Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Police Permit For Tinted Cars - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Police Permit For Tinted Cars (3250 Views)

Tinted Glass Permits And Police SPY NUMBERS ... Get Yours In 24hrs ... / Don’t Pay For Tinted Vehicle Permit- Inspector General of Police / Police Permit For Tinted Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Permit For Tinted Cars by folarina(m): 10:39am On Sep 17, 2007
Hello oo ,

I have a car which is tinted from factory .

I dont want police to be disturbing me hence i want to obtain a tint permit from Police.

Can you advise how much it will cost ? What is the process?
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by mrtunde(m): 2:35pm On Sep 18, 2007
Men!
This is one of those many opportunities the police use to extort Nigerians.
Yes, i think there is a law requiring police permit for tinted vehicles.
But the wahala is, you can only get the permit from certain police stations.
You will pay something between 45k to 60k depending on the greed of the police officer that attends to you.
You will not get a receipt and you will be asked to come back in a day or so to collect it.

I just did mine. if you do not have it, you may have to part with 500 - 1000 naira everytime you are stopped. which is probably 2-3 times a day depending on your route.

Its really sad.
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by folarina(m): 5:18pm On Sep 18, 2007
You are right o ,I have been stopped at least 10 times in 2 days !!!!!

I approach someone who says he can get it out for 15k . Another person said 30K but he warned me that there are so many fake ones out there ,so i need to eb careful.
The 15k sounds too cheap while the 30k sounds expensive but am not sure if he is only trying to reap me off.

My confession is that how much is this tint permit cost from authority ?
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by atilla(m): 6:10pm On Sep 18, 2007
@Folarina

check one of my posts on tinting car windows. maybe it would help.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-53270.32.html
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by viperman: 6:21pm On Sep 18, 2007
Whats all the wahala about.
Once you're approaching a check-point, you wind down your windows , shikeena! grin

1 Like

Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by folarina(m): 7:23pm On Sep 18, 2007
Nice one atilla

I will give the guy 15k ,i hope he doesn't just go and type something under the tree and give me .

I have been caught up like that before ,i will say that story for another day !

Any idea what the permit looks like ? How many pages is it ? etc
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by mrtunde(m): 12:17pm On Sep 19, 2007
Its just a freaking page letter.
very annoying!
yes plenty of fake ones around. in fact, on closer inspection, the one i got may even be a fake.
it really doesn't matter. half of the policemen you will meet cant read so anything that resembles a police permit will do.
they usually dont have time for thorough analysis.
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by yvy1(f): 3:06pm On Sep 19, 2007
We just did the permit for the cars in my house. The Driver says it cost him 20k per car after bargaining. He went to Police command Zone 2 in Igbosere with original particulars of the cars and two passport photographs each of the owners the cars. The permit came out in 24hrs. I haven't seen the particulars. When I see them I'll scan one and post it.
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by folarina(m): 6:16pm On Sep 19, 2007
Thanks Guys for all the info .

I will give it a shot and we see how it goes.

Am fed up of police trouble regarding the tint .
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by Jakumo(m): 6:31pm On Sep 19, 2007
mrtunde:

Its just a freaking page letter.
very annoying!
yes plenty of fake ones around. in fact, on closer inspection, the one i got may even be a fake.
it really doesn't matter. half of the policemen you will meet can't read so anything that resembles a police permit will do.
they usually don't have time for thorough analysis.

Ha ha no shit about half the Nigerian policemen being unable or unwilling to read the permit anyway. Since they will probably just glance at any "permit" that is produced for tinted windows, and we now know the fabled tinted window permit is not printed on rare parchment but on plain office paper, I wonder, how many people reading this thread are going to be tempted to type up their own tinted window permit thus saving bribe money that would otherwise have been spent on a forgery typed up by someone else.

Hey, anyone got a copy of a genuine Nigerian Police tinted widow permit letter to post here for educational purposes only ?
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by smartkid(m): 9:36pm On Sep 19, 2007
I did my tint permit at Force Headquarters (Louis Edet House) Abuja at the cost of N15k, through the assistance of my friend who knows somebody there (no official receipt given!). I don’t want to scan and post it to the public, but the permit contains my name, address, vehicle and chasis number and the make of the car. It’s signed by the Deputy Inspector-General of Police ‘B’ Department (Operations).

You are actually supposed to apply for it in writing and attach the relevant documents, originals for sighting. Mine is genuine, and I got it in 24 hrs. The permit is on police letter-headed paper and it contains a police telephone number and a reference number that could be verified. Whoever is in doubt can simply call the phone number and give the reference number for instant verification.

That’s the much I know, so I don’t know what obtains in other locations, nor do I know if the responsibility for issuing the tint permit has also been delegated to police stations.
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by princeonx: 9:23pm On Dec 17, 2007
Permits are normally/usually required if they are after market! but Nigeria police will stress you even if its factory fit! I hate to admit this but I did mine myself before going home last December! Nigeria police hate when you hand them ANY paper that has Federal Republic of Nigeria as letter heading! They immediately see you as a no nonsense person or someone capable of getting them fired and trust me the way you present yourself too count!
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by Seun(m): 12:44pm On Dec 18, 2007
Isn't the purpose of the law forbidding tinted windshields defeated when you can just buy a permit to use one?
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by princeonx: 9:35pm On Dec 19, 2007
@Seun: is it the same people that made that law that issue/sell the permit? you sound like you're new in 9ja!
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by mastro: 12:00am On Dec 20, 2007
simply get an original, and apply photoshop.
In fact if anyone can post an original copy up here, with details deleted, I will photoshop it for anyone interested
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 20, 2007
Seun:

Isn't the purpose of the law forbidding tinted windshields defeated when you can just buy a permit to use one?

It's a typical case of "the law's an arse". It's also another means of generating "revenue" for the wrong reasons.5

Happily, that "law" doesn't affect me.
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by mellow(m): 11:53am On Dec 20, 2007
Why do you need a tinted window Glass in the first place? Are you

on excort details?
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by Teejay07(m): 4:43pm On Dec 20, 2007
Mellow,

I hope you know that some used vehicles come with the 'tint'. However, there are different shades of 'tint' - some are just reflexive to shade the vehicle's occupant from sunrays. Whilst others are actually 'tinted' to shield the occupants from the prying eyes of the general public. I bought a Nissan Pathfinder American spec sometime in January this year from a car shop in Ikeja. And, I have had a running battle with the police over the reflexive glass.

Infact, each time I drive the car I have butterflies in my tummy. The other day when I asked a Police friend on how to the permit he gave me a bill of 50, 000 naira. Ever since I have almost abandoned the vehicle - until when I can sort the issue out.

So, some vehicles come like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, not all owners of such vehicles are trying to hide anything.

TJ
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 20, 2007
mellow:

Why do you need a tinted window Glass in the first place? Are you

on excort details?
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]

A lot of cars leave the factory now, with various shades of "tint". Not sure about Nigeria, but in the UK and US, most MPV's / SUV's have quite dark rear windows.
Re: Police Permit For Tinted Cars by toba1909(m): 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2007
yvy1:

We just did the permit for the cars in my house. The Driver says it cost him 20k per car after bargaining. He went to Police command Zone 2 in Igbosere with original particulars of the cars and two passport photographs each of the owners the cars. The permit came out in 24hrs. I haven't seen the particulars. When I see them I'll scan one and post it.

Yeah!!! It's actually 20K, my father got for his ford windstar for 20K last week
Although it was with the help of his friend (a retire CSP)

(1) (Reply)

Excavator 320l For Sale / DAF 1300 TIPPER / CRANE & Daf 95 8x4 Chasis (12 Tyres) From Holland! / Bmw X3 3.0i 2005, (registered) Coscharis Maintained For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.