Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,453 members, 7,808,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (63488 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:01am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

I may not understand "influence", but I understand 'Islamic conquest' well. grin

Now that's a start. wink
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 4:04am On Nov 09, 2011
Are we coming back for more? Go an do something better, like counting Arabic/Hausa words in Yoruba. Here's a start: Yoruba. grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:06am On Nov 09, 2011
Oh dear, the thing hurt you eh, see as you dey make every attempt to "vex" moi grin grin Now, makes moi more optimistic to comment on more pictures, I wan see wetin go make your head roll cheesy

Yes, Islamic:Yoruba grin  That's a start.  grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:08am On Nov 09, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Lakal,let me keep your mind straight here because I am from Idemmili who are the closest neighbor to onitsha people and the rightful owner of the land onitsha people live in today. That cloth the oba benin and obi of onitsha was wearing originated from idemmili which was an Nri offshoot,so,
My friend its not benin own because  Nri existed about 1000yrs before the benin found there first ogiso.
Secondly, if you look at the way Igbos wear their beads and compare it to the benins you will see a big difference. I have explained the sword,so,read my three previous post.
The only similarity I found was the way onitsha and benin women wear their wrapper. southeastern, are usually conservative and expose their upper body.

Dont let PhysicsQED catch you making reckless comment there. We know that the Bini empire expanded past some part of Yorubaland to some part of Igboland. To be honest, it makes cultural aspect of your culture very interesting. The beads are exquisite, arent they?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 4:10am On Nov 09, 2011
You keep mentioning people being hurt, is that what's on your mind? I'm not hurting. Thanks for caring.

Now, I see you're on your way studying the Islamic history of your people, so I'll leave you to it. Don't forget Odudwa now. (Hint: he was an Arab! I know shocked).
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:12am On Nov 09, 2011
LOL grin Ezeagu, why you dey hurt so? You no like Yoruba attire? tongue
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:13am On Nov 09, 2011
What would you do if I say the man with the white hat looks like a yoruba king? wink

www.nairaland.com/attachments/566747_OBI_OF_ONICHA_IGWE_ACHEBE_jpg2840eeed952fb36aba08f1cc1393ff0b
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:15am On Nov 09, 2011
The one in the middle, wearing everything white (lace agbada)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/565827_ofala8_jpg55d4bb5820b28df02b6335f90c0e419c
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 4:15am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

What would you do if I say the man with the white hat looks like a yoruba king? wink

I would say you need to send yourself back to researching Odudwa, the origin of Arabic-Yoruba words, and why there's an Emir of Illorin, oh, don't forget about Agbada's and half of your peoples religion. smiley
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:17am On Nov 09, 2011
Lace Yoruba attire, looks good on him.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/564794_ONITSHA_INDIGINES_AND_HIS_WIVE_jpgc0b156bcf857935fe1a5e23298bb2a09

That really dark man is a Yoruba man, compare their lace

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:17am On Nov 09, 2011
^^^ Forget the button part, we have some Yoruba attires made the same way.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 4:18am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That really dark man is a Yoruba man, compare their lace

I would never have been able to tell which of those men was Yoruba.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:21am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 4:22am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

I would never have been able to tell which of those men was Yoruba.

cheesy
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 4:22am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Precolonial Yoruba woman

Can't afford Ivory?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:23am On Nov 09, 2011
More Yoruba agbada, except we dont wear skirts under ours. That must be a scottish influence.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/564927_chief_iwenofu_jpg9b16bcfa16b95f197dbb9dbdefcb7582
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:24am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

cheesy
grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 4:24am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:24am On Nov 09, 2011
Now, this is an Igbo attire without yoruba influence

www.nairaland.com/attachments/564820_AKAOSA_jpge29e67aca26f8ff1afff1e00b2bcd4c5
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:25am On Nov 09, 2011
Can someone point out the Yoruba influence here? : LOOK AT BANNER CARRIERS

www.nairaland.com/attachments/564942_chief_chulo_asika_jpg9c7012497f3d529e795539e6981651e3
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 4:26am On Nov 09, 2011
Now this is boring. Have fun.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 4:27am On Nov 09, 2011
Anywaz, I prefer to comment on newer pixs kiss lovely pictures and multicultural influences.  kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 5:04am On Nov 09, 2011
The Yoruba borrowed from others as well so I don't really see the big revelation here  undecided
I swear some people will kick up unnecessary dust for anything.
In this life everything is borrowed and re-purposed for use, the Arabs gave it to the Hausa who gave it to the Yoruba who knows who gave it to Arabs or who inspired them
I don't understand the false and unnecessary superiority some have grin
When someone opened up a thread saying Southerners stole Fulani clothing, some were not swearing in the name of multiculturalism lol now they are singing a different song  kiss

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-529557.0.html

Let's enjoy the thread for what it is no? A celebration of one aspect of Nigerian culture, instead of turning this thread into another "competition to score points"
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:21am On Nov 09, 2011
The benins wear their beads differently from the way Igbos wear theirs. . .take a look at the benin chief and compare it to the onitshas. They use some kind of string to keep it round while the Igbo wear theirs gracefully.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by tpia5: 5:24am On Nov 09, 2011
no biggie.

maybe some of them have yoruba heritage.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by tpia5: 5:25am On Nov 09, 2011
take a look at the benin chief and compare it to the onitshas. They use some kind of string to keep it round while the Igbo wear theirs gracefully.

funny post.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 5:30am On Nov 09, 2011
abeg yorubas kings are not the same as igbos, even d banj sang IGWEEEE IGWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJTrvgfPjGY

WHILE PLAYING THE SONG U CAN SEE WHAT THE ARTIST MEAN, IS NOT EASY TO IGWE IN IGBOLAND cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:37am On Nov 09, 2011
Lakal,its either you have accepted defeat on the claims you made about benin influence or you didnt read my posts!!
As for Ileke Idi she will rather start playing dumb than to accept defeat.
Even your yoruba king went as far as wearing the slave masters HAT so he can feel like he is a king. Obulu ogwu nya elena.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 5:44am On Nov 09, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Lakal,its either you have accepted defeat on the claims you made about benin influence or you didnt read my posts!!
As for Ileke Idi she will rather start playing dumb than to accept defeat.
Even your yoruba king went as far as wearing the slave masters HAT so he can feel like he is a king. Obulu ogwu nya elena.

Sometimes, it's just not worth it.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 5:53am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

The Yoruba borrowed from others as well so I don't really see the big revelation here  undecided
I swear some people will kick up unnecessary dust for anything.
In this life everything is borrowed and re-purposed for use, the Arabs gave it to the Hausa who gave it to the Yoruba who knows who gave it to Arabs or who inspired them
I don't understand the false and unnecessary superiority some have grin
When someone opened up a thread saying Southerners stole Fulani clothing, some were not swearing in the name of multiculturalism lol now they are singing a different song  kiss

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-529557.0.html

Let's enjoy the thread for what it is no? A celebration of one aspect of Nigerian culture, instead of turning this thread into another "competition to score points"

Did we?

LOL.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:00am On Nov 09, 2011
It has been proven to you that Agbada was not invented by the yorubas but you choose to be STUPID!! U better learn from ur yoruba sister Tipia.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 6:09am On Nov 09, 2011

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Aramide Shekinat Celebrates Her 40th Birthday / Oba Of Benin Banishes Chief Ogiugo After Cursing Him (Video) / African Tribeswoman In Supermarket Wearing Goat Skins & Mud For Sunscreen (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.