Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,148 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:50 AM

NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee (3157 Views)

CBN Reintroduces Cot As Current Account Maintenance Fee / CBN Introduces Current Account Maintenance Fee / Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by oluwabamis(m): 10:35am On Nov 02, 2011
NERC scraps meter maintenance fee
| Print | E-mail
Wednesday, 02 November 2011
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has finally bowed to the agitations by Nigerians for the removal of meter maintenance charge by passing a resolution declaring the fee illegal.
The power regulatory commission has further directed all Power Holdening  Company of Nigeria (PHCN) offices nationwide to desist from collecting the fee beginning from October.
The commission has also constituted a 10-man committee to be headed by human rights activist and lawyer, Mr Bamidele Aturu, to conduct a public inquiry into metre procurement, metering and billing in the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry (NESI) to unveil any underhand dealing and ensure that funds released for metering was accounted for.
A statement by the commission at the weekend stressed that following the resolution, electricity distribution companies were to stop collecting meter maintenance fee as part of bills  from the consumer, starting from October billing circle payable in November.
Meter maintenance fee has been frowned on by consumers of electricity who have queried the rationale for it as part of charges in the industry, since no maintenance is required on the meters as the name suggests.
In arriving at the decision, the commission observed that “meter maintenance fee was introduced to shore up the utility’s revenue base, following stiff opposition to tariff increase even in the face of daunting financial challenges to meet their obligations.
“As had been agreed at a previous meeting between the commission and chief executive officers of distribution companies, the essence of the meter maintenance fee, which was justifiable as a means of raising tariffs when same was frozen, can no longer be justified as this has been captured by the tariff in the MYTO of 2008 and the subsidy,” the statement read in part.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/30599-nerc-scraps-meter-maintenance-fee
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by begwong: 1:19pm On Nov 02, 2011
. . . UNTIL I SEE IT NOT REFLECTING IN MY MONTHLY BILLS BEFORE I COMMENT lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by tulk2mi: 1:26pm On Nov 02, 2011
A welcome development indeed. This action was long overdue. PHCN were simply ripping us off.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by Koolking(m): 2:20pm On Nov 02, 2011
begwong:

. . . UNTIL I SEE IT NOT REFLECTING IN MY MONTHLY BILLS BEFORE I COMMENT lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Starting from November bill. Talk is cheap and deed is dear in this part of the world. Nobody comes on air or paper to say anything and expect people to swallow it.

Fingers crossed
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by phuckNL: 2:45pm On Nov 02, 2011
begwong:

i thought people stopped getting bills already. thought prepaid meters are all over lagos?
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by cecegorz(m): 2:54pm On Nov 02, 2011
Wow! This is good news. I'll watch out the next time i buy token.
They usually deduct 1,100/per month on my 3 phase meter, just for nothing!
Phew! we don suffer for this kontri.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by Pennywise(m): 2:56pm On Nov 02, 2011
A few years ago I had wanted to go to my local PHCN office and cause a major egbe over this matter. The plan was to seize the cashier and then wait for the invisible oga from above to come to her rescue. But everyone else was paying. Now thank God for this publication which I can now take with me. My coping mechanism was to stop looking at the invoice all together.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by Tdunjoye: 3:36pm On Nov 02, 2011
@ phuck. U pay meter maintenance fee as prepaid customer. Also there is another fee called 'fixed charge' which is also a form of extortion
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by hillsate: 4:08pm On Nov 02, 2011
Since it's been declared illegal, should refund not be the next?
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by Ladilgs: 5:08pm On Nov 02, 2011
This is good news if they implement it. PHCN are so crooked that they may just deny this and collect and share the money.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 02, 2011
Just paid meter maintenance of 25k for my prepaid meter last week. I think I will write for a refund immediately.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by Gbenge77(m): 8:34pm On Nov 02, 2011
Cheering report for some.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by lastpage: 2:04am On Nov 03, 2011
More importantly is why these "Pre-Paid Meters" have suddenly become so scarce, within PHCN!

Initially, they were begging us to buy the Pre-Paid Meter but when they realized that it was depriving them their usual, "cut and disconnect/reconnect" Egunje, the Meters suddenly began to disappear and to buy one from PHCn is a herculean task! W-H-Y?

BTW: If PHCN has actually been confirmed of using the "Meter Maintenance fee" to shore-up their purse, then that action is CRIMINAL and should someone no be punished for this?

In Nigeria, open criminal acts are simply given a slap on the wrist: You've stolen enough, go away and sin no more! shocked

I love this Kontri, no be small! angry angry grin
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by azeezbaba(m): 1:28pm On Nov 03, 2011
I reside in Abuja and I just recharged my meter now. PHCN still charged me MMF for the months of September and October. So this news cannot be true
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by luluosas(m): 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2011
This will save my organisation millions of naira. We usually pay 2 - 3 million naira every month for meter maintenance. I will make sure I print this for my supervisor tomorrow, because, he usually counter sign the nepa bills, before the finance department make payment. Do you even that, nepa disconnected some of our locations last week? Their argument was that, the bill they gave to us on the 23rd October, 2011, was not paid by 28th October. Can you imagine? My organisation does not owe nepa any dime, yet, they disconnected us for not paying within one week. Good news to my organisation.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by ASHLAND(m): 3:02am On Oct 20, 2013
Please help if you are using three phase prepaid meter in Ajah area, and you are a residential customer. What tarrif you pay? Do you still pay for maintenance charge and how much. Thanks.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by jamace(m): 5:58am On Oct 20, 2013
Where are the pre-paid meters sef? Most states of the federation have not seen the meters o.
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by ASHLAND(m): 10:01pm On Oct 20, 2013
Re: NERC Gets Rid Of Meter Maintenance Fee by ASHLAND(m): 10:02pm On Oct 20, 2013
ASHLAND: Please help if you are using three phase prepaid meter in Ajah area, and you are a residential customer. What tarrif you pay? Do you still pay for maintenance charge and how much. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

How To Safely Source For Your Products On Alibaba - The Ultimate Guide / Gtbank's Latest Innovating Is Crazy / Help, How Do I Recover A Debt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.