Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

The English Language Is Racist! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The English Language Is Racist! (5037 Views)

What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? / Not Every Somali Is Racist. / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 3:14pm On Oct 31, 2011
Think about it, whenever it is black or dark it is always bad. Black list, blac ball, black sheep, black out etc. Those are all bad things. Dark is always evil. The dark side (bad side),

Definition of black: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/black

5. Soiled, as from soot; dirty
6. Evil; wicked
7. Cheerless and depressing; gloomy
9. Marked by anger or sullenness
11. Deserving of, indicating, or incurring censure or dishonor

The only time black is good when its Black Friday. When you are in the black that means: On the credit side of a ledger; prosperous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition of dark: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dark

6. Characterized by gloom; dismal

7. Sullen or threatening

10. Lacking enlightenment, knowledge, or culture

11. Exhibiting or stemming from evil characteristics or forces; sinister

in the dark
2. In a state of ignorance; uninformed

As long as we use black and dark to describe us this is bad for us. We must change our official language to a better language. Maybe hausa or Swahili.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by exotik: 3:30pm On Oct 31, 2011
We must change our official language to a better language. Maybe hausa or Swahili.

why not igbo?

1 Like

Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 3:42pm On Oct 31, 2011
exotik:

why not igbo?

Hausa and Swahili are spoken by more people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Africa
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by exotik: 4:05pm On Oct 31, 2011
so because they are spoken by more people makes them better?
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 4:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
No they are not better. but it doesn't matter what language we speak as long as it is African. While we are fighting over language or culture the foreignors are exploiting us and stealing resources. We must unite with on language, let's stop dividing so much.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by exotik: 4:44pm On Oct 31, 2011
lol, so u honestly believe because we speak different languages is the root of our problems? and when we adopt one language, we will all be united against our so-called enemies and our problems would be resolved? that’s a rather simplistic approach.

and u are propagating this because you don’t like the english definition of the word “black”. so how about you just stop calling yourself black, and start identifying as brown or yellow or whatever color you deem fit?  don’t you think that will be better instead of adopting another language entirely and doing away with yours?

and oh, i guess u dont mind identifying as nigerian even though the word nigeria was derived from the word niger which is another european-word meaning black? so maybe we should also rename the entire country as abokiria derived from the hause word aboki meaning friend?
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Rgp92: 5:56pm On Oct 31, 2011
I support! Hausa or swahili or Yoruba or igbo cheesy
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 6:03pm On Oct 31, 2011
exotik:

lol, so u honestly believe because we speak different languages is the root of our problems? and when we adopt one language, we will all be united against our so-called enemies and our problems would be resolved? that’s a rather simplistic approach.

and u are propagating this because you don’t like the english definition of the word “black”. so how about you just stop calling yourself black, and start identifying as brown or yellow or whatever color you deem fit? don’t you think that will be better instead of adopting another language entirely and doing away with yours?

and oh, i guess u dont mind identifying as nigerian even though the word nigeria was derived from the word niger which is another european-word meaning black? so maybe we should also rename the entire country as abokiria derived from the hause word aboki meaning friend?

Thomas Sankara changed the name of his country to Burkina Faso which means land of the upright men. Nigeria should do the same and do it in a hausa word. All of Africa should unite with Swahili and we can keep our indiginous languages like Igbo or Yoruba. This is a start. If we unite with language hten we will find more things in common. We shouldn't unite with a forign language, only an African one.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by exotik: 7:12pm On Oct 31, 2011
ok then, nigeria should be renamed abokiria, and henceforth we should all be called abokis. is that cool with u? grin
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 12:03am On Nov 08, 2011
exotik:

ok then, nigeria should be renamed abokiria, and henceforth we should all be called abokis. is that cool with u? grin

Yes let's do it.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by saraj(f): 3:12am On Nov 08, 2011
igbo2011:

Yes let's do it.

Good for you! I take this wll be your last
time uttering or writing another word in
English.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Booshman(m): 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2011
exotik:

Non-Nigerian here. What's "Abokiria" mean?
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 4:43am On Nov 09, 2011
sara j:

Good for you! I take this wll be your last
time uttering or writing another word in
English.

Not yet but I am trying to learn more languages.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by sam4all(m): 4:45am On Nov 09, 2011
ok, well
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by sam4all(m): 4:49am On Nov 09, 2011
if we dont take time our language will die because we now use now used, foreign language to teach our children more than own own.
thank
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 5:16pm On Nov 09, 2011
sam4all:

if we dont take time our language will die because we now use now used, foreign language to teach our children more than own own.
thank

We wouldn eed to transfer many books into our native language. We could always learn in English but still talk among ourselves in the native language.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by ezeagu(m): 9:19pm On Nov 09, 2011
igbo2011:

Thomas Sankara changed the name of his country to Burkina Faso which means land of the upright men. Nigeria should do the same and do it in a hausa word.

Where exactly are you from?
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by Russialane(m): 12:38am On Nov 10, 2011
:-x
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 4:20pm On Nov 10, 2011
ezeagu:

Where exactly are you from?

Originally from Igboland
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by lepasharon(f): 8:05pm On Nov 10, 2011
Excuse me Is there anyone on this world who is BLACK?? We are different shades of brown.When whites called us blacks it wasnt just random they did it on purpose.
and from the time of slavery the made us call them White to signify purity
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 2:29pm On Nov 16, 2011
Booshman:

Non-Nigerian here. What's "Abokiria" mean?
exotik:

Re: The English Language Is Racist! by phreakabit(m): 2:35pm On Nov 16, 2011
God bless whoever created this thread! Whats even better you are Igbo . . . . . That makes you Super cool (No tribalism intended just compliments from on brother to another) .
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:09pm On Nov 16, 2011
igbo2011:

We must change our official language to a better language. Maybe hausa or Swahili.

This is stu.pid. so are you telling us that you want to start another ethno-tribal war different groups will always oppose. angry

english is fine for now. it has a wide vocabulary and is compatible to all groups.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by phreakabit(m): 7:41pm On Nov 16, 2011
igbo2011:

As long as we use black and dark to describe us this is bad for us. We must change our official language to a better language. Maybe hausa or Swahili.

Umm, That part . . . . . I dont see the connection besides theres no way on earth I am going to start speaking some Hausa crap as my official language when I know how to speak the most beautiful language on earth already (and I dont mean English) .
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:56pm On Nov 16, 2011
Haussa is not c.rap. please show some respect to our language.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 12:12am On Nov 17, 2011
phreakabit:

Umm, That part . . . . . I dont see the connection besides theres no way on earth I am going to start speaking some Hausa crap as my official language when I know how to speak the most beautiful language on earth already (and I dont mean English) .

As in better language I mean AFRICAN language. We need to unite with one language. I don't care if it is Hausa, Swahili, Yoruba, Igbo, Xhosa, Aashanti, etc. We need to unite.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:51pm On Nov 17, 2011
igbo2011:

As in better language I mean AFRICAN language. We need to unite with one language. I don't care if it is Hausa, Swahili, Yoruba, Igbo, Xhosa, Aashanti, etc. We need to unite.

define Africa. does it include the arab areas like libya, egypt, etc

also unity in language can only be truly achieved with geographical unity. and we might have to invent a new language, because, say me as a Haussa would never agree Yoruba to be the official language of Africa. it is just unfair.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by redsun(m): 8:12pm On Nov 17, 2011
The only time black is positively used is when it is got to do with bank account. An account in black tend to be credible. Another good use for black is black gold-oil. Oyinbo language is the bane of blackman disillusionment.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 11:59pm On Nov 17, 2011
redsun:

The only time black is positively used is when it is got to do with bank account. An account in black tend to be credible. Another good use for black is black gold-oil. Oyinbo language is the bane of blackman disillusionment.
For accountants, yes black is good. But black gold is BAD. They say BLACK because many people die for the oil. Just like in the Niger Delta, Iraq, Iran, etc.
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by igbo2011(m): 12:02am On Nov 18, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

define Africa. does it include the arab areas like libya, egypt, etc

also unity in language can only be truly achieved with geographical unity. and we might have to invent a new language, because, say me as a Haussa would never agree Yoruba to be the official language of Africa. it is just unfair.
We need to STOP CARING man. I am Igbo and I will speak Yoruba or Hausa if it is the national language. Ass we divide each other people are STEALING from us. We should unite against them.

Yes North Africa is included as well. The Moors colonized Spain, Italy, south france, and portugal for 780 years. It was mostly chocolate Africans and there were Arabs too. We should be MOOR NATION!!!

Watch this video to understand more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKgyAxqD9mQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:18am On Nov 18, 2011
we cant include the arab areas though. i hate arabs. tongue
Re: The English Language Is Racist! by phreakabit(m): 11:33am On Nov 18, 2011
Honestly I think it should start from the educational sector. There should be compulsory changes made in all books/publications with the word BLACK used[b] in reference[/b] to sub-Saharan Africans. I started hearing people refer to Sub-Saharan Africans as "black" right from primary school, so it some how got stuck in my consciousness. I think the easiest way to kill this BIG PROBLEM is starting from the schools.

BTW: The North Africans "call themselves" Mediterraneans! LOL. Also there is nothing wrong in speaking English. Africa has just too many languages to pick one . Besides you dont expect more than half of the entire continent to start learning a new language from scratch ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Can't Believe We Still Do This In Nigeria / Arewacin Maza Da Mata / Edo Language Now Compulsory In Edo Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.