Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development (5647 Views)

Buhari Conferred With Equatorial Guinea's Highest National Honour / Godswill Akpabio Receives Wild Cheers As He Touches Down In Akwa Ibom..photos / Well Done! Kuku Receives US Honour For Amnesty Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by Beaf: 1:09am On Nov 03, 2011
[size=14pt]Akpabio receives national honour for development [/size]
Thursday, 03 November 2011

For setting the pace in transformation and people-oriented leadership in Akwa Ibom, the state governor, Chief Godswill Akpabio, will, on November 14, 2011 be conferred with a national honour by President Goodluck Jonathan.

The event, billed for the International Conference Centre, Abuja, will witness the conferment of the award of Commander of the Order of Niger (CON) on Chief Akpabio.

According to the Secretary, National Honours Merit Award Committee, Mr Adeyemi Tunde, President Jonathan would bestow the award on the governor and other recipients for having distinguished themselves in various areas of human endeavours.

Reacting, the Commissioner for Information and Communications in the state, Mr Aniekan Umanah, said the award  was well deserved and a confirmation of the transformation which the governor had brought to the state.

“This is an honour well deserved because Governor Godswill Akpabio has distinguished himself in the transformation drive, which has positioned Akwa Ibom as a model state in Nigeria.

“The people of Akwa Ibom State are grateful to the president for this honour done Governor Akpabio. It shows that the giant strides recorded by Governor Akpabio in infrastructural and human capital development are being recognised and appreciated by Nigerians,” Umanah said.

He used the opportunity to invite all Akwa Ibom people to join in the celebration.

The national honours for Akpabio is coming a few weeks after he was similarly honoured by the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), Kaduna, with an award of a honourary degree of Doctor of Management Science  during the 22nd convocation ceremony of the institution.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/30672-akpabio-receives-national-honour-for-development
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by velo10: 5:29am On Nov 03, 2011
Big ups to Akpabio. His fame is spreading. However he needs to be more democratic when dealing with opposition.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by sheyguy: 7:07am On Nov 03, 2011
i think he deserves this in way cos he is doing virtually what no other governor is doing with what some governors like him are receiving(funds). but that doesn't mean he can't improve.
Thumbs up Akpabio.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by Beaf: 1:16pm On Nov 03, 2011
velo10:

Big ups to Akpabio. His fame is spreading. However he needs to be more democratic when dealing with opposition.

He hasn't been undemocratic IMHO, he has just played hardball with a terrible opponent.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 03, 2011
he seems to be trying, good for him.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by alex406(m): 10:13am On Nov 04, 2011
GenBuhari:

he seems to be trying, good for him.
Honestly this man is really trying,everyboy love him in his state. I also heard he gives money to needy on daily basis and also built the largest drainage system in west Africa which is capable of accomodating a truck without hindrance.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by Gbenge77(m): 10:26am On Nov 04, 2011
Nice one.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by edynasty: 10:48am On Nov 04, 2011
One governor I have admirations for. . .the last time I visited the government house in Uyo it only took me less than a 30mins drive from ekot-abasi to uyo. . .this is like 3 LGA's away from each other.

I tag him "Nigerians most successful governor from PDP" wink
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 04, 2011
anyhow you want to look @ it.he has really tried unlike attah who despite being the architect of the state's master plan did next to nothing when he had the power of execution. however, he needs to work hard FDI and technical skills acquisition as they are what will fully make the state a economic heavyweight not just nationally but continentally
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by EPOMA(m): 11:10am On Nov 04, 2011
alex406:

Honestly this man is really trying,everyboy love him in his state. I also heard he gives money to needy on daily basis and also built the largest drainage system in west Africa which is capable of accomodating a truck without hindrance.

He is trying and what is he doing, I just feel sad sometimes that only in Nigeria that people get awards for doing the least normal thing. I do not like when people keep on paying the press for their glory, Gov Attah did the same.Until our minds grow up, we will still be messed up in Nigeria.
  What has drainage got to do with this, which other west african country has a budget as akwa Ibom state and with so little people. Recieving about $8 billion in 4.5 year with only $1 billion spent on salary at these time in the state is what you guys call achievement.
     we sing glory of stupid and corrupt leaders and persons in Nigeria. We should take a walk to the middle east and see what  and how they are transforming their towns and environment with the same cash that our leaders are throwing in the drain in the name of emblezzling and then getting glory.

This is a man who most of the time watse a lot of money hiring private jets sometimes for weeks at $2500 an hour from state money.am not saying much
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 04, 2011
I am from this state and I truely appreciate what this guy is doing.I was in naija btw August and October 2nd and visited my state.I want to say Akpabio is in a different class in governance compared to his peers.I pray he continue like this or better still improve on this landmark achievements
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by Okijajuju1(m): 11:21am On Nov 04, 2011
If PDP wants to retain Power in 2015, they had better pick either Apkabio or Amaechi as their flag bearer.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by texazzpete(m): 11:22am On Nov 04, 2011
This same Governor did nothing while hundreds of kids were being maimed and tortured for 'child witchcraft' in his state until a documentary aired in the Uk forced his hand. Till date, the NGO taking care of the hundreds of displaced and traumatized kids remains an enemy of the State Government.

Only in Nigeria sha.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by EPOMA(m): 11:24am On Nov 04, 2011
Okija_juju:

If PDP wants to retain Power in 2015, they had better pick either Apkabio or Amaechi as their flag bearer.
You guys forget so easily, what about all the killings and kidnapping during the elections
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by EPOMA(m): 11:25am On Nov 04, 2011
texazzpete:

This same Governor did nothing while hundreds of kids were being maimed and tortured for 'child witchcraft' in his state until a documentary aired in the Uk forced his hand. Till date, the NGO taking care of the hundreds of displaced and traumatized kids remains an enemy of the State Government.

Only in Nigeria sha.

Thank you My brother
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by ImaIma1(f): 11:27am On Nov 04, 2011
Epoma d fact is that what he is doing is normal, which is what all other governors should be doing.thts wht they were put there for. but are they doing their jobs?no.

we appreciate Akpabio cos hes making a difference and genuinely makin d state better.

if u r in nigeria, u wld understnd but u sound like u r far away and judgin from afar.

carry on akpabio. Akwaibom ado ok!
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by omo9ja1(m): 11:27am On Nov 04, 2011
kudos to the  Gov Akpabio, I hope others Govs too can do something there is still room for improvements
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by texazzpete(m): 11:37am On Nov 04, 2011
Ima Ima:

Epoma d fact is that what he is doing is normal, which is what all other governors should be doing.thts wht they were put there for. but are they doing their jobs?no.

we appreciate Akpabio cos hes making a difference and genuinely makin d state better.

if u r in nigeria, u wld understnd but u sound like u r far away and judgin from afar.

carry on akpabio. Akwaibom ado ok!

So have we settled for giving awards to people for just doing the jobs they are paid to do?!

You Nigerians disappoint me sha. Apparently, the ceiling is the limit, not the sky.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by ITbomb(m): 11:50am On Nov 04, 2011
The governor is really trying
@EPOMA, hundred children were maltreated yes. do u realised that
1. Akwa Ibom has more than 3m people
2. The place the said incident happen is about 5 lga from the state capital
3. The incident first point of report was international media, instead of making a report to the government first.
This is a governor that has place so much emphasis on human development. free and compulsory education to secondary
Will the governor be responsible for the activities of everybody, were the children maltreated by the governor?

Let me make it categorically state that, the governor's beef with the people responsible was that the matter which happen without the knowledge of the government was broadcast as if it happen in the governor's backyard.
imagine in Aba, some people operate baby factory, will you say Abia state governor is responsible for their activities, and if the scenario was broadcast international as if it was widespread or common practise in Abia state or the governor knows about it and didnt do anything, do u think the governor will take it lightly.

Development can be seen everywhere u go in Akwa Ibom state, not just the state capital and everybody is seeing it.
That is all that matters
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by ITbomb(m): 12:01pm On Nov 04, 2011
So have we settled for giving awards to people for just doing the jobs they are paid to do?!

YES

When they do it well, so that other who cant do the same despite the fact that they are also paid will sit up

U paid ur marketin executive to bring customer to ur biz and he does a well good job, wont u give him an award, that is the practice in the biz world. it is called motivation.

Grow up boy
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by ImaIma1(f): 12:06pm On Nov 04, 2011
i appreciate his efforts whether u guys r disappointd in me or not.

am aware of the "asides"and "sorrounds"but i chose to appreciate d "little"things hes doing tht many other governors tht hv been given the same mandate havent lived up to.

so if u like shake ur heads,dim ur eyes and squeeze ur faces, it wont stop d fact that "unworthy"Akpabio is gettin dis award.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by babyme1(f): 12:10pm On Nov 04, 2011
Talk of rural development, Akpabio is the man. Akwa Ibomites are happy with him, except the few tribalistic ones. Akwa Ibom Ado Ok!
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by joscar: 12:27pm On Nov 04, 2011
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]guys, if Akpabio will have more chance again to be d governor of Akwa ibom, i will vote for him without looking back for anybody. the governor is truely God's send i like him and i wish him well wit all his future endeavor, even his children children to come becos his doing gud to his people and gud tins will follow him anyway he goes.
this also remaind me of a story that said 'if You have one chance try to make a used of that chance very well'

well done ntantaffiong Anang, may d God almight guide you and give you more wisdom to do more! Amen
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by EPOMA(m): 12:31pm On Nov 04, 2011
1.Government House built at a cost of N7.4 billion Naira had in the following year budget attracted additional N10 billion Naira to provide what they call The Banquet Hall of the Government House.

20 kilometer road in akwa ibom gulp N56 Billion Naira on behalf of the Federal government? construction of the 238 kilometer Benin-Shagamu dualised Federal road? I remember Prof. Dora Akunyinli, the former Minister of Information saying that the contract had been awarded for N47.2 Billion Naira. We were told that an underground drainage system which was first of its kind in African Continent(Courtesy of President Goodluck Jonathan) was a part of the 20kilometre Federal road.

Tropicana Garden and the Galleria which was going to attract tourism and render Akwa Ibom, Africa ’s tourist destination. The project which was originally put at N33 Billion Naira has since been raised to N70 Billion Naira .

You guys thing oil money will be there forever or you thing of your grand children, vision , just abusing money
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by EPOMA(m): 12:35pm On Nov 04, 2011
joscar:

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]guys, if Akpabio will have more chance again to be d governor of Akwa ibom, i will vote for him without looking back for anybody. the governor is truely God's send i like him and i wish him well wit all his future endeavor, even his children children to come becos his doing gud to his people and gud tins will follow him anyway he goes.
this also remaind me of a story that said 'if You have one chance try to make a used of that chance very well'

well done [b]ntantaffiong Anang
, may d God almight guide you and give you more wisdom to do more! Amen [/b]

see how stupid annang people are, worshipping a man becos of money. nawaoooo, so if akwa ibom was transformed to the like of beirut or bahrain, he will become God. local champions
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by ImaIma1(f): 12:56pm On Nov 04, 2011
u guys that r seriously criticising, why dont u talk about ur states.

i know many of these governors r still embezzling money but they r better than d ones embezzlin and not working.

fashola may be choppin for all i care but i see a lot work bein done compared to ther states that r rotting away.

talk about ur own states.am sure its not impressive thts why u r shooting arrows here.i dnt want to mention regions and states so tht i dont sound tribalistic but many states r far from making progress.

whteva little effort is made by any governor, try to be positive rather than search endlessly for loopholes.

we nigerians r usd 2 being pessimistic.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by joscar: 1:13pm On Nov 04, 2011
@Epo i dnt think u have common sence at all, and if u r send by opposition to criticise this Governor wit all his gud work, i rather command you to go and kiss toilet madman, ur mama na him bi silly, ur generation na him bi silly pple, jst look at this fool gulling d hold tribe silly people
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by KnowAll(m): 1:21pm On Nov 04, 2011
What has drainage got to do with this, which other west african country has a budget as akwa Ibom state and with so little people. Recieving about $8 billion in 4.5 year with only $1 billion spent on salary at these time in the state is what you guys call achievement

[size=14pt]The feelers I get from forums like this about this Governor is, foreigners and what  I mean by foreigners are,  out of staters that is residents including Akwa Ibomites in other states and in the Diasporas tend to love him to bits and are appreciative of what he is doing. But on the other side of the coin those who live within the states seem to be singing from a different sheet, they seem to despise him. Shouldn’t we outsiders pay heed to those discontent voices from within who would surely know better than we outsiders me inclusive.

For instance if we take the issue of the money accrued to Akwa Ibom State in the last 4 years which is in excess of $8 Billion dollars going by what  this poster claimed above,  that is more than any income earned by any community within the West African region except maybe Rivers and Bayelsa or to be precise one of them. Going by information I believe is in the public domain that Dubai was built for  $20 billion dollars when one compares what is on the ground in Akwa Ibom State with what Dubai has to show case for her $20 billion investment and development drive knowing Akwa Ibom State has already or nearly spent more than 2/4 th of that amount and there is really nothing to show except mundane and superficial development one might be tempted to say this fellow is a colossal failure when compared with his contemporaries in other climes. But going by the Nigeria Standard (which is a very low standard I must say) one cannot but appreciate that he is a messiah amongst the blind.

I would hope the next man that takes over from him would thrive to be a Goliath amongst the general community of nations rather than been a Goliath amongst embezzlers, fraudsters and outright thieves within the Nigerian Polity.[/size]
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by badmrkt(m): 1:49pm On Nov 04, 2011
Abasi udoung ano mkpong inam.
i've really felt the dividend of democray with this man.so proud of him,
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by kings33(m): 2:26pm On Nov 04, 2011
I hope sooner than later everyone will know the real Akpabio when he steps down. The gov wit occult ties, that shuts down the whole state treasury to pay bribes. Why is he running around buying for himself awards here and there if he has nothing to hide.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by ortopazz(m): 3:30pm On Nov 04, 2011
oh please spare me all these, akpabio? God I laugh, r we talking about a state that nurses have been owed 3months salary when the so called 'oil money' is gushing?

or are we talking about a state governor who a simple policy as respect lacks in his lexicon? he is of course having issues with the erstwhile just so you admirers must know( GOV.ATTAH, during his regime fought for the money that is being abused today, that is he took the scar of being a bad person as being labelled as OBASANJO'S enemy over the onshore offshore dichotomy issue) and today that money is wasted on roads that come from his mouth and not our legs.

he was the first to acknowledge that if as for AKWA-ABASI IBOM STATE, he will be the firstGOVERNOR IN THE WHOLE WORLD to pay the minimum wage, and today what happened, during the reshuffling of his cabinet, he sacked the former head of service, MRS GRACE ANWANA, for not going public to say that he had started paying the minimum wage.
Re: Gov. Akpabio Receives National Honour For Development by ortopazz(m): 3:37pm On Nov 04, 2011
the ,man akpabio is wicked, y do we reward thieves when they ought to be hung.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Was Paid To Some States In Nigeria In 2013 Ws More Than The Budget Of Ghana / Special Forces Units And Operators Of The Nigerian Armed Forces / PDP Extends Sale And Submission Of Presidential, Guber & NASS Nomination Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.