Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped (5026 Views)

Nigerian Gay Activists Protest, Ask Buhari To Repeal Nigeria's Antigay Law (Pics / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage / Human Rights Activists Protesting In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by asha80(m): 7:01pm On Nov 01, 2011
man-lover rights activists want Nigerian homophobic bill dropped
On November 1, 2011 · In News

ABUJA  (AFP) – A Nigerian lady-loving-lady physician burst into tears Monday as she made a case to lawmakers to stop parliament from passing a bill that seeks to criminalise same-sex marriage.

The bill, which has passed the second reading in the senate, calls for a three-year jail term for anyone involved in a same-sex marriage and five years for those that abet or aid the solemnisation of such unions.

Otibho Obiowu spoke for the lady-loving-ladies, man-loving-men, Bisexuals, Transexuals and Intersex in Diaspora (LGBTID) group at a senate-organised public hearing on the proposed law.

About a dozen other members of the group attended the session and were under police protection to prevent any harassment from members of the public.

In tears, she told the panel that “LGBTID rights are human rights.”

“The fundamental human rights of intimate minorities are violated daily because of criminalisation of same sex relationship and societal prejudice,” Obiowu said.

She said the consensus among scholars is that intimate orientation is not a choice and the bill “aims to punish people for what is essentially not their making

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/man-lover-rights-activists-want-nigerian-homophobic-bill-dropped/
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by asha80(m): 7:02pm On Nov 01, 2011
i never thought i would live to see the day this will become a hot issue in nigeria.i actually saw this debate on tv on nta.

bia seun what is wrong with the word G A Y? man lover doesn't G A Y cover L E S B I A N I S M? undecided
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by OmoLisabi(m): 7:37pm On Nov 01, 2011
Criminality, absurdity, immorality starts and ends with ibos.

[size=50pt]Otibho Obiowu[/size]
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by jason123: 7:40pm On Nov 01, 2011
^^^
He who has not sinned should case the first stone (John 8:7)
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by jason123: 7:41pm On Nov 01, 2011
They should be allowed, who are we to judge.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by OmoLisabi(m): 7:49pm On Nov 01, 2011
Abi o gbadun?
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Rgp92: 7:54pm On Nov 01, 2011
Lets people be what they want.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by bece: 7:59pm On Nov 01, 2011
If her mother had been g a y who for born her. Rubbish
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 01, 2011
OmoLisabi:

Abi o gbadun?

LOL when was the last time I heard this one? grin grin grin

@Post

Oh dear!! Why cant these ppl keep secrets secrets. Who is stopping homo sex uality in Nigeria again?
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 01, 2011
It hurt me to see such a pretty lady not wanting to be drilled hard by a natural pnuematic drill instead wanting plastic and fingers in her. What a shame. (•͡_ •͡
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by dustydee: 9:38pm On Nov 01, 2011
saw her cry. It was appalling to say the least.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 01, 2011
i think they should be let alone, this should not be an issue at all, if they want to be man-loving-man, woman-loving-woman or man-loving-woman-loving-man or what ever, it's there problem. We should be neutral on this issue. David mark( senate president) is saying that it is not morally right( which is true, sha), and that his religion forbids it. But his religion does not forbid him and government spending 70 percent on recurrent expenditure, and 30 percent on capital projects. These people leave out God when it's time to steal money( my money), but call God on issues that are not pressing( LGBT rights). They should ( LGBT) be left to live their lives and not to criminalise them or support them. This is what i believe.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Areosapien(f): 10:10pm On Nov 01, 2011
This Seun can be so shamelessly childish most of the time.
What is wrong in the word 'g a y'? Is your own PERSONAL dictionary describing it as OFFENSIVE? Or didn't you pass through the four corners of a classroom to know the word can also serve as a synonym to 'happy'? Tell me, exactly how immature are you? It's sad, really.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Nobody: 11:08pm On Nov 01, 2011
Areosapien:

This Seun can be so shamelessly childish most of the time.
What is wrong in the word 'g a y'? Is your own PERSONAL dictionary describing it as OFFENSIVE? Or didn't you pass through the four corners of a classroom to know the word can also serve as a synonym to 'happy'? Tell me, exactly how immature are you? It's sad, really.
Actually, you can show yourself the way out. No need for the fireworks.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by tpia5: 2:40am On Nov 02, 2011
i wish the lady would cry for the bad state of nigerian roads, infrastructure and healthcare.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by ChinenyeN(m): 2:46am On Nov 02, 2011
tpia@:

i wish the lady would cry for the bad state of nigerian roads, infrastructure and healthcare.
*claps*
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by ChinenyeN(m): 2:47am On Nov 02, 2011
Nigerian parliament made a big mistake by creating the bill in the first place.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by udezue(m): 2:48am On Nov 02, 2011
They want to waste people's life for 3 years over their sexuality?
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by ChinenyeN(m): 2:54am On Nov 02, 2011
Parliament has seriously opened up a world of problems for itself. Gov't shouldn't be taking such an active stand on a social institution.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by udezue(m): 3:30am On Nov 02, 2011
GBAM @ Chinyen
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Ranoscky(m): 9:30am On Nov 02, 2011
If dem lyk, make dem dey [b]f[/b]uck animal, na dem sabi.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by BashMe1(m): 9:32am On Nov 02, 2011
MUMU GAY INDIVIDUALS, SHIO
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by drgica74: 9:47am On Nov 02, 2011
I know Atiku is behind this bill
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Madamot: 10:42am On Nov 02, 2011
So with all the problems Nigeria is facing, why should this be a problem or priority?? So long as they are consenting adults and do their business privately it is no ones business. They should spend the time, energy and resources planning how to stop stealing our money and how to develop Nigeria.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by JimmyBoy1: 10:58am On Nov 02, 2011
We have enough challenges in the land already, they should add this spiritual pollution and its attendant curses to our Land.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by stiko: 11:05am On Nov 02, 2011
drgica74:

grin grin wonders will never end in this country. 3years is even too small. Don't be surprised if this bill is reversed because  90% of these senators and house of assembly reps are gays especially those from the north.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by highland(m): 11:07am On Nov 02, 2011
Good bye to rubbish
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by hajifaty: 11:22am On Nov 02, 2011
asha 80:

Otibho Obiowu spoke for the lady-loving-ladies, man-loving-men, Bisexuals, Transexuals and Intersex in Diaspora (LGBTID) group at a senate-organised public hearing on the proposed law.

.[/b]

See wahala ooo. Devil no get shame at all. All these brain washed nigerians  in the diaspora should stop importing all these immoral acts to nigeria. What this LGBTID are fighting for are totally against our culture. Must you lost your common sense and culture because dem oyinbo don feed you and brain washed you.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Mascotlawman: 11:24am On Nov 02, 2011
things that were not heard are now the things that are debated in the public. God have mercy on ur creatures.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by GagaBoy: 11:25am On Nov 02, 2011
I av said this befor and I will say this again. Criminalising Homo se x ual behaviour is a Huge violation of human right. Its is no a choice to be G-A-Y just like the colour of our skin. And we africans should be more accepting Knowing what we went thru In the hands of the White man just for being different(Black). I say let them live their life. Its not our place to judge. As far as they are no comitting REAL crimes. Afterall its their body. Its just crminalising M@stubating.
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Funkymallam(m): 11:32am On Nov 02, 2011
Kai! Dan daudu full here ooo. lipsrsealed
Re: Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped by Aladinn(m): 12:20pm On Nov 02, 2011
drgica74:

hahaha! I'l laff til december. If Atiku catch ur yansh, it wil flame up. Hahaha!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bakare, El-rufai Storm Nnewi For Ojukwu / Nigeria's First Indigenous Drone (being Build And Launched) / Kwara State Local Government Elections Official Results Released By KWASIEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.