded, it is TAUGHT
Re: Custom's CG Given 7 Days To Retrieve Auctioned $3B NIPP Equipment by Hilundi: 4:15pm On Oct 27, 2011
Guys please why did the Custom Chief change his name from Alhaji Abdullahi Inde to Alhaji Ahmed Dikko while still in office?Is it a ploy to cover for his 'dirty' past that in a sane society he would by now be rotting in jial for life.Gej is too weak,why can't this guy be prosecuted?Nigeria can never move with non-chalancy like these!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emenike: House Demolition: Igbos Are In Trouble, This Is Pure Wickedness / Jang Didnt Plan To Be Chairman Of Governors' Forum / My Experience From Ikeja All The Way To 3rd Mainland Bridge (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.