Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,171 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. (2682 Views)

Nigerian Girl Traditionally Weds British Lover In Her Village (photos) / Do Somalis,ethiopians And Eritreans Consider Themselves As Whites? / Why Have We Been So Far Behind Whites: ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by publisher(m): 7:37pm On Nov 02, 2011
An Nigerian lady Ms Elizabeth Okoro walks into a 'whites only' restaraunt in Accra,raises alarm and Ghanaian authorities move into action.
News Source BBC.

Ghana seafood restaurant denies 'whites only' policy

The Italian manager of a restaurant in Ghana under investigation for allegedly operating a "whites only" policy has told the BBC it was a misunderstanding.

Marco Ranaldi said he made "a joke" about the racial profile of members of the Atlantic Lobsters and Dolphins.

A Ghanaian woman started an online protest after visiting the restaurant a week ago and allegedly being told that it was "only for white people".

Meanwhile, tourism authorities closed it on Tuesday as it was not licensed.

Police are still investigating the allegations of racism.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote
Elizabeth Okoro

I have not paraphrased, I haven't misconstrued, it wasn't lost in translation”

End Quote Elizabeth Okoro

The BBC's Samuel Bartels in the capital, Accra, says Elizabeth Okoro's campaign on the social media site Facebook has generated a huge uproar in the country.

Ms Okoro, 26, said she visited the restaurant in the capital, Accra, with some colleagues a week ago and was shocked to hear about the membership rules for the establishment.

"My Spanish colleague started filling out the membership book and at that point I said: 'Oh excuse me, I'd also like to join this club', and he responded, 'No, I'm sorry, it's only for white people,'" she told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

"I have not paraphrased, I haven't misconstrued, it wasn't lost in translation, it was an exact statement," she said.

Mr Ranaldi does not deny making the allegedly racist statement.

"When I was giving the member card to the Spanish guy, [and] the lady said, 'Why don't you give it to me?' - so I make a stupid joke. She gave me back an answer like: 'Ah ah, but if you do like this, tomorrow I will come back with police', and she laugh[ed]," he told the BBC.

"So I thought that both of us we were kidding. I mean, I made a stupid joke but I thought that she took it as a joke."

The controversy prompted a visit to the Atlantic Lobster and Dolphins by Ghana's Deputy Minister of Tourism James Agyenim Boateng.

He said the club was being shut down as it did not have a catering permit and was in breach of Ghana's tourism laws.

So only a Nigerian lady could develope the balls to challenge oyibos in Ghana? grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by Afam4eva(m): 7:56pm On Nov 02, 2011
Only an Igbo lady could muster courage to expose thm.
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 02, 2011
Authorities swoop into action and close down the restaurant pending investigations - Only in Ghana

If na for Naija - Nothing dey happen [Den go even ask u wetin Cary you go there?]
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by Afam4eva(m): 8:07pm On Nov 02, 2011
You can now see the disparity between the way things work in Nigeria and other parts of the world.
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by WAVixen: 8:20pm On Nov 02, 2011
afam4eva:

Only an Igbo lady could muster courage to expose thm.

Its astounding to read such comments in 2011!!!
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by Afam4eva(m): 8:22pm On Nov 02, 2011
WAVixen:

Its astounding to read such comments in 2011!!!

Dude, i'm just having fun.
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by WAVixen: 8:25pm On Nov 02, 2011
Ok, I hope so.
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by 9janinja1(f): 8:58pm On Nov 02, 2011
greateros:

Authorities swoop into action and close down the restaurant pending investigations - Only in Ghana

If na for Naija - Nothing dey happen [Den go even ask u wetin Cary you go there?]

true talk
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 08, 2012
^^^lol!
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by tpia5: 3:20am On Jul 09, 2012
so because someone bears the name okoro, that automatically means they're nigerian?

d.aft reasoning, if you ask me.
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by tpia5: 3:21am On Jul 09, 2012
A Ghanaian woman started an online protest after visiting the restaurant a week ago and allegedly being told that it was "only for white people".
Re: Nigerian Girl Expose 'whites Only' Restaraunt In Ghana, Authorities Swoop In. by Ptolomeus(m): 9:47pm On Jul 09, 2012
I can not confirm, but he always said in my country (Montevideo, Uruguay), there was a restaurant "white-only" in the '70s. The story goes that a group of about 4 people (all men) entered the restaurant, and the garçon refused to serve one of them, because he was black. The four men then began to break all the furniture in the restaurant, being all destroyed. The police did not intervene. Clearly, the event was caused by these four men, but I never heard of a white-only trade in my country ...
A story with a happy ending.
It's outrageous that in Africa there are stores exclusively for white ...

(1) (Reply)

A Colleague’s Response To Killing Of Rams On 3rd Mainland Bridge / Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide? / Oji Ezinihitte Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.