Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? (3215 Views)

I Want To Setup A Football Betting Shop...help / How To Setup A Money-Lending Firm In Nigeria? / How To Setup A Day Care Center In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by efisher(m): 8:36pm On Oct 26, 2011
Hello nairalanders,

Nigeria is a country with lots of challenges and in effect, lots of opportunities to invest. One of our greatest challenges today is access to quality / world class education. Tackling this challenge will require a lot of time, information, money and other resources. I've got time, access to money and some of the resources required. I however, need information on the process and requirements of setting up an educational institution (for example, a private University) in Nigeria. I will be grateful if any one can direct me to the right place to get such information. I will also like you to share your ideas with me on what things I need to consider and / or do  in order to achieve success in this business. Thanks a lot.
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by Divab(f): 4:21pm On Oct 28, 2011
Private university is a tall order, let me ask you some questions, do you have experience in school system, are u an educationist or a business person, otherwise we can advise you to start from the scratch, lowest of the school system,
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by efisher(m): 12:04am On Oct 29, 2011
Divab, thanks for your response. I am a business person. I have experience in real estate and oil & gas but none in Education. I however, have a strong interest in education. I don't mind starting from a primary or secondary school b4 going fully into a private university but if i know what it takes, i can start with 1 or 2 courses. For example, i just came across a publication today where requests are being made for private law schools to be established. So one can start with a law school or school of medicine or engineering etc before venturing into other courses. The drive is to provide world class education.

I will appreciate if anyone can direct me to where i can get the guidelines for establishing schools in Nigeria. Thanks
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by chamber2(m): 3:46am On Oct 29, 2011
I may advise you consider starting with a business school with affiliate programs with leading business schools in the world.

If you need information on setting up a primary or secondary i think the best place to go is the ministry of education and the local govt education board.

In the case of university NUC (National Universities Commission) is the best place to visit. I think their headoffice is in Abuja.

Also, the location of your school means a lot. So, you have to consider location, staffing etc.

I think one of the requirements of running/establishing a university is that the proprietor MUST have a degree/PGD in education or experience in running a school. So, i may advise you consider getting a PGDE before applying for licence. This will not only help you in getting the licence but also in running the institution effective.

Remember, obtaining a licence to run a university involves/requires a lot of politics and or connection. So, you may need a senator, minister, house of reps etc to clear the road for you.

It's a good idea you have there, i also share similar vision.
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:35pm On Oct 29, 2011
@efisher
Like Divab said, establishing a private is a tall order. Personally i'll advice you focus on a niche like IT. Imagine an IT only school in Nigeria. It could become the best technology school in Africa.
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by efisher(m): 6:30pm On Oct 29, 2011
Thanks chamber2 and afam4eva for your thoughtful responses. I appreciate them.
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by chamber2(m): 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, i think the idea of establishing an IT oriented institution is a good idea. Something like''Nigerian/African Institute of Technology (NIT/AIT)'' with courses in both IT and Mgt sciences.

But i wouldn't advise it be run like the likes of Aptech and NIIT. There a lot of them already. It has to be a full research, teaching and learning institute.
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 7:00pm On Oct 29, 2011
chamber2:

Yeah, i think the idea of establishing an IT oriented institution is a good idea. Something like''Nigerian/African Institute of Technology (NIT/AIT)'' with courses in both IT and Mgt sciences.

But i wouldn't advise it be run like the likes of Aptech and NIIT. There a lot of them already. It has to be a full research, teaching and learning institute.

I think so too. Aptech initially came to Nigeria to register as a full blown university but they were denied the accreditation, so they had to settle for less. I think a technology school will make sense in this era of technological advancement.
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by efisher(m): 7:32pm On Oct 29, 2011
Exactly what i have in mind right now. An African Institute of Technology that can bring opportunities for research and development with close ties to the industry will be excellent. We need to change the concept of our educational system to be able to serve our developmental needs as a nation and at the same time, equip our graduates with necessary skills.
Re: What Does It Take To Setup A World Class Educational Institution In Nigeria? by Divab(f): 6:07pm On Oct 31, 2011
efisher:

Divab, thanks for your response. I am a business person. I have experience in real estate and oil & gas but none in Education. I however, have a strong interest in education. I don't mind starting from a primary or secondary school b4 going fully into a private university but if i know what it takes, i can start with 1 or 2 courses. For example, i just came across a publication today where requests are being made for private law schools to be established. So one can start with a law school or school of medicine or engineering etc before venturing into other courses. The drive is to provide world class education.

I will appreciate if anyone can direct me to where i can get the guidelines for establishing schools in Nigeria. Thanks

Hi efisher,

As you said, you can start from primary or secondary school then a partnership with one of the universities in uk as an affliate program or foundation course in nigeria, after which the students will travel to uk to finish their program.

As such what is ur Vision, Mission, for the School, Location, staffing, is very important. Do you intend building your own structure before takeoff or leasing a place until ur own structure is ready,

moreover the school year just started this september so nothing u can do now except you want to start it in January to run for second term, otherwise you plan for next yr September,

(1) (Reply)

How To Create A Business Email Account Free / 200,000 To Invest / The Biggest Supermarket In Benin-city Razed Down By Fire.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.