Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,433 members, 7,781,267 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:29 AM

Difference Between Visual Basic And Visual Basic .NET - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Difference Between Visual Basic And Visual Basic .NET (23916 Views)

c++ and visual basic / Can Vb 6.0,visual Studio 2008 And Visual Studio 2010 Run On Windows 7 Os. / Oracle And Visual Basic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Visual Basic And Visual Basic .NET by Zule(m): 4:07am On Mar 07, 2006
Could some one please explain the difference between Visual Basic and Visual Basic .NET for me?
Re: Difference Between Visual Basic And Visual Basic .NET by demmy(m): 5:02pm On Mar 07, 2006
Zule basically both languages are the same only that vb.NET has object-oriented programming capability.
Re: Difference Between Visual Basic And Visual Basic .NET by AbujaBoy(m): 5:04pm On Mar 07, 2006
VB teaches bad programming ethics, don't learn it, go for perl or C. smiley
Re: Difference Between Visual Basic And Visual Basic .NET by sbucareer(f): 6:48pm On Mar 07, 2006

Ok let me see if I can explain this. Visual Basic is a proprietary Programming Language for Win32 API's, basically it can ONLY run on Microsoft products hence Window 95, 98, 98ME, 98SE, Window 2000, XP HE, XP Prof and suits of MS servers and vista. Visual Basic is Microsoft ways of writing application that can run on its application like Excel, power point Word document and access database.

Although Microsoft kernel is written in C Language, he quickly realize how difficult it is to program C he quickly introduct Q Basic and later change to Visual Basic. The main focus is to allow desktop users to quickly develop and deploy application making use of DLL (Dynamic Link Library), a way of engineering every API to talk to each other.

During the evolution of ERM (Enterprise Resource Management) many companies and open source community provided a disperse Enterprise Server i.e CGI (Common Gateway Interface), Perl, PHP etc. Many of these servers have died or is facing extinction i.e CGI-bin.

Microsoft quickly realize the potential of enterprise server and came up with initial solution .COM "Component Object Model (COM) is Microsoft's object-oriented programming model that defines how objects interact within a single application or between applications. In COM, client software accesses an object through a pointer to an interface (a related set of funcations called methods) on objects. Both OLE and ActiveX are based on COM. IBM's verion of COM is called SOM.
"

Microsoft also quickly went into web application by developing [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+ActiveX]ActiveX[/url], which a mechanism to enable web browser download Objects from a server as a request.

All these technologies were rushed and the consequences were there extinction. Now Enterprise Application Server has come of age, many big companies requiring Resource Management i.e (Strategic Management, Enterprise Planning and Human Resource Management) all these could be addressed by Enterprise Application Server as a reference container NOT the solution (You employ programmer to design ERM System) by using Application server.

Big company like Sun, BEA, JBoss, IBM started rolling out J2EE specification for Enterprise application development using Java.

Microsoft quickly scrap .COM as it did not meet its requirements as to Enterprise Application Development.  Microsoft came with a new technology called .NET (.NET is a framework like J2EE) you can use c#, j#, VB, C etc on .NET framework as Microsoft wanted widely acceptability to choice of language rather to Visual Basic.  Even though VB still remains the heavily used language for .NET, that is why it is called VB.NET/ASP.NET

The ASP (Active Server Page) is a framework for developing web application using forms and controls.

Conclusion, .NET is a Microsoft proprietary product that addresses the need of developing Enterprise Application.  It handles all the low level communication i.e. RMI/RPC, Object Communication, Message Management, Database Pool, exception handling, Security, Authentication and Authorization etc. so you do not need to worry about this issue why developing Enterprise Application so you will concentrate on the business logic at hand.

.NET is the same thing with J2EE, they both are reference Implementation for developing Enterprise Application. The difference is that J2EE RI([b]R[/b]eference [b]I[/b]mplementation) uses Java only while .NET RI uses lots of language that I mentioned above.

I hope this explanation helps.

Note
===========

You can go for full ERM system called SAP or use .NET or J2EE reference implementation, which everone is cheap. I think .NET and J2EE is cheaper to SAP

Also if you know VB/Visual Basic, you have already known VB.NET/ASP.NET, in the other hand if you know Java you have already known J2EE.  The only thing you will learn from both of these technologies are how, where, rules to place your files and script languge etc.  All you need is to learn the container, it will only take you 5 hours to learn each one if you already have the prerequisite i.e. (VB/Java)

Re: Difference Between Visual Basic And Visual Basic .NET by Hunter(m): 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2006
Nothing wrong with VB if you're using it for what it was designed for (rapid development of windows applications)

VB.net is a transition of the old visual basic language to object orientated coding, syntax is mostly the same (it would take most people at max about 2 weeks to transition)
Over all though VB.net is alot more powerful (and easier in regards to DB connections)
Re: Difference Between Visual Basic And Visual Basic .NET by Zule(m): 6:53pm On Mar 12, 2006
I Thank you guys for clarifying me
thanks a million times

(1) (Reply)

How To Build An Android Chat Like Whatsapp For Absolute Beginners / Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering / Why Most Beginners Quit Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.