Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,842 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Five Killed As Police, Hausa Clash In Ibadan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Five Killed As Police, Hausa Clash In Ibadan (1931 Views)

Yoruba And Hausa Clash In Mile 12 Lagos / Five Killed In Wukari Over Taraba's Governorship Judgement / Three Killed, 30 Vehicles Burnt In Yoruba-hausa Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Killed As Police, Hausa Clash In Ibadan by burteeone(m): 8:18pm On Mar 07, 2006
Two policemen and one civilian were killed on Monday in a clash between policemen and members of the Hausa community in Ojoo, Ibadan. Several others were injured.

advertisement
Police confirmed that three persons died but other sources insisted that the dead are five.

Eyewitness said trouble broke out around 11 p.m. on Sunday night when a policeman attempted to arrest a Hausa man for smoking Indian hemp at Sabo trailer park in Ojoo.

The man resisted arrest and called the attention of his colleagues who gathered to rescue him from the police men.

Sensing danger, the officers opened fire, killing the man. The crowd descended on the policemen and killed two of them.

Five persons were said to have been killed in all and several injured in a free for all fight that ensued.

Police Commissioner, Jonathan Johnson, said he has not been briefed on the matter, and the Divisional Police Officer in Ojoo, Femi Adeboye, declined comment.

"I have already briefed the headquarters on the matter and if they want me to address the press on it they should send a written letter to that effect - not even a phone call; I won't accept that. It has to be documented", Adeboye said.

But Police Public Relations Officer, Femi Adedeji, in a telephone interview described the incident as unfortunate.

He said the police have commenced investigation but have not made any arrest.

According to him, the police are not happy at the loss of officers while carrying out their legitimate duties.

Adedeji added: "Some people are already helping us in the investigation to unravel the mystery surrounding the incident".

Another eyewitness at the Ojoo Lagos motor park, Safiu Adeyi, recounted that he and his colleagues had left the garage when the incident happened but that they heard the gun shots and came back in the morning only to find the bodies.

His words: "We were told that it was a clash between police and some Hausa men. No one can really say what happened but some said the number of people that died was nothing less than five".

Armed policemen are still keeping vigil at the Ojoo trailer park to forestall any further outbreak of violence.

Efforts to get the Hausa community head in Sabo, Ojoo to comment were unsuccessful. He was said to be out of town.
Re: Five Killed As Police, Hausa Clash In Ibadan by babymine(f): 9:11am On Mar 08, 2006
No comment yet. Before you comment on this you have to think very well oh! Maybe I'll comment later, after my fellow Nairaland users have given their candid opinions. smiley
Re: Five Killed As Police, Hausa Clash In Ibadan by burteeone(m): 10:55am On Mar 08, 2006
no comment but we prayed that everythings will be settled insha Allahu, we don't want blood again embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Five Killed As Police, Hausa Clash In Ibadan by Seun(m): 3:21pm On Mar 08, 2006
Source, please.
Re: Five Killed As Police, Hausa Clash In Ibadan by killuminati(m): 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
Na God go punish those police people! How the hell will a cop shoot someone just because he smoked weed. After all, all the so-called police wey I know dey smoke. Na to dey go collect settlement for igboo dealer dem sabi pass. Dan bura'uba shegu kawai!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? / Most Internationally Influential Nigerians / Final Result For Oyo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.