Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,218 members, 7,807,745 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US (11406 Views)

EFCC Arrests Gov. Okorocha’s Aides For Pocketing N2 Billion Bailout Funds / Picture Of Gov Okorocha Demanding The Release Of Voters Held Illegally / Gov Okorocha Vs Fashola In Ear-wrestling (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by nduchucks: 11:27am On Oct 30, 2011
Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To Us - A Waste Of Our Resources

I hope someone can enlighten me about the benefits of this exchange program. I did a mental benefit cost analysis and reached the conclusion that Okorocha’s program is another waste of government revenue and possibly another scheme to enrich the program directors and others.

Okorocha’s people claim that it will create employment opportunities for them after the duration of the internship as the state hopes to attract some foreign investors through the scheme!  WTF kind of foreign investment will an exchange program which sends 60 students to Maryland for 6 month’s generate?

I don’t believe the government should be wasting our money in this manner.  Okorocha should have partnered with the private sector and found sponsors among them for the students instead of wasting state resources in this manner. Many able Imolites live in Maryland and are more than willing to sponsor students for 6 months – did Okorocha reach out to them? I think not.  duk barawo ne.

Sixty students from Imo state are billed to travel to the United States on a six-month internship programme next February. The Special Assistant to Imo State Governor on Youths’ Affairs, Nwabueze Henry, stated this in Abuja weekend while addressing newsmen.

He said the 60 successful candidates would be selected after the ongoing screening of the over 1000 applicants. It is part of Governor Okorocha’s Overseas’ Student Exchange Programme Initiative in the state. It is being done in conjunction with an international organisation, Centre for Energy Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland, USA.

“These youths were selected from Imo state higher institutions. While in the US, each will receive $7,000 as pocket expenses through their training. It will expose them to students from other countries. It is hoped that it will create employment opportunities for them after the duration of the internship as the state hopes to attract some foreign investors through the scheme. The next batch will be Imo state higher institution lecturers,” he said.

According to him, the beneficiaries were selected through the recommendation of their respective institutions based on their academic records. The chief consultant of Kwakaf International, an agency that partners the state in the scheme, Raphael Ugbo, said his agency accepted to render its services to the state because of the educational vision of the state governor.

He said, “It is to ensure that youths are developed in all spheres of human endevour so that at the end, they will be good ambassadors of not only the state but Nigeria.” He said Ghana is among West African countries where his agency’s services are being rendered, adding that over 200 youths from three states in Nigeria have benefited from the programme.

http://www.sundaytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8292:gov-okorocha-sponsors-60-imo-students-to-us-&catid=41:latest-news&Itemid=26

Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by igbo2011(m): 2:04pm On Oct 30, 2011
He should have had a foreign schol come to buy a Nigerian school and renovate it. This will mean more Nigerians stay at home instead of going abroad for school.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by otokx(m): 2:08pm On Oct 30, 2011
it had to show sooner than later perhaps.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by lebrejes: 2:20pm On Oct 30, 2011
dat is a wast of resources, Y not invest dat money in thier Edu.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by tosinaded(m): 2:42pm On Oct 30, 2011
Isnt he the same governor that went the state university and reduced the fees of the students on the spot and promised to renovate the sch?
How come the poster didnt tell us that?
We keep finding faults when there are no faults. . .
What is wrong with a scholarship for the best students?

This same gov dsnt travel with aides just to save public funds.

The same Gov dsnt use public fund to travel, even on official assignment. . .

Learn to balance up stories abt people abeg. . .

Isnt it his counterpart here in lagos that increase sch fees of Lasu up to 600% . . .
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by PointB: 3:48pm On Oct 30, 2011
@Op,
"In conjunction with . . . "
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Fhemmmy: 4:49pm On Oct 31, 2011
Nigeria want growth?
I really weep for that nation . . . . . .
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by OchukoII: 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2011
@Poster:
Usually, I enjoy reading posts and all without commenting. In this case, I felt your biased post needed a response.

Why is it that when people are trying to make things better the only thing you see is an ill motive? I think the fact that he is spending state resources on students from the state to grant them an opportunity to see things is a wise thing.

Okorocha may not be a saint, I know next to nothing about him, but please, if you have nothing constructive to say, then just keep your opinions to yourself.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Fhemmmy: 5:02pm On Oct 31, 2011
OchukoII:

@Poster:
Usually, I enjoy reading posts and all without commenting. In this case, I felt your biased post needed a response.

Why is it that when people are trying to make things better the only thing you see is an ill motive? I think the fact that he is spending state resources on students from the state to grant them an opportunity to see things is a wise thing.

Okorocha may not be a saint, I know next to nothing about him, but please, if you have nothing constructive to say, then just keep your opinions to yourself.

Anything good in him sending people to USA and on 7000$$ allowance, while our schools and training centres in Nigeria are left in ruins?
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by OchukoII: 5:07pm On Oct 31, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Anything good in him sending people to USA and on 7000$$ allowance, [b]while our schools and training centres in Nigeria are left in ruins?[/b]

I Doubt if it is Okorocha's duty to help the Federal government restructure the educational sector. He is doing what he can (within the limits of his Jurisdiction). As for the $7000, it sure seems like a lot when you consider the total sum, however, if the state would send them abroad for 6 months, the state should also cater for them. I am not sure $7000 is not too much, however I still think it is a good plan.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Ournaija: 5:08pm On Oct 31, 2011
Investing on Imo students has now become a waste?  embarassed

Na wa o. People finding faults where it never exist. Shior
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by PointB: 5:18pm On Oct 31, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Anything good in him sending people to USA and on 7000$$ allowance, while our schools and training centres in Nigeria are left in ruins?

There is nothing wrong either in sending a few hand-picked people to enjoy the benefit of better education in advanced clime. Would you rather he sponsor politicians on Hajj/Pilgrimage? Beside, why do you lose sight of the fact that Rochas Foundation had done similar thing ere he became Governor, or the fact that this move is
in conjunction with an international organisation, Centre for Energy Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland, USA.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chimaike: 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2011
Poster please don't critisize Okorocha for no just reason, u can never deny it that the training these guys will acquire in US can be the same with Nigeria. He is empowering them with knowledge, u dont force people to sponsor the program, the government can start and other Imolites can start. Abeg stop critisizing the man unjustly.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2011
chima ike:

Poster please don't critisize Okorocha for no just reason, u can never deny it that the training these guys will acquire in US can be the same with Nigeria. He is empowering them with knowledge, u dont force people to sponsor the program, the government can start and other Imolites can start. Abeg stop critisizing the man unjustly.
um . . . He does give you a good reason there. Why do you ignore that? What you ought to do is ensure that Rocha's is not turning state account into a giant charity pot.

Anyways, on this issue, as long as the students swear an affidavit to serve the state/give back upon completion of their various programes(taxpayer/state money assumed here). If the Governor is giving from his private pocket, that is good too but State money is not to be used for [b] self-glorification [/b]projects.  grin
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by gascoign1(m): 5:35pm On Oct 31, 2011
Okorocha thanks for your philanthropic gestures,however the people want social amenities,infrastructures,security,enabling environment to make their own money,food and good health care,
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by texazzpete(m): 5:41pm On Oct 31, 2011
OchukoII:

I Doubt if it is Okorocha's duty to help the Federal government restructure the educational sector. He is doing what he can (within the limits of his Jurisdiction). As for the $7000, it sure seems like a lot when you consider the total sum, however, if the state would send them abroad for 6 months, the state should also cater for them. I am not sure $7000 is not too much, however I still think it is a good plan.

There is an Imo State owned University (IMSU), you know
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by BigMeat2: 5:50pm On Oct 31, 2011
a better option would have a partnership with a foreign educational institution that will help to develop education in the state.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by ziccoit: 5:50pm On Oct 31, 2011
Good if a million student at home would not be neglected. 60 bright minds lifting the state up on progress while a million draging it down would definitely be counterproductive.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by mensdept: 5:51pm On Oct 31, 2011
PointB:

There is nothing wrong either in sending a few hand-picked people to enjoy the benefit of better education in advanced clime. Would you rather he sponsor politicians on Hajj/Pilgrimage? Beside, why do you lose sight of the fact that Rochas Foundation had done similar thing ere he became Governor, or the fact that this move is

You pretty much stole my thunder. You guys cant recall the frequent trips abroad that rogues like Ohakim and Orji Kalu made with their camps and what did that do? Or is it the folks copying the attires of Arabs and using government funds to dash to their "Big Brothers" in Arabia?

Our main problem is that the people are too childish, cowardish, and worse- COMPLACENT, even the latest generation. So if cant stand up against huge allocations for Senators that havent been in their state in 6 months, or to pay the numerous states that we shouldnt even have, then dont complain about Youths going abroad for further studies.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by EkoIle1: 5:53pm On Oct 31, 2011
Yet, the man is yet to build one single classroom, not even one hen cage. Talk about absurdities.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by boneruns(m): 5:59pm On Oct 31, 2011
Sincerely, it is a welcome development. No doubt, human development is the best a state/country can give its' citizen. So long the beneficiary can give back to the state what they learnt in the internship program.

But, I doubt if this opportunity was given to those who can't afford it themselves. I can bet with anything that this opportunity was given to rapacious government officials whose kids are studying in different institution of the state.

Once again I say, Okorocha, more power to your elbow. I must let him know, 10,000 genuine jobs given to Imolites during the previous administration is marred by avaricious officials since he assumed office.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by manny4life(m): 6:02pm On Oct 31, 2011
Big Meat:

a better option would have a partnership with a foreign educational institution that will help to develop education in the state.

Partnership with which school? Compare the associated cost of sending 60 students and inviting professors who earn 6figures to Nigeria and then tell me which is more expensive. That will be an option later on but for now, that's more expensive than anyone thinks. An exchange program is something that every student should engage in; it's very interesting, challenging and educative.

@OP, please paste your CBA on here let us see it,
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by mensdept: 6:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
boneruns:

Sincerely, it is a welcome development. No doubt, human development is the best a state/country can give its' citizen. So long the beneficiary can give back to the state what they learnt in the internship program.

But, I doubt if this opportunity was given to those who can't afford it themselves. I can bet with anything that this opportunity was given to rapacious government officials whose kids are studying in different institution of the state.

Once again I say, Okorocha, more power to your elbow. I must let him know, 10,000 genuine jobs given to Imolites during the previous administration is marred by avaricious officials since he assumed office.

True Dat. But even if they could afford it themselves, to get Palli for Yankee na hard thin. Even to book a date na wahala.
So if the government is considering such madness on the GRAB for America visa, its good they can be referenced for these students so they can go.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Yinkay: 6:11pm On Oct 31, 2011
Hope proper commitments has been made to ensure they all return back to apply their knowledge instead of dissapearing from there.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by PointB: 6:18pm On Oct 31, 2011
ziccoit:

Good if a million student at home would not be neglected. 60 bright minds lifting the state up on progress while a million draging it down would definitely be counterproductive.

In real life, millions look up to a few.

Obama, GEJ, even a despot like Buhari, and a rascal like Tinubu are all looked up to by millions. Thats how things work in real life. So no big deal, if selected few are given more exposure, than average exposure for all and sundry.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by texazzpete(m): 6:28pm On Oct 31, 2011
mens dept:

Our main problem is that the people are too childish, cowardish, and worse- COMPLACENT, even the latest generation. So if cant stand up against huge allocations for Senators that havent been in their state in 6 months, or to pay the numerous states that we shouldnt even have, then dont complain about Youths going abroad for further studies.

Please Provide proof that the large allowances the Senators collect comes from the Imo State account.

The poster is unhappy that Imo State funds are being used to fuel this scheme that he feels is wasteful. What does that have to do with Senators collecting furniture, housing and hooker allowance in Abuja?
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by kabirgym: 6:37pm On Oct 31, 2011
Nigerians would always speak as Nigerians. How is investing in the future of the youth in Imo State become a waste. Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Lets be reasonable here, If you that is currently condemning his move were to be the once sent to the State, would you kick against it? THINK OF IT!!!!. Congratulation Sir, GOV OKOROCHA Keep the Good Work!!!!!!!!
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by mensdept: 6:42pm On Oct 31, 2011
texazzpete:

Please Provide proof that the large allowances the Senators collect comes from the Imo State account.

The poster is unhappy that Imo State funds are being used to fuel this scheme that he feels is wasteful. What does that have to do with Senators collecting furniture, housing and hooker allowance in Abuja?

What type of stupid question is this. So they should continue to chop se?

Well the poster(and yourself) need not to be just unhappy, but mad as HELL that Nigeria stinks in almost everything, from Soccer to the Senate. The 3 Senators representing the state called Imo take home a yearly salary of about U.S. $ 1.40M, yes MILLION each, as do Senators from Ogun state (did you see that thread about the worst primary schools?) Zamfara, Delta, and Kaduna. Thats how much we spend on furnishing thieves and sending the bedsheet wearing ninjas to Arabia. So dont be silly about the idea of sending some college kids to Yankee next year when right now, you are being robbed by the current setup of the country
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Torch1(m): 6:46pm On Oct 31, 2011
Eko Ile:

Yet, the man is yet to build one single classroom, not even one hen cage. Talk about absurdities.
when he start building new schools, you will still come to say "let him renovate the old Schools first" Rochas has only stayed 5months in office, don't be in a haste to judge him. He promised to build 305 schools in Imo state, http://imostate.blog.com/2011/10/20/governor-okorocha-to-build-305-schools-in-imo-state/
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by brownieevelyn: 6:54pm On Oct 31, 2011
rubbish
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by iykak47: 7:01pm On Oct 31, 2011
Eko Ile:

At least it  is better to sponsor 60 Imo students to Usa than to increase school fee from 25,000 naira to 250,000 naira or to conspire with Justice Abdul Fatai Adeyinka to rig local government election.  Am sure tribalism wont allow you to pronounce ROCHAS FOUNDATION.         Mgbo piafukwa gi  isi, anu mpam
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Oct 31, 2011
mens dept:

What type of silly question is this. So they should continue to chop se?

Well the poster(and yourself) need not to be just unhappy, but mad as HELL that Nigeria stinks in almost everything, from Soccer to the Senate. The 3 Senators representing the state called Imo take home a yearly salary of about U.S. $ 1.40M, yes MILLION each, as do Senators from Ogun state (did you see that thread about the worst primary schools?) Zamfara, Delta, and Kaduna. Thats how much we spend on furnishing thieves and sending the bedsheet wearing ninjas to Arabia. So dont be silly about the idea of sending some college kids to Yankee next year when right now, you are being robbed by the current setup of the country

He asked you a valid question. Why do you need the people to first consider their mistakes on the national scene before they can comment on what is happening on the more local/state level ? What has Zamfara to do with Imo?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Card Reader Not Included In Electoral (Amendment) Bill / Without Igbos, Nigeria Will Be Boring / Federal High Court Accredited Journalists, Not DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.