Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,302 members, 7,780,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:05 PM

No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife (7494 Views)

Buhari Has Committed Impeachable Offence - Ezeife / Why Buhari Chose An ‘outsider’ As Customs Boss / Outsider Emerging Customs Boss Rubbishes Career Progression – Group Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Chyz2: 3:43am On Nov 09, 2011
[size=15pt]No outsider can stop an Igbo as President in 2015 –Ezeife[/size]

By NDUBUiSI ORJI

Wednesday, November 09 , 2011

The recent decision by the Federal Government to remove the subsidy on fuel, has elicited a wide range of reactions from Nigerians. In this interview with IJEOMA ONUORAH, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife, one-time governor of Anambra State and erstwhile Political Adviser to former President Olusegun Obasanjo, offers reasons why the plan should not go on, and recommends ways to tackle the matter.
Excerpts:

Decision to remove fuel subsidy
I’m not overly concerned with the removal or not of the fuel subsidy. The most important question is how to make fuel available to the domestic economy, to minimise costs, so as to use the petroleum we have as an advantage. I was concerned about the inefficiencies of the so called subsidy. How in the name of subsidy, people are stealing Nigeria dry, the mafia are amassing huge wealth at the expense of Nigerians. I have earlier proposed a better way to the Obasanjo government, on how to tackle this problem.

One aspect of this proposal was immediately implemented, but the other aspect which would have taken longer to implement, did not see the light of the day, because the administration had to go then. I had earlier sent this same proposal to the minister of Petroleum, probably; he hadn’t time to study it. If my proposal is implemented, there may be some kind of subsidy, which may be controversial or not. But at the end of the day, it will be simple and clear to Labour, government and ordinary Nigerians who are consumers, what subsidy is, if it is there at all.

My submission is to review the way petroleum products are supplied to the domestic economy. People are given license to import fuel. Subsidy is based on the basis of what is said to be imported, if it is inflated, then we are paying them money for nothing. But, if they are giving you exactly what they import, then you are paying subsidy through subsidy. But is there a true subsidy in petroleum importation in Nigeria? In theory, there is none, in practice there is, but not as much as claimed.

Let me explain. Nigeria needs about 450 barrels of oil a day to reach her internal consumption. Let us have a body responsible for supplying the internal demands of fuel, from NNPC or even we can even use the existing PPMC, to take responsibility for the supply of fuel in Nigeria. This can be achieved through keeping aside the 450 barrels, the body will now contract refining overseas. They will now integrate the cost of local and foreign refining; arriving at total cost, and then decide on the price. You may find out that the price may not exceed today’s market price.

Government can add a little tax to increase it to the N65 market price of today, and nobody feels any subsidy. The difference between the world price of crude and the cost you are giving the refining company to, presents the opportunity cost subsidy. Also, because we are members of OPEC, we are not given the opportunity to sell everything we produce, so the opportunity cost of subsidy cannot exist if the opportunity is not there.
Note this; by removing subsidy, the cost of doing business in Nigeria, jumps. It is already excruciatingly high. By increasing it further, we are using our own gift to crucify ourselves. We are foolishly obeying the tenets of the WTO, when we are being de-industrialized as a result.

Igbo presidency in 2015

[b]That depends on every Igboman. Nobody from outside Igboland can take away the presidency from us in 2015, if we truly want it, because we are comprehensively justified to fight for it. The God of justice must be with us. By the time Jonathan finishes his tenure, every zone should have supplied Nigeria with a president for at least five years, except the South East. What we had was a coup that lasted for six months and two million people buried with it. God knows about it, Nigerians know about it.

Therefore, when I was the chairman of power sharing committee of the national political reform conference, the members of the committee agreed that there should be rotation by geopolitical zones for presidency. Since every zone has had it, except the South East, what reason can anybody give for the Igboman not to fight for it?
If a well brought up Igboman becomes the president, every Nigerian will be rejoicing, because he will develop everywhere in Nigeria, because his brothers are in every nook and cranny of the country. By virtue of rotation, we should demand and get the presidency. Refusing it, to us means refusing us membership of Nigeria, and that is when they will play into the hands of those agitating for Biafra.
For us advocating for one Nigeria, we are gradually finding it harder to continue our advocacy, if there is persistency in injustice and unfairness.
[/b]

Discordant tunes
Let me clear this. I was the chairman of a think-tank formed by Senator Pius Anyim and myself, whose aim was to talk to the North and South-South, collect their aspirations, go to Owerri to talk to our people, get their mandate. Before then, the North had already invited us. We’ve been Vice to them already, and if they were ready to support us, we were ready to talk about it.

We agreed before we left for Yar’Adua centre that fateful August that the discussions would be preliminary and exploratory. In no way, were we going to issue a communiqué or make commitments to anybody. Along the line, some of our delegates started taking the position of the North. I was flabbergasted; I wanted to challenge things, but discovered that some people were pre-lobbied before we came.

They started lobbying for Vice-Presidency, and barely one week after that meeting, names of people appeared as members of the Babangida campaign group. Our own chairman even gave way to the Northern chairman. No Igboman with any sense of history will prefer at that juncture to support the North instead of the South-South. But, unfortunately, this communiqué was published, supporting the North. Some people quoted me as saying it was a political ambush. Those who knew my politics were shocked, and called me. I had to tell them the truth.

So, at the Igbo summit in Enugu chaired by Mbazulike Amaechi, six days after, we endorsed Jonathan unconditionally. We did this in order to give our people a clear sign of where we are going. Gradually, all Igbos abandoned the position of the preNortherners and we dumped all our eggs in Jonathan’s basket.

Jonathan’s 100 days in office
We, the brothers and sisters of Jonathan in Nigeria lifted a load of salt on Jonathan’s head and made rain to fall on him. Despite this fact, this man, propelled by God has remained unshaken, taciturn, stable, resolute and committed to transformation. Power has improved in Nigeria; he is committed to the transformation of Nigeria. And the extent he has gone, all we can say is what if there were no Boko Haram and no obstructions to development. His hundred days have been one of hope, not the other way round.

His hope is realistic, because the hands of God have been seen in his emergence, and God does not make a mistake. Whatever happens in whoever’s presidency, we should celebrate.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2011/nov/09/newsbreak-09-11-2011-001.html
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by EkoIle1: 3:49am On Nov 09, 2011
lol,
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Rhino5dm: 4:05am On Nov 09, 2011
No need to waste my time reading this comedy. The questoin here is, who is going to vote for Igbo president? The Boko haram or The "Ofem manu" they loathed soooo much? Or I forgat, Jonna boy pro-missed to hand over to them. Mu he he.

This time around, No "MAGIC" numbers can help. If you like let the turn-out be 200% or whatever.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by ezeagu(m): 4:13am On Nov 09, 2011
Do you guys wait for Igbo threads? There needs to be some kind of rehabilitation for Igbo obsession.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Nobody: 4:29am On Nov 09, 2011
But insiders can.

Voters can. The best thing to do is to start appeasing Nigerians or start offering good candidates.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Chyz2: 4:29am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Do you guys wait for Igbo threads? There needs to be some kind of rehabilitation for Igbo obsession.

Right,lol
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by EkoIle1: 4:33am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Just like you do in every non ibo thread you post in?

Try again rufus,
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by abes(m): 7:01am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by lowee231: 7:46am On Nov 09, 2011
so if we have an igbo president, what difference will it make nigeria is heading to an iceberg and nobody is manning the wheel
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Demdem(m): 8:25am On Nov 09, 2011
Ezeife is simply talking his own. if Nigeria still remain 2015, igbos cant claim the presidency. Not yet. By the way i tot The retardeen was called an igbo man before the elections undecided
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by micawber(m): 9:35am On Nov 09, 2011
The problem with our nation is not tribal but jealousy, looting and selfishness. GEJ, we are still awaiting transformation you promised-The power, health, education, etc.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by freecocoa(f): 9:35am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke,appeasing Nigerians for what?

With the way people react to the issue of an igbo president,I just think its best to divide this country,talk about unfairness.msheeeew.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by kokoA(m): 9:39am On Nov 09, 2011
These igbo politicians make soo much noise before elections.
During election, they are always the ones that betray their people undecided Dem neva serious yet
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:40am On Nov 09, 2011
The Guy is right though - Outsiders will not be the ones to stop an Igbo ascendancy to President in 2015 - The Igbos will  grin
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by eghost247(m): 9:40am On Nov 09, 2011
does it matter what tribe the president is from?what kind of country is this for gods Sake
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by sheyguy: 9:41am On Nov 09, 2011
No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 ? ? ?
just as it has been for ages except that igbos always  stop themselves.
And by the way what happened to Goodluck Ebele Ifeanyi Jonathan Who couldn't perform
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by kokoA(m): 9:43am On Nov 09, 2011
sheyguy:

No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 ? ? ?
Goodluck Ebele Ifeanyi Jonathan Who couldn't perform

You forgot[b] AZIKIWE[/b] grin grin
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 09, 2011
@ op,I DON'T THINK SO!
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by basadenet: 9:50am On Nov 09, 2011
Igbo president sha? That is a big lie, everybody knows that the next president would come from the north. so the Igbos should expect nothing in 2015. except they want this Country to break into pieces.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by micawber(m): 9:54am On Nov 09, 2011
kokoA:

These igbo politicians make soo much noise before elections.
During election, they are always the ones that betray their people undecided Dem neva serious yet
[size=28pt]As Simple As That![/size]
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by sheyguy: 9:59am On Nov 09, 2011
kokoA:

You forgot[b] AZIKIWE[/b] grin grin

If u give Ibos the chance they will pass this thing called presidency for the next 200 yrs . . . . . . from Bayelsa-Ibo to SE-Ibo to Delta-Ibo to Rivers-Ibo to Diaspora-Ibo to Dark-skinned-Ibo to Female-Ibo. . . . . the very same ambition that ignited 1966 drama series still running to this day
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Lovine: 10:12am On Nov 09, 2011
Ibos can never be President of Nigeria, why? Because Ibos are cowards no matter what happens in Nigeria Ibos cannot protest because they are business people and always afraid that any riots can destroy their livelihood. Ibos too are religious and also saboteurs. They love money so much. I know you will be angry with but this is true. Where are the MOSOB or what do you call them this Biafrans? If they are not afraid lets them retaliate whats going on in the North. There churches and peoples are been killed.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by manchy7531: 10:23am On Nov 09, 2011
Since every zone has had it, except the South East, what reason can anybody give for the Igboman not to fight for it?
If a well brought up Igboman becomes the president, every Nigerian will be rejoicing, because he will develop everywhere in Nigeria, because his brothers are in every nook and cranny of the country. By virtue of rotation, we should demand and get the presidency. Refusing it, to us means refusing us membership of Nigeria, and that is when they will play into the hands of those agitating for Biafra.

Nigeria have yo head?? There is no two ways about it,if Nigeria want us to stay,we will only if the inequality and injustice in the Nigerian electoral and political system is resolved starting by giving an igboman an opportunity to changed the fortunes of Nigeria.

Obviously that is the greatest nightmare of the north, as for the southwest there fears are understandable but am sure it can be resolved, for the SouthSouth/middlebelt no problem.

Finally, IMO not given the 2015 presidential ticket should be the beginning of Biafra II,which has already started on a low keys, IGBO 2011
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Okijajuju1(m): 10:36am On Nov 09, 2011
Until Ndi Igbo stop looking at the presidency as a thing of "Right" or "zoning", and start looking at it as a call to service, they will never see Aso-rock.
The clamour for an Igbo president is scary to the rest of Nigeria and everyone is being cautious about giving an Ibo man the Presidency, he may just go "Mugabe" on our asses.

But that aside, Who as it stands in the whole of Igboland, from Abia State, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo and Anambra State can command the kind of presence and passion for the rest of Nigeria to give up tribal sentiments and give him/her their votes!!?

Which of the present Governors is performing well enough to deserve a higher calling?!

Please who exactly are we planning on presenting and rallying behind for 2015?
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by member479760: 10:39am On Nov 09, 2011
Igbo are not planning anything to win, just talk.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by bisiaet: 10:56am On Nov 09, 2011
What is this man calle Ezeife talking about? Let him just point to a single Igbo man he think can be push forward to raise the flag for presidency just one Igbo man. Its so pathetic I onced raised this alarm a while ago and supported what the MASSOB leader said that he has not see the seriousness of Igbo or the possibility of Igbo man becoming president in 2015 which is absolute truth I personally dont see it happening and Ezeife is here talking.

Let him give names of who he thinks merit it? Is it all these old fools who left thier own land and hijacked Abuja and turn it to their land that is worthy of be a president? Or is it all these contract must come by force by fire polician that will come forward and say here i'm? Or is it those ones who double speak when money(Ego) is throw to the table? Now is the time to be grooming a better, responsible, a real human, ready to serve, highly respected, good intergrity politician to pick the flag but we are busy with all sorts of distractions and be waiting for miracle and if it does not happen then we would be crying Biafra again isnit?

2015 is just round the corner and nothing I mean nothing convinced me or anyone of readiness to produce the next president. I came from this region but the truth is we can be dreaming or boasting while no action is taken place. I must be sincere I don't know how we are going to achieve this.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Kapardanie(m): 11:00am On Nov 09, 2011
Igbo,Hausa,Yoruba etc, president! All shit. We need a president who is Nigerian,

1 Like

Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by Reference(m): 11:03am On Nov 09, 2011
The mere fact that an Igbo presidency is being discussed is significant in itself. And if it is not then why does it solicit scorn on this forum. Just what are people afraid of. I can understand the fears of the so called owners of Nigeria just like an ignorant parent in the village afraid his child's education and elevation would threathen his authority. Its just crazy.

What we have to understand the dynamics of development. The strength of a country is the sum of all parts. You cannot have economic development without social justice. I repeat you cannot be corruption free and build institutions without EVERY Nigerian participating.

The reason there is so much clean up in the south west is because the centre no longer holds any attraction. They have been to Jerusalem and seen that salvation lies at home. The south-south presidency is already leading to a clean up there as Bayelsans are witnessing with the forthcoming elections simply because GEJ cannot do it.

The South-east needs the presidency demystified so they can look inwards and move forward. Nigeria needs all her regions moving forward.

No matter how strong an engine it cannot pull a train with even just one of its coaches broken.

The south-east should get the presidency. Let the BH thing run for a few more years until the recalcitrants there are exhausted and a new breed of leaders are prepared to take the rest of Nigeria seriously.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by mymadam(m): 11:22am On Nov 09, 2011
Igbo President come 2015? Forget it! Yoruba President 2015? No way! Hausa President 2015? Just a dream! SS President (GEJ) 2015? I just de laf! The new Nigerian President is very likely to come from the USA, sorry from Mars! Please let us discuss how we are going to get out of the mess the nation is in right now. Talk about BH, fuel sub, highway toll, incompetence at the very top, etc. GREEN, WHITE, GREEN!
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by executinal(m): 11:37am On Nov 09, 2011
Only if that country called Nigeria exist before 2015.
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by 1Emmy: 11:40am On Nov 09, 2011
Igbo-Nigeria President is true and possible, but only God knows when it will be
Re: No Outsider Can Stop An Igbo As President In 2015 –ezeife by born2boink(m): 11:42am On Nov 09, 2011
Who want to stop them, they forget ELECTION count and not imposed, they Contested with Christ Okotie and others but they are no where to be found, if they won, they are ruling but if they lost, they have no choice than accept defeat.

They should seek help from Obasanjo  on how to win PDP primary election

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ANPP, CPC, ACN To Become One By April – Shekarau / Labour Party Crisis: Court Bars Abdulsalam From Party Secretariat / Ogun State Government And The Paris Club Refund Yet To Be Fulfilled Promises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.