Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? (13000 Views)

Parents Send Soldiers To Beat Guests At Son's Wedding / Should I Help Her Or Chase Her Out Of My House? / Budget Wedding. N900k For 350 Guests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by kodewrita(m): 11:24am On Nov 03, 2011
Have a friend staying with me during regular assignments that bring him to my town.

On the last trip, he decided to upscale by inviting his girlfriend over without informing me though he balanced that by revealing some business ops which he is normally closemouthed about( i think this was deliberate).

Tried to gain some permanency by buying a small bed foam supposedly for the girlfriend to stay for some days but I foiled that by offering to occupy my sofa for the few days.{something tells me thats a bad idea}.

My issue now is that my apartment is run by some simple rules which they find hard to follow ( lock the front door, nothing on the floor, put off the inverter during the day except your laptop battery is down and no nepa, wash what you use{plates}).

Not to reveal too much( in case he's does avid Nairalanding),

How do you chase away unwanted guests without spoiling the relationship too much (at least I made some fast cash off the tips)? what do you normally do?

if i dont get ideas, i might have to be blunt and tell him to visit other friends on his next trip( thats my bias actually but I would like to do the mature thing in this circumstance).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Afam4eva(m): 11:45am On Nov 03, 2011
I'm having a similar problem but it has nothing to do with chasing anybody away.

How do you tell someone to pay you the money he owes without sounding rude.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 03, 2011
Something tells me "subtle" wouldn't work with this guy. He's taking advantage of a friend's generosity and good manners. The fact he's inviting his girlfriend without his host's permission, and generally treating his host's home like an unserviced hotel says a lot about him as a person. He works, so why does he act like a bum?

I'm very blunt in such issues, I would simply tell him he's outstayed his welcome. Sometimes, the sledge hammer approach works best, especially when dealing with someone who obviously knows what he's doing wrong.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by ifyalways(f): 12:20pm On Nov 03, 2011
@Kode,invite your babe over.
Women have their own way of throwing out unwanted guests so Invite your babe,inform your friend that your babe is coming over for some days and leave the rest for the ladies.

@Afam,The only language Nigerians living in Nigeria understand is 'roforofo'.If you wanna play gentleman,you can as well kiss your dough goodbye.
Well,not to appear rude;send the debtor an sms at around 8 am and inform him that you have an urgent need for your money hence you would stop by at his/her place by 11 am to pick the money.You have achieved 2 things:
Remained cool and non-abusive.
Asked for your money as opposed to asking for "when" you'd get the money.

The debtor should be ashamed not you.Next time,Never ever give out money you can't afford to lose especially to a friend,family or colleague.Chances are you'd lose both plus your sanity.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Outstrip(f): 1:44pm On Nov 03, 2011
Why do people just take people's kindness for foolishness. This is why sometimes it pays to just be a mean ass bitch. Imagine moving his girlfriend in. the girl too no get shame. Anyway poster stay there and be asking questions. When you get home today she would have given birth to twins and moved her mother in to do omugo
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by oln: 3:38pm On Nov 03, 2011
^dis is funny
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by yodiyokun(f): 4:27pm On Nov 03, 2011
@afameva

My rule no 1 - Never borrow what you can't afford to loose. Period.
I don't borrow - I give. If I don't have to give I say NO. I don't care who is asking for the money.

Now, ask your friend politely to return. Also tel he or she is that if they do not return as promised, it will be difficult to trust them on money matters in the future.

If they do not return it, forget it. It's gone and dont ruin your friendship cos of that.

Chuck it up to a life lesson.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Image123(m): 4:42pm On Nov 03, 2011
Yepa, so na here this boy come expose my life! We go meet for house, whether na your Father house.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by OAM4J: 4:43pm On Nov 03, 2011
Outstrip:

Why do people just take people's kindness for foolishness. This is why sometimes it pays to just be a mean Bottom NaughtyWoman. Imagine moving his girlfriend in. the girl too no get shame. Anyway poster stay there and be asking questions. When you get home today she would have given birth to twins and moved her mother in to do omugo

lol grin
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Igosun: 4:44pm On Nov 03, 2011
Tell him your g/friend or mom or sister is/are coming and their coming is for family issues
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Maximip(m): 4:47pm On Nov 03, 2011
ifyalways:

@Kode[b],invite your babe over.[/b]
Women have their own way of throwing out unwanted guests so Invite your babe,inform your friend that your babe is coming over for some days and leave the rest for the ladies.

makes sense die!!! although if it were me i'll use a lady friend not my babe babe. It's a dirty job.

ifyalways:

@Afam,The only language Nigerians living in Nigeria understand is 'roforofo'.If you wanna play gentleman,you can as well kiss your dough goodbye.
Well,not to appear rude;send the debtor an sms at around 8 am and inform him that you have an urgent need for your money hence you would stop by at his/her place by 11 am to pick the money.You have achieved 2 things:
Remained cool and non-abusive.
Asked for your money as opposed to asking for "when" you'd get the money.

The debtor should be ashamed not you.Next time,Never ever give out money you can't afford to lose especially to a friend,family or colleague.Chances are you'd lose both plus your sanity.

Very true. same happened to me. Although i cancelled the remainder of the debt, my paddy is still avoiding me.  undecided undecided
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by AfroBlue(m): 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2011
KW, did your friend abide by your house rules on previous visits? This girl of his may be a bad influence on him and may have to be sacked from the premises. Your peace of mind comes first. In any rate, try to be patient if he is a true friend. Helping someone brings back blessings or good karma into your life.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Babamide(m): 5:00pm On Nov 03, 2011
Rent a wife
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by amuukwu1(m): 5:01pm On Nov 03, 2011
ifyalways:

@Kode,invite your babe over.

@ifyalways, this is very true. I just pulled that on a fellow recently and it worked perfectly. Imagine a visitor turning me to a visitor in my own house.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Emperoh(m): 5:03pm On Nov 03, 2011
This and a good number of other stuff make me angry.
Why take your girlfriend or woman to another man's house to bunk?

And then this. . . .i guess poster made it a tea party from the onset.
Once he steps in, you state your rules amid jokes and sound the sledge hammer whenever it's broken
Like that, people know they can't come in and behave anyhow.

Next time, some 'posting' will work whenever he's visiting.
But remember, you have to be a bit firm this time!!
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Koolking(m): 5:09pm On Nov 03, 2011
mehn, this is a predicament. Knowing your friend quite well, talk to him about his gf he invited over without an opinion from you. Your friend to me is not acting matured and is taking advantage of your kindness. I trust chats will help sort things out.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by oneuniquemind(m): 5:10pm On Nov 03, 2011
Remind him of d rules nd if no +ve result,stylishly ask wen his girl gonna leave dt u'r nt comfortable wt it else u myt commit.Am sure wt ds,he's gonna act fast.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by KacHemNaU(m): 5:27pm On Nov 03, 2011
Koolking:

mehn, this is a predicament. Knowing your friend quite well, talk to him about his gf he invited over without an opinion from you. Your friend to me is not acting matured and is taking advantage of your kindness. I trust chats will help sort things out.
Goodluck with that
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Tdunjoye: 5:37pm On Nov 03, 2011
Just like someone advice, invite ur babe to stay 4 weekend, women love privacy, they rarely tollerate and they know how to get rid of people they dt like around them.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by pudsey: 5:40pm On Nov 03, 2011
I think you should sit down and discus ur discomfort with ur friend. This is ur house and i believe anyone coming in should stand by ur principles,
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Heck: 5:43pm On Nov 03, 2011
My friend, that lady said it all. Do not give out what you can't foresake as loan.
My nature is diplomatic bluntness. say it softly but follow with alaye type of reaction.
Why keep quiet when the gf walked in. You are curting enemity because when you
finally ask him out or the gf, he will release bad mouth on you. eg "is it because I came
to your house that you are disgracing me before my woman----" bum he goes.
as it is, the mistake is made. But invite him to a private chat. Tell him softly and get a promise
of departure date. Where the promise fails, give him an ultimatum date. That day lock him out.
If you are the weak type; lock and sleep elsewhere.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Andrew3(m): 5:44pm On Nov 03, 2011
It will really be a chagrin for your best friend which ever way you do it.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by gazilion: 5:47pm On Nov 03, 2011
By allowing your friend to commit immorality and fornication in your own house - in the sight of God is abomination.
God has not provided the house for you to run a brothel. Give your life to Christ, tell your friend about your decision to follow Jesus.
Respectfully chase them out of your house.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Andrew3(m): 5:48pm On Nov 03, 2011
only a nomad would take his gf to someone house.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by WebSurfer(m): 5:54pm On Nov 03, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by oddy4real(m): 5:57pm On Nov 03, 2011
If a guest overstays his welcome in your house, just tell him " this time yesterday, we had slept in this house". I am sure he won't come again
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by blank(f): 6:10pm On Nov 03, 2011
This is quite funny.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by tit(f): 6:11pm On Nov 03, 2011
i guess u and most of the responders here do not know the meaning of the words friend, guest and hospitality.
you now have a few other people, with their jetsam and flotsam, in your 'world', so it cannot be the same.

your selfishness must have so shown that your 'friend' tried to buy your acceptance with money.

if you call the guy friend, tell him what you expect. reasonably.
but i think you need to work a bit harder on yourself.
(i have thrown a few friends out of my place to my eternal regret. wish i had taken a diferent route).
you need to be more accomodating.
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by 9icelag: 6:20pm On Nov 03, 2011
U have 2 be diplomatic how u handle it cos it seems u and ur friend are pretty close so y not ask him wen is he leavin get a definate date from him once he leaves if he call dat he would be coming u simply tell him how u feel i tink dis will work
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by nanidee(f): 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2011
Lol, This story sounds too familiar.

My boyfriend was faced with exactly the same situation as the OP, infact, his was worse, because this was a serviced apartment, meaning extra pay, and not only did his friend and girl friend stylishly move in with him, they were practically living off my boyfriend. Eating up everything in the fridge, drinking everything, and the most annoying part was receiving visitors and serving them drinks, food et all.
This leech of a friend claimed he wanted to be closeby because of some meeting he had to attend, and as he put it, "his place was far from town".
Voila!!! He slowly brought his belongings, and before you knew it, his very fat girl friend landed as well.

Geeezzz!!!! When I realized what was going on, and knowing my guy to be very easy going and courteous, I had to step in sharp sharp. grin

*first things first, i made it clear that no one should take anything  I put in the fridge, as I would not take it lightly. Then I took up the responsibility of buying the groceries  wink
* next I made the kitchen quite uncomfortable for the fat a*as girlfriend, when I realized that she only goes in there to cook my boo's food for her and her boyfriend, without even caring to make some for my boo. ( that was the height)
* I insisted that no one touches "my food stuff" yes! I called it mine
* I made sure I cooked some really appetizing meals, just for me and my boo, made sure they saw it, and whenever the guy asks
for some, I politely say "sorry, my baby might want some more. You know he works so hard to make enough money to pay the bills, and I don't want him to get hungry at any time" and then, I'll suggest he eats some bread as there's some in the cupboard.
grin

Trust me, with the nasty attitude I put up, (especially remembering to sing Jason De'rulo's - don't wanna go home) anytime I see them, it wasn't long before the fat a*as girlfriend moved out. Lol.

The boyfriend decided to be stubborn and stay back, that's when I started getting real nasty. Trust me, even my boo started to get soo uncomfortable, that he quickly consented when I suggested we go spend the weekend in a hotel.

The leech had no choice but to leave, since he couldn't pay for the serviced apartment for the little time that my boo wasnt going
to be around.

After that incident I became unnecessarily nice whenever he calls my boyfriend. I would even shout "hello, longest time" over the phone, and sometimes insist on saying "hi" to him.  cheesy

Whew, Sorry for the long story, but I couldnt help remembering this.

So, my advice, like someone said, get your woman to pay you a visit. She'll sort it out in no time. This one requires brute force lol.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by Pukkah: 6:24pm On Nov 03, 2011
nanidee:

Lol,  This story sounds too familiar.

My boyfriend was faced with exactly the same situation as the OP, infact, his was worse, because this was a serviced apartment, meaning extra pay, and not only did his friend and girl friend stylishly move in with him, they were practically living off my boyfriend. Eating up everything in the fridge, drinking everything, and the most annoying part was receiving visitors and serving them drinks, food et all.
This leech of a friend claimed he wanted to be closeby because of some meeting he had to attend, and as he put it, "his place was far from town".
Voila!!! He slowly brought his belongings, and before you knew it, his very fat girl friend landed as well.

Geeezzz!!!! When I realized what was going on, and knowing my guy to be very easy going and courteous, I had to step in sharp sharp. grin

*first things first, i made it clear that no one should take anything  I put in the fridge, as I would not take it lightly. Then I took up the responsibility of buying the groceries  wink
* next I made the kitchen quite uncomfortable for the fat a*as girlfriend, when I realized that she only goes in there to cook my boo's food for her and her boyfriend, without even caring to make some for my boo. ( that was the height)
* I insisted that no one touches "my food stuff" yes! I called it mine
* I made sure I cooked some really appetizing meals, just for me and my boo, made sure they saw it, and whenever the guy asks
for some,  I politely say "sorry, my baby might want some more. You know he works so hard to make enough money to pay the bills, and I don't want him to get hungry at any time" and then, I'll suggest he eats some bread as there's some in the cupboard.
grin

Trust me, with the nasty attitude I put up, (especially remembering to sing Jason De'rulo's - don't wanna go home) anytime I see them, it wasn't long before the fat a*as girlfriend moved out. Lol.

The boyfriend decided to be stubborn and stay back, that's when I started getting real nasty. Trust me, even my boo started to get soo uncomfortable, that he quickly consented when I suggested we go spend the weekend in a hotel.

The leech had no choice but to leave, since he couldn't pay for the serviced apartment for the little time that my boo wasnt going
to be around.

After that incident I became unnecessarily nice whenever he calls my boyfriend. I would even shout "hello, longest time" over the phone, and sometimes insist on saying "hi" to him.  cheesy

Whew,  Sorry for the long story, but I couldnt help remembering this.

So, my advice, like someone said, get your woman to pay you a visit. She'll sort it out in no time. This one requires brute force lol.

You're just sooooooo funny!
Re: How Do You Chase Away Unwanted Guests? by iice(f): 6:26pm On Nov 03, 2011
My ex calls them cockroach friends.
One day they say to crash on the sofa, turns to one month.
They take your car for joyrides, forgetting you also need it.
They eat your stuff forgetting you bought it because you wanted to eat it.

A friend understands you.  No matter how blunt you put it to them, they will understand because they know you.
Some people need a knock on the head to wake up.  

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Your Earliest Memory? / How I spent My Xmas. / How Do I Handle My Problematic Father?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.