Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price (9509 Views)

Danish Woman Adopts 'Witchcraft' Boy And Gives Him A New Name (Photo) / Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / My Uncle's Inlaw Requests For A Laptop As Bride Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by EFCC1(m): 4:57pm On Nov 07, 2011
Community Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price

Tatum (Taraba) – The Kutep Community in Tatum Local Government Area of Taraba has adopted N50,000 as the bride price to be paid on any marriageable lady regardless of the tribe or custom of the suitors.

Speaking on Sunday at the first Kuteb Nation Worldwide Thanksgiving Service in Takum, the President of RCCN Church, Rev. Risae Yakubu, said that the policy was aimed at ensuring that ladies from the area were made affordable.

Yakubu said that the rule applied to all irrespective of the tribe of the suitor or the background of the lady.

“People who used to fear marrying Kutep ladies because of the high cost of bride price can now come.”

“With the minimum wage already implemented by Gov. Suntai, your one month salary can finish it.”

He said that the thanksgiving was in appreciation of the fact that God had restored relative peace, prosperity and glory of the Takum Chiefdom.

According to him, people of all races could come to Takum and do their normal business and leave in peace.

He noted that among other things, God had restored love, trust and friendship between the Kutebs and the neighbouring tribes.

“We are delighted that our neighbours — the Jukun, Chamba, Tiv, Ichen, Yukuben, Igbo, Yoruba, Tigun, Ndoro and Hausa among others –, have joined us in this declaration of thanksgiving.”

In his address at the occasion, Rev. Dr. Caleb Ahima, who is the Secretary-General of TEKAN, with headquarters in Jos, urged religious leaders, traditional rulers, and politicians to guide the younger generation on the need for peaceful co-existence to bring about development.

“We need to tell God that the troubles of the past that destabilised this area will not repeat itself so that the ruins of the wars will be rebuilt,” he said.

In his remarks, Gov. Danbaba Suntai, who was the Special Guest of Honour at the occasion, commended the Kuteb Nation Worldwide for their initiative at ensuring that peace was restored in the area.

Suntai pointed out that returning to God was the ultimate and assured the people of Takum that the state government was prepared to cooperate with them to improve the lot of the people.

He informed them that the bill for all equipment supplied for the completion of the Takum General Hospital had been paid.

He said that the facility would be ready for use by the end of the year, while the hospital in Lisam, in Ussa local government, would be completed in the first quarter of 2012. (NAN)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/community-adopts-n50000-as-bride-price/
What do u think? fair?
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by CyberG: 4:32am On Nov 08, 2011
LOL. . .are they fine like Idoma chicks? wink wink The money ain't the problem grin grin
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Bravojay: 9:36pm On Nov 08, 2011
whatever men
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 08, 2011
N50,000 is still high.

im not willing to pay more than N23,700 as bride price cos im still going to cater for the woman and the children
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 09, 2011
Any discount if I decide to go for 2 babes?
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by 27naira(m): 11:49am On Nov 09, 2011
mbatuku2:

Any discount if I decide to go for 2 babes?

buy marry one get one free.

50% discount on old stocks apply on christmas sales cheesy

valid while stock last lipsrsealed
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by begwong: 12:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
Quote[b]
“With the minimum wage already implemented by Gov. Suntai, your one month salary can finish it[/b].”
what happens to those of us that are not civil servants,we need subsidy too!grin grin
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Sijo01(f): 12:51pm On Nov 09, 2011
N25.00
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by shadrach77: 12:55pm On Nov 09, 2011
toba:

N50,000 is still high.

im not willing to pay more than N23,700 as bride price cos im still going to cater for the woman and the children
why the extra N700 ? why not round the figure up to 24,000 or 23,000?
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by caspapa(m): 1:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
Na wa oh.

I paid 5,000, my inlaw even returned the money to me that same day. "My daugther is not for sale" said the gentle man. I think Ijebu people are nice and wise. IMO.
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by olabukola: 1:20pm On Nov 09, 2011
caspapa:

Na wa oh.

I paid 5,000, my inlaw even returned the money to me that same day. "My daugther is not for sale" said the gentle man. I think Ijebu people are nice and wise. IMO.
Why did they collect the money in the first place and how did you come to know that its 5k that you will pay.

@poster

Are they related to our brothers from the
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by blank(f): 1:31pm On Nov 09, 2011
The money too much jo. Which kain ojoro be this?
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by passionate88: 2:51pm On Nov 09, 2011
olabukola:

Why did they collect the money in the first place and how did you come to know that its 5k that you will pay.

@poster

Are they related to our brothers from the

Ask him o, tongue
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Kakatazz(f): 3:36pm On Nov 09, 2011
They must be cracking a lovely joke.50k in this hard times The chics will wait till they pass menopause and then become free.
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 09, 2011
How utterly stupid.
Why are people still paying Bride Price in this day and age?
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by yommysomguy(m): 5:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
Just for fun i guess, lol
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by BiafranFirstSon(m): 8:33pm On Nov 09, 2011
caspapa:

Na wa oh.

Very soon the gentleman will take her daughter back when both of u have a misunderstang, and like the genleman he is, he will dash her to someone else and it goes on
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by DonChimax(m): 10:05pm On Nov 09, 2011
Wealth creation i think.
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by dustydee: 11:48pm On Nov 09, 2011
what a pity. you pay nothing to fornicate with some of those girls yet you are asked to pay 50k to legalise the relationship.
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by chelseabmw(m): 1:20am On Nov 10, 2011
in Edo state bride price is 2 naira 50 kobo. . . FACT!
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by godman01(m): 7:11am On Nov 10, 2011
Are we supposed to be selling our daughters?
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by jimshimfe(m): 11:04am On Nov 10, 2011
The name is Kuteb and not Kutep please and it is Takum local government not tatum.
50k is a big relive for the kuteb's considering the fact that until now bride price was nothing less than 150k. very rare will you marry at a cheaper rate especially an educated lady. I am kuteb and i paid 205k or more for my wife, believe me it wasn't funny.
At a point i almost opted for another tribe cos that amount can arrange a small wedding already, but than god for making the money available.
We have been yearning for this change for years and with this development, there will be lots of marriages.
The cost in the past made many guys pregnant a lady, she moves in then after many years they go to church (after serving church discipline) and marry for a little amount cos the father (lady) is desperate to save his face from shame.
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Iyykanu: 4:44pm On Nov 10, 2011
It should be "Takum" not "Tatum". I did my Youth Service there way back. That is Danjuma's place
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Iyykanu: 4:47pm On Nov 10, 2011
Jukun is the predominant tribe. I served when they fought that bitter war. Jukun-Kutep war which even spread to "Ussa" LGA
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by jimshimfe(m): 2:10pm On Nov 11, 2011
please dont ever say Jukun are the majority again, this is the problem with Jos. the Hausa people claiming to be the majority and want to be made the King/Chief in Jos in addition to holding political office. Can a person who migrated to an Area, was given piece of land to settle and farm, grow so much to claim majority?
What were the other tribes doing, stopped producing children or what?
They maybe the most influncial in Government/Politics that i wont argue but anything outside that you will have to contact the National Population Commission.
The fight for control of Takum is the reason for the unending Jukun VS Kuteb feud. Mind you Jukun is not the same as Chamba, Ichen, Yukuben, Kpanzo. Unless you are ignorant to call all of them Jukun then i wll agree they are majority in Takum town not Takum  Local Government as a whole.
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Iyykanu: 2:41pm On Nov 11, 2011
Jimi.

Takum is a town I miss so much, I have not been able to visit there. They treated me as their son, I was a CLO. I moved round round the town even to Jenuwa Ngida and Jenuwa Kogi, climbed mountains. Even Changaghi demoninated by TIVs, they also fought with the Jikuns. I see something, we all had to relocate to 3 Battlion, Nigerian Army.Takum. I had Corps members everywhere, was very active.

The chairman jokingly , said CLO if you contest councilor you will win O, as the man saw me every corner, yam and egg and bush meat and pammy centres.

My question, though Jikun,Chambas, Yukubens claim common ancestry, are you saying then it is the Kuteps that own Takum. Danjuma is a Jikun.

Donga is dominated by the Chambas f I am correct.

Please, I don't want to get into the argument, because the 98/99 war was fierce and parties are still bitter (very). Like every history, it depends on the side one is .

If ask Obosi to draw the map of Onitsha, you get a different picture from Onitsha man.

However, I love takum, they took a young me as their son,protected me and the day I was going everybody was crying ,young ,old. I saw Yams in house and ran away.

Even this church mentioned RCCN is a break away of CRCN, correct. RCCN -kuteps, CRCN -Jikuns
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by jimshimfe(m): 3:10pm On Nov 11, 2011
You visited and left, i am born, bred, fathered son of the soil.If you want i will give you a brief history if no one told you.Jukun is a name that covers the Kwararafa kingdom which is said to cover Jukun as a language, Kuteb, Ichen, Kpanzo, Wapan and others. so it is a larger family of languages, when you say they are majority, do you man Jukun speakers, Jukun as a tribe (whose main stay is Wukari) or are you categorising Chamba and Jukun together (2 different dialects)?
Anyway long time ago, the Kuteb in Takum which is made up of 7 Hills/Mountains (Jenuwa, Rufu, Lumbu, Lissam, kpambo, Kwambai etc) lived peaceful, then Chamba (which is TY Danjuma's Tribe) migrated to Takum and sought residence.
They were permitted to stay cos the Kuteb man loves peace, after hundreds of years, some Chamba who became influntial with Danjuma's help not started a war becos after years of the Kuteb being the ruler of Takum (Ukwe-that's the traditional title), they felt it was imperative they gain the stool too.
That is the genesis of the crisis, which led to boundry adjustment (remember i said they were more influntial, politiacally and economically) during the military (Abacha era) regime.Danjuma used his military influence to adjust the boundry which will favor the Chamba's.
The purpose of this boundry adjustment was to ensure all the villages that were Kuteb settlement was annexed to Ussa, another local Govenment of the Kuteb's.
You just came and i dont know where you got your facts but go and ask.
(1) if jukun is majority, how come the Ukwe (King) is Kuteb&has been since inception of Takum
(2) if the Jukun are majority, how come they are only found in Takum and few nearby villages
we will talk some more another day&time.By the way even Donga is not originally Chamba settlement, go find out, they are visitors who stole the kingship through political influence
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by jimshimfe(m): 3:25pm On Nov 11, 2011
Iyykanu, Now about the Church break away, i dont where you worship but let me give you a little of Church history.
RCCN broke from CRCN, the two broke away from EKAN which broke from EKAS which broke from TEKAN.
ECWA,COCIN,LCCN,UMCN etc all are TEKAN breaking from different places.
Before RCCG, Living Faith, Christ embassy, Latter rain, MFM etc the members including Pastor were from another Church before breaking away.
Why did RCCN break from CRCN?
simple, irreconcillable difference, in fighting, the Kuteb/Jukun dichotomy,. The fact that one tribe wanted to be the dominant and final say.
By the way CRCN is made up of Jukun, Chamba, Ichen, Ndoro, Wapan, Kpanzo etc
the Kuteb's are a very proud people who will not be ruled, stoop, bow, allowed to be controlled by another, hence instead of tolerating what the Chamba and at times Jukun ETC COLLABORATORS do to them, they opted out.
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Iyykanu: 3:37pm On Nov 11, 2011
Well my brother, You cannot blame, 90% of my interactions were with the Jukuns. Only my Zonal Inspector was a Kutep, when his died and I visited USSA LGA. I asked why are they no Jukuns in USSA. I was told that was the reason for the war, Kutep felt Ussa is not enough and wanted Takum. I was told that Chambas are Jukun Warriors.
Re: Kutep Community In Taraba Adopts N50,000 As Bride Price by Iyykanu: 3:39pm On Nov 11, 2011
Sorry "You cannot blame me"

then my Zonal Inspector's mother died

Sorry for the distortion.

I was told chambas are subset of Jukun, their fighting or warrior arm.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Husband Is Killing Me Slowly / Women (especially married), their age and Skinny Jeans / Kid Calls Police To Avoid Bedtime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.