Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,871 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:22 AM

Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? (47166 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Oba Sijuwade And Chief Obafemi Awolowo (Throwback Photo) / Chief Obafemi Awolowo And His Family On Their Way To India In 1952(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by grafikdon: 7:20pm On Oct 08, 2007
IMHO he was no National hero but he was a villain to a large extent.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by ogalanya(m): 10:35am On Oct 15, 2007
@ ababoy
Key Nigerian figures (including Odumegwu Ojukwu) have continued to echo the view that Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the best president the country never had.

i can see mockery on ojukwu's assertion, he was referring 2 awolowo as being unable 2 become nigeria's president, in spite of his 'good boy' disposition to d nigerian state, it would have easier 4 him if he had worked 4 d seccesion of oduduwa state.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by champredd(m): 12:02pm On Oct 15, 2007
I don't know where all this sh1t about Awolowo being a tribalist came from, but, I do know that if most not all Nigerian leaders of his time were like him, Nigeria could have been a better place than it is now.

He tried to form an alliance with Azikiwe, to no avail, most of this kind of issues were never recorded in writing. It only pass from mouth of those who no about political manoeuvrings of those times.

Azikiwe refuse to take part in such alliance probably due to two reasons, he wanted to become the (ceremonial) president at all cost or influence from British diplomats working for their governments (they want the North to be in power).

So, in a nutshell, the greater share of the blame can never lie with Awo.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by FSU: 12:07pm On Oct 15, 2007
Imagine! Loafers celebrating mediocrity? Awo was a narrow-minded Yoruba demi-god, and a mediocre one at that. He it was who institutionalised tribalism in Nigeria. Those who are being tribalistic today follow his step, but in many cases in a modernised kind of way. At best Awo is similar to Ojukwu, who see things only from the point of view of ''my people''. Thus, Awo can never be seen as a national hero in the mould of ZIK, the ultimate Nigerian nationalist. Even, Obasanjo is far more a national hero than Awolowo.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by champredd(m): 12:13pm On Oct 15, 2007
Most of the posters on this thread are trying to compare Awo to Zik. The fact is, the two can never be compared, Zik like most Igbo leaders is selfish, also, compare with Ojukwu, who led the people to war and killed them off only to ran away with his family when the going get rough and Fajuyi, who died with Ironsi.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by ogalanya(m): 12:22pm On Oct 15, 2007
FSU:

Imagine! Loafers celebrating mediocrity? Awo was a narrow-minded Yoruba demi-god, and a mediocre one at that. He it was who institutionalised tribalism in Nigeria. Those who are being tribalistic today follow his step, but in many cases in a modernised kind of way. At best Awo is similar to Ojukwu, who see things only from the point of view of ''my people''. Thus, Awo can never be seen as a national hero in the mould of ZIK, the ultimate Nigerian nationalist. Even, Obasanjo is far more a national hero than Awolowo.

who are d loafers? because they agreed 2 disagree with u, is dat what made them loafers? guy, its time u start appreciating divergent views, though we are on d same side of d argument, but man u dont have 2 be insultive 2 drive home your point.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by FSU: 12:38pm On Oct 15, 2007
This slowpoke (Ogalanya) again?

Do you really have any view? Your views are in the most part moronic, so I can't be caught pants down in your view. Ok

Now tell me, slowly but truthfully, aren't you a loafer?
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by ogalanya(m): 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2007
from d onset, awolowo neva believed in d nigerian project, dat was why he described nigeria as a 'geographical expression', among d three--awo, zik & ahmadu bello, only zik can be partially seen as a nationalist, though he did dat 2 the detriment of his tribe (igbos). remember ahmadu bello also defined nigeria as 'd mistake of 1914'.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by ogalanya(m): 1:06pm On Oct 15, 2007
FSU:

This slowpoke (Ogalanya) again?

Do you really have any view? Your views are in the most part moronic, so I can't be caught pants down in your view. Ok

Now tell me, slowly but truthfully, aren't you a loafer?

I now have every cause 2 believe dat you are browsing from d motorpark, ogalanya is only trying 2 teach u simple manners dat your mum refused 2 teach u

1 Like

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by FSU: 1:34pm On Oct 15, 2007
Are you already sweating under the collar?  grin. Why don't you answer the question about your perpetual moronic disposition and stop bush-beating? I guess its too difficult. Afterall, the truth is bitter, as the saying goes.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by ogalanya(m): 1:42pm On Oct 15, 2007
why cant u say 'thank u' to your mother's husband

1 Like

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by FSU: 1:48pm On Oct 15, 2007
Soon you will dismute to evergie.  grin
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by ogalanya(m): 3:15pm On Oct 15, 2007
efcc watch out ! grin grin grin
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by ogalanya(m): 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2007
Pls FSU, stop contributing 2 people's thread because u divert attention with your myopic sentiments, just check out all your postings
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 16, 2007
FSU:

Imagine! Loafers celebrating mediocrity? Awo was a narrow-minded Yoruba demi-god, and a mediocre one at that. He it was who institutionalised tribalism in Nigeria. Those who are being tribalistic today follow his step, but in many cases in a modernised kind of way.
Yes, I followed Mr AWOLOWO foot steps, he taught me tribalism and murderous act, but i never followed his murderous way.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by almondjoy(f): 1:54pm On Oct 16, 2007
Another Yoruba vs Igbo thread? undecided

Gosh!
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by FSU: 2:16pm On Oct 16, 2007
almondjoy:

Another Yoruba vs Igbo thread? undecided

Gosh!

Are you trying to equate Awolowo with Yoruba? By this I mean is Awo=Yoruba?
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by almondjoy(f): 2:38pm On Oct 16, 2007
No I am not. But can't you see the usual pattern? People are forming groups already and you can tell which side they are on in the race for tribal superiority!
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by laudate: 4:18pm On Oct 16, 2007
Almondjoy,

Me I don perch for one corner. I know say another 'rofo-rofo' go soon start. Abeg, wey my pepper soup, isi ewu and malt? Ehen, make I siddon look dey watch drama. cool

Na all di people wey still dey inside diapers & nappy, when Zik and Awo don become big political figures, na them come dey assess performance and dispense blames, about things wey happen before any of them begin waka for ground. And you go see say all their assesssment na "them say, them say" rumour. Make God save all of us.

Na wa o! sad
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2007
A man can not run away from himself
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by iykrion(m): 11:29pm On Oct 16, 2007
ogalanya:

from d onset, awolowo never believed in d nigerian project,
Hasn't he been vindicated by the today Nigeria? Is there actually anything like the Nigeria project? Is it not another hypocritical political theory used when devouring the national cake?

[/quote] that was why he described nigeria as a 'geographical expression',
Is that not what Nigeria is in the real sense of it? Can you give a definition of Nigeria that is farther from his? Is Nigeria not a child of circumstance? Now that he is gone, have we agreed to be one?

among d three--awo, zik & ahmadu bello, only zik can be partially seen as a nationalist, though he did that 2 the detriment of his tribe (igbos).
Was there wisdom in that? What precisely is his memorabilia among his people (the Igbos) today?

remember ahmadu bello also defined nigeria as 'd mistake of 1914'.
[quote]
How could I forget that? Even if I do, the result of his comment which has built a a strong Northern Hegemony today will always remind me of it.

@topic,
To me, Awo is a HERO. He was able to understand that nationalism is the love of one's own people. Sometimes, nationalism is not all about patriotism. Nigeria is only a nation-state. Awo was able to learn early enough that CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME!
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by almondjoy(f): 5:31am On Oct 17, 2007
laudate:

Almondjoy,

Me I don perch for one corner. I know say another 'rofo-rofo' go soon start. Abeg, wey my pepper soup, isi ewu and malt? Ehen, make I siddon look dey watch drama. cool

Na all di people wey still dey inside diapers & nappy, when Zik and Awo don become big political figures, na them come dey assess performance and dispense blames, about things wey happen before any of them begin waka for ground. And you go see say all their assesssment na "them say, them say" rumour. Make God save all of us.
Na wa o! sad

Abeg save me the chair next to you oh!  Remain small popcorn for me too.  I guess we can learn something here.  I don't think I had been born when ZIk and Awo were alive.  So I have nothing to contribute oh! cheesy  I dey your side abeg!
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by champredd(m): 6:27pm On Oct 17, 2007
I didn't know that this is a thread for tribal bigots.

Peace out.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by darfur(m): 12:30pm On Dec 31, 2007
it must not be a thread for bigotry. we cant run away from our tribal differences in nigeria, we have to find a way of expressing our differences without being abusive. that way we recognise these differences and work on it.

my opinion is that nigeria has never had any national hero. we have had yoruba heroes, igbo heroes, hausa heroes, calabar heroes, bini heroes etc. nobody can claim to be a real national hero. we have to be a nation 1st before we start talking of national heroes.

awo was a great. sure. but i dont think he was great for the ibos. sure you cant satisfy everybody but you should be seen to attempt to satisfy everybody. the igbos see him as a solid enemy for obvious reasons. he may have done what he did with the intention of ending the war, but the effects were devastating on a people. so the igbos have the right to feel bad for him.

however he was an intelligent man and if he had been president he may have tried to show the igbos that he was no enemy. he would have been better than OBJ and co.

1 Like

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Backslider(m): 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2007
Awolowo was a politician. He was not the type of now a days. he was no Hero to me he did his Job.

I as a Yoruba do believe that the Heroes are in those that suffered under the stealing government IBB and Abacha.

I know some Igbo beleive that Awolowo was a Traitor and it sets the tone to make Yoruba Look like the Yoruba Yoruba Cowards or what I call the efemanu Stereotype.

The truth I will repeat is that Ojukwu was never interested in Igbo people. Every Igbo at the time knows this. But It was right for him to stand for any tribe of Nigeria not on tribal ground though. Ojukwu Ambition made Awo look very bad.

1) Awo was a civilian knew next to nothing about warfare
2) Awo lived in a heavily equiped army Zone. Even Ojukwu could not start the war there.
3) Ojukwu should have planned this for years if he really wanted to secede
4) Ojukwu in the light that he had very little equipment is a HERO.
5) OJUKWU however made people die unneccessarily.

As Soldier you are to defend the integrity of the nation.

It is however painful that we have not learnt anytime from the war.

There should have been the martial plan to make us close our tribal ranks. IGBOS HAVE THE RIGHT TO MOVE ANYWHERE IN NIGERIA THE FACT THAT WE YORUBAS DON'T MOVE AROUND DOE NOT MEAN OTHER SHOULD NOT MOVE.

How do we do this?

make it compulsory that every police man
student
soldier
political office holder

must be proficient in any three nigerian languges

You must set up language schools to achieve this.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by babasin(m): 2:44pm On Dec 31, 2007
my opinion is that nigeria has never had any national hero.

Awolowo is a NATIONAL HERO.

The Yorubas are nation of 35million people.

the poster was not asking for a Nigerian Hero but National Hero

Nation = 'an aggregation of persons of the same ethnic family, often speaking the same language or cognate languages.'
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by nigeriaone: 12:22am On Jan 01, 2008
There is no other person in Nigeria that can claim to have achieve much than Awo in Nigeria. And my friend who told you that Yorubas are 35 million, It is more than 40 million.
Awo was an Icon, Nigeria leaders are not know to serve thier people, But Awo did. A leader is a man that serve his people , not what we have where the people serve thier leaders.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by nigeriaone: 12:03pm On Jan 01, 2008
Problem with seun is his age,  He is 23 years or 24 now, Awo died in  1987,  that is 20 years ago. so seun know only of what he as been told.

Who is awo ?? should be the topic, Awo is the greatest Nigerian that ever lived. He was a leaders of all leaders. A man with vision.

Awo built the Obafemi Awolowo university in ife. It as the best building among all in Nigeria today. The first television station in africa was by Awo, Name anything first in Africa,  they all came through awo. My father was in the UPN, so I should know. Some people took awo like a god.

That what we all expect Yar Adua to be. to become a great leader, but with all this contractor becoming adviser to him,  I just wonder.   The problem with Yar Adua is he as many wrong adviser. And Yar Adua can not see that God as appointing him for this time. He can not see the hands of God in his life.

Look the word of God says when you look at the cloud , you know it is going to rain. This time last year, go and ask Yar Adua if he dream he was going to be president. NO, he never even dream. Noone in Nigeria knew Yar Adua would be president.  Look at his path and ask is this man Yar Adua not blind to see that God want him to setup to his responsibility as president and stop following all this Abacha and IBB boys who have failed Nigeria.

let look at Yar Adua path, he never dream to be president, he only dream to see his brother been president, He became what his brother dream. What should that tell Yar Adua

2 . This time last year Yar Adua never assume he would be in Aso Rock, today who is President.

3 . Yar Adua is the First graduate of a university to become an elected president , carry the burden of many universities graduate who have claim in the past that we need a graduate to rule Nigeria.

4. I say Yar Adua is blind that he can not see the hand of God in his life to push Nigeria to its greatness, Look not even in the history of the world, that the price of oil has sold about $100 not even under obasanjo. you can see that Yar Adua must be blind to see that God is asking him to lift Nigeria beyoud poverty and get away from this  same no good IBB and Abacha boys and push Nigeria to greatness.

5. Among all the PDP governor , What makes him better than the rest of them. Nothing. He was not special. Yar Adua is alsolute blind that he can not see that God pick him out of many to save Nigerian from poverty.

Let him continue to follow IBB and Abacha boys and see where it would lead him, we pray that it would not been in his gravel, just like they push his brother to his gravel.

The word of God says it is not of him that will but of God that shows mercy. God have show mercy on Yar Adua, just like david among his brother, what is Yar Adua doing with that mercy of God? my people ask Yar Adua.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Don1DeMaco: 1:38pm On Jan 01, 2008
people dey really vex with YarADull this New Year o

See as this man change the topic from Awo to YarADull
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by hbrednic: 1:01am On Jan 02, 2008
Seun is right,
Awo was simply assassinated by old age grin grin cool
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by davidif: 7:50am On Jan 04, 2008
Awo was no saint but everybody here can agree that naija would be waaaaaaaaaaay better under Awo's presidency than uncle sege and Yar'adua or however they spell his name.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Kobojunkie: 7:57am On Jan 04, 2008
davidif:

Awo was no saint but everybody here can agree that naija would be waaaaaaaaaaay better under Awo's presidency than uncle sege and Yar'adua or however they spell his name.

You know what I can not agree with that. I expected Obasanjo to do better than he did and look what happened. I ain't vouching for no person anymore. Like they say, "Action Speaks Louder than words" and by golly, these old people keep disappointing us by the number. Not even a single one of them stands out anymore.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu & His Wife Visit His Lawyer, Ejiofor In Anambra (Photos) / Dino Melaye Exposes 'Kogi Government Thugs' (Photos) / Atiku reacts To Federal Government's Ban on Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.