Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) (13964 Views)

10 Things Fashola Should Do To Solve Housing Problem / Fashola Becomes Minister For Power, Housing And Works: A New Dawn! / photo: Nigerian Voters Usin Stones And Bottles To Keep Space Ahead Of Votin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by aljharem3: 2:25am On Nov 07, 2011
North Goes Green With Architectural Brilliance By Solving Housing Problem (pic)

SABON YELWA  (AFP) – The idea undoubtedly seemed strange at first: take the plastic water bottles that litter Nigeria’s roads, canals and gutters and allow people to live inside them.

Not literally, but almost.

What a group of activists did was come up with a plan to build a house using those bottles, providing what they say is an environmentally smart strategy of chipping away at a housing shortage in Africa’s most populous nation.

With the prototype near the northern Nigerian city of Kaduna now well underway, the group wants to extend its efforts and build more, aiming to unleash what they say is some long bottled-up potential.

Unconvinced? Supporters say those yet to see the structure on the outskirts of the village of Sabon Yelwa can throw stones if they want to. This house is being built to last.

“This is the first house in Africa built from bottles, which could go a long way in solving Nigeria’s huge housing need and cleaning the badly polluted environment,” project initiator Christopher Vassiliu said during a tour of the building.

Sitting on 58-square metres (624-square feet), the two-bedroom bungalow looks like an ordinary home, but it differs in many ways. When completed, the house whose construction started in June will be used to train masons in building such structures.

It is made from capped, sand-filled plastic bottles, each weighing three kilogrammes, or nearly two pounds.

The bottles are stacked into layers and bonded together by mud and cement, with an intricate network of strings holding each bottle by its neck, providing extra support to the structure.

Bottle caps of various colours protrude from the cement-plastered walls, giving them a unique look. Those behind the project claim the sand-filled bottles are stronger than ordinary cinder blocks.

“The structure has the added advantage of being fire proof, bullet proof and earthquake resistant, with the interior maintaining a constant temperature of 18 degrees C (64 degrees F) which is good for tropical climate,” Yahaya Ahmad, the project coordinator said.

– Three million bottles daily –

With the right adjustments to the supporting pillars the building can be as high as three stories, but can go no higher due to the weight of the sand-filled bottles, Ahmad said.

Situated amidst an expansive irrigation farm, the building consists of a rotunda-shaped living room which connects to the interior via a short corridor.

Two rooms stand opposite with a bathroom and a toilet between them. A side door leads to an open courtyard and the kitchen.

The house is also designed to produce zero carbon emissions as it will be wholly powered by solar panels and methane gas from recycled human and animal waste.

“Nigeria has a serious waste and energy problem, and this project is one small step towards making positive changes,” said Katrin Macmillan, a British environmental activist involved in the project.

“Plastic bottles take hundreds of years to bio-degrade in landfills.”

Construction, which has reached 70 percent completion, is estimated to require 14,000 bottles. Huge piles of empty plastic bottles litter the site from donations from embassies, hotels and restaurants.

Environmental experts say Nigeria, a country of some 160 million, throws out about three million plastic bottles daily.

The country is also grappling with a deficit of 16 million housing units that requires a staggering 45 trillion naira ($300 billion) to meet, according to Nigeria’s Federal Mortgage Bank.

Plastic houses are cheap to construct as it costs a quarter of the money required to build a conventional house, said Vassiliu, a Greek national who has been working in Nigeria as a water drilling engineer for 30 years.

The project is to cost two million naira ($12,700), Vassiliu said.

A second plastic bottle project is due to commence in January at a primary school in need of more classrooms in the town of Suleja near Nigeria’s capital Abuja.

“The project would take 200,000 bottles out of landfills into education”, said Macmillan.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/plastic-bottles-solve-nigerias-housing-problem-042708558.html
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by aljharem3: 2:26am On Nov 07, 2011
Now would the government nurture this talent ?

This mean cheap houses for the very very poor and also cleaning of the environment.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdVaH7jV_Xvq_6Z59YpLC9MuymSRL3hVPqLtywQ-QD-H963AodlQ[/img]
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by aljharem3: 2:27am On Nov 07, 2011
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Areosapien(f): 2:53am On Nov 07, 2011
Hahaaa! Too creative! These remind me of the many interlocking fences found in many middleclass South African houses. My fear, shaa, should one bottle fall off from the middle ehn? Oh boy, kasala go SCATTER-BURST! Still, as an Engineer (who still studied structure), I say the possibilities are quite minimal, as the longitudinally cohesive forces exerted by the other strategically placed bottles cancel out any chances of independent motion within any of the bottles in the lattice.
alj_harem:

Now would the government nurture this talent ?

This mean cheap houses for the very very poor and also cleaning of the environment.

The same government that killed Tinapa and its multi-million dollar potentials? You're definitely joking. grin
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Nobody: 2:55am On Nov 07, 2011
I saw this online, I'm still yet to find anything brilliant about it.

Death contraption, if you ask me.

Lacks security, safety, convenience, taste, etc.  For example, na who go cook for there? How long will it take arm robbers to enter?

Awom mallams, getting an idea of what an Arewa public will be like. Glass bottle homes, rubberband homes, etc.

Lawd have mercy!! Plz change the topic title.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by aljharem3: 2:58am On Nov 07, 2011
Areosapien:

Hahaaa! Too creative! These remind me of the many interlocking fences found in many middleclass South African houses. [b]My fear, shaa, should one bottle fall off from the middle ehn? Oh boy, kasala go SCATTER-BURST! [/b]Still, as an Engineer (who still studied structure), I say the possibilities are quite minimal, as the longitudinally cohesive forces exerted by the other strategically placed bottles cancel out any chances of independent motion within any of the bottles in the lattice.

The same government that killed Tinapa and its multi-million dollar potentials? You're definitely joking. grin

Remember cements are used to hold the structure together. Kasala no fit burst

It should even be stronger than block houses. given that a circle/ cylinder is more structural stable/stronger than a square/block
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by aljharem3: 3:02am On Nov 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Lacks security, safety, convenience, taste, etc.  For example, na who go cook for there? How long will it take arm robbers to enter?

Awom mallams, getting an idea of what an Arewa public will be like. Glass bottle homes, rubberband homes, etc.

what are you talking about

what do u mean by robbers,

there are villages, secularity villages in the north with vest expanse of land surrounding the settlement. Who would go out to rob there ?

These design was Never meant for the rich or middle-class but for the poor that are homeless.

there is no point sleeping on the street when you can have somehting like this
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:06am On Nov 07, 2011
alj_harem:

what are you talking about

what do u mean by robbers,

there are villages, secularity villages in the north with vest expanse of land surrounding the settlement. Who would go out to rob there ?

These design was Never meant for the rich or middle-class but for the poor that are homeless.

there is no point sleeping on the street when you can have somehting like this

You will be okay.

Maybe you'll be the next person to invent bottle cap sandals.

When you're ready to buy a real house, you'll understand.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Obiagu1(m): 3:06am On Nov 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

LMAO!

You wicked oo!
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:07am On Nov 07, 2011
Well better this than their original nature of killing innocent people.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by aljharem3: 3:08am On Nov 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You will be okay.

I don't understand,

Would an homeless person prefer to sleep on the street or go for one of these ?
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by igbo2011(m): 3:09am On Nov 07, 2011
Fashola wants togive the poor housing.  This can be a great way to o it and give many people jobs as well.  1 billion naira for 500 homes would be good.  This is environmentally friendly, gives people jobs, less crime, and somebody gets a place to live.  All governors should do this.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Obiagu1(m): 3:09am On Nov 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You will be okay.

@ alhaji, you've got a challenge here. Maybe this project will keep you off NL for a month   cool
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Obiagu1(m): 3:11am On Nov 07, 2011
igbo2011:

Fashola wants togive the poor housing.  This can be a great way to o it and give many people jobs as well.  1 billion naira for 500 homes would be good.  This is environmentally friendly, gives people jobs, less crime, and somebody gets a place to live.  All governors should do this.

Like WTF

How do you cook in a plastic home or you want to take style and wipe out all the homeless?
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by aljharem3: 3:15am On Nov 07, 2011
Obiagu1:

Like WTF

How do you cook in a plastic home or you want to take style and wipe out all the homeless?

nwa Igbo, how are you thinking sef

is it everyone that cooks in the house ?

Even in anambra nnewi I have seen families cook outside there homes at night, same in Lagos and same in the north

Must we cook in the house.

You people have spent too much time in Obodo america

Morover it is not for luxury people but for the desperate angry
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:18am On Nov 07, 2011
^^^ Even cooking near that bottled construction becomes dangerous overtime.
How can a sane person "okay" this?

I shiver just thinking about winter/ harmattan/ rainy season and hot hot summer time in Nigeria.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Obiagu1(m): 3:18am On Nov 07, 2011
alj_harem:

nwa Igbo, how are you thinking sef

is it everyone that cooks in the house ?

Even in anambra nnewi I have seen families cook outside there homes at night, same in Lagos and same in the north

Must we cook in the house.

You people have spent too much time in Obodo america

Plastic is plastic my friend!
It's highly flammable! Moreover, why waste energy sand filling the bottles when you can easily create a mould that will make bricks of the same shape?
The project doesn't make sense.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by aljharem3: 3:25am On Nov 07, 2011
Obiagu1:

Plastic is plastic my friend!
It's highly flammable! Moreover, why waste energy sand filling the bottles when you can easily create a mould that will make bricks of the same shape?
The project doesn't make sense.

shocked shocked see logic

i would post tomorrow
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by ebere1712: 7:22am On Nov 07, 2011
First of all kudos to the people. At least they are not doing nothing. However any talks of commercializing this is a joke.
1) Highly flammable plastics is a disaster not just to the inhabitants and builders but also the communities around them
2) Plastic bottle is not a sustainable building material. Yeah it would help rid the streets of plastic bottle litters, but we would eventually run out.
3) How long would structures made with plastic bottle last. We need to research that first
4) Can this even withstand the smallest natural disaster. I highly doubt it.
5) I cant even believe they are letting him build that house. It is a disaster in the making.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by dustydee: 8:25am On Nov 07, 2011
wow!good idea. for those criticizing how many novel ideas have you come up with?
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 07, 2011
Good dream, but safety standards have been neglected.

I think people should still concentrate on melting this plastic bottles to mould outdoor chairs where people can sit in parks or along the roads.

This house building stuff is risky.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by stiyke(m): 10:32am On Nov 07, 2011
When i saw the pics i thought it was house for kids in kids playground. I loved the idea, only to read its homes made for ppl to actually live in?? This is wicked, its death not only that you cant cook in it, pple its meant for are known to use kerosene lamps, i cant imagine someone suggesting that even slaves should live in that death trap.

Anyways its a good idea if they will occupy their time with building this trap for themselves and will take their minds off killing innocent ppl.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I would not be so quick to disparage this idea.
Certainly not on in a nation where less than 30% actually own a home.
Inspiring Construction with Plastic Bottles
http://abetterplace.blogs.ie/2010/01/22/inspiring-construction-with-plastic-bottles/

House Construction with Plastic Bottles by Samarpan Foundation
[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPxXH7rCSHQ?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 07, 2011
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 07, 2011
mbatuku2:

Good dream, but safety standards have been neglected.

I think people should still concentrate on melting this plastic bottles to mould outdoor chairs where people can sit in parks or along the roads.

This house building stuff is risky.

“The structure has the added advantage of being fire proof, bullet proof and earthquake resistant, with the interior maintaining a constant temperature of 18 degrees C (64 degrees F) which is good for tropical climate,” Yahaya Ahmad, the project coordinator said.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by PointB: 12:07pm On Nov 07, 2011
Kudos, anything that will take their minds off senseless killings is most welcome. We'll ship bottles from the south if that'll help cos sharia will limit the availability of precious raw material for this project in the north- bottles.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Funkymallam(m): 12:31pm On Nov 07, 2011
I doubt if actually ppl read tru d article b4 commenting.
I suggest u all read again lipsrsealed
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by abiamahart: 5:11pm On Nov 07, 2011
@Ike-idi and others;
However way you think, thier idea is still commendable. It shows some people have their thinking cap on. If i understand the write up correctly this project is an Eco-friendly project by putting the waste you generate to positive use.

I see some top brand used plastics among the lot. Guys forward the pix of your efforts to their marketing managers they sure will want to share in your glory and even throw in some cash.

I just completed a solar project for a boarding school in Enugu state and the sponsors were TOTAL, Phillips and Victron Energy

Lets all contribute our own little bit in saving our planet by improving the environment.
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by wassolldas: 5:27pm On Nov 07, 2011
10 green bottles standing on the wall,
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by namfav(m): 5:30pm On Nov 07, 2011
if it were westerners people here would be drolling, typical nigerian mentality to put northerners down
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by Slimchase(m): 5:33pm On Nov 07, 2011
Nawa ooo !!
Datz Comendable shaa !!
NECESITY they say is d Mother of INVENTION !
Q.E.D !
I REST MY CASE !
Re: Using Plastic Bottles To Solve The North's Housing Problem (Pictures) by UyiIredia(m): 5:36pm On Nov 07, 2011
that's quite innovative. i'd say it should be implemented across the federation (after feasibility tests have been undertaken). It just might prove to reduce the waste around.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja Rally Divides Pro-buhari Group / Keyamo To Okowa: Tinubu Can Delegate Any Responsibility (Security) To Shettima / Tinubu Is Real Unifier, Keyamo Mocks Atiku, PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.