Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,400 members, 7,808,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? (4171 Views)

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants / See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by shinystar(m): 6:00pm On Nov 01, 2011
Just wondering if this new law is working at all.

Are there tenants that have tested the law?

Any conviction or prosecution?

Or are there tricks landlords are devising to beat the law?
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by Divi1: 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2011
I am yet to see results. It is still a seller's market.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by spyder880(m): 7:17pm On Nov 01, 2011
Na wao!
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by shinystar(m): 10:24pm On Nov 01, 2011
Maybe it's because tenants are too scared to make reports or something.

By now, there should have been conviction or prosecution.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by Boyoorisha: 9:56am On Nov 02, 2011
It's working! Majority of landlords now take one year rent as against the formal mandatory two yrs. It's a gradual thing
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by Carlosein(m): 10:16am On Nov 02, 2011
^^^do you have any (personal) experience?
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by biilwwu(m): 10:21am On Nov 02, 2011
No one to implement it
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by walcolm(m): 10:23am On Nov 02, 2011
personally i think most landlord (at least the educated ones) have seen that this law even favors them. most of these guys have collected 2yrs rent in the past and know that waiting for 2yrs to see revenue from an investment is not fun

i'd rather have a sure inflow yearly on a property.that way i have more control on how soon i can terminate a bad contract, if the market moves and an increase in rent is justifiable i'm not tied to a 2yr contract that prevents me from benefiting from that movt
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by DAY12(m): 10:33am On Nov 02, 2011
Of course is working in some part of mainland and lekki, most landlord are now accepting one yr rent.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by funmeme(f): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2011
working ke, for where, a friend of mine got a 2bedroom flat in lekki after so much struggle to get her choice only for the land lord to insist on 2yrs payment ofwhich my friend only has 1.3m for one yr, she begged, cried but to no avail. struggle continues as she has started looking for anothe one, i feel for her sha ,
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by na2day(m): 10:38am On Nov 02, 2011
The rent is for one year now but the cost is almost the amount being paid for two years 6months ago!
So who is wiser?

Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by highland(m): 10:53am On Nov 02, 2011
it reveals how weak our govt goes about the business of law making and implementation.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by DAY12(m): 11:05am On Nov 02, 2011
funmeme:

working ke, for where, a friend of mine got a 2bedroom flat in lekki after so much struggle to get her choice only for the land lord to insist on 2yrs payment ofwhich my friend only has 1.3m for one yr, she begged, cried but to no avail. struggle continues as she has started looking for anothe one, i feel for her sha ,

I don't believe you, I have so many vacant 2br flat in lekki right now for just 1yr rent only.

Let your friend call me asap. sad
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by initiator(m): 11:38am On Nov 02, 2011
Most landlords, I gather, have exploited the law by hiking the amount to be paid for one year's rent. They now charge the same money of 2 years for one year. How can you explain what I learnt that a 3 bedroom in yaba is going for 750k.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by kufreabasi(m): 11:56am On Nov 02, 2011
The new law does not have any effect on landlords and their agent at all instead it is getting worst everyday. Imagine a small dirty room i went to rent, i was asked to pay N4000 of each and two years with aggreement and commission N50k + N50k.
I even begged for one year, i was told to go and meet Fashola to give me house.
Surulere landlords and their agents are wicked
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by walcolm(m): 12:11pm On Nov 02, 2011
initiator:

Most landlords, I gather, have exploited the law by hiking the amount to be paid for one year's rent. They now charge the same money of 2 years for one year. How can you explain what I learnt that a 3 bedroom in yaba is going for 750k.

thats not entirely true, my apartment in yaba was 1 million almost 2yrs ago. yeah 3bedroom flat

that had nothing to do with tenancy law and i saw many apartments like that in the yaba axis that are priced at a premium
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by walcolm(m): 12:13pm On Nov 02, 2011
funmeme:

lekki Ikoyi, VI and Ikeja i believe are some of the areas exempt from the 2yr tenancy law
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by cynclara: 12:21pm On Nov 02, 2011
It was already at work at Lekki before it was made a law so question is: is it working in the mainland?
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by llexie: 12:31pm On Nov 02, 2011
It is working as a result my Landlady called me to increase my rent.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by stillme(m): 12:38pm On Nov 02, 2011
It's working. My friend just collected a room and parlour selfcontain. The agent demanded for a year.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by stillme(m): 12:39pm On Nov 02, 2011
It's working. My friend just collected a room and parlour selfcontain. The agent demanded for a year.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by stillme(m): 12:40pm On Nov 02, 2011
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by coderXO(m): 12:49pm On Nov 02, 2011
I believe it is.

Many landords are now taking 1 year.

Thank God!
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by coderXO(m): 12:50pm On Nov 02, 2011
Yaba, N1m ke?
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by KacHemNaU(m): 1:24pm On Nov 02, 2011
Residents in lagos are in trouble
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by adeaminu: 2:51pm On Nov 02, 2011
please naira lander do you have idea of min flat at yaba area i mean room and parlor toilet bath room and kitchen will worth.please i need your reply.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by itiswell1(m): 5:16pm On Nov 02, 2011
I pray this thing works o. My rent will soon expire
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by blank(f): 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2011
I have just paid 6 months rent in Lekki.
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by Remii(m): 9:02pm On Nov 02, 2011
blank:

I have just paid 6 months rent in Lekki.

the law excludes Lekki, VI, Ikoyi, Ikeja and Apapa
Re: Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? by blank(f): 5:52am On Nov 03, 2011
@ Remi, I know but I doubt my landlord does. Anyway, the guy accepted it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2 BEDROOM TERRACE & 4 BEDROOM DUPLEXES , EMCEL COURT, ORCHID, LEKKI LAGOS / 3 Bedrm (1), 2 Bedrm (3), Room and Parlor self contained (9), Shops (3) + Pix / ** 4 bedroom duplex in Chevy view estate . Lekki . N 3.5m p/a (+pix's) **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.