Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? (4257 Views)

Three Nigerian Languages Make Up Top 10 Most Popular Languages In All Of Africa / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by lacewiggal: 6:25pm On Oct 30, 2011
Hi everyone,

So I wanted to start a game that is fun and will also be enlightening for some of us. I remember in primary school, my social studies textbook always said "Nigeria has over 200 languages but the major ones are Yoruba, Hausa and Ibo". Wikipedia even says we have a WHOPPING 521 LANGUAGES!!!! I've been fortunate enough to be from one other "197 or so" and so i have been more aware of the minority tribes maybe because most times we are "overlooked" by our brothers from the major tribes :-), However, even I just realized that I only know of the names a few of these languages myself. So for the benefit of those who are not familiar with the other languages, lets play this game.

RULES:
1. Name 5 of the other languages in Nigeria
2. You can't repeat a name that someone else has mentioned.
3. No tribalism or slurs or derogatory comments
4. ENJOY!!!!

I'll start ,

Ibibio, Bassa, Igala, Ebira, Nupe
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by emofine(f): 7:35pm On Oct 30, 2011
Kanuri, Ijaw, Urhobo, Fulfulde, Edo
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by odumchi: 7:55pm On Oct 30, 2011
Efik, Idoma, Ogoni, Ejagham, Annang
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by AndreUweh(m): 8:41pm On Oct 30, 2011
@the poster, I can't believe that till this day, you are still spelling Ibo. Does it mean your keyboard can not type Igbo?.
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by lakal(m): 9:59pm On Oct 30, 2011
Mumuye, Yakurr, Bariba, Egun, Isoko
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by AndreUweh(m): 10:20pm On Oct 30, 2011
Briom, Angas, Itsekiri, Tiv, Etsako.
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by Amujale(m): 7:08am On Oct 31, 2011
Aboh, Ekoi, Fula, Kalabari, Kamuku
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by sexysunnyb(m): 9:25am On Oct 31, 2011
BOKO HARAM, MILLITANT,OPC, grin cool
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by doubella: 9:26am On Oct 31, 2011
birom, angas, babur, chala, tarok
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by unongu(m): 9:34am On Oct 31, 2011
Etilo (Benue), Egede (Benue), Ufia (Benue), Ibaji (Kogi), and Kutep (Taraba).
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by oyinlolami(f): 9:36am On Oct 31, 2011
Isoko, Iyalla, Ijebu, Bini, Utokon
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by Sholaf(f): 9:58am On Oct 31, 2011
Badagry Egun
Kogi Ebira
Niger Gbaagyi & Nupe
Ondo Ukaan & Izon
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by omaojo1: 10:06am On Oct 31, 2011
Sorry i'll have have to break the no-repeat caveat.

Igala, Idoma, Tiv, Igbo, Yoruba.
And I can speak all of these.
unongu:

Etilo (Benue), Egede (Benue), Ufia (Benue), Ibaji (Kogi), and Kutep (Taraba).

Are you from Benue?
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by gigabytes: 10:09am On Oct 31, 2011
You pple are doing great work here. Kudos, Am learning. Pls more,
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by untainted: 11:06am On Oct 31, 2011
bachama, higi, chamba, jonjo and bata all in adamawa state
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by begwong: 11:08am On Oct 31, 2011
KAGOMA, JABA, ATYAP,BAJJU, KANINKON All in kaduna state(southern to be precise) smiley
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by pkv(m): 11:15am On Oct 31, 2011
Bajuu,atyap(those dudes wey nearly xterminate hausa pple wey dey zango kataf),jaba,agrowk,ikulu,kadara,moro'a, all 4rm southern kaduna
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by gigabytes: 11:22am On Oct 31, 2011
Egba, Remo, Ijebu, Agoshasha, Owode/ifo (dont know what they call their language) ALL in Ogun State even more.
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by gigabytes: 11:26am On Oct 31, 2011
For Lagos.
Linlin(Badagry), Yoruba(General language in Lagos), Ijebu (Epe/Ikorodu), the Eyo language (Tapa) indiginous Island language)) and Ajase Even more.
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by Torch1(m): 11:42am On Oct 31, 2011
lacewiggal:
I remember in primary school, my social studies textbook always said "Nigeria has over 200 languages but the major ones are Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo and not Ibo".
@OP, there is no tribe in Nigeria called Ibo, i only know about Igbo and that is my tribe.
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by Torch1(m): 12:01pm On Oct 31, 2011
1)Itsekiri. 2)Urhobo. 3)Kalabhari/Okrika, 4)Igala, 5)Ibibio, 6)Ijaw, 7)Nupe(Niger state), coolKanuri(Borno state), 9)Idoma, 10)Bariba(Kwara state)
omaojo1:

Sorry i'll have have to break the no-repeat caveat.

Igala, Idoma, Tiv, Igbo, Yoruba.
And I can speak all of these.
Are you kidding??
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by MPEROR: 12:23pm On Oct 31, 2011
ekid,oron
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 31, 2011
languages? including regional dialects or not?
for instance, Yoruba, would be the language and dialects would be Egba, ijebu, ekiti, and such and such, so can we or not?
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 31, 2011
since we are correcting , IGBO is not a tribe, it's an ethnicity, undecided

[quote][/quote]

Torch1 (m)
Nigeria

Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria?
« #19 on: Today at 11:42:06 AM »
Quote from: lacewiggal on Yesterday at 06:25:46 PM
I remember in primary school, my social studies textbook always said "Nigeria has over 200 languages but the major ones are Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo and not Ibo".
@OP, there is no tribe in Nigeria called Ibo, i only know about Igbo and that is my tribe.
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by sleekymag(m): 2:39pm On Oct 31, 2011
Ishan (also called Esan), Etsako, Akoko-Edo, Bini, Urhobo
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by gbogboti: 3:15pm On Oct 31, 2011
Gbogom, Mwagavul, Taroh, Chala, Anang, Ugep, Kwoi, Kaba, Ngas, Afizere
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by ojofu(m): 4:00pm On Oct 31, 2011
Akweya (akpa)-Benue state.
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by juman(m): 4:00pm On Oct 31, 2011
Ashe - Kaduna
Asu - Niger
Atsam - Kaduna
Bakpinka - Cross rivers
Boko - Niger, Kebbi
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by EfeEkarume(m): 2:10pm On Nov 01, 2011
C++ Basic Pascal Pidgin and em, Q Basic!
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by NwaIkenga(m): 11:56pm On Nov 01, 2011
Oops! I didn't read all the rules, the ones I put have been said before. Ndo (sorry)!
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by BlackLibya: 12:28am On Nov 02, 2011
languages? including regional dialects or not?
for instance,  Yoruba,  would be the language and dialects would be Egba, ijebu, ekiti, and such and such,  so can we or not?

Then one would have to break fulfulde into pular, pulaar, futa djallon, etc. etc,
Re: Can You Name 5 Of The "other" Languages In Nigeria? by emofine(f): 8:53am On Nov 06, 2011
Shuwa Arabic, Bina, Gbari, Ngizim, Pidgin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Ibibio Historically Igbo But Politically Akwa Ibom..facts And Fictions / Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In / Oba Oloto Of Otto Town Reportedly Dead, Oba Ganiyu Odesanya Okeide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.