Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry (4012 Views)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? / Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by clementcro(m): 4:55pm On Nov 06, 2011
Good Afternoon Guys, I have HND in Computer Science, but right now, I am thinking of changing career.
I want to cross to the Oil and Gas Industry, but my problem is, I dont know which particular professional oil and gas course to do as a beginner in the sector so that I can have a better edge.

Please I need advice from those who are already in the oil and gas industry, or those who know about the industry.

What oil and gas training or course(professional) would you advice me to go for. thanks
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by yamakuza: 6:01pm On Nov 06, 2011
When you say you want to cross over, do you mean:

1. You want to work for the likes of Shell, Mobil, Chevron?

2. You want to work for servicing firms like SB, Baker Hughes, etc?

3. You want to consult for either, or work with/for firms that consult for either?

As an OND/HND, Shell's SITEP would have been nice for option 1. Mobil has a similar training program too.

Outside that, I think a BSc comes into play for option 1.

For option 2, most foreign companies place more emphasis on skill and know how than certs.

It depends on what role you want to play there. Drafting, welding, drilling, hse, well planning, etc.
Numerous Mud Schools in PH to choose from. PTI is also there.

For option 3, that seems right up your alley. Numerous companies in Lagos, Abuja and PH to start with/from. IT Consulting, i assume?
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by clementcro(m): 6:11pm On Nov 06, 2011
Yamakuza, thanks for your good reply, you seem to be in the industry,

I would like to work for servicing firms like SB, Baker Huges, Brunel Energy

I actually know about PTI, but like i said, i want to professional training, since I already have first degree, it doesnt make sense going to PTI again.

I think I like the drilling, that is the one in my mind, so during my search online, i came across this site http://www.petroed.com/ so I plan to take their
Drilling Operation Course.

But I would like you to still advice me, I am based in lagos, so I am not considering the trainings schools in PH.
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by yamakuza: 6:29pm On Nov 06, 2011
I dont know schools in Lagos, or the take on online ones.

Remember emphasis is on skills and hands-on know how where you are headed.

You might want to go through this thread

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-301670.0.html

and the related topics at the top, while we wait for others to contribute.
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by yamakuza: 1:18am On Nov 07, 2011
I plan to take their Drilling Operation Course.

But I would like you to still advice me, I am based in lagos, so I am not considering the trainings schools in PH.

It just occured to me that it might be impossible/impractical to learn drilling outside an oil producing state.
(Unless we are talking boreholes!)

I assume you've gone through all 12 pages by now, plus the 6 related threads at the top.

Any comments, observations or questions for the house?
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by clementcro(m): 7:35am On Nov 07, 2011
Yes, and thanks, I discovered there is a school in PH called Institute of Petroleum Studies, but the problem is the distance cos I am not thinking of relocating at all,

Although, I am still expecting more advice from people.

Thanks
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by clementcro(m): 9:04am On Nov 07, 2011
Yamakuza, I have finally decided to go for PDMS training, since I have a computer background, I think that would help me.

Thanks bro,
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by yamakuza: 10:43am On Nov 07, 2011
clementcro:

Yamakuza, I have finally decided to go for PDMS training, since I have a computer background, I think that would help me.

Thanks bro,

Glad to hear that. Its a start.
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by Nosyke(m): 11:31am On Nov 10, 2011
yamakuza:

When you say you want to cross over, do you mean:

1. You want to work for the likes of Shell, Mobil, Chevron?

2. You want to work for servicing firms like SB, Baker Hughes, etc?

3. You want to consult for either, or work with/for firms that consult for either?

As an OND/HND, Shell's SITEP would have been nice for option 1. Mobil has a similar training program too.

Outside that, I think a BSc comes into play for option 1.

For option 2, most foreign companies place more emphasis on skill and know how than certs.

It depends on what role you want to play there. Drafting, welding, drilling, hse, well planning, etc.
Numerous Mud Schools in PH to choose from. PTI is also there.

For option 3, that seems right up your alley. Numerous companies in Lagos, Abuja and PH to start with/from. IT Consulting, i assume?

I did Biochemistry, and would want to play an active role in the Bolded-health safety and environment. How do I start?, I am based in Abuja
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by yamakuza: 11:58am On Nov 10, 2011
Nosyke:

I did Biochemistry, and would want to play an active role in the Bolded-health safety and environment. How do I start?, I am based in Abuja

Try these :

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-190295.0.html

www.nispnigeria.org/abjbranch.php
Re: I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry by Nosyke(m): 12:35pm On Nov 10, 2011

(1) (Reply)

The Most Common Causes Of Fatal Forklift Accidents / Prospect Of Being A Zoologist / Physics Vs Mechanical Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.