Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,544 members, 7,808,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Rivers State Cuisine - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Rivers State Cuisine (14933 Views)

Ogogoro: 66 Persons Dead In Rivers State / African Cuisine / Yours Mine and Ours: Cuisine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers State Cuisine by ibis: 12:47pm On Sep 18, 2007
could you please help with the recipes for the following Rivers state delicacies:

onunu (very ripe plantain pounded together with yam and palm oil and eaten with peppery fresh fish sauce)

buru fulo (fresh fish pepper soup cooked with yam at the same time)

native soup (assorted seafood mix eg mgbe, isam and ngolo, fresh fish with a binder maybe achi? )

thank you. ill be so grateful. also when rivers people say fresh fish what kind of fish would that be?

thanks once again
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by sanrima(f): 11:29am On Oct 02, 2007
recipes for onunu: fresh pepper, onion, palm oil, salt, maggi, crayfish (optional), yam, ripe plantains, fresh fish (preferably cat fish or tilapia).

procedure: peel the yam and cut into preferable small sizes, wash and put in the pot, add water and cook for 3mins, peel the plantain and cut to preferable small sizes, add to the boiling yam. add salt, pepper,onion, maggi, crayfish after 3 mins, clean ur fresh fish, wash and steam together with the yam and plantain. add enough water and allow to cook 4 10 mins. remove the yam and plantain, put in a mortar and pound, add the pounded fresh pepper, palm oil and salt to taste, pound all together till it,s mixed properly and smooth enough. remove and put in a plate, pour ur pepper soup in anther plate, ur food is ready, enjoy! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Rivers State Cuisine by sanrima(f): 12:12pm On Oct 02, 2007
native soup recipe: prewinkle, ngolo or mgbe, fresh prawn, grounded achi, fresh fish, salt, pepper, maggi, palm oil, uziza leaf (optional).

procedure: put the quantity of water u want in a put and put on the fire, wen the water starts boiling add palm oil, salt,pepper, fresh fish and maggi and allow to boil for 5mins, add ur grounded achi till u get ur desired thickness, stir for a while so as to prevent the achi from forming lumps and being burnt at the bottom of the pot, after three mins add ur ngolo, prewinkle, fresh prawn and cook 4 three mins. add ur uziza leaf and cook 4 two mins, bring the pot down. ur soup is ready, u can eat with pounded yam, semo, garri or fufu. wink wink cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Cuisine by sanrima(f): 12:17pm On Oct 02, 2007
fresh fish is a fish dat has just been caught from the river, ie a fish dat has not gone thru any method of preservation likr freezing or drying, and as soon as it exceeds the day it was caught it is no longer seen as fresh fish and most times it is sold in markets that are close to the river sides like town market in borokiri.

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Cuisine by ibis: 1:34pm On Oct 02, 2007
Sanrima
thanks!!!!!! u are a darling. was beginning to wonder whether nobody had ever heard of the food.

please cld u clarify a bit on the onunu? im i supposed to grind the fresh pepper and add to the motar when i am pounding the yam and plantain?

thanks.
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by sanrima(f): 10:47am On Oct 03, 2007
yes cos it will make it more spicy and also the colour of the grounded red pepper will make it look more appetizing.
grin grin cheesy u are welcome! i love cooking as a hubby and i also love learning new recipes.
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by omoge25(f): 8:15am On Oct 07, 2007
I'm wondering where is the native soup from what part of Rivers because when i saw this post i asked momsie (she is from okrika) and she gave a different recipe. I will try it this way though. Oh i love onunu tongue, i wish i had a mortar and pestal to make it.

1 Like

Re: Rivers State Cuisine by ibis: 11:24pm On Oct 07, 2007
hi omoge25

the native soup is popular with the kalabari and okrika people.
its full of lots of seafood!
please could you post the recipe your mom gave u?
thank you.
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by mamagee6(f): 6:43pm On Sep 25, 2009
Okay but I don't think I'll eat that. undecided
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by MrsPW: 11:12am On Sep 18, 2012
Sanrima, thanks so much for this recipe! I have fresh fish ready to cook and my hubby has been asking for native soup...I didn't know where to start. But this has been a great help. Thank you!!!!!!cheesy
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 06, 2012
sanrima: recipes for onunu: fresh pepper, onion, palm oil, salt, maggi, crayfish (optional), yam, ripe plantains, fresh fish (preferably cat fish or tilapia).

procedure: peel the yam and cut into preferable small sizes, wash and put in the pot, add water and cook for 3mins, peel the plantain and cut to preferable small sizes, add to the boiling yam. add salt, pepper,onion, maggi, crayfish after 3 mins, clean ur fresh fish, wash and steam together with the yam and plantain. add enough water and allow to cook 4 10 mins. remove the yam and plantain, put in a mortar and pound, add the pounded fresh pepper, palm oil and salt to taste, pound all together till it,s mixed properly and smooth enough. remove and put in a plate, pour ur pepper soup in anther plate, ur food is ready, enjoy! grin grin

For d fresh pepper, u sed it shd be poured in2 d mortar wid d yam n plantain. Do u mean d fresh pepper will be eaten raw
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by Flowers2127: 3:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by poshestmina(f): 10:47pm On Jun 30, 2021
Onunu is boiled yam and boiled plantain pounded together with only palm oil( few drops for coloring)

Hope nobody died from the previous recipe undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Rivers State Cuisine by gentlesinna(m): 1:26am On Jul 01, 2021
Pls we need pictures

(1) (Reply)

How My Childs Birthday Was Ruined By D'xplorer Cakes Gbagada / How To Prevent Fire Outbreak In Your Kitchen / Firm Introduces Refined Garri.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.