Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,796 members, 7,806,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? (24074 Views)

Diary Of A Jehovah's Witness / Jehovah's Witness Dies After Rejecting Blood Transfusion / Micheal Jacksons Life As A Jehovah's Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 5:41pm On Nov 10, 2011
Jah Man:

Anyone arguing about JW has so much time to waste.
I did that as an undergraduate and they'll never accept defeat.
Sure a 5-year old knowing the bible better? Ofcourse even their elders use the same trick provided in their special bible version to shine.For every controversial verse of the scriptures,the footnote points them to the next place to read.LWKMD! I remembered one of the last arguments I had with them way back in univ,after we read any portion(be it on trinity,heaven,divinity of Jesus,holy communion,hell,rapture,etc),I will be the one to tell them where next to open cos I have used their bible alot.

Such arguments won't benefit anyone.The OP needs to be closer to God and I love 'shushu's' comments.For now let our advice stick to how to help him get closer to God.
When it's time to argue if JWs are even christians,we can stick on such topics.

@OP take shushu's advice.If you choose to join any church, Anglican,Catholic,RCCG,Winners,Assemblies,Deeper Life,etc.Please stick to the Berean style as advised by someone.Go back and study the scriptures for whatever you are taught in the church to ascertain how true they are.
I wish you God's grace.
How do we know you are not the one "refusing to accept defeat"
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 6:37pm On Nov 10, 2011
Final Submission: Part 2
i can not advice anyone not to belöng to any church. The reason is that believers are the most discriminating social group in Nigeria. If you don't join them they will label you SATAN! In the workplace if you refuse to join their prayers you will be isolated. This particular practice is rampant among J-SHARP SHARP, RCCG, MOF, TREM, CHOSEN, THE APOSTOLIC and dozens of so called "bible believing church(es)" Many of this churches are too greedy to settle down to follow the lord. If you join them they will turn into a chaser of church titles.

Any church that confesses that Jesus came to the earth as flesh and that only through him is salvation possible - is in my humble submission - worthy of fellowship!!
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by chrisj2000(m): 8:25pm On Nov 10, 2011
say it louder
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2011
chrisj2000:

Your mistake is becoming a Christian in the first place. Everyone knows that all religions are built on Hypothesis and they all worship imaginary god. There is a new forum in nairaland where you can now register to become a member of atheist organization.

you mean following new ideas on agnostism?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by chrisj2000(m): 7:06am On Nov 11, 2011
louder pls
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 11, 2011
for those who says trinity teaching is not in the bible have u not read math. 28:19. Go ye there4 and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father and of the son, and of the holy ghost. Trinity teaching according 2 my church does not equate God, jesus n the holy spirit but that they are three working as one 4 the salvation of mankind. The prblem with many christian today is the lack of holy spirit to interprete the bible to them. Have u not read where jesus said my father n i are one John 10:30, john cp 1 in the begining was the world, If u have the spirit it is easy to know hw they all work true the bible God spoke through the prophets in the old testament n jesus has his work in the gospel while holy spirit work in the books of paul. The most funny thing about witness is their lack of beileve in the existence of hell saying it is not bible teaching how can u claim to know the bible why did jesus came to die 4 the world interpreting the bible as if it is just a novel God help u
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by chrisj2000(m): 9:21am On Nov 11, 2011
i think you should have the right answer
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 12:20pm On Nov 11, 2011
chrisj2000:

We have no issues with three in one but remember that your bible says that lucifer was once an angel. That means he was once a part of god, question is; how did part of god disobey god and how did god cast part of him out?
We are sick of proving god from written words. Prove your omnipotent god through prayer. Please pray to him to wipe out malaria from Africa, if he does it we apologize to you for ever doubting him. If he fails to do it you burn your bible and apologize to atheists.

YEEPARIPA! GBAAAAAAAMMMMMMM
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2011
TrueSeeker:

Jesus did the preaching, his disciples were under obligation to do same.

Right. But the problem, I think, is that you people equate “preaching” with “house to house preaching”. In your minds, anyone preaching house to house is preaching; anyone not doing so, even if using other methods of preaching, is not. This stance is strange, particularly when you consider the fact that there is no shred of evidence that house to house is a more effective method of preaching than other methods. But that is by the way. If you read your write-up again you will find that you did not actually show from Bible that Jesus commanded anyone to preach from house to house. Whereas I can show you that Jesus forbade house to house preaching without mincing words.
John 10:6-8 (NIV)
5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 If someone who promotes peace is there, your peace will rest on them; if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

Since Jesus did not want his followers to preach from house to house, why did he say in the earlier verse “when entering into a house, greet”? Even a cursory reading will show there is no contradiction. Since there was preaching from town to town and village to village, it was inevitable that houses would be entered. In the olden days when you got to a town as a stranger, it was not uncommon to find the house of a village head, priest, anyone with some authority, or anyone who is hospitable. We have records of Jesus in people’s houses – Martha and Mary, Nicodemus, Peter’s mother-in-law, etc – even though he never preached from house to house.

Some churches today declare a crusade to which people who want to hear the message are invited. The early missionaries that came to Africa used to stay in one place – the chief’s house, the market square, etc - to which anyone interested would come and listen to their message. This is more line with the tradition of Jesus and the apostles. This was what Jesus did at the Mount of Olives, at the house of Nicodemus and other places.

You wrote this:
TrueSeeker:
Jesus himself did the preaching work
You did not add “from house to house”. Why? Because Jesus never preached from house to house! We have records of him preaching at the mount of Olives, at Martha’s house, to the woman at the well, but not from house to house.

The apostles, in line with Jesus’ clear directives, did not preach from house to house. They would have been going against Jesus’ directives if they did. At least, there is no evidence that they did.

And there is no reason to conclude from that Paul knocked door to door. Let us look at the verse you cited:
Acts 20:17-20 (NIV)
17 From Miletus, Paul sent to Ephesus for the elders of the church. 18 When they arrived, he said to them: “You know how I lived the whole time I was with you, from the first day I came into the province of Asia. 19 I served the Lord with great humility and with tears and in the midst of severe testing by the plots of my Jewish opponents. 20 You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. 21 I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

That verse does not talk about visiting strangers. It talks about visiting fellow believers in their houses. It is a Christian talking to other Christians, and it appears a deliberate misreading for anyone to cite it in support of house to house to preaching. In the first century, there was a tradition of visiting fellow Christians to encourage them and Paul did this. In Lagos, Pastor Itua Ighodalo when he was at the Christchurch parish of the RCCG used to visit his parishioners at home to teach and encourage them. This was what Paul did and spoke of here.

The only biblical ground for house to house preaching, then, is Acts 5:41-42. But that is only when you do a surface reading. Comparing scripture with scripture (apologies to HisChild) you find that the disciples did not preach from house to house. And if you read verse 25 of that chapter you find that when the apostles were arrested in that instance, they were preaching, not from house to house, but at the temple courts.

Edit
The records we have of Jesus at peoples' houses were appointed visits. Martha and Mary were friends. Nicodemus' was by appointment.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 11:41am On Nov 12, 2011
@MyJoe

Right. But the problem, I think, is that you people equate “preaching” with “house to house preaching”. In your minds, anyone preaching house to house is preaching; anyone not doing so, even if using other methods of preaching, is not.
I don't think JWs officially or unofficially say this. It is your own ignorant conclusion. I have not come across any such equation. they only belive it is an effective modern method , having tried public preaching, radio preaching etc. i guess you either don't know this or you ignore it.

This stance is strange, particularly when you consider the fact that there is no shred of evidence that house to house is a more effective method of preaching than other methods. But that is by the way. If you read your write-up again you will find that you did not actually show from Bible that Jesus commanded anyone to preach from house to house. Whereas I can show you that Jesus forbade house to house preaching without mincing words.

You ignore the shreds of evidence and turn to say it is not there. Jesus encouraged his disciples to enter into houses and linger there.

John 10:6-8 (NIV)
5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 If someone who promotes peace is there, your peace will rest on them; if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house

Your quote does not exist in John 10: 6-8 try another scripture verse!

Whereas I can show you that Jesus forbade house to house preaching without mincing words.  5.“When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 If someone who promotes peace is there, your peace will rest on them; if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house

This is a typical example of turning the bible upside down! The lord says enter into the house. Ordinary man like you say Jesus hates it, because you fail to pray for the spirit of anointing as you read it. hatred of one group of Christians has covered your eyes from being objective.

"Do not move around from house to house"

Does this mean don't PREACH from house to house? How will they enter one house in the first place if that was the meaning? PRAY for interpretation. I have.

Even a cursory reading will show there is no contradiction. Since there was preaching from town to town and village to village, it was inevitable that houses would be entered. In the olden days when you got to a town as a stranger, it was not uncommon to find the house of a village head, priest, anyone with some authority, or anyone who is hospitable.

Empty philosophy don't you think.

Some churches today declare a crusade to which people who want to hear the message are invited. The early missionaries that came to Africa used to stay in one place – the chief’s house, the market square, etc - to which anyone interested would come and listen to their message. This is more line with the tradition of Jesus and the apostles

The missionaries never followed Jesus. they were slave merchants and businessmen. Crusades has its place if done NOT solely to attract church attendance. Until you personalize evangelism people will just hear you and many will not take action. it is an ineffective way of conversion from the heart. JWs score a high point on that. other Churches send their members to study their methods by inviting them in for a discussion. personally I detest that woman with loudspeaker repeating the same sermon when I want to lay back in bed on Saturday morning!

And there is no reason to conclude from that Paul knocked door to door. Let us look at the verse you cited:
Acts 20:17-20 (NIV)
17 From Miletus, Paul sent to Ephesus for the elders of the church. 18 When they arrived, he said to them: “You know how I lived the whole time I was with you, from the first day I came into the province of Asia. 19 I served the Lord with great humility and with tears and in the midst of severe testing by the plots of my Jewish opponents. 20 You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. 21 I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus

That verse does not talk about visiting strangers. It talks about visiting fellow believers in their houses.

FALSE!!!!!
1. The verse is a report of ALL his activities.
2. the brethren were initially non believers, Jewish proselytes or Greeks.
they later became believers. so paul gave a summary of that progress.
3. He "declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus" In your own church does your pastors and members continue to need this basic teachings? HABA
PRAY ON THIS BELIEVE ME!
4. Also is it an issue to KNOCK ON DOORS!

"It is a Christian talking to other Christians, and it appears a deliberate misreading for anyone to cite it in support of house to house to preaching. In the first century, there was a tradition of visiting fellow Christians to encourage them and Paul did this. In Lagos, Pastor Itua Ighodalo when he was at the Christchurch parish of the RCCG used to visit his parishioners at home to teach and encourage them"

This is NOT what Paul meant. What you mentioned above is "the visitation of the converted brethren for encouragement" and is different from general preaching to win souls and to correct the errors of those who are perishing and snatch them from the fire of eternal destruction.

Over to you.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 3:58pm On Nov 14, 2011
*Sighs*

I ought to ask you the following questions and leave the matter.
Did Jesus preach from house to house?
Did Jesus ask anyone to preach from house to house?
Did Jesus leave the house of Nicodemus and knock on the next door?

But I will venture further, since I am unlikely to respond to your next post.

quest55:

I don't think JWs officially or unofficially say this. It is your own ignorant conclusion. I have not come across any such equation. they only belive it is an effective modern method , having tried public preaching, radio preaching etc. i guess you either don't know this or you ignore it[/b].
I was pursuing your line of thinking, not what you say “officially or unofficially”. Read what TrueSeeker (who I have a lot of respect for for his calmness and sincerity) wrote and my response to it again. And I was not expressing an opinion as to whether house to house preaching is good or bad, effective or infective. I was pointing out that asserting that Jesus or the apostles preached house to house or instructed anyone to preach house to house is one bold argument that cannot be sustained. It is an error. Note, not preaching at a house or houses, but preaching from house to house, knocking from door to door.

If you had a "traditional" wedding at Isuikwuato village and someone who had a “white” wedding keeps telling you to go get married, would you not conclude that to his mind you are not married?

This is from the Awake of April 22, 1970:
The true religion can further be identified by its preaching of God’s kingdom. Jesus Christ also set the example in bearing this fruitage, for he journeyed “from city to city and from village to village, preaching and declaring the good news of the kingdom of God.” (Luke 8:1) And his first-century followers imitated him, calling with the Kingdom message “from house to house.”—Acts 20:20, 25.
Who, then, are taking the Kingdom message to the homes of the people today, and doing it in the way Jesus and his apostles did? When you see a minister calling from house to house and you hear him talk about God’s kingdom as mankind’s true hope, with what religion do you usually associate him?

Since the ”true religion” (Jehovah’s Witnesses), to your minds, can be identified by its preaching, is there a chance that the “false religions” are also preaching?

And, oh yes, since you brought it up, the Witnesses do “officially and unofficially” say they are the only ones preaching. This is from The Watchtower of June 1, 1994:
An important way in which we show love for our fellowmen is by witnessing to them about God’s Kingdom. Only one group of people is doing this work that Jesus foretold. (Mark 13:10) These are Jehovah’s Witnesses. 

I can cite more than 20 instances of the above claim from your publications. How about you take your ignorant statement and the guessing one and flip them around at yourself?  smiley

quest55:
You ignore the shreds of evidence and turn to say it is not there.
There is no shred of evidence that house to house is a more effective method of preaching than other methods. If there is, bring it forth. On the contrary, evidence abounds that it is not.

quest55:
Jesus encouraged his disciples to enter into houses and linger there.
Yes, but what did he say about going house to house? Did he (i) say "do it", (ii) keep silent on it, or (iii) say "don't do it"? But I can see you are quite resourceful. So, perhaps, you can find us a way to make "linger in a house" mean "move from house to house".

quest55:
Your quote does not exist in John 10: 6-8 try another scripture verse!
It exists in the Bible. Luke, not John. Were you unaware of that, was just being devious, or this is your idea of being clever?

quest55:
This is a typical example of turning the bible upside down! The lord says enter into the house. Ordinary man like you say Jesus hates it, because you fail to pray for the spirit of anointing as you read it. hatred of one group of Christians has covered your eyes from being objective.
Yes, Jesus says enter into the house. Did you miss where I acknowledged that and offered a simple enough explanation to dismiss what some sincere folks from the house to house tradition might see as a contradiction? Tell me, sir, did Jesus leave the HOUSE of Nicodemus and knock on the next door? Did he leave the house of Mary and Martha and go to the next house? Did he meet and call the twelve while preaching house to house? Indeed, is there a single record of Jesus preaching house to house?

If you think before typing and know the meaning of the word “objective”, please highlight general and specific examples from anything I have typed here remotely indicative of any hatred for your group. Thank you.

quest55:
"Do not move around from house to house"

Does this mean don't PREACH from house to house? How will they enter one house in the first place if that was the meaning? PRAY for interpretation. I have.
So to your mind sending someone out to PREACH and telling him “do not move around from house to house” does not mean “do not PREACH around from house to house”. Tell us what it means, please. And permit me to say that if all you got from your prayers is that “Do not move around from house to house” means “preach from house to house, didn’t you see that in the previous verse?” you need to stop what you have been drinking or change that prayer mat of yours or both.

quest55:
Empty philosophy don't you think.
No. But if you say so, show how it is empty, please. It is the only explanation offered so far, so as long as you have not offered a counter explanation, it stands. You know, I can pick on any post around here and call it empty. But I would have placed upon myself the burden of demonstrating such emptiness. And, of course, your “empty philosophy” quip is not original – it’s an old cliché from your clan. Meaning what? Meaning that you have failed to offer any response that is minimally cerebral or sensible to my explanation.

quest55:
The missionaries never followed Jesus. they were slave merchants and businessmen. Crusades has its place if done NOT solely to attract church attendance.
You don’t think much of the missionaries? Neither do I. But that is another topic, please. I was making a comparison of preaching methods not talking about Witnesses are good people or missionaries were slave traders. Or do you deny that the missionaries won millions of our people over to the churches? If you want to talk about the quality of Christians they created or evaluate modern day Christianity in general, that would be an interesting topic. Open a thread. I will be reading the thread and may even participate in it.

quest55:
Until you personalize evangelism people will just hear you and many will not take action. it is an ineffective way of conversion from the heart.
Stay in one place – mountain, HOUSE, synagogue, under the udala tree, bank of River Osun, inside a molue, beside Iya Wosila's buka, anywhere hospitable - and attract a crowd. That is how Jesus preached. How, in your esteemed opinion, does preaching that way preclude personalization? When he preached to crowds at the Mount of Olives, or the house of Nicodemus, people were not forbidden to ask questions. He gained 120 disciples besides many others who put faith in him. When church people preach through crusades today, they distribute tracts and collect phone numbers for follow up and personal evangelism with people who had already demonstrated interest.

quest55:
JWs score a high point on that. other Churches send their members to study their methods by inviting them in for a discussion. personally I detest that woman with loudspeaker repeating the same sermon when I want to lay back in bed on Saturday morning!
So do I. But you do have a mirror, don’t you? Maybe you were born a JW and so have never been at the receiving end of having someone knock on your door when all you want to do on a Sunday afternoon is sleep. Do you know how aggravating some find the house to house to preaching? And there are many, perhaps most people, who, while trying to observe a rest, would pick a woman droning on impersonally in the streets with a public address system over a knock on the door by two folks bringing the same message to try to recruit them and their kids.

quest55:
FALSE!!!!!
1. The verse is a report of ALL his activities.
2. the brethren were initially non believers, Jewish proselytes or Greeks.
they later became believers. so paul gave a summary of that progress.
3. He "declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus" In your own church does your pastors and members continue to need this basic teachings? HABA
PRAY ON THIS BELIEVE ME!
4. Also is it an issue to KNOCK ON DOORS!

Do you admit that Paul was in that verse talking to fellow Christians? Yours is a case of finding an explanation that fits your beliefs – or rather, the beliefs dictated to you.

quest55:
This is NOT what Paul meant. What you mentioned above is "the visitation of the converted brethren for encouragement" and is different from general preaching to win souls and to correct the errors of those who are perishing and snatch them from the fire of eternal destruction.

Yes. It’s different. Where have I said it isn’t? What I said is that Paul was in that verse talking to “the converted brethren” about his relationship with them. It’s a shame we have no verse where he boasted about having preached house to house to strangers in Antioch or to unbelievers in Thessalonica.

quest55:
Over to you.
If you respond like what you did above next time, sir, forget about handing over to me. Thank you.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by TrueSeeker(m): 8:29pm On Nov 14, 2011
MyJoe:

Right. But the problem, I think, is that you people equate “preaching” with “house to house preaching”. In your minds, anyone preaching house to house is preaching; anyone not doing so, even if using other methods of preaching, is not. This stance is strange, particularly when you consider the fact that there is no shred of evidence that house to house is a more effective method of preaching than other methods. But that is by the way. If you read your write-up again you will find that you did not actually show from Bible that Jesus commanded anyone to preach from house to house. Whereas I can show you that Jesus forbade house to house preaching without mincing words.
[b]Luke [/b]10:6-8 (NIV) (Substitution mine)
5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 If someone who promotes peace is there, your peace will rest on them; if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

Since Jesus did not want his followers to preach from house to house, why did he say in the earlier verse “when entering into a house, greet”? Even a cursory reading will show there is no contradiction. Since there was preaching from town to town and village to village, it was inevitable that houses would be entered. In the olden days when you got to a town as a stranger, it was not uncommon to find the house of a village head, priest, anyone with some authority, or anyone who is hospitable. We have records of Jesus in people’s houses – Martha and Mary, Nicodemus, Peter’s mother-in-law, etc – even though he never preached from house to house.

I think you get concluding part of the interpretation wrong. Ask yourself what will Jesus disciples do if they were not accepted in the first house they knock? They will move to the next house. Is that not house to house preaching? Mind you Jesus has asked them to find the deserving one in the city or the town or village they enter. They will continuing searching for the deserving one in the village, town or city in each of the houses?

What then did Jesus meant by saying to them not be “transferring from house to house.”?

It may be noted that Jesus always imparted spiritual blessings when enjoying the hospitality of his host. (Lu 5:27-39; 19:1-cool For a similar reason he told his disciples whom he sent out that when they reached a town, they should stay in the home where hospitality was extended them and not be “transferring from house to house.” They should not be thus seeking a place where the householder could provide them with more comfort, entertainment, or material things.—Lu 10:1-7; Mr 6:7-11
Jesus is telling his disciples that they should not be transferring base in the village, town or city. They should stayed with the person that first show hospitality to them. That does not meant they will stop they preaching work their, but from their new house they can go  round the town to carry out Jesus commandment, namely to preach God's Kingdom.
(Matthew 10:11) 11 “Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by free123: 11:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
What happened to the prophecies of 1914, 1925, 1975 etc? Prophesying falsely is not a hallmark of christianity. What about the present belief that Jehovah witnesses hold now? Since they believe that their light keeps getting brighter, when will d light be brightest? What would you do if you woke up and heard ur present belief had been changed by watch tower? organization?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by free123: 11:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
What happened to the prophecies of 1914, 1925, 1975 etc? Prophesying falsely is not a hallmark of christianity. What about the present belief that Jehovah witnesses hold now? Since they believe that their light keeps getting brighter, when will d light be brightest? What would you do if you woke up and heard ur present belief had been changed by watch tower? organization?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2011
TrueSeeker:

I think you get concluding part of the interpretation wrong. Ask yourself what will Jesus disciples do if they were not accepted in the first house they knock? They will move to the next house.
That is a likely scenario. They enter a city and finding no aggreable venue decide to enter the house of a complete stranger. But they are not well received, so they try another house. Yes, a likely scenario. But flip the question and ask yourself: what will Jesus disciples do if they were accepted in the first house they knocked? They will stay there and preach to the crowds. Remember Jesus at the house of Nicodemus.

TrueSeeker:
Is that not house to house preaching?
No. Certainly not as enunciated by the JW.

TrueSeeker:
Mind you Jesus has asked them to find the deserving one in the city or the town or village they enter. They will continuing searching for the deserving one in the village, town or city in each of the houses?

What then did Jesus meant by saying to them not be “transferring from house to house.”?

It may be noted that Jesus always imparted spiritual blessings when enjoying the hospitality of his host. (Lu 5:27-39; 19:1-cool For a similar reason he told his disciples whom he sent out that when they reached a town, they should stay in the home where hospitality was extended them and not be “transferring from house to house.” They should not be thus seeking a place where the householder could provide them with more comfort, entertainment, or material things.—Lu 10:1-7; Mr 6:7-11

Finally, we have a considered response to “Do not be transferring from house to house.” (NWT) I observe it's lifted verbatim from page 1151 of Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 1. I would have preferred your own response, but Witnesses appear to have this thing about letting the leadership of the church think for them. Those who have bought a Brooklyn bridge, thinking it’s a bridge to God, believe that God speaks through some men in Brooklyn, have absolute faith in these men’s interpretation of the Bible, God and the cosmos, and believe that whatever they pronounce right is right, and whatever they pronounce wrong wrong. But that’s another matter and is hardly unique to the JW, so no wahala.

TrueSeeker:
Jesus is telling his disciples that they should not be transferring base in the village, town or city. They should stayed with the person that first show hospitality to them. That does not meant they will stop they preaching work their, but from their new house they can go  round the town to carry out Jesus commandment, namely to preach God's Kingdom.
Nowhere does it imply that they were to go around. They were to stay in one place. That is what the scripture text says. Not only did it say stay there, it says, “no house to house”.

TrueSeeker:
(Matthew 10:11) 11 “Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave.
Highlighted sums it all up quite neatly. Stay in one place like Jesus did and anyone who wants will come hear you.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by TrueSeeker(m): 7:08pm On Nov 15, 2011
@ MyJoe
Finally, we have a considered response to “Do not be transferring from house to house.” (NWT) I observe it's lifted verbatim from page 1151 of Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 1. I would have preferred your own response, but Witnesses appear to have this thing about letting the leadership of the church think for them. Those who have bought a Brooklyn bridge, thinking it’s a bridge to God, believe that God speaks through some men in Brooklyn, have absolute faith in these men’s interpretation of the Bible, God and the cosmos, and believe that whatever they pronounce right is right, and whatever they pronounce wrong wrong. But that’s another matter and is hardly unique to the JW, so no wahala.

Why not prove the interpretation wrong. You are only attacking the source. Wisdom is proved righteous by all its children.

Highlighted sums it all up quite neatly. Stay in one place like Jesus did and anyone who wants will come hear you.
Read all my post again. I have provided a bible base explanation to that earlier. Unless you need to understand the meaning of not “transferring from house to house.” is different from don't preach from house to house.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 11:35pm On Nov 15, 2011
TrueSeeker:

@ MyJoe
Why not prove the interpretation wrong.
Because this is becoming circular, and when that happens I usually leave it. I already proved the interpretation wrong by what I wrote. The interpretation is wrong and doesn't merit to have much time given specially to it since Jesus' instructions were primarily directed at evangelism, the purpose of the outing, not procedure for receiving and processing hospitality.

And I did not attack "the source". I only stated it and passed a comment on how you receive and process materials from its authors.
TrueSeeker:
Read all my post again. I have provided a bible base explanation to that earlier. Unless you need to understand the meaning of not “transferring from house to house.” is different from don't preach from house to house.
Yes I do. Use this word problem.
Iya Ngozi to Ngozi:
Ngo, PDP's women wing's having a rally at TBS. Carry this tray of bread and mayonnaise to go sell. Make sure you find where they relax and stay there. Don't be transfering from place to place.
I need to understand that don't transfer from place to place is different from don't SELL from place to place. Help me.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by Ndipe(m): 3:15am On Nov 16, 2011
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by TrueSeeker(m): 4:04pm On Nov 16, 2011
MyJoe:

Use this word problem.
Iya Ngozi to Ngozi:
Ngo, PDP's women wing's having a rally at TBS. Carry this tray of bread and mayonnaise to go sell. Make sure you find where they relax and stay there. Don't be transfering from place to place.
I need to understand that don't transfer from place to place is different from don't SELL from place to place. Help me.

Since you call for my help, lets start this way.
We are to use TBS as Town, then stores as houses on your analogy. Lets break it down this way. Assuming that your Ngozi will do what the disciples will do that is staying there for a while. She will find a place where she can use as her shop, or store at that location people can come to her to buy bread, people in other stores can equally invite her to sell bread to them, she will have to leave her store and give it to them. Is she transferring from store to store? Perhaps in the evening she might decide to do some hawking, after hawking round the stores she come back to her store. Has she transfer from store to store for hawking around? Since she is only using one store as her own. can you say she is transferring from store to store? But you will quite agree with me that she will be transferring from store to store if she stays in one store in the morning, another in the afternoon, and yet another in the evening.
Do you now perceive the meaning of do not be "transferring from house to house"?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 6:48pm On Nov 16, 2011
TrueSeeker:

Since you call for my help, lets start this way.
We are to use TBS as Town, then stores as houses on your analogy. Lets break it down this way. Assuming that your Ngozi will do what the disciples will do that is staying there for a while. She will find a place where she can use as her shop, or store at that location people can come to her to buy bread, people in other stores can equally invite her to sell bread to them, she will have to leave her store and give it to them. Is she transferring from store to store? Perhaps in the evening she might decide to do some hawking, after hawking round the stores she come back to her store. Has she transfer from store to store for hawking around? Since she is only using one store as her own. can you say she is transferring from store to store? But you will quite agree with me that she will be transferring from store to store if she stays in one store in the morning, another in the afternoon, and yet another in the evening.
Do you now perceive the meaning of do not be "transferring from house to house"?

This is what Deep Sight calls a summersault.

What you have done, sir, is bring in a different analogy in which we see, not only vast change to the scenario, but actors egregiously casting aside specific instructions out of presumptuousness.

I said she was sent to TBS, a park, to sell, not asked to relocate to another town. If Jesus sent them to relocate to another town and the instruction was to camp in one place and preach house to house from there, why tell them not to transfer? If Iya wanted Ngozi to go and open a shop from which she could hawk, why tell her not to transfer? The petty traders I know either rent a small shop or hawk. Do you know any that stay in one shop in the morning, another in the afternoon and another in the evening, such that instructions have to be given against that anytime principals are sending out their helpers?

Apply your mind to the analogy and get the parallels. Jesus sent the men to PREACH. Iya Ngozi sent Ngozi to SELL. Jesus did not send them to camp like Boy Scout, or move house. That is why in my analogy, Iya Ngozi did not send her to (i) open a shop (ii) do some hawking. Jesus asked them to find the best place and stay there. Iya Ngozi asked her helper to do the same. And both then added that there should be no moving around. In fact, it doesn't require much perception to see that Iya Ngozi was against hawking (transferring from place to place) either because she considered it an unprofitable way to do business or thought it was inherently unsafe for Ngozi, or both.

Instructions say: “Do not transfer from place to place.” (There is something called a general advice. There is something else called a specific instruction.)

TrueSeeker says: “Perhaps in the evening she might decide to do some hawking.”

What can I say to that than to remind you of 1 Sam 15:22,23 (NWT):
To obey is better than a sacrifice, to pay attention than the fat of rams; 23 for rebelliousness is the same as the sin of divination, and pushing ahead presumptuously the same as [using] uncanny power and teraphim.

Please try again.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by TrueSeeker(m): 8:46pm On Nov 16, 2011
@ MyJoe
This is the last post I will make on this thread. Since you can not understand that the disciples will need accommodation in the new town or city where they will be preaching. It will difficult for you to understand Jesus instruction. Since you don't go on preaching at isolated territory you can not experience what Jesus meant by not transferring from house to house. You need to be a preacher of God's word before you fully experienced and understood Jesus teaching, who is master preacher and the Greatest teacher. I rest my case. I have a date with some atheists who are claiming they evolve from some kind of apes in another thread. Bye for now.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by gotizsata: 11:33pm On Nov 16, 2011
trueseeker you evolved from I.ncest not apes read your bible God loves it
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 4:49pm On Nov 17, 2011
Your closing summary is tendentious and uninspiring. The supercharged quest55 said I failed to get it because I lacked the Holy Spirit. Now you say it's because I don't preach. Why do you people resort to this when there are no facts to rely on or logic fails and the thinness of your argument becomes clear?

No, I don't need to be a Witness or do the house to house preaching to know what sending someone out to preach and telling him not to go house to house means. The isolated territory thing has been addressed in my post. And I have asked if you know of people who move accommodation daily and where this has posed a problem to preachers such that Jesus had a pressing need to warn against it.

If you don't accept the verse where Jesus forbade house to house preaching, how about the personal examples he set? I understand that the verse in question, once highlighted, would come as a shock to rank and file Witnesses, which explains why you had to rush to the Insight book. But rather than give you some insight the material only confused the situation further. Unfortunately you can't spot this, having ascribed superiority to its authors, perceiving them as the link between the Holy Spirit and you. Not being able to read the Bible or think without funneling it through some men must be a tough situation to be in!
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2011
I had this debate during the harvest. The same arguements! Lacking in spirit of understanding and being not able to succeed from h2h arguements fly. I had a spiritual encounter a day b4 this. Jesus is asking "are you ashamed of home 2 home preaching and content with bus preaching?"
my own question "will your repeating a lie several times make it CORRECT?"
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 7:39pm On Nov 19, 2011
TrueSeeker:

I think you get concluding part of the interpretation wrong. Ask yourself what will Jesus disciples do if they were not accepted in the first house they knock? They will move to the next house. Is that not house to house preaching? Mind you Jesus has asked them to find the deserving one in the city or the town or village they enter. They will continuing searching for the deserving one in the village, town or city in each of the houses?

(Matthew 10:11) 11 “Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave.

i did not force u to join the Jehovist and was not the reason you fell of. We were thought in theology that there is no salvation ex-cathedra and you seem to be towing this line by your dogma! If the ap. Paul said he preached about salvation from h2h and you attack the holy-word because of your helplessness against a JW church, then you will continue in your spiritual wilderness, which the apocalyspe says makes you blind and naked and poor. Have faith in God, 4 with him all things are possible. If "transfering" is the JW sommersault why don't you cite independent non-internet sources on that text?! Or PRAY. I have.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 12:38am On Nov 20, 2011
MyJoe:

1. "*Sighs*
I ought to ask you the following questions.
Did Jesus preach from house or ask anyone to preach from house to house?"

ans: You yourself quoted the apostles as preaching from H2H (IN WHICHEVER FORM YOU Fancy to interprete) yet you are arguing Jesus never set such an example!

2a. "Note, not preaching at a house or houses, but preaching from house to house, knocking from door to door." LOL.

2b. "This is from the Awake of April 22, 1970:
The true religion can further be identified by its preaching of God’s kingdom. Jesus Christ also set the exampale in bearing this fruitage, for he journeyed “from city to city and from village to village, preaching and declaring the good news of the kingdom of God.” (Luke 8:1) And his first-century followers imitated him, calling with the Kingdom message “from house to house.”—Acts 20:20, 25.
Who, then, are taking the Kingdom message to the homes of the people today, and doing it in the way Jesus and his apostles did? When you see a minister calling from house to house and you hear him talk about God’s kingdom as mankind’s true hope, with what religion do you usually associate him?"

Ans: what you need 2 show is where JWs made the assertion that "JESUS WENT KNOKING FROM DOOR TO DOOR" as against the 'infering' that based on so-and-so scripture House2House is scriptural. Also have you read the verses above from the catholic douay version and from the new english bible(all not JW bible) Am only also ruefully follwng your academic sommersault.

3. "I can cite more than 20 instances of the above claim from your publications."

Ans: Show one convincing proof b4 showing 20. What you have shown is a mind habouring pent up anger against H2H and then exploding it on the bible.

4." How about you take your ignorant statement and the guessing one and flip them around at yourself?  smiley"

Ans: you qualify more with that your question on NICODEMUS! You shld ave done beta than that.
5. "There is no shred of evidence that house to house is a more effective method of preaching than other methods."

I G N O R A N C E. Never angrily expose your weaknesses.

6. "If there is, bring it forth. On the contrary, evidence abounds that it is not.
Yes, but what did he say about going house to house? Did he (i) say "do it", (ii) keep silent on it, or (iii) say "don't do it"?
Ans: go from H2H, V2V and T2T. Your problem is interpreting out of context. You are on-your-own.
7. "It exists in the Bible. Luke, not John. Were you unaware of that, was just being devious, or this is your idea of being clever?"

Ans: check your original post and stop pretending.

8. "Yes, Jesus says enter into the house. Did you miss where I acknowledged that and offered a simple enough explanation to dismiss what some sincere folks from the house to house tradition might see as a contradiction? Tell me, sir, did Jesus leave the HOUSE of Nicodemus and knock on the next door? Did he leave the house of Mary and Martha and go to the next house? Did he meet and call the twelve while preaching house to house? Indeed, is there a single record of Jesus preaching house to house?"
Ans: NO! They were preaching from synagogue-to-synagogue, beer palour-to-beer palour, river-2-river, graveyard-2-graveyard: But H2H? Its a sin.

8. "If you think before typing and know the meaning of the word “objective”, please highlight general and specific examples from anything I have typed here remotely indicative of any hatred for your group. Thank you."

ANS: I hope the JWs are not making you loose ya mind. Kajiko. I am a rtd service man. Served allover this country. From Kogi. Jw not my group.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 12:39am On Nov 20, 2011
;d
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 11:15am On Nov 20, 2011
@Retired service man from Kogi

Excellent comprehension skills you got, and whatever drugs you experimented with in your soja days you have clearly since given them up.

Carry go, sir. Na you biko.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 8:42pm On Nov 20, 2011
@myjoe,
eschew bitterness and hate -1peter 2: 22,23. RESPECTFULLY it is time for you to shut up, except if you are being led all along by the demon of talking. Your empty philosophies and theories give you away as to your original intention against the word. GO ON YOUR KNEES AND PRAY!

For any who may wonder, one question to ask is, were the apostles preaching to "converted believers" in the account of ACTS 5: 41, 42?
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by MyJoe: 10:49pm On Nov 20, 2011
Lol at "demon of talking". Bitter kola ko, bitter lemon ni.

But I said you have won naa. Haba, Retired service man from Kogi!
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by otheloze: 6:10am On Nov 21, 2011
I just wonder who is the custodian of the true understanding of the bible since most Christians will attack you once u state the contradictions of the bible. They claim who ever says the bible is contradicting lacks understanding and needs the holy spirit to interpret( more or less magnifying of preconceived ideas). Now i wonder deeply since deeper life, JW Catholic, Anglican, Mountain of Fire, Guide missile, and Jesus never F Up ministry all interpret different meanings there by having varied doctrines which one of them has this monopoly to understand the interpretation (knowing God is not an author of confusion) one of these organisation speaks the truth or they are all telling the truth from different angles.
Re: Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? by quest55(m): 12:16pm On Nov 21, 2011
MyJoe:

Lol at "demon of talking". Bitter kola ko, bitter lemon ni.

But I said you have won naa. Haba, Retired service man from Kogi!
My dear bitter kola a.k.a bitter lemon I expect you to shut-up or 'leave for a while'. You see, this is what happens (ask any MFM spirit directed prayer warrior) at the end of any spiritual battle according to Luke 4: 13. Only keep posting if all your motive is that of "THE Deceiver"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Prophetess Rose Kelvin Feeds The Less Privileged (Video) / The Distorted Message Of Grace That We Preach / My Experience With The Jehovah's Witnesses Organization

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.