Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,389 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth (3511 Views)

Proposed Changes To The Canadian Citizenship Act. Good News / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here / No More Canadian Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by kangasomti: 10:01am On Oct 27, 2011
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/citizenship.asp

In summary, a child cannot get a citizenship if the parents are on visiting visa.
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by dancewith: 8:04am On Oct 28, 2011
I know a Mexican lady that had a baby in Toronto in June this year and she still got the Child a Canadian passport. Note that the Mexican went to Toronto for the purpose of birth only because they were inadmissible in the US for a previous visa violation. Please when did this new rule come into force?
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by dancewith: 8:35am On Oct 28, 2011
Just re-read the law. What it actually means is that: If ANY OF YOUR PARENT has DIPLOMATIC STATUS IN CANADA AT THE TIME OF YOUR BIRTH and NEITHER has Canadian citizenship or PR status, then you cannot be Canadian despite being born there. Meaning it only affects those kids with diplomatic parents. This law is universal really
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by kangasomti: 9:05am On Oct 28, 2011
@dancewith, except I'm wrong, the statement is quite clear.

In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada. You are not a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada and at the time of your birth, your parents were neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, and at least one parent had diplomatic status in Canada.
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by dancewith: 9:13am On Oct 28, 2011
kangasomti:

@dancewith, except I'm wrong, the statement is quite clear.

In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada. You are not a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada and at the time of your birth, your parents were neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, and at least one parent had diplomatic status in Canada.

This is the core of the statement. They are one sentence, meaning the last part is a continuation of the former.
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by kangasomti: 9:22am On Oct 28, 2011
that's hilarious. I can't believe it. i have earlier advised someone that it was not possible. Would you be able to further confirm from anyone?
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by kangasomti: 9:25am On Oct 28, 2011
@dancewith, kindly mail me? kangasomti@hotmail.com
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by dancewith: 9:31am On Oct 28, 2011
Hey

This is simpler than you thought. Google requirements for a Canadian passport and you will see:

1) Birth Certificate for Canadian Born
2) Naturalization Certificate for naturalized citizens
3) Registration of birth for those born abroad to Canadian parents

For category one above, there is no mention of bringing parental proof of citizenship or PR status.

Read the same law you cited above here and see how clearer it will become

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/citizenship/proof.asp
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by dancewith: 9:34am On Oct 28, 2011
mailed you
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by kangasomti: 10:01am On Oct 28, 2011
i have replied you.

for the purpose of information, if you have any further facts kindly post.

Section 3(2) of the Current Act states that Canadian citizenship is not granted to a child born in Canada if, at the time of his/her birth, neither of his/her parents was a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident and either parent was a diplomatic or consular officer or other representative or employee of a foreign government in Canada or an employee of such a person.

the sentence structure is quite ambigous.
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by kangasomti: 10:15am On Oct 28, 2011
@dancewith, did you get my mail?
Re: No More Canadian Citizenship @ Birth by chinweub: 10:16pm On Oct 31, 2011
sad wink wink

(1) (Reply)

How To Buy Your Way To A New Passport / U.S Embassy In Abuja From the Airport / Beware Of Cannibalism Before Traveling For Greener Pasture: Find Attached

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.