Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,769 members, 7,798,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) (5560 Views)

A Song Of Ice And Fire By George Martin / Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. / A Song Of Ice And Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kaykaybaba(m): 8:21am On Nov 01, 2011
I recently saw the movie series that is based on George R.R Martin's books, and I really enjoyed the series. I realised I have had the eBooks for a long time even though I hadn't been able to get to it. Anyway I started the books right after (I rather prefer reading books before I watch their movie adaptations), and I loved the books at the start, but as I go along I'm not too sure of how I feel again. The writer doesn't seem to follow conventional rules of writing. I was wondering if anyone else has read the books/feels the same way. I wouldn't mind recommendations for other great fantasy epics as well
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by greymatter: 2:12am On Jun 05, 2012
Pls how can I get the book to download? I it PDF?
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kaykaybaba(m): 7:21pm On Jun 17, 2012
I could send the pdf to you if you want..

1 Like

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by MyneWhite1(f): 10:39pm On Jun 17, 2012
What do you mean by the "conventional rules of writing"?
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kaykaybaba(m): 8:33pm On Jun 18, 2012
What I mean is, stories usually have central characters as a rule, and you get to like heroes/heroines in a book. These people tend to stay safe till the end (generally), since the story revolves around them. With George Martin's series, you have heroes and also 'anti-heroes', and he doesn't seem to respect any of his characters. One minute you're really getting into someone in the story, the next, he kills them off. And it happens far too often for my taste. In the end, you have a tendency to read the books with a detached air since any favorite might end up dead at any point in time.

1 Like

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by MyneWhite1(f): 10:58pm On Jun 21, 2012
I almost asked that but did not want to preempt you. smiley

Well, it's a new day for writers, also I think things will be sorted out by the end.

2 Likes

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kay9(m): 8:40am On Jun 22, 2012
I've read the books too, and yes, i watched series first too. The books started out really wonderfully and i was convinced i was reading the next best thing since Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. But sad to say, and remember its just my opinion, the quality of the books started deteriorating after the third installment - A Storm of Swords, i think.

I think the major problem is that our dear author got kinda lazy... If i remember right, it took him over 5 years between the 4th and 5th book; the amusing thing is that both books are supposed to be 2 parts of the same book. Mmmm. After the 5th, Dance with Dragons, which ended with a rather boring cliff-hanger, i just got tired of the whole thing.
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kaykaybaba(m): 12:11am On Jun 25, 2012
@Myne_white I'm sure things will be sorted; my fear is whether I'll be satisfied with the sorting or not. I've come so far, even if I'm disappointed (like Christopher Paolini's last book) I won't stop. @Kay9 I agree with you somewhat. It does seem like GRRM fell into a pattern himself (while trying to break out of tradition)
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kay9(m): 8:18am On Jun 25, 2012
^^^ I read a review of the last book online one time like that, i wan laff die grin It was simply: It is known. It is known. It is known. And truly the author really scattered "it is known" all over that book!

1 Like

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kay9(m): 8:18am On Jun 25, 2012
**double post
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kaykaybaba(m): 11:28am On Jun 27, 2012
grin The books are really well written though. No arguments there. Even if it was peppered with "It is known"

1 Like

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by MyneWhite1(f): 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2012
I always tell people, well written is relative. It is a book I enjoyed obviously, but I think it is padded and could have been summarized/edited better
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kay9(m): 11:56pm On Jun 27, 2012
^^ Guess u have a point, Myne. GRRM's power of description is really really flawless. But the plot...ah, the plot... The plot is now obese cheesy
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kaykaybaba(m): 11:46am On Jun 28, 2012
That's what you get when you write a book past the 3rd one lol. Its nearly inevitable. There must be padding . . and GRRM manages his much better than a lot of authors out there grin

1 Like

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kay9(m): 2:49pm On Jun 30, 2012
^^ U could have a theory here, who remembers the Sword of Shannara books? grin
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by kaykaybaba(m): 9:06pm On Jun 30, 2012
Ha! Terry Goodkind? I didn't start at all. I have them, but after reading 'The Sword of Truth' series I just kinda chilled on Terry Goodkind lol. Are they good?
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by moski5(m): 11:38am On Jun 27, 2014
kaykaybaba: Ha! Terry Goodkind? I didn't start at all. I have them, but after reading 'The Sword of Truth' series I just kinda chilled on Terry Goodkind lol. Are they good?

do mail them to me if you can thanks hildash2@gmail.com
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by obanqua(m): 11:09am On Sep 09, 2014
Please send me the book in pdf.
obanqua@hotmail.com
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by ConstyIV: 2:42pm On Apr 27, 2015
Abeg,send me the books 4 and 5..argon4real@yahoo.com
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 27, 2015
has anyone tried the malazan book of the fallen. it is a series consisting of 10 books. It is awesome nd has a lot of sarcasm and dark humour. d only downside is that dere are a lot of characters, u might get lost a bit bt u will find ur way wink

1 Like

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by tayotemowo(m): 4:21pm On Apr 11, 2016
Well sincerely I don't know what book you guys are talking about but I'm sure it's not the game of thrones collections which I've read and as far as I'm concerned GRRM as you guys have christianed him can do no wrong. The book in my opinion couldn't be better written any other way. OK tell me who would you have preferred be the main character? Ned Stark? Who is too stiff? Rob Stark? who isn't intelligent in anyway, or any of the Baratheons please I don't see any heroes in this guys. But Jon Snow, Arya Stark and the dragon mother now this are truly worthy heroes and my main man Thyrion Lannister that's my best person in the book all of this one's are still alive and you keep saying he's killing of the main characters. Please he's on the right path oh there's still the Jon Snow part I mentioned as still a main character. I'm practically writing his book for him. The presence of Lady Melissandre tells me he'll be brought back to life since he had to die to leave the brotherhood of black and he couldn't do the things he has to do while he's a brother, that's why they say and now his watch is over (in fact I believe it is so we can know this fact that we were shown some funeral of some brothers) he's going to be brought back to life just as Starks wife was brought to life.
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by tayotemowo(m): 4:37pm On Apr 11, 2016
kaykaybaba:
Ha! Terry Goodkind? I didn't start at all. I have them, but after reading 'The Sword of Truth' series I just kinda chilled on Terry Goodkind lol. Are they good?

Please send me a copy of that book too if you can @ tayotemowo@gmail.com. Also in case anybody is interested in book like this to read please go for beautiful creatures, I am number 4, twilight saga all this I've read (also have their soft copies too in case you're interested) and seen the movies too but you can't compare the movies to in anyway except they just help you explain the movies to people who haven't read the books.
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by antispexish(m): 1:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
kaykaybaba:
I recently saw the movie series that is based on George R.R Martin's books, and I really enjoyed the series. I realised I have had the eBooks for a long time even though I hadn't been able to get to it. Anyway I started the books right after (I rather prefer reading books before I watch their movie adaptations), and I loved the books at the start, but as I go along I'm not too sure of how I feel again. The writer doesn't seem to follow conventional rules of writing. I was wondering if anyone else has read the books/feels the same way. I wouldn't mind recommendations for other great fantasy epics as well

last year, I started watching game of thrones series, but I stopped when I realised that the John snows father was actually killed( I watched some episodes after the beheading believing it was someone that looks like him that was killed and not him). For a while I was angry sha, "wish kain series be dis". then some one on nairaland mentioned that the series was from a book and I decided to download and read all.

If one wants to read or watch game of thrones, just put it at the back of your mind that the author does not determine long life based on character. I kept on wishing for vengeance, but the book is more about reality and the quest for power.
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by South4gate: 7:25pm On Jul 13, 2016
Please can I get the PDF of the novel series
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by obanqua(m): 4:37pm On Aug 19, 2016
Drop your email, I can send to you. I have books 1- 5 in PDF

South4gate:
Please can I get the PDF of the novel series
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by obanqua(m): 4:40pm On Aug 19, 2016
I have books 1-5 of game of thrones, drop your email if interested. Its FOC...
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by ypeace: 2:45pm On Nov 02, 2016
obanqua:

I have sent you a pm, please reply.
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by femarse: 7:45am On Nov 03, 2016
obanqua:

fem9992003@gmail.com

pls i will be expecting

thanks so much
regards
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by obanqua(m): 8:46pm On Nov 06, 2016
Hello, I tried replying your pm, it failed a no of times. Pls drop email. Regards

ypeace:

I have sent you a pm, please reply.
Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by obanqua(m): 8:55pm On Nov 06, 2016
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84ehvejk00gzbxm/AADu5ffjgx2A4GnUCjRrRUeha?dl=0

obanqua:
Drop your email, I can send to you. I have books 1- 5 in PDF

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by obanqua(m): 8:56pm On Nov 06, 2016

1 Like

Re: A Song Of Ice And Fire (game Of Thrones) by obanqua(m): 8:57pm On Nov 06, 2016
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84ehvejk00gzbxm/AADu5ffjgx2A4GnUCjRrRUeha?dl=0

femarse:

fem9992003@gmail.com

pls i will be expecting

thanks so much
regards

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sex, Lies, & Puff Puff (part I) / The Firewall / Personality Traits To Admire And Acquire [must Read]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.