Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,669 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? (21995 Views)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by deekseen(m): 5:02am On May 16, 2009
Ikwerre language is completely igbo( a variety of igbo, that is . . . just as there are other varieties across the east) but no Ikwerre man nor his land is Igbo. The Ikwerres have to communicate and distinguish themselves from the Igbos, hence the 'R' at the beginning of some names and other changes both in spelling and pronunciation. We have English as the most widely spoken language here in Nigeria, so we're now English abi? We even went further to develop our own brand of English (Nigerian English) to distinguish it from the Englishman's brand.

Anyone saying Ikwerre as a tribe is Igbo should very well go down to Opobo and divide the land in three - Efik, Ibani and Igbo. Or should say Kalabari belongs to Okirika or vice-versa.

Ibime and a few others have being right all along - Port Harcourt has grown beyond its original territory and now extends from the Okirika / Kalabari dominated areas to Ikwerre dominated areas (Obio / Akpor). As a matter of fact Port Harcourt (Town) is a central dwelling place for all Rivers people.

Now, i want someone to say that Okirika is also an Igboland since till this present day they still use Igbo dialect to describe things. Like: ngaji - spoon, aziza - broom, akpa - bag, Opara - First male child, Ada - First female child, Ngozi - to describe multiple births like Twins (as a form of blessing) and they still have names like Imama - Thanks, to mention a few. This is the same reason Borokiri (Fishing Port in Okirika) had an Igbo name in the first place.

It's very funny for people to say someone from one tribe, because of his political influence, can change the spelling and pronunciation of names in another tribe. He cannot even effect a change, on his own, in his own tribe - Na him create the tribe? If it was possible, since Yorubas and Hausas have had more political influence than any other tribal sect, then we should be having names like Okeshuku instead of Okechukwu and so on.

As it stands today, Port Harcourt has more land in Ikwerre dominated areas but Port Harcourt is tribeless. It's for the Rivers people.

It beats me to see people come here to try to deceive others with pig-shit facts.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ezeagu(m): 7:39pm On Sep 07, 2009
deekseen:

Ikwerre language is completely igbo( a variety of igbo, that is . . . just as there are other varieties across the east) but no Ikwerre man nor his land is Igbo. The Ikwerres have to communicate and distinguish themselves from the Igbos, hence the 'R' at the beginning of some names and other changes both in spelling and pronunciation. We have English as the most widely spoken language here in Nigeria, so we're now English abi? We even went further to develop our own brand of English (Nigerian English) to distinguish it from the Englishman's brand.

They are not Igbo but their language is completely Igbo? Sorry but that does not make any sense to me. And the English analogy is rubbish, are you trying to say Ikwerre people are a different people who were colonised by the Igbo? You do know why we speak English right?

deekseen:

Anyone saying Ikwerre as a tribe is Igbo should very well go down to Opobo and divide the land in three - Efik, Ibani and Igbo. Or should say Kalabari belongs to Okirika or vice-versa.

The only way this point would make sense is if the Ikwerre are a mix of Igbo, Efik and Ibani, which their not.

deekseen:

Ibime and a few others have being right all along - Port Harcourt has grown beyond its original territory and now extends from the Okirika / Kalabari dominated areas to Ikwerre dominated areas (Obio / Akpor). As a matter of fact Port Harcourt (Town) is a central dwelling place for all Rivers people.

Yet Igwe Ocha bears Igbo names for it's districts and roads, why?

deekseen:

Now, i want someone to say that Okirika is also an Igboland since till this present day they still use Igbo dialect to describe things. Like: ngaji - spoon, aziza - broom, akpa - bag, Opara - First male child, Ada - First female child, Ngozi - to describe multiple births like Twins (as a form of blessing) and they still have names like Imama - Thanks, to mention a few. This is the same reason Borokiri (Fishing Port in Okirika) had an Igbo name in the first place.

You said it, I don't know.

deekseen:

It's very funny for people to say someone from one tribe, because of his political influence, can change the spelling and pronunciation of names in another tribe. He cannot even effect a change, on his own, in his own tribe - Na him create the tribe? If it was possible, since Yorubas and Hausas have had more political influence than any other tribal sect, then we should be having names like Okeshuku instead of Okechukwu and so on.

You are Aware 'Port Harcourt' is named after an English Pedophile?

deekseen:

As it stands today, Port Harcourt has more land in Ikwerre dominated areas but Port Harcourt is tribeless. It's for the Rivers people.

It beats me to see people come here to try to deceive others with pig-shit facts.

If Port Harcourt was "tribeless" all it's town's district's, road's etc, wouldn't be Igbo.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by Abagworo(m): 12:41am On Sep 08, 2009
deekseen:

@bolded.yes we pronounce okeshuku and we are igbo.ph no be igbo town.na nigerian city with majority igbo population.indigenes speak ikwerre and okrika with little (kalabari)bakana around iwofe/eagle island axis.ikwerres whom the city comprises mostly of their land rarely accept being igbos even though they speak a dialect of igbo as !st language.case settled.

as for if okirika is igbo,i ld answer based on personal experience.okrika unlike ikwerre are not igbos but are rather a mixture of ijaw and igbo.they are opportuned to be the bridge joining the two highly inter-mingle groups.all my okrika friends(100%) have igbo mothers from umuahia or mbaise axis in igboland and many of their sisters are as well married there.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ezeagu(m): 3:55pm On Sep 08, 2009
Abagworo:

@bolded.yes we pronounce okeshuku and we are igbo.

Abagworo:

ph no be igbo town.na nigerian city with majority igbo population.

Abagworo:

indigenes speak ikwerre and okrika with little (kalabari)bakana around iwofe/eagle island axis.

shocked

Abagworo:

na nigerian city

Abagworo:

ikwerres whom the city comprises mostly of their land

Abagworo:

rarely accept being igbos even though they speak a dialect of igbo as !st language.

angry

Abagworo:

ph no be igbo town.na nigerian city with majority igbo population.

grin

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AndreUweh(m): 7:23pm On Sep 08, 2009
One of the posters here said that he who took what belongs to a child and raises it up, when he gets tired will bring it down and the child (the original owner will have it back.
With the events of this days, some of those Ikwerre people who disclaimed Igbo are now claiming Igbo.
On the subject of Port Harcourt. This city is predominantly owned by Ndiikwerre whom themselves are Ndiigbo. I know Okrika people owe a section of port Harcourt, nothwithstandingly, majority of the city is Igbo and the majority ethnic language spoken in Port Harcourt is Igbo.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by pinkstar(f): 12:05pm On Sep 09, 2009
No it is not
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AndreUweh(m): 6:40pm On Sep 09, 2009
Yes, it is.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by mamagee6(f): 8:25pm On Sep 19, 2009
Rivers State is certainly not an Igbo land. undecided
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:39pm On Sep 19, 2009
,mama-gee:

Who said anything about Rivers State?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AndreUweh(m): 10:01pm On Sep 19, 2009
,mama-gee:

Mama-gee. Certainly you are insulting Igbo people of Rivers state and my wife inclusive. Northern part of Rivers state is Igboland while the Southern part is not Igboland.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 11:34pm On Sep 19, 2009
Funny how these non Igbo fools start silly threads about Igbos and their origins. Only a fool will say Ikwerre people are not Igbos. I understand Ikwerre more than I understand Afikpo yet no sane Afikpo man will claim he is not Igbo. WTH FYI , the All Igbo church I attend got Ikwerre people and they do not deny being Igbo. Ikwerre is the same as Awka, Nnobi, Arochukwu, Igbanke,etc. Only a dunce or a fool wanting to create hatred among Igbos will promote such stupid lies about the origin of these different Igbo groups. Rivers state does not have Igbo natives yet the AdaNdiigbo title is conducted by native people of Rivers state with Igbo names? Why was the Eze Gbakagbaka, Amayanabo of Opobo, Eze of Ogbaland, etc present if it had nothing to do with them since according to some idiots they are not Igbos. I have Igbo friends of Ikwerre extraction and I don't argue this rubbish with them coz they themselves will tell you they are not ready to spread such stupid lies so the non Igbo should shut up. Rivers state is at least 85% Igbo and there is nothing OW1 or any fool can do to change it.

To OW1, fine they kill us in the all those places including your people since you and I know to them we are all Iyamiri, they also kill you in your own land from ODI, to GBAMATURU so what u gon do about that? Why don't you rescue your people 1st b4 spewing your hateful garbage about Igbos who have done nothing to deserve the type of hatred ppl like you have for them? Peter Odili is not Igbo yet that old bigot Clark had no qualm reminding him that he is Igbo hence is not qualified to lead Niger Delta. When its convenient for u they are Igbo and when its not they are not. Nonsense. Why is BIGOTRY so enshrined in your culture?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 11:38pm On Sep 19, 2009
AdaNdiigbo organized by River state Igbos. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=325765.msg4572531#msg4572531
Now hang yourselves.
http://adandiigbo.com/
Majority of PH is Igbo. U can't deny the Ijaw part of it but the Ijaw are native to a small part of it.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ow11(m): 8:40am On Sep 20, 2009
udezue:

AdaNdiigbo organized by River state Igbos. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=325765.msg4572531#msg4572531
Now hang yourselves.
http://adandiigbo.com/
Majority of PH is Igbo. U can't deny the Ijaw part of it but the Ijaw are native to a small part of it.

That is the truth!
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by mamagee6(f): 10:54pm On Sep 20, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Who said anything about Rivers State?

Port harcourt is the capital of rivers state, you dumbass angry angry

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:02pm On Sep 20, 2009
,mama-gee:

. . . . . . that was uncalled for, at best.

The discussion is about P.H. and Igboland not Rivers State.
The fact that P.H. is the capital of Rivers State does not mean that anyone is insinuating that Rivers State in total belongs to Igbo. That's why I asked what Rivers State had to do with the discussion, other than the fact that P.H. is located in Rivers State.
Lastly, relax. There's no need to throw petty insults.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by udezue(m): 1:10pm On Sep 21, 2009
^^^^^ No mind these paranoid people. Igbo people scare the SHIIIIITTT out of em. I don't know why but it does. LMAO grin
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AndreUweh(m): 1:26pm On Sep 21, 2009
Mama-gee.
Everyone in this forum knows that P.H is the capital of Rivers state. Please educate us on what we do not know. Secondly, be civilised
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ezeagu(m): 6:15pm On Sep 21, 2009
,mama-gee:

You do know there are Igbo people as far a s Bonny Island?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AfroCynic: 2:24am On Sep 22, 2009
Abeg, make una no vex, Is PH close in proximity to to Igbo land than to, say, Ijaw land? Because I do not understand why this is a controversy,
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by OgidiBoy(m): 2:25am On Sep 22, 2009
AfroCynic:

Abeg, make una no vex, Is PH close in proximity to to Igbo land than to, say, Ijaw land? Because I do not understand why this is a controversy,

PH is close to Russia, you can see it from your window cool
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AfroCynic: 2:29am On Sep 22, 2009
OgidiBoy:

PH is close to Russia, you can see it from your window cool

How's your Mom Trigg?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by OgidiBoy(m): 2:30am On Sep 22, 2009
AfroCynic:

How's your Mom Trigg?

You got me !!!! LMAO HAHAHAHA grin
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:46am On Sep 22, 2009
Anyway, I've got a serious question. How did people get around to referring to P.H. as "Igwe Ocha"?
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by Abagworo(m): 7:15am On Sep 22, 2009
igweocha is a traditional name used by ikwerres and some other igbos in reference to port harcourt and environs.isuama(isoma) is also a term used by ikwerres in reference to other igbos north of them.i believe that the term igwe-ocha originated from slave era as ikot-abasi was also called igwe-nga by igbos then.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ezeagu(m): 5:10pm On Sep 22, 2009
We should acknowledge however that just like many other towns and cities in the East (because our people didn't necessarily live in cities like those in the West and North) 'Port Harcourt' is a British made town (Hence its name) and wasn't an important land mass for the Igbo before colonialism.
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by AndreUweh(m): 5:49pm On Sep 22, 2009
Igwe-ocha refers to modern day of Port Harcourt and environs. As for the Ikwerre's and entire Igbo nation, Diobi (Diobu) was the heart of Port Harcourt. In the early 20th century, there was no distiction between Ikwerres and their Igbo kinsmen who provided labour for the building of the new town. The British either did not see them as different entities. With the trends of this days, the division is in anticlimax.

1 Like

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by amebono1: 9:34am On Sep 23, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin

nairaland, no day passes by without a fight, im loving this forum
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by amebono1: 11:14pm On Sep 23, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by mamagee5: 12:26am On Sep 24, 2009
!amebo no1:

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

It looks like you want an attention, abeg go and finish your own fight with ladysex and stop running away, attention seeking hillbilly. grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by na2day2(m): 7:47am On Sep 25, 2009
ezeagu:

You do know there are Igbo people as far a s Bonny Island?

there are igbo people as far as zaria, does that make zaria igboland? mumu lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ezeagu(m): 1:19pm On Sep 25, 2009
na2day?:

there are igbo people as far as zaria, does that make zaria igboland? mumu lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If you are out of your depth, or you don't properly understand a subject or a topic, the right thing to do is move along or to properly study that subject and make sure you come with facts. As far as my knowledge goes, there are no Igbo surnames like Nwazaria, (Son of Zaria) or simply Zaria, but there are Igbo surnames such as Ubani and Nwaubani. The native name for Bonny is Ubani or Ibani, which is an Igbo name (source). Is Zaria an Igbo name? Bleeding cow.

2 Likes

Re: Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:45am On Sep 26, 2009
Okay, well, the reason I asked about Igwe Ocha, is because where I'm from, we also have an oral tradition that mentions Igwe Ocha (what I remember as Igu Ocha), as well as Igwe Nga, as our outposts. So I was curious to know where people were getting "Igwe Ocha" from. Anyway, thank you all for your replies.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igwe Nnewi Visits California To Celebrate 50 Years On The Throne. / Emir Sanusi Visits The Archbishop Of Canterbury In Lambeth Palace, UK (photos) / Blood Disease ( Kokoro Inu Eje)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.