Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,887 members, 7,798,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine (15016 Views)

Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. / What Three Things Does An Engine Need To Run? / Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by baconline(m): 2:46pm On Oct 28, 2011
due to d high cost of deisel ,i am thinking of running my truck with kero with 0.5% vol. base oil added.need advice
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Kx: 2:49pm On Oct 28, 2011
If this works, you could be the next steve jobs!!
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 28, 2011
Kx:

I swear!!! I go even come invest for en life LMAO cheesy
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Skywalker5(m): 4:32pm On Oct 28, 2011
Kx:

Good one
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 28, 2011
baconline:

due to d high cost of deisel ,i am thinking of running my truck with kero with 0.5% vol. base oil added.need advice  

Kerosene / paraffin isn't an ideal alternative fuel for a diesel engine.

Besides, you haven't stated your truck's make, model and year. As well the engine size / type.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by marcus1234: 4:34pm On Oct 28, 2011
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by dipo1: 4:35pm On Oct 28, 2011
Kero wont work. Try palm oil
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by 2sleek2NV(m): 4:36pm On Oct 28, 2011
can i cook using petrol in my stove?
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Kx: 4:39pm On Oct 28, 2011
2sleek2NV:

I bet you can.
Try it tonite.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by rezimero: 4:47pm On Oct 28, 2011
We either too dey reason backwards or mock every ingenious reasoning. Just because it's not the norm doesn't mean it's out of the ordinary. Just because it hasn't been done before, it's impossible. My brother I encourage you, try am, it might work. But use a less expensive engine for your trials. BEST OF LUCK
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Okijajuju1(m): 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2011
This OP must be from Ekiti state.

This is how they normally reason, grin
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2011
2sleek2NV:

I can see that you are the only sensible person here, Lemme give you a detailed report of all you can do with pertrol apart from using with your stove,
1. Fry egg with petrol it is also regarded as oil
2. Drink petrol, Its highly nutritional and it replaces lost fluids
3. Use it to rub your body and your skin would remain fresh,

Am sure by the time you try all this 2nyt, we would hear your story on PM news  grin
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by BodyKiss(m): 4:56pm On Oct 28, 2011
If you think of this op as a M.O.ron, what then would you call the mod that let this topic out to the frontpage?
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Okijajuju1(m): 5:03pm On Oct 28, 2011
BodyKiss:

If you think of this op as a M.O.ron, what then would you call the mod that let this topic out to the frontpage?

Probably the Mod uses condemned engine oil to cook jollof rice as it is cheaper than groundnut oil. grin
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by domack99(m): 5:07pm On Oct 28, 2011
I think you guys should read this, found on the web site.

How it all began
Not having a television, I had not heard about the blockade of oil refineries by the farmers and lorry drivers. I was therefore not unduly alarmed when I saw the queues forming at every petrol filling station in our area of North Wales, at the beginning of what was to become the fuel crisis in 2000. I had not realized that there was a spate of panic buying of petrol and diesel caused by the direct action against the supply of fuel. I assumed the next petrol station would not be so crowded, and I carried on with my business that day not wanting to waste time in queues. So by the time I did join a queue, I was nearly out of diesel, and my wife needed the car early in the morning to get to her early shift as a hospital nurse. She did not want to have to shop for diesel in the early hours.

When I got to the head of the queue I was confounded by a simple sign which read:-

Sorry, no diesel

But by then all the diesel was sold out, and every station told me that there would be no more supplies for days, maybe even weeks. I was desperate, but all I could do was to drive home hoping that the car would make it up the mountain to our house. I got home, fearing what I would have to tell my wife.

As I got out of the car I looked at our nearly full kerosene tank. How different was kerosene and diesel? I remembered how old TVO tractors seemed to start on one fuel and then burn another. I thought about it and what the risks might be. If anything, the car would not run, or it would coke with unburnt carbon, and that would soon clear if revved up. In any case I reconned that the short term use of an alternative fuel would not caused any major disaster.

So I drew about 10 liters of kerosene out of the central heating tank, and put it into the car. I shook the car a bit to mix the kerosene with what little diesel was left and I started the car. Nothing seemed different. The engine ran as it had before. I drove up the mountain road carefully, knowing that if anything went wrong I could at least drift down hill again and tell my wife the worst. But nothing went wrong. The car drove just as it did normally. So I added some more kerosene, and thinking that this may not have any form of upper cylinder lubricant, I added a litre of vegetable fat that we would otherwise have put in our chip pan. I did another test run and the car flew up the mountain. Instead of making the normal 'clickety-click' noise, this time the engine had a distinct 'grunt'. The exhaust had a nice smell as well. So I left the car half full of fuel and I told my wife nothing.

I spent the evening exploring the internet on alternative transport fuels, and that is how I discovered sites telling me all about how to make BIO-DIESEL. Early in the morning my wife drove the car to hospital unaware that she was breaking the law. When she returned later in the afternoon, concerned that we only had half a tank of diesel left, I asked if the car was OK. She looked a bit quissical but replied "It seemed OK - why?" In other words what is wrong with our heap of a car now? "And you had better get some fuel because they say there is no diesel anywhere around here" I felt a bit like the magician who can pull countless silk handkerchiefs out of a hat. "Don't worry about the need to get more fuel. I have that sussed."

Secretly, I continued to put more kerosene and vegetable fat into the car until normal diesel supplies were restored. But by now I was convinced that we should make some BIO-DIESEL, and I discussed the idea and copied pages of information to my practical friend Steve Williams. He was immediately enthusiastic. Unlike me, Steve is the sort of person who if he does not have an engine in pieces somewhere, is looking for one. He owned and once raced with a methanol burning motor-cycle, and knew something about the more unusual forms of engine.

We started getting the basic kit together, and contacted his friend Paddy to help with welding. Paddy was even more enthusiastic, and before we could blink, he had made a Waste Vegetable Oil conversion for his Mercedes van. This can be seen on the 'Goat Industries' website, and Paddy has gone on to develop an intricate conversion kit to enable most engines to run on SVO.

It was from this simple beginning that 'Bio-Power' was formed, to explore and exploit all ways by which organic oils and fats can be profitably used as fuels, thereby reducing significantly the environmental effects of burning fossil fuels. There is now a network of nearly 120 small businesses in the UK, and is involved in several major overseas contracts involving both processing plant and the supply of fuel.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by domack99(m): 5:19pm On Oct 28, 2011
One this advantage is that the cost of kerosine is higher than deisel.
Deisel engine uses compression ignition method for the combustion process and most of the design factors would have been consider for deisel as fuel, subjecting kerosine to that same factor in the machine might not ignite.
Please move this topic to engineering section if there is.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Duke007(m): 5:59pm On Oct 28, 2011
as an engineer wit several yrs experience wit diesel engine,l can tel u dat it is possible to run ur diesel engine wit 50% diesel and 50% kero,but then,u are killing ur machine cos both fuel ve different octane rating and ur diesel engine is calibrated wit dis octane rating.lf u continue wit dis practise,ur machine injector rotor head wil get damaged and l can tel u dat it cost a hell of a money to replace.Again,it wil affect d climbability of your truck ön hills plus the white smoke emision and oda orisirisi wahala.think twice b4 u do it.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by esiri4jesu(m): 6:26pm On Oct 28, 2011
It will work only if you are able to get the right mixing ratio. A friend does this and uses it for his generator.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by jude33084(m): 7:00pm On Oct 28, 2011
I am lovin nairaland 2day cheesy cheesy
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by megawave(m): 7:38pm On Oct 28, 2011

This is how they normally reason, 
you that you are not from Ekiti i could see how you reason.
It is possible i have tried it more than 100 times me with my younger brother on our Lister generator.
all we do is invade the kitchen get kerosine and mix with engine oil and finally mix with the little available diesel.
you must be sure ur engine is rugged enough to withstand this or be sure you get the perfect mixing ratio's.
I also used diesel to cook beans when i was in o.o.u
So its not if its a fact.
i also do a little of oil & gas. we call it rice and beans or "selense".
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by xpmode(m): 7:39pm On Oct 28, 2011
Well I can remember back in 2004 when i work in bakery, and its hard to get diesel, so what The owner of the bakery result to is to buy Kerosene and mixed it with Palm Oil (He was experience timber driver back in Ghana) so we do as he said and the Lista engine start, and Work through without Problem. the Only Drawback is that; the Kerosene combusted faster than the Diesel

But in all lets take note of :

Duke007:

as an engineer wit several yrs experience wit diesel engine,l can tel u dat it is possible to run your diesel engine wit 50% diesel and 50% kero,but then,u are killing your machine cos both fuel ve different octane rating and your diesel engine is calibrated wit dis octane rating.lf u continue wit dis practise,your machine injector rotor head wil get damaged and l can tel u dat it cost a hell of a money to replace.Again,it wil affect d climbability of your truck ön hills plus the white smoke emision and oda orisirisi wahala.think twice b4 u do it.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by nattyspice: 7:47pm On Oct 28, 2011
Please never try it.You will damage the nozzles injector pump and elements, >i spent almost 100 thousand naira replacing mine<Mack>.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by johndavid1(m): 7:49pm On Oct 28, 2011
Ijogz K:

I can see that you are the only sensible person here,  Lemme give you a detailed report of all you can do with pertrol apart from using with your stove,
1. Fry egg with petrol it is also regarded as oil
2. Drink petrol,  Its highly nutritional and it replaces lost fluids
3. Use it to rub your body and your skin would remain fresh,  

Am sure by the time you try all this 2nyt, we would hear your story on PM news  grin
grin grin grin grin grin Seconded
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by emperorlog: 9:28pm On Oct 28, 2011
well the honest truth is there are some Diesel dealers that mix some proportion of Kerosene with engine oil and then diesel itself and sell to truck drivers mostly on busy highways, i learnt its rampant in Suleja, giving it a try wont be bad but as soon as you start hearing some strange sounds, you can pull up. feed us back, grin
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Gbenge77(m): 2:21am On Oct 29, 2011
interesting replies.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Gbenge77(m): 2:27am On Oct 29, 2011
interesting replies.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Dvessel(m): 3:36am On Oct 29, 2011
if you need an advice on how to run your diesel gensets with low cost fuel oil or 'low pour fuel oil" (LPFO) send all your enquiries to agordglobal@yahoo.com, this is a home made technology that has been working on any type and model of diesel equipments
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by kaykaybaba(m): 5:57am On Oct 29, 2011
@OP your question is not unreasonble. I met a farmer about 3 weeks ago buying a carton of vegetable oil. I was so surprised I asked him why he needed so much veg. oil and he replied saying he mixes it with his diesel for his engine. He explained that he has a mixing ratio which works for him and he's been doing it for a while. He uses a different mix in winter from the one he uses in summer. If you're willing to take the risk then I'd advise you to do some research on the subject, and start slow. Good luck. By the way, I'm from Ekiti. We REASON grin grin grin
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by SirJohn(m): 6:17am On Oct 29, 2011
baconline:

@OP, this may very well work but I do not know of the long term effects. I dont also know about trucks but it works well on perkins and lister petter engines except that it burns faster; even pure DPK works on some diesel engines.
Find out which engine your truck runs on and whether it may have bad side effects on it, otherwise, you can give it a try. wink
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Ekiti1: 4:56pm On Oct 29, 2011
Okija_juju:

This is how they normally reason,   grin
If your statement above is anyfin to go by then your reasoning faculty must be lower than that of a mosquito in your (in)famous shrine.
Gòngòsú Èdìdàré.

@op
try it with a diesel kero ratio of 7:3
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by jmslimx(m): 8:03pm On Oct 29, 2011
You could actually do it with cooking gas, Most Ghana cabs use gas to run there cars as fuel price is high and easily burns, i am thinking of trying it on my car because if you buy a gas cylinder of 2800 it would last you upto 5days which is better, They dude showed me how he converted it and materials i need to use in the engine, simple stuff, But sha try get your Fire-extinguisher
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by member479760: 8:14am On Oct 30, 2011
why using kerosine if you can use water like me. simple electrolysis of H2O will do the job. the H2 is a high source of energy and burning like no man business while oxygen is release as by-product. just let me know if you need more info.

(1) (2) (Reply)

China To Ban Production Of 553 Car Models From Jan.1 To Fight Air Pollution / Watch Range Rover Sport Beats Ferrari's Record On China's 99-turn Tianmen Road / I can Help You Get Medical Report For Tinted Glass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.