Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,948 members, 7,799,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' (4126 Views)

DJ Switch Wins Glo X Factor [PHOTOS] / 12-year-old Boy With Amazing Voice On Glo X Factor / X-Factor Auditions (Port-Hacourt/Abuja) - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by Egavlas(m): 7:32pm On Sep 20, 2007
@coded guy, are you on the sattelite or cable?

Cant see Nikelodeon. Also when will this constant disappearance of E! end?
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by Egavlas(m): 7:44pm On Sep 20, 2007
Sorry about the double posting. The page timed out and I had no idea the first one was added.

Anyways, I just rescanned(Its now certain that we should do this periodically), and trully Nikelodeon is on now.

We hope they dont lose it oo. Like they keep losing E!.

The next step is to get a good 24hr movies and entertainment channel maybe Mbc2.
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by bagoma(f): 8:41pm On Sep 20, 2007
i'm thinking of subscribing to HiTv simply because of the premiership. but with all the negatives i have heard outside and read here, one has to resign his or herself to subscribing to the two companies.
its only in nigeria people carry around 2 or 3 different cell phones, it therefore stands to reason that in Nigeria, in order to enjoy the best from cable tv one will have to use 2 0r more cable providers. its certainly looking that way. angry
i tire for nigeria. sad angry
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by niyi09(m): 1:20pm On Sep 21, 2007
pease i want to know maybe the satellite package now has more than 11 channels because i only have 11 on mine instead of the 15 the advertised and i want to know where the fault is
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by tboy81(m): 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2007
@niyi09

For now they have only 11 channels (and hi sports is not showing while E! only has audio) thus making 9 channels

I called their customer care on tuesday and they said they would be uploading more channels on the satellite package before the end of this month or early next month, but i don't want you to depend totally on that assurance from the customer care person.
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by denex: 4:27pm On Sep 21, 2007
The situation is not so good. It's 4.00 O'clock Friday 21st September 2007, agent DENEX at hiTV Headquarters, Ebute Metta West, Lagos. The situation is really crazy.

The entire system; dish; LNB; Decoder, is being sold for N55,000.

To get the system at N55,000 you will go through the eye of a needle.

After that, you will need to get it activated in the reception area, where the guy in charge will ask for settlement he says it's the "market strategy".

In the reception, there's a big screen showing hinolly. The resolution is really poor, but I'm sure on a 42 inch or less, it will be reasonably clear.

Ehen, I've generally harassed the activation guy to do it for the customer without settlement. Few people supported the cause, majority of our patriotic Nigerians were telling the customer to settle and go. Nigerian mentality. I just pity the guy because he came from the Eastern part of the country and is planning to go back today. Though I've convinced him to make it tomorrow. I didn't offer for him to stay in my place though. Make the guy nor go think say all this my niceness na to arrange rob am.

Lest I forget, there are no chairs in the reception you will stand for hours so that you can be more willing to pay whatever price they ask. What kind of organization will forget to put chairs in their reception.

The only management staff I could converse with even found it difficult to give me his name and his number because from what I could see, they were all involved in the shadiness of the dealing and the factorization of Nigeria into hiTV.

He finally obliged though but I see no use to which that can be put now. Nigerians are just generally bad. It's not our leaders, it's not the curse of oil. We must change the general attitude. Reject what is bad correct people that are doing wrong and report this issue to the press and hiTV itself via email.

Well, I'm shining out now. But my agent who annoyed myself and my neighbour to come witness the thing for ourselves wants me to put a word in for him.

Mustapha Abdulkadir

he acquires and installs, but the guy can talk sha. He will tell you the history of DSTV and hiTV.
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by codedguy1(m): 4:28pm On Sep 21, 2007
@salvage, am on satellite

You can re scan using this process,

The rescanning process is as follows

While watching a station on hitv

1, press menu on your remote control (installation is highlighted)

2, press OK, and then enter default pin code 0000 (4 zeroes)

3, scroll down to AUTO SCAN, press OK twice. And then exit twice to continue viewing.

I believe E entertainment is now back.

Any one using hitv should also do this periodically to get the new channels

Looking forward to manchester United Chewing Chelski
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by ayusman16(m): 10:52am On Sep 22, 2007
Rescanned my decoder and lo! found skynews, eurosport and nickelodeon uploaded,, impressiv but wonder wat took them so long to do dat. av also noticed dat they'v started showing different movies in their hinolly and himix, thank God ooo, the previous repeatition nearly made me kolo, but still think their pic quality is wacked, it breaks signals like it's going out of fashion, they also need to upload atleast a dedicated movie channel and wat the hell happened to ART (it has disappeared) n LBC still not showing, and dont u guys think d subscription of 4k aint just worth the channels aired and for football only grin grin grin
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by Seun(m): 6:37pm On Sep 22, 2007
It sounds as if they are buckling up in response to what their customers are saying. That is encouraging!
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by Bigtee(m): 8:45pm On Sep 22, 2007
Yahooooooooo!!!!
They added Nickolodean. At least its good to see they are making improvement (although slow but i guess its better than nothin)

However, i have issues with their website. Its not interactive enough. I recommend that they deploy a good Web Content Management System (WCMS). This makes the site easy to update. Omsetimes i check the site and they have not updated maych fixtures/results (common these are basic things). I also recommend deploying web 2.0 technology this can add value added features such as RSS feeds, online chat, video preview i.e like "now showing" for selected channels.

If HiTV needs more info on how to implement my recommendations. they can contact me.

Well sone, keep it up
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by medube(m): 8:52pm On Sep 22, 2007
Bigtee:

However, i have issues with their website. Its not interactive enough. I recommend that they deploy a good Web Content Management System (WCMS). This makes the site easy to update. Omsetimes i check the site and they have not updated maych fixtures/results (common these are basic things). I also recommend deploying web 2.0 technology this can add value added features such as RSS feeds, online chat, video preview i.e like "now showing" for selected channels.

O boy, mak they finish deploying a good TV network to their subscribers before they begin think of deploying good Web Content Management System o! I can live with them providing good TV channels and having no website, than having a good interactive website with crap TV stations smiley

Today, I will give them kudos cool They relayed 2 simultaneous matches at once and could have been 3 but for those of us on Satellite our hi-Sports is displaying "Scrambled Channel", so we couldn't watch the 3rd match.

Things are getting better, but for me to give up DSTV, I expect them to start giving us some movie channels and not cartoons I love cartoons, but there's a limit and times I wish to watch movies with real humans grin grin
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by isob: 11:33am On Oct 30, 2008
HiTV: Cable TV Providers or Cable TV Fraudsters?
By Iso Bassey (Iso.Bassey@nigeria-friends.com)

I have been a DSTV subscriber for over 10 years and was dismayed when they lost the rights to show majority of English Premier League matches last year. It doesn’t take much to guess that I am a fan of the EPL. I am in fact an Arsenal fan. That’s by the way though.

Soon after DSTV lost the rights, I was made to understand that a little-known company called HiTV had acquired these rights. I also learnt that HiTV was allegedly bankrolled by a former President and his minister for Information. I had no idea their acquisition of these rights was a good or bad thing, but considering that I had to get my weekly football fix, I quickly came to terms with the fact that I would need to splash out on a new decoder and other hardware components. I considered it the least I could do to support my then misfiring Gunners.

I contacted a local agent in Port Harcourt where I am based and had a look at the channels on offer through HiTV. Besides the football, there was little else of interest. I had hoped that the channel offering would be such that I could discontinue my DSTV subscription and switch solely HiTV and in the process save cost on subscription fees. As a result of the poor choice of channels on HiTV I felt rather arm-twisted having to subscribe to their service while still retaining my DSTV. To cut a long story short, I signed up to HiTV simply to be able to watch EPL matches.

If I remember correctly the whole package cost me about N40,000. I hate to say that I felt a sense of disgust the very first time I watched an EPL match on HiTV. The best description I can offer is that it was like watching a YouTube video on a 56kbps Internet connection. I watched the match in frames delivered a few seconds at a time. These frames were often interlaced with displays of “Scrambling/Descrambling” This for me appeared to be the first sign of the HiTV con. I contacted my local agent who had done the installation and he offered a long explanation which I could hardly understand. It revolved around something to do with the decoder being either a HiTV decoder or a “Strong” decoder. I believe “Strong” refers to the manufacturer. Considering that I had just signed up for 3 months it quickly dawned on me that I might have been 419’d. For the next 3 months I could only support my Gunners one frame at a time as HiTV permitted. This was probably just as well considering that we ended the season with no silverware. I threw that in for a bit of humour. It is by the way.

After repeated complaints, towards the end of the 3 months subscription period, my local agent informed me that there was a software upgrade he could carry out on my HiTV decoder to help improve the viewing experience. I was mad at him for not coming to my rescue earlier. He then explained that this fix had only just been made available. We were both puzzled as to why HiTV could not automatically carry out software upgrades on decoders in a seamless manner like DSTV does. He then began to explain to me the challenges his company was facing dealing with HiTV. He complained that their customer service was appalling. At the time we spoke he said that his company had credited HiTV’s bank account with subscription fees of several customers and that HiTV had failed to activate these accounts. They were battling to resolve these issues and had become inundated with complaints by frustrated customers. He explained to me that although he would be losing a small commission if I failed to renew my subscription, it was in my best interest to hold on for a while until HiTV got their act together. I gratefully agreed with him.

A few months went by before I contacted my agent again. During this time a national daily (It might have been Guardian or ThisDay) featured a profile of the C.E.O. of HiTV Mr. Toyin Subair in which he was presented as the young dynamic entrepreneur who had defeated Multichoice, given CNN a bloodied nose and emerged the symbol of national pride. It was laughable. By the time I was talking to my agent again, my HiTV decoder had gathered quite a bit of dust and the EPL’s 2008/2009 season was about to get started again. He told me that things seemed to have improved on the HiTV front and that it would now be possible to renew my subscription without delay. He also told me that I could pay for my subscription directly through any branch of GTBank. That got me excited as GTBank happens to be my bank. Sometime in August I made my first direct payment to HiTV’s bank account using a cheque. Not up to 48 hours after my payment was made, my HiTV service was restored. I was impressed and I thought to myself that the company might have finally resolved its customer service problems. A month later when my August subscription had expired, on 26th September 2008 my secretary made a payment. Only this time we paid by cash rather than cheque. Sadly as I write this article on 29th October 2008, HiTV has still not restored my service. In other words although I paid for subscription until 26th October 2008, I have not been able to watch anything on HiTV since around 24th September 2008. I have e-mailed them repeatedly using the e-mail address on their website i.e. info@hientertainment.tv. I have even attached a copy of my deposit slip showing proof of payment. I have called their customer service number on several occasions and gotten through just once. When I did get through the lady was very quick to dismiss my call.

As a result of my experience with HiTV and the information I have gathered from my HiTV agent and other subscribers in Port Harcourt (where I am based) I have come to the following conclusion. It is either HiTV is a VERY inefficient company who went ahead of itself to take on a task it was incapable of handling or perhaps it is a company that was deliberately setup to con Nigerians by preying on our love for football. As I come to terms with the fact that I might have fallen victim to a HiTV scam, I can only conclude that the latter seems more likely to be the case. I am considering taking legal action against HiTV as a matter of principle.

I have one simple advice for football-loving Nigerians. If you are thinking of subscribing to HiTV, DON’T.
I have discovered that it is possible to watch EPL matches live on your computer free of charge if you have a fast Internet connection. Since the purpose of this article is not to advertise any service, I won’t be any more specific than to ask those interested to google ‘TVU Networks’. Good luck. I have resigned myself to watching matches on my laptop until such a time as a proper company win back the rights to EPL matches.

Iso Bassey is based in Port Harcourt and runs www.nigeria-friends.com and www.outletng.com
Re: HiTV And The 'Nigerian Factor' by nex(m): 8:18pm On Nov 03, 2017
The situation is not so good. It's 4.00 O'clock Friday 21st September 2007, I'm at HiTV Headquarters, Ebute Metta West, Lagos. The situation is really crazy.

The entire system; dish; LNB; Decoder, is being sold for N55,000.

To get the system at N55,000 you will go through the eye of a needle.

After that, you will need to get it activated in the reception area, where the guy in charge will ask for settlement. He says it's the "market strategy".

In the reception, there's a big screen showing HiNolly. The resolution is really poor, but I'm sure on a 42 inch or less, it will be reasonably clear.

Ehen, I've generally harassed the activation guy to do it for a customer without settlement. Few people supported the cause, majority of our patriotic Nigerians were telling the customer to settle and go. Nigerian mentality. I just pity the guy because he came from the Eastern part of the country and is planning to go back today. Though I've convinced him to make it tomorrow. I didn't offer for him to stay in my place though. Make the guy nor go think say all this my niceness na to arrange rob am.

Lest I forget, there are no chairs in the reception. You will stand for hours so that you can be more willing to pay whatever price they ask. What kind of organization will forget to put chairs in their reception?!

The only management staff I could converse with even found it difficult to give me his name and his number because from what I could see, they were all involved in the shadiness of the dealing and the factorization of Nigeria into hiTV.

He finally obliged though, but I see no use to which that can be put now. Nigerians are just generally bad. It's not our leaders, it's not the curse of oil. We must change the general attitude. Reject what is bad, correct people that are doing wrong, and report this issue to the press and HiTV itself via email.

Well, I'm signing out now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD Professor Johnbull Season 3 Episode 5 (S03E05) – Expensive Ceremonies / The New Satellite SLTV / What Is Your Favourite TV Action Series? I Say Andromeda!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.