Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,769 members, 7,806,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples (10651 Views)

Nigeria Airways Plane Being Prepared For Take-Off In Ikeja, Lagos In 1969 (Pic) / Ethiopian Airlines To Start Flights To Enugu Airport / British Airways Overshot Runway At Abuja International Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by omanzo02: 5:18pm On Nov 04, 2011
The Federal Government’s reduction of the frequency of British Airways flights to Lagos, Nigeria from seven to three, has caught the attention of the British government.

The issue has started generating ripples in the aviation sector.

The Federal Government had, through the Minister of Aviation, Stella Adaeze Oduah, announced that it had cut down on the British carrier’s frequency.

Prior to the reduction which took off from Tuesday, November 8, British Airways was operating 14 frequencies into Nigeria through Abuja and Lagos airports.

The reduction may not be unconnected with the allegation by a Nigerian carrier, Arik Air, that the British Civil Aviation Authority (BCAA) denied it of landing rights on its Abuja/London Heathrow route in line with Bilateral Air Services Agreement (BASA) signed by the Nigerian and British governments.

The denial of the landing slot to Arik Air which has forced it to suspend its flights to London/Heathrow from Abuja may have forced government to wield the big stick against British Airways.

Reacting, the British carrier, in a statement said, ”the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has restricted British Airways flights to Lagos from next week. They have cited operational reasons for this imposition. It appears that British Airways is the only airline to be singled out by these restrictions. We are doing all we can to resolve this issue.”

In its defence, British Airways said: “The distribution of the slots at Heathrow is managed through an independent organisation, Airport Coordination Ltd. ACL manages slot allocation in a fair and transparent manner, where all airlines have the opportunity to be involved.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/30744-fgs-reduction-of-ba-flights-to-nigeria-generates-ripples
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by omanzo02: 5:19pm On Nov 04, 2011
Thats a good one.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by djustice: 5:45pm On Nov 04, 2011
Reacting, the British carrier, in a statement said, ”the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has restricted British Airways flights to Lagos from next week. They have cited operational reasons for this imposition. It appears that British Airways is the only airline to be singled out by these restrictions. We are doing all we can to resolve this issue.”

In its defence, British Airways said: “The distribution of the slots at Heathrow is managed through an independent organisation, Airport Coordination Ltd. ACL manages slot allocation in a fair and transparent manner, where all airlines have the opportunity to be involved.”

Who do they think they're fooling with Our own Abuja Airport too is managed through an Independent Organisation that pays no heed to international agreements and cannot be forced by our government to do so, especially when the other party to the agreement flouts it on flimsy excuses. Idiots. They should be banned again joor, so they can lose thousands of jobs like they did when Abacha banned them and 20,000 workers lost their jobs. So, it's Nigerian workers that should lose their jobs so the Brits can keep theirs, Abi

Princess Stella Oduah should REFUSE them audience until they return Arik to Status-Quo-Ante bellum, per the BASA agreement both governments signed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 04, 2011
I said it in the previous post. . . And I will say it again : screw BA!!

We dont need them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by temi777: 6:20pm On Nov 04, 2011
If you live in the UK you will know that the Brits are the kings of saying so much but never really saying anything.
Anytime they mention independent bla bla bla know that that is ojoro. Nonsense. I live here and believe me there is
nothing independent as they have claimed. just watch as they will try and get the "independent" body to do the right thing
awon olojoro
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Basics007: 6:21pm On Nov 04, 2011
If only this had happened to an airline other than Arik they would've elicited some sympathy from me. But Arik? I hate them die!!!
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 04, 2011
I mess for BA!! grin grin grin
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by adora4u1: 6:28pm On Nov 04, 2011
I'm not a fan of Arik Air. But the Federal Government should further reduce BA's slots! Make it once a month!
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by newintexas: 6:46pm On Nov 04, 2011
Good For Them. This is just the first step. Oppressors

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by BetaThings: 7:11pm On Nov 04, 2011
Basics007:

If only this had happened to an airline other than Arik they would've elicited some sympathy from me. But Arik? I hate them die!!!
This has nothing to do with Arik
It is all about BASA and hypocrisy/selfishness of Great[b]?[/b] Britain
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by TenKobo1: 7:25pm On Nov 04, 2011
Punch them harder Dinho, for once i see reason to clap for you, reduce it to once a week.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by RickyRoss1(m): 7:36pm On Nov 04, 2011
PHUCK BRITAIN, FORK BA.
THESE PEOPLE NEEDS TO BE CHASED OUT OF THIS COUNTRY. THEY CAME HERE WITHOUT ANY VISAS, THEY LOOTED OUR ECONOMY, RAPPPPED OUR MOTHERS AND TOOK OUR PEOPLE AS SLAVES. THEY DIDN'T STOP THERE. AFTER USING OUR BROTHERS/SISTERS AS SLAVES IN FOREIGN LANDS THEY DUMPED THEM AND STARTED CALLING THEM BLACK MONKEYS.

TILL DATE BRITAIN STILL COLONIZE OUR COUNTRY WITH THE AID OF OUR OWN GREEDY LEADERS. SHELL, BA AND ALL THEM STINKING BRITISH ESTABLISHMENTS IN NIGERIA SHOULD BE LOOTED AND SHARED TO THE POOR.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Bright2(m): 7:39pm On Nov 04, 2011
If we give this people chance they will recolonize us again,deal with them the more! Will i because my grandmother reincanated back to me i kill her with food? i'll feed her the way they feed children.It pays them right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Kc3000: 7:46pm On Nov 04, 2011
About time we grew a pair. . . in diplomatic rows, an eagerness to retaliate garners respect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by awuf2008: 7:47pm On Nov 04, 2011
tit for tart, that serves the BA right
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Miracleojo(m): 7:52pm On Nov 04, 2011
I think the fg has done the right things to those pusillanimous braty kingdom.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by omo9ja1(m): 7:57pm On Nov 04, 2011
serve good to BA let other airline too enjoy,

but come to think of it Nigeria as a country did not have her own flight using third party airlinesmiley
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 04, 2011
adora4u1:

I'm not a fan of Arik Air. But the Federal Government should further reduce BA's slots! Make it once a month!
lwkmd
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by zone77(m): 8:03pm On Nov 04, 2011
it serves them right,what are the british authorities filling like,do they think nigerian govt ar fools or can be rided upon,nigerian govt totally ban them.am in supportt of them and i love the quick response from our govt.if they give us seven slots vice versa should from ours.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by polokor60(m): 8:06pm On Nov 04, 2011
if u do me i do u man non go vex.1    1 na draw,we dey wait for d winner.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by zone77(m): 8:09pm On Nov 04, 2011
it serves them right,what are the british authorities filling like,do they think nigerian govt ar fools or can be rided upon,nigerian govt totally ban them.am in supportt of them and i love the quick response from our govt.if they give us seven slots vice versa should from ours.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Johnpaul2k2(m): 8:10pm On Nov 04, 2011
GEJ has changed everything for good grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by marleygab(m): 8:28pm On Nov 04, 2011
About time too, these brits have long long since bitten more than they can chew, who do they think they are, are thumbs up to FAAN and the government
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by otokx(m): 8:41pm On Nov 04, 2011
They should limit them to abuja airport only.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Connoisseur(m): 8:45pm On Nov 04, 2011
If only GEJ would stand by his words this time, i am willing to forgive his past actions (inactions inclusive), and give him a clean bill.

But my guess is; we would hear a different tune tomorrow
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by honeric01(m): 8:54pm On Nov 04, 2011
omanzo02:

Prior to the reduction which took off from Tuesday, November 8, British Airways was operating 14 frequencies into Nigeria through Abuja and Lagos airports.

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by babyboy3(m): 9:04pm On Nov 04, 2011
In 2009 when Arik came out BA nearly went belly because Lagos to London is a premium route like London to New York! within one year BA would nearly crack knowing that Arik has Gatwick has an alternative option
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by kabasa77(m): 9:08pm On Nov 04, 2011
Good,this is what our foreign relations should be, That of retaliation grin
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by elegal1(f): 9:24pm On Nov 04, 2011
BA should be banned totally.They treat their customers shabbily.What about their discriminatory pricing? Go to their website and check out the disparity in rates for flights between Lagos-London and Accra-London.I stopped flying BA almost 10 years ago in personal protest. Kudos to Stella Oduah.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Dede1(m): 9:31pm On Nov 04, 2011
When Harold Wilson said, through Gowon, keeping Nigeria one is a task that must be done”, he knew there was a sucker to be marooned.
Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by Konnektions146(m): 9:40pm On Nov 04, 2011
DJTee:

I said it in the previous post. . . And I will say it again : screw BA!!

We dont need them.
Let us see if the so-called independent transparent slot allotment wont change by-fire-by-force, as i said in de other post, the market is here and they need us very badly especially now that festivitiess is around de corner,
otondo people, they think say we no get sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples by jedisco(m): 9:59pm On Nov 04, 2011
welldone gej and his minister

(1) (2) (Reply)

Railway Corporation Generates N80million From Abuja-kaduna Train Service / Abuja Light Rail To Create 20,000 Jobs Says Perm. Sec. / Lagos: Heavy traffic along Alapere-Oworonsoki-Ojota axis as tanker spills fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.