Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building (29044 Views)

DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / Architecture: Construction Of Duplex In Lekki & Akwa-Ibom State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:32pm On Nov 02, 2011
Hello nairalanders, i am a construction professional and real estate investor with approximately 10 years of post graduate experience. After following a number of threads on the property section on nairaland, i am please to know that several people share the same passion for real estate and construction that i do. As a result i have decided to bring you along with me on a 27 month journey that i started last month. All comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome. At the end, we should all be able to walk away with some new insight on global construction methods and procedures,   Below is the architect's impression, and a brief synopsis of the project. Make una Enjoy,

Project - 10 story office building to be used as a hospital

Budget - US$ 120 Million

Duration - 27 months

Start - October 1, 2011
End - December 31, 2013

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Xzevian(m): 4:05pm On Nov 02, 2011
Contact me for quality granite supply
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Xzevian(m): 4:07pm On Nov 02, 2011
Contact me for quality granite supply @08093102705
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Fidelo726: 5:37pm On Nov 02, 2011
where is the location of the project?
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 5:52pm On Nov 02, 2011
This one you are calling $s, is the project located in Nigeria like Fidelo asked above?
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 7:01pm On Nov 02, 2011
No be for naija oh!! The project is located in Southwest U.S.A. ,  I will be providing weekly progress updates with pictures that will track the construction status. Pictures of work completed in October are coming soon,

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 7:24pm On Nov 02, 2011
^^^ ok, that will be great, to learn how its done in the yankees, maybe one day I will be constructing duplexes for American senators in the US, lol.

We shall be expecting your updates my man.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Fhemmmy: 7:31pm On Nov 02, 2011
Subscribed already and will surely enjoy this . . . . .
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 9:45pm On Nov 02, 2011
Mobilization started in september. Set up of temporary offices for contractors, and temporary facilities including phones, fax, internet, water, and temporary fencing etc. In the initial site picture, you will see one story building that encroaches the building footprint. This building is to be demolished to make way for the new building. The demolition was completed in october and we are now erecting the tower crane to be used during construction.

These first set of pictures are basically showing the initial site and some of the mobilization process which all happened in september. grin grin

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 9:47pm On Nov 02, 2011
More Sept pics, wink

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 5:15am On Nov 03, 2011
When am I gonna start doing this kinda heavy stuff, like erecting site offices, changing rooms and site stores in Nigeria.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 03, 2011
Nice
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kellynoah: 1:45pm On Nov 03, 2011
@poster, give me my own share now else am sending BOKO HARAM there now. ok wait first, where is de location? angry
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Pennywise(m): 1:53pm On Nov 03, 2011
Hmmnn. This is serious.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 1:59pm On Nov 03, 2011
kellynoah:

@poster, give me my own share now else am sending BOKO HARAM there now. ok wait first, where is de location? angry

@Kellynoah, i dey wait for you with my cutlass,  i still dey laugh!    grin grin

Location was listed earlier,
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by justokey(m): 2:00pm On Nov 03, 2011
Interesting post, will be following. BTW i suppose by  10 Storey you mean groudfloor and 9 other levels?
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 2:04pm On Nov 03, 2011
justokey:

Interesting post, will be following. BTW i suppose by 10 Storey you mean groudfloor and 9 other levels?

You are correct! i guess in naija/UK, that would be 9-story abi,
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by eminemkayc: 2:06pm On Nov 03, 2011
where is the structural engineering details? what typ of foundation is to be done here based on the geotechnical site investigation?
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by justokey(m): 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2011
kez007:

You are correct! i guess in naija/UK, that would be 9-story abi,

^^^^^^

yes we use the British system in naija, the ground floor is usually not counted.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 03, 2011
kez007:

Hello nairalanders, i am a construction professional and real estate investor with approximately 10 years of post graduate experience. After following a number of threads on the property section on nairaland, i am please to know that several people share the same passion for real estate and construction that i do. As a result i have decided to bring you along with me on a 27 month journey that i started last month. All comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome. At the end, we should all be able to walk away with some new insight on global construction methods and procedures,   Below is the architect's impression, and a brief synopsis of the project. Make una Enjoy,

Project - 10 story office building to be used as a hospital

Budget - US$ 120 Million

Duration - 27 months

Start - October 1, 2011
End - December 31, 2013

In other words, this is YOUR opportunity and time to CHOP some franklins!!! grin grin grin
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Pennywise(m): 2:14pm On Nov 03, 2011
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by hbrednic: 2:22pm On Nov 03, 2011
i need to build something like this in my village cool

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 2:29pm On Nov 03, 2011
In October, two major phases were completed, and two still ongoing.

1. Demolition of the one story building and removal of brick facade from existing building to be adjoined to.
2. Installation of 525 Auger cast piles for foundation - Ongoing.
3. Installation of 21 drilled piers for foundation.
4. Started installation of tower crane - Ongoing

With reference to number 2 and 3 above, the foundation design is such that we have numerous configuration of pile caps sitting on piles. Imagine a big block of concrete sitting on legs (six to eight). Each leg is 80 ft deep and 2 ft in diameter. The caps on the average are 13ft X 9ft X 5ft (L X W X D).

The difference between the "augered piles" and "drilled piers" is the installation process. I'll explain later from pictures,   Here are pictures of item #1- Demolition of one story building and brick removal,  cool cool

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 2:30pm On Nov 03, 2011
Demolition!!

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 2:41pm On Nov 03, 2011
Demolition!!

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by KacHemNaU(m): 3:02pm On Nov 03, 2011
Hmmm. Na money be dat oo
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by justokey(m): 3:10pm On Nov 03, 2011
Are those adjoining buildings occupied? There seem to be no protection for the occupants from hazards.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 3:22pm On Nov 03, 2011
Quick question bros, what is an Auger cast pile and what is its function in the building, this will help us understand how the materials used there compare with what we use here.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by tutuwater(m): 3:33pm On Nov 03, 2011
waoh see money. how much is ya cut bros
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:38pm On Nov 03, 2011
justokey:

Are those adjoining buildings occupied? There seem to be no protection for the occupants from hazards.

Nice observation, The adjoining building was evacuated and isolated a month before work started, All utilities and MEP services were disconnected also.

tutuwater:

waoh see money. how much is ya cut bros

Na to see if we fit complete the project within budget first, money go come , lol grin grin
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by ossyme(m): 3:42pm On Nov 03, 2011
You may find this site (http://www.augercastpiles.com/sites/augercastpile/techoverview.aspx)
helpful as regards your enquiry on auger pile

Auger Cast Pile

INTRODUCTION

Auger Cast Piles are installed by rotating a continuously flighted hollow shaft auger into the soil to a specified depth. High strength cement grout is pumped under pressure through the hollow shaft as the auger is slowly withdrawn. The resulting grout column hardens and forms an auger cast pile. Reinforcing, when required, can be installed while the cement grout is still fluid or (in the case of full length single reinforcing bars) through the hollow shaft of the auger prior to the withdrawal and grouting process.

Auger Cast Piles can be used:

As friction piles - the superstructure load is transferred to the soil through friction between the pile surface and the soil;
As an end-bearing pile - the superstructure load is transferred through the pile tip into a hard stratum of soil or rock;
As an anchor pile - hydrostatic or other uplift forces are resisted though a full length tendon embedded in the grout column;
As a vertical component of a continuous auger cast curtain wall in temporary or permanent shoring systems and below grade walls; and
As a temporary or permanent diagonal tie-back in auger cast curtain walls, beam and lagging walls, and sheet pile walls.

ADVANTAGES

Less noise - Auger cast piles are a drilled and pumped pile, not a driven pile. This eliminates the hammer impact noise created by driving piles.

No objectionable vibration - The elimination of a pile-driving hammer allows the installation of auger cast piles adjacent to existing structures without the danger of settlement or damage to existing footings, walls, other structural components, or nearby equipment.

No casing required - During the installation of an auger cast pile, the earth filled auger maintains the shape of the pile hole during the drilling phase. The pressures produced by the grout pump during the withdrawal and grouting phase exceed the lateral pressures exerted by the soil, and while the gout is still fluid, the lateral pressures per foot of depth of the grout exceed those pressures per foot of depth of the soil.

Can be installed in limited headroom conditions - Auger sections can be manufactured to accommodate installation of auger cast piles inside existing buildings with a minimum clearance of 7 to 10 feet.

Soil at each pile hole can be inspected - The grout that is pumped into the pile displaces the existing soil for the entire length of the pile. This displacing action allows the soil along the length to be available for visual inspection and testing.
TYPICAL PILE LOADS

The following table represents typical pile loads:
Diameter (inches) Loading Range (tons) Compressive strength (psi)
12" 10-50 3000-4000
14" 50-75 3000-4000
16" 75-100 3500-4500
18" 100-150 4000-5000

* actual results vary depending on soil conditions.

The diameters indicated are the most common used for auger cast piles. However, auger cast piles with diameters of 24, 30 and 36 inches have been successfully utilized with tests being conducted as high as 350 tons. Pile design capacities can be verified with several different testing procedures: ASTM D 1143 tests the compressive capacity of a pile by applying a static axial compressive load; ASTM D 4945 tests the compressive capacity of a pile by applying a dynamic axial high-strain impact load; ASTM D 3689 tests the tensile capacity of a pile by applying a static axial tensile load; ASTM D 3966 tests the lateral capacity of a pile by applying a static load perpendicular to the axis of the pile. ASTM D 5882 tests the integrity of the pile shaft by applying a dynamic axial low-strain impact load.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 03, 2011
justokey:

^^^^^^

yes we use the British system in naija, the ground floor is usually not counted.
this is layman talk, a surveyor told me. A storey is a building with one floor. When floors are being counted, you count from the first floor ignoring ground floor while with storey you count everything. I used to share your view until I was corrected by a man trained at the university of London and a fellow of NIESV for over 30years.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Fire Outbreak At Apongbon CMS, Lagos Island (Video, Pics) / Lagos Begins Demolition Of Buildings In Ojodu-Berger (Photos) / Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.