Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,205 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building (29028 Views)

DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / Architecture: Construction Of Duplex In Lekki & Akwa-Ibom State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:44pm On Nov 04, 2011
spyder880:

@Kez007, nice explanation about the drilled piles, I was about to ask what will hold the soil in place while the drill goes in and comes out to empty the sand, thanks for the fluid explanation, but what of place where the ground water is much, will this fluid hold back the water from flowing into the hole and possibly loosening some soil wall that will fall into the hole. Also, how is the rods inserted up till 65ft below the surface? I am sure machines handles those also. You are doing great, thanks.
In addition to Fidelo726 response, in areas where the water table is significantly higher than the depth of the pile, a cylindrycal casing made of metal sheets is inserted to prevent the collapse. This casing stays in place permanently and becomes part of the structure. Here are pictures of completed drilled piers.

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:47pm On Nov 04, 2011
Pictures of the completed Augered piles. Excavation has also been completed ready for the cap.

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:50pm On Nov 04, 2011
This ones are for the tower crane base

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:51pm On Nov 04, 2011
Formed cap for tower crane base

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:52pm On Nov 04, 2011
Poured pile cap for tower crane base,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 7:00pm On Nov 04, 2011
TGIF !!! Make i enjow isi-ewu and star yankee style , 
@Spyder880 Na your own be dis!! grin grin grin

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by ToToChoper: 7:39pm On Nov 04, 2011
@OP.

Is this the ongoing construction at the Heart and Vascular Tower of Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge?
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 8:02pm On Nov 04, 2011
ToToChoper:

@OP.

Is this the ongoing construction at the Heart and Vascular Tower of Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge?

@ToToChoper, Wisdom dictates that I always decline to disclose any specific info for the sake of client privacy, and potential legal implications. I'm not exactly sure why some people seem to be bothered by the client name or specific project location. This is not Nigeria, Certain things are not taken lightly in the U.S as you may well know especially when disclosed on a public thread. The purpose of this thread is to share knowledge, and provide insight on modern construction means and methods that are applied on large projects to those that are interested, and for me to do so, some certain level of discretion is always necessary. You can send me a private message at winextracash@yahoo.com if you really want more specific information.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by icez: 8:21pm On Nov 04, 2011
Quote from: justokey on Yesterday at 02:10:39 PM
^^^^^^

yes we use the British system in naija, the ground floor is usually not counted.

this is layman talk, a surveyor told me. A storey is a building with one floor. When floors are being counted, you count from the first floor ignoring ground floor while with storey you count everything. I used to share your view until I was corrected by a man trained at the university of London and a fellow of NIESV for over 30years.

You r right is it a 10 - storey building
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 8:23pm On Nov 04, 2011
@kez007, I feel you my man, we are currently dancing to the tunes of tuface and enjoying some bottles of em, emmm, emmmm. Anyway TGIF!!! Thanks for the explanation above jare. I am learning some good stuff here.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by ToToChoper: 10:17pm On Nov 04, 2011

Despite my doubts on the veracity of your contribution to this ongoing project,  I say kudos if actually you are the Project Manager for this job.

Next my guy, wisdom dictates your n.yash, lol

If you reside in Jigg city or have ever lived in Jigg city (that is Baton rouge for you), you will understand that this construction is off a well-travelled road privy to the PUBLIC. It's a freakin hospital for crying out loud so the issue of client privacy is perhaps your nigerianess worrying you. 

Additionally, the hospital has updates on this construction listed on their website not only for kez007 but the public.

(P.S: I don't need your email)

http://www.ololrmc.com/body.cfm?id=814&fr=true
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 11:14pm On Nov 04, 2011
@ToToChoper, the only reason why i am responding to you is  to maintain the focus on this thread. Despite your doubts, it is what it is. As i previously stated, the thread is to cover construction "means and methods" not to provide patients an update on the completion of their new service center. So please keep it moving if you have nothing better to do, especially if you do not need the knowledge.

The issue of privacy has nothing to do with seeing the building being built, it's about all the different pieces that go into it and how they are installed. For instance when a bank is being built, you cannot determine the components of the vault from the street, or in a project like this, did you know that the building would sit on 525 piles that are 80ft deep? amongst other things.

smh. It's funny how we nigerians never want to appreciate or give credit to our accomplishments. Just be happy for someone else's progress for once,  instead of looking for a way to discredit it,  Anyway, let's move on with the original intent of this thread,
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by dnative(m): 1:00am On Nov 05, 2011
^^^ No mind dem. I don't really know why some people are hell bent on proving too know. What does it matter if you know the location of the construction site and the name of the company. What next? You go tell us say your papa na MD of the company where OP dey work? And what does it matter what role the OP is holding on the project? What don't you guys understand about the thread simply being about construction processes and methods as employed for a commercial building in the US. Abeg make una take a long walk on a short plank  grin
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by NextHome(m): 3:14am On Nov 05, 2011
Subscribed
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by owobokiri(m): 5:34am On Nov 05, 2011
Interesting. A Nigerian politician will rather die on his way abroad for medical check up than biuld something like this in his country. Babaringa wearing Ijiots.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by perenren: 9:22am On Nov 05, 2011
@Kez007, please dont get distracted by people who have no knowledge of the intricacies of major construction projects in the U.S.
You will waste valuable time by responding to them. Continue to educate us about the technicalities involved in this project. Your distractor/s
probably have no clue that MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC cannot go into construction sites in the U.S. due to "Liabilty Insurance" reasons; talkless of
being able to furnish us pictures from '' Hard Hats Only" areas. The updates & notices posted on the hospital site is for informational and convenience purposes only and is quiet different from the technical knowlegde you`re sharing with us here.

I was tempted to start a thread of the construction of a mixed-use 6 family plus 4 stores here in N.Y.C. a few months back, but its because of people like your distractor/s that made me change my mind. I believe a lot of people would have gained some knowledge and insight as the construction progress, not to mention that i would have learned a lot from people's input as well. I am waiting for the D.O.B. to do a final sign off on the electricals and fire sprinkler systems and the subsequent issuance of the final C of O as the project was completed a month ago.

Please continue the good work that you are doing.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 06, 2011
MOD please stick this page. Those people advertising sends pages far back. I had to search to get here.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by agbalaya: 8:19am On Nov 06, 2011
Some people were just looking for cheap attention.Knowing the exact location has nothing to contribute to the knowledge this thread is suppose to proffer.
@op,don't be deter by this hater, a lot of them here on NL.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Aventures(m): 4:33pm On Nov 06, 2011
I am subscribing to this great tread. This tread is for we local champs to upgrade our self to international level.
@Ke07. Pls i will like to know little more abt Auger cast piling. I unbderstand the process as u av described it but is it only cement you use becos u mentioned cement grouting. i was thinking it should be concrete. Moreover how do u drive in ur reinforcement into it after removing the Auger.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 9:39pm On Nov 07, 2011
Aventures:

I am subscribing to this great tread. This tread is for we local champs to upgrade our self to international level.
@Ke07. Pls i will like to know little more abt Auger cast piling. I unbderstand the process as u av described it but is it only cement you use becos u mentioned cement grouting. i was thinking it should be concrete. Moreover how do u drive in your reinforcement into it after removing the Auger.

My brother u are correct, it is concrete, but it is designed to have smaller sized aggregate so that it can be pumped long distances without blocking the hose. With regard to the second question, remember that when the auger is being removed, the hole is filling up with grout/pumpable concrete so that when it is completely removed, the hole is completely filled. The reinforcing has already been tied into cages and is merely inserted with the use of a truck mounted crane. I should add that before they are inserted, wheels and spacers are installed on the outer bounderies to maintain uniform clearance from the piles exterior surface,
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 9:46pm On Nov 07, 2011
@ perenren, thanks for the comment. I hesitated to start this thread, but then i decided not to let a few bad influences deprive progressive and ambitious nairalanders from benefiting from this experience,  Hope NY is good cheers!!
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by WaltherPPK: 7:21am On Nov 08, 2011
ToToChoper:

Despite my doubts on the veracity of your contribution to this ongoing project,  I say kudos if actually you are the Project Manager for this job.

Next my guy, wisdom dictates your n.yash, lol

If you reside in Jigg city or have ever lived in Jigg city (that is Baton rouge for you), you will understand that this construction is off a well-travelled road privy to the PUBLIC. It's a freakin hospital for crying out loud so the issue of client privacy is perhaps your nigerianess worrying you. 

Additionally, the hospital has updates on this construction listed on their website not only for kez007 but the public.

(P.S: I don't need your email)

http://www.ololrmc.com/body.cfm?id=814&fr=true

U r a bloody fool.Better go do what u know how to do best, which is chopping toto.Don't distract the poster who is doing noble or I will take it personal with you.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Aventures(m): 10:10pm On Nov 08, 2011
@Ke07. We are used to boring a hole apply chemicals to keep the soil mass stay, fix reinforcement then pour the concrete. Is auger cast pile process an alternative/ advance method of constructing end bearing piles?
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by 77ken: 10:43am On Nov 09, 2011
Hi, one of they best thread by a nairalander in recent times I must say, thanks for the effort,
I am interested in the project management angle of your project, what software are you guys using for scheduling and project controls activities? would it be possible for one to follow your on on weekly progress measurement and controls activities?
I am would be grateful to learn a thing or two about the above, if you can, send a mail to me on belemathomson@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
WaltherPPK:

U r a bloody fool.Better go do what u know how to do best, which is chopping toto.Don't distract the poster who is doing noble or I will take it personal with you.

I can't stop laughing!!! Thanks for the support guys,
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2011
Aventures:

@Ke07. We are used to boring a hole apply chemicals to keep the soil mass stay, fix reinforcement then pour the concrete. Is auger cast pile process an alternative/ advance method of constructing end bearing piles?

The process you are describing is more similar to the drill pier installation, which is a little different from the auger cast pile installation. This was covered earlier on in the thread. Usually when the chemical or slurry is used, you have to use a concrete pump to start pumping at the bottom of the hole which displaces the slurry and pushes it up. At the same time a suction pump hose is ran to to surface of the hole to suck the chemical back into the tank as the concrete pushes it up. On the other hand if chemical/slurry is not used, the hole is simply drilled, reainforcing installed, and the concrete is poured in to the hole by conventional means. hope the picture below helps a little.

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:27pm On Nov 09, 2011
77ken:

Hi, one of they best thread by a nairalander in recent times I must say, thanks for the effort,
I am interested in the project management angle of your project, what software are you guys using for scheduling and project controls activities? would it be possible for one to follow your on on weekly progress measurement and controls activities?
I am would be grateful to learn a thing or two about the above, if you can, send a mail to me on belemathomson@yahoo.com. Thanks

@77ken, thanks for the compliment, I am using suretrack for scheduling, and CMiC for project management and controls. Sorry man, the most i am willing to divulge is a general idea of value of material stored and work in place on a milestone basis. However, i can answer any other PM related questions,

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:39pm On Nov 09, 2011
As of today, the tower crane base installation is complete. The cap was poured, th shear walls around the base have been erected, and it has been back filled. (see pic). The rest of the crane will be erected over the weekend.

We started pouring the pile caps this week. There are right under 65 caps and 3 supercaps for the stairs and elevators. We have currently poured 2 of the caps. These caps are 4ft deep with the surface dims at 13ft X 14ft. These hexaconal caps sit on 7 piles. Each corner sits on an 80ft deep pile, with an additional pile in the center, See pics,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:41pm On Nov 09, 2011
More pics of caps, You can see the size as it relates to the people standing by it, smiley

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:42pm On Nov 09, 2011
@Fidelo726, this one na for you, grin grin

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:46pm On Nov 09, 2011
reinforcing steel for grade beams, these will be tied shortly,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 3:55pm On Nov 09, 2011
Learning, enjoying the learning process. Thanks my man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Bungalow vs Duplex: Which Is Better? / Fire Outbreak At Apongbon CMS, Lagos Island (Video, Pics) / Lagos Begins Demolition Of Buildings In Ojodu-Berger (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.