Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? (15189 Views)

Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price / What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? / Mixture Of Perceptions Among Igbo, Hausa & Yoruba Tribes Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by lakal(m): 8:31pm On Oct 29, 2011
I'm saying it just to say it. It's not really a reply to you, more a comment on NRI priest.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:39pm On Oct 29, 2011
Well,look at it this way; ofu osisi adighi eto offiah. . . It will also be a waste of energy and time to make a brainwashed soul like you to come to its natural state. . . quite often u infiltrate comment here that despise the Igbo nation all in ur selfish dream to give credence to ur Ngwa,that it doesnt have.
Since Ngwa people doest have "OSU",let me give u a tip of how it operates;exactly the way every body is treating "YOU"here is how the osu's were handled in those days,except that they lived away from non-osu's.
You can stay here all day and try inculcate  in people through your deceitful antics some kind of unfounded significance of Ngwa. . .but the truth is that Ngwa,just like Onitsha, Ikwerre,Owerri,Asaba,Nsukka,Afikpo and ogoja is but a drop of water in the intimidating ocean of the Igbo race!!!!
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:00pm On Oct 29, 2011
lakal:

I'm saying it just to say it.  It's not really a reply to you, more a comment on NRI priest.
Oh alright. My mistake then.

NRI PRIEST:

Since Ngwa people doest have "OSU",let me give u a tip of how it operates;exactly the way every body is treating "YOU"here is how the osu's were handled in those days,except that they lived away from non-osu's.
Wait. Do you mean to tell me that you didn't know that Ngwa doesn't have Osu? This is a legitimate question.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:11pm On Oct 29, 2011
I will not dignify that ur silly question with an answer. . .this will be the last time I will reply you on this thread. . .good day nwa onye Ngwa.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:37pm On Oct 29, 2011
So this is how you will "make my mind straight"? This turned out to not be interesting after all.

Anyway, I take it that you're refusal to answer would in some way indicate that you in fact did not know. That one at least is interesting. You had no idea that Ngwa did not have osu. That one small fact. You had no idea. So if you did not know that one simple fact, then what could you possibly know about Ngwa that you would even conceive of opening your mouth to speak to me? Apparently your knowledge is very, very, very. . very limited, if you did not know that one.simple.fact.

Nri Child, don't get upset because you're ignorant. Just learn from what you don't know.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 9:44pm On Oct 29, 2011
ChinenyeN:
What do you know about Ohnuhnu?

What group is this?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:47pm On Oct 29, 2011
Ohnuhnu Mbaise, not Umuahia.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by FACE(m): 9:50pm On Oct 29, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Ohnuhnu Mbaise, not Umuahia.

Where is this Ohnuhnu Mbaise ?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by deadie(m): 9:52pm On Oct 29, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Chinenyen,you sounded like a treacherous fool!!
From today, I FORBID u from partaking in anything that has to do with Igbo here on nairaland!!! From today go and open as many "NGWA" thread as you can and stay far the phuck away from anything Igbo, what a recalcitrant Arrow!!
You can be repugnant as well as respectful at the same time by giving respect and honor to somebody whom through a lot of people here on nrlnd has learnt alot about the Igbo nation.
Trully, u sound like a BANNISHED OSU!!
Just stay away from the Igbos or I will take the responsibility of keeping your mind straight like an ATURU. LOST FOOL!!

I do not support the viewpoint of this ChinenyeN, I think he loves controversy and thinks he has infinite knowledge on Igbo culture. I understand him though, short people likes being noticed. However, it is sad that at this era, people promote the Osu system, which you have done with this your post. Disappointing that a thread that should promote Igbo views / pride has degenerated into this.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:55pm On Oct 29, 2011
FACE:

Where is this Ohnuhnu Mbaise ?
Ezilihite, and some surrounding communities extending into Ahiara, toward the Isoma area.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:56pm On Oct 29, 2011
deadie:

he has infinite knowledge on Igbo culture.
You couldn't be more wrong. Just thought I'd let you know.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by noiseless: 10:19pm On Oct 29, 2011
Whether we have been known as igbos or not from the time of ADAM AND EVE, in the northern part or western part of nigeria and else where you are only known as igbo and nothing else,so it's only in igboland that one is known to be of ENUGU,ONITSHA/ONICHA,ASABA,OWERRE.NDOKI,ARO,IKWERE,ABAKALIKI AND SO ON which is a simple thing cos those who see us as igbos outside igboland are not stupide.
ChinenyeN:

False. Show me the evidence. Show me where in oral traditions these groups claimed to know what "igbo" is. Come and tell me about Ngwa oral history and traditions and tell me "we have always been known as Igbo". You keep making all of these claims, but what do you even know about the people you are making claims about? What do you know about Ngwa? What do you know about Ndoki? What do you know about Asa? What do you know about Echie? What do you know about Ikwere? What do you know about Akpohia? What do you know about Ohnuhnu? What do you know about Ahiara? What do you know about Okpala? What do you know about Ulakwo? Please, tell me. You insist that "we have always been known as Igbo", but you cannot tell me anything about the aforementioned groups' traditions.

In short, this is just like the claim of Nri hegemony in that thread about Nri visiting Virginia. One OfoIgbo insisted on Nri cultural/religious hegemony, even in the face of contradicting evidence. He even went the length of being so bold as to say to me "such and such never happened in Ngwa", and that is exactly what you are beginning to sound like right now (note, this is not an avenue to get into anything about Nri. The above is just an example, comparing the nature of your claim to that of OfoIgbo).

KC is correct about what he said about Ngwa people, me inclusive. I don't have a problem with us being Igbo people (which Ngwa does?), but I do have a problem when people make it a priority to make over-reaching claims like "we have always been Igbo". I have a problem when Igbo people, who are ignorant of certain people's traditions, culture and society make such blanket and unfounded claims; struggling so hard to forge a false sense of some kind of "homogeneity in antiquity".

We are Igbo people now, but that doesn't mean you have to lie about the past; "we have always been known as Igbo"; abaraka.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:28pm On Oct 29, 2011
Noiseless, I've already said that, though not in as many words.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by FACE(m): 10:36pm On Oct 29, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Ezilihite, and some surrounding communities extending into Ahiara, toward the Isoma area.

My maternal home is Ezinihite and I will tell you the legend you keep referring to. You call them Ohuhu and they refer to you as Nde Ngwa Nzem.

Their legend, which bears a resemblance to Ngwa legend was that they were on a sojourn and when they got to Imo river western bank, they decided to take a break. While they were there, they decided to roast some yams. As they were roasting their yams, a storm was also building and some people decided to cross the Imo before the storm.

Following the storm, Imo burst it's banks and the crossing path was lost. Thus the travellers found themselves on opposite sides of Imo. "Nde Ngwa Nzem (quick/sharp people) a gafee la" was what those that did  not cross said of those that crossed. "Unu noro huwa ji, ndi Ohuhu ji" was what those that crossed said of those that did not cross.

That is why you refer to those on the western bank of Imo as Ohuhu. My mum's village is one of the last villages before the Imo and their immediate neighbours today are Umunwanwa in Umuahia and I have walked the distance before. Ngwa continued their sojourn to their present location.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:55pm On Oct 29, 2011
FACE, I'm already familiar with the tradition. It's the first thing every Ngwa learns when learning about their identity.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Relax101(m): 11:07pm On Oct 29, 2011
Here we go again.
From thread to thread, I keep seeing this ngwa this and that, anyways, I am not here for this anyantakasi. cheesy cheesy cheesy
NRI PRIEST watch your mouth about OSU or else I will prove to you I gave birth to NRI. No jokes.
What is Isukwuato? Nobody answered me?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:15pm On Oct 29, 2011
[quote="ChinenyeN"]1. Everyone should keep in mind that I did not begin this foolish "Ngwa" nonsense here in this topic. The first person to mention "Ngwa" in this topic was Nri Priest. In my immediate response to him, not once did I mention "Ngwa". All I did was to tell him to not exaggerate. In the next response that I got from him, he mentions "Ngwa", once again. I then responded directly to his Ngwa comments. Everyone should keep that in mind, lest we have a repeat of that nonsense that occurred last year with that Aro child, EzeUche. Now, if people want to turn this into a topic about Ngwa, then so be it. They should feel free. If not, then people would be wise to not personalize this discussion, because I am just as capable of engaging in personalized vulgar shouting matches as they are. No one has a monopoly on useless noise. [/quote]
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Relax101(m): 11:23pm On Oct 29, 2011
^^^ You mentioned isuikwuato. What does it mean?
Google is not my friend. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:27pm On Oct 29, 2011
Relax101:

^^^ You mentioned isuikwuato. What does it mean?
Google is not my friend. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Yea, Google tends to not be so helpful on topics like this. Anyway, Isuikwuato is Isu of three kindreds (ikwu is their word for kindred, I believe). That would be my interpretation. I'm not Isuikwuato, and I don't know much about them other than that they're related to Okigwe and that they are Isu people.

FACE would probably be able to give you a better answer.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Obiagu1(m): 11:43pm On Oct 29, 2011
[size=36pt]Can we get back to the topic?
Derailment at its worst![/size]
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by FACE(m): 11:55pm On Oct 29, 2011
ChinenyeN:

FACE, I'm already familiar with the tradition. It's the first thing every Ngwa learns when learning about their identity.

Then you should know that there is no such thing as Ohunhun Mbaise stretching from "Ezilihite to Ahiara" .

ChinenyeN:

Where is this Isoma area ?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:07am On Oct 30, 2011
FACE:

Then you should know that there is no such thing as Ohunhun Mbaise stretching from "Ezilihite to Ahiara" .
ChinenyeN:

I never said nor implied anything stretching from "Ezilihite to Ahiara". Please don't write responses to things I never said.

FACE:

Where is this Isoma area ?
The northern part of Mbaise, in particular, from what I'm told, and some western border communities.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by FACE(m): 12:13am On Oct 30, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I never said nor implied anything stretching from "Ezilihite to Ahiara". Please don't write responses to things I never said.
The northern part of Mbaise, in particular, from what I'm told, and some western border communities.

There is no such thing as Ohunhun Mbaise, period. You were also told wrong about Isoma or maybe you heard wrong ?

Where is northern Mbaise ?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:20am On Oct 30, 2011
Ezeagu asked me a specific question, of what I mean by Ohnuhnu. So I answered, saying "Ohnuhnu Mbaise" to make a distinction from Ohuhu Umuahia. That's what that "Ohnuhnu Mbaise" meant. Are you interpreting it to mean something else?

FACE:

Where is northern Mbaise ?
One word, or town or community I hear regarding that area is Ekwerazu or so, I believe.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by FACE(m): 12:40am On Oct 30, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Ezeagu asked me a specific question, of what I mean by Ohnuhnu. So I answered, saying "Ohnuhnu Mbaise" to make a distinction from Ohuhu Umuahia. That's what that "Ohnuhnu Mbaise" meant. Are you interpreting it to mean something else?
One word, or town or community I hear regarding that area is Ekwerazu or so, I believe.

As long as you know that there is no area or group known as Ohnuhnu in Mbaise, that's ok. Therefore, I wonder what you were aiming at when you asked someone what they knew about Ohnuhnu to which Ezeagu asked you where Ohnuhnu was.

Ekwereazu is not "Isoma", so where is this Isoma ? I hope you are not referring to the Isoma term that Owere Nchi-Ise clan use for referring to non- Owere clans (Arugo's decendants), especially those sorrounding clans they call Owerri Isoma ?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:56am On Oct 30, 2011
FACE, I'll have your reply one I get back from this wake keeping.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:00am On Oct 30, 2011
FACE:

Therefore, I wonder what you were aiming at when you asked someone what they knew about Ohnuhnu to which Ezeagu asked you where Ohnuhnu was.
I'm not sure I was even aiming at anything. I just said "Ohnuhnu" because that one appeals to me more than "Ezilihite".

I don't know anything about Owere's 'Isoma'. What I do know is that there are Isu/Isuama in Mbaise, and they are known locally as 'Isoma'.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 10:29am On Oct 30, 2011
You people are just confusing issues.The Ngwas call all their northern and western neighbours "Ohuhu".The Ezilihite and Oroatta also call their own neighbours "Isoma" which in actual fact was in reference to "Isuama" or the "Isu" people who inhabit much of Imo and Anambra States.

In today's world most Igbos do not even know whether they are Isuama,Ohuhu,Ezilihitte etc.It is only the few that retained their names like Ngwa or Etche.Ezilihitte is a mere LGA in Imo State, so is Isu.An average Ideato,Orlu,Nkwerre,Uga,Ekwulobia man does not even know he is Isuama today.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 8:32pm On Oct 30, 2011
Abagworo:
In today's world most Igbos do not even know whether they are Isuama,Ohuhu,Ezilihitte etc.

Which group is Ohuhu?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 12:02am On Oct 31, 2011
ezeagu:

Which group is Ohuhu?

Umuahia.Not all Umuahia though.Some parts of Umuahia like Ubakala fall into the Ezilihite group.You know Ikwuano,Ibeku and Ohuhu proper were grouped as Ohuhu.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by FACE(m): 9:57am On Oct 31, 2011
Abagworo:

Umuahia.Not all Umuahia though.Some parts of Umuahia like Ubakala fall into the Ezilihite group.You know Ikwuano,Ibeku and Ohuhu proper were grouped as Ohuhu.

You guys are funny and it beats me where you all get these stuff from.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 12:50pm On Oct 31, 2011
Abagworo:
You know Ikwuano,Ibeku and Ohuhu proper were grouped as Ohuhu.

When

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ijaws: Nigeria's Largest Ethnic Group - Wikipedia / Top 4 Richest Tribes In Nigeria / Can Any Nigerian Man Look Like This Man (Pics Included)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.