Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? (13212 Views)

Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone / Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Book 7! / Best Harry Potter Book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by ldollier(f): 1:18pm On May 16, 2006
yes harry potter encourages witchcraft, there is no doubt on this

ALSO PLS DO NOT READ THE DIVINCI CODE. all these useless books coming out these days. anywho all books has its influence
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by dakmanzero(m): 2:57pm On May 16, 2006
Jeeesus christ

will you look at all the book-burning censors coming out of the closet!

If you turn your children into bowl-brained troglodytes by stifling their imaginations then its your loss

YOU are the one they will hate when they grow up!

And as for my answer:NO it does not encourage witchcraft because there is no such thing. Please, people. Lets stop acting like we're in the 2,000,000th century BC
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Vieira(m): 5:15pm On May 16, 2006
ldollier:

ALSO PLS DO NOT READ THE DIVINC[/b]I CODE. all these useless books coming out these days. [b]anywho all books has its influence

Maybe you should have tried to read your school books at least??

Tell me what is wrong with the book, that is if you have even read it and not just parrotting others.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by ldollier(f): 8:41pm On May 16, 2006
aint noone parroting others, thats if you truly read the book "divinci code" and if your a true believer, compare what that books says and what you believe.

AND YES, EVERYBOOK HAS ITS INFLUENCE.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by johncena(m): 12:51pm On May 17, 2006
Hell no.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by allonym: 7:22am On May 20, 2006
ldollier:

aint noone parroting others, thats if you truly read the book "divinci code" and if your a true believer, compare what that books says and what you believe.

AND YES, EVERYBOOK HAS ITS INFLUENCE.

Umm. . . you do realize that the "Da Vinci Code" is a book of FICTION. Just letting you know. Just like harry potter - fiction.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by ldollier(f): 9:57am On May 20, 2006
it still has its own influence. why cant people understand this. every book can either improve what you believe or alter what you believer
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Konyi618(f): 10:12pm On May 20, 2006
ldollier:

ALSO PLS DO NOT READ THE DIVINCI CODE. all these useless books coming out these days. anywho all books has its influence

HAHA, Okay I am a Christian and I read that book and I thought it was a very good unrealistic book. However I think it pollutes the minds of those who are bent on discrediting the Catholic church and the Christian Faith. Frankly as a child when told not to do something with no reason attached then the automatic response is to read it one way or ANOTHER. I think that Disney films and cartoons don't usually promote a very postitive message, but we let children watch those because they look so innocent.

Harry Potter Books and movies are indeed fiction and should be judged as such. I am watching out for the next installment in the series. The books let the imagination run wild and it can sometimes be sour to go the movies. I think the reader of the books must indeed have a mature mind but as a parent you should be aware of eveything that your children intakes for their mind and their stomach. Do you not taste your child's dish before it touchs their tongue? Then why would you not sample any of the books that they read? Harry Potter Books are indeed quite witchcraft heavy but I like to make an informed decision and I would say, after reading these books, that when I have children I would let them read the books. An informed book discussion would of course need to follow. If you are a christian like myself, you can facilitate a discussion about how the followers of Lord Voldemort are treated as compared to the followers of Jesus Christ, AHHHH the joy of reading. HAHA well thats it for now. Stay informed.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Konyi618(f): 10:25pm On May 20, 2006
ldollier:

it still has its own influence. why can't people understand this. every book can either improve what you believe or alter what you believer

This means that you are not solidly behind your belief anyway. Are you a Sunday Sunday Christian "Alter what you believe?" Are you serious? Do you fully believe in God and His Son Jesus? THEN NOTHING SHOULD INFLUENCE YOU TO CHANGE YOUR POSITION. I'm sorry but this is not a very good argument.

The Davinci code was actually kinda funny, gruesome at times but still funny. That book has not altered my belief in the Catholic church or the Christian Faith. I am not Catholic in the first place so. There are some things I don't agree with but I don't think these were even discussed in the book. I am solidly behind the Christian faith. I love God and I don't think this will waver after all I have seen in my still growing lifetime.

LOL, Whats actually really retarded is that most Nigerians want their children to become doctors and it is usually in the sciences that people lose their faith in God and the Bible in general. Science is against God even though religion and science go hand in hand, Just thought I'd throw that last one in. Bye for now. Stay Blessed.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by ldollier(f): 1:07am On May 22, 2006
its like you aren't understanding me. i know my faith, and i know what i believe. i am saying that those christians, that are new in christianity, new in faith should not go see the movie. even if it is a fiction. i say this because the book has a powerfull message and only the new/weak in faith would be taken away, thereby believing the message(Fiction or non-fiction). lest i digress, this is a topic on harry potter. peace
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by ToyM28(f): 11:24pm On May 23, 2006
Quite honestly and frankly i wld say it doesnt. Its like saying watching the nigerian movies on how witches get every thing they want, gives a concept of witchery is good. For those who want to appreciate the art of witchecraftry i wld say its to their own disadavtage (seeing has they have their reward ready for them), but for those who love watching harry potter movies because of the entertainment and the fact that their are other factors such as (harry potters determination), i wld never outrightly say it encourages witchcraft.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by uzygirl(f): 6:40pm On May 25, 2006
I definately think those movies encourage sorcery. For goodness sake what are we teaching our children?

Some parents ban their children from watching Nigerian films that potray use of juju and Black magic. I'm sure most of us frown at their use too.
So what is harry porter? White magic?

No, its only a film, its all make believe. So it becomes acceptable Eehn?

Do the children really see it as make believe?
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by gidig(m): 2:19pm On May 27, 2006
I think that I will view this standpoint without necesarily singling out Harry Porter alone.Human nature generally is fascnitaed by the thought and concept of the extra human living.It is the way we are crafted by God (and if you dont beleive in Him, this post is not intended to argue your opinion.I belive there is a God) Our very nature craves this experiances and that is why our films,comics, books are laced with it.

LIfe is filled with questions beyond our intelligence that the concept of the extra terrestial dabbles into.That is the reason why works with this kinds of imagination are very significant in the kinds of followership they generate.The human mind requires fuel, more so very inquisitive children.

Imagination is always inspired.The question then should be.What are the factors that inspired the contents of this book? Did Ms Rowland just sat in her room and began to write about the story of Harry Porter? What are the books she consulted? What are the patterns she followed?

I read somewhere in the mid nineties of a video game that was withdrawn when it was discovered that children who played it became sick.What are the materials that the author used in the writing of the book?
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by dakmanzero(m): 11:57pm On May 27, 2006
The game you are talking about is probably pokemon: the flashing eye patterns set off epileptic fits in some Japanese children. No big deal. Kind of like how asians get motion sickness from playing first-person shooter games. No relation to the inspiration of the thing.

You and I will never know ms rowland's inspiration. You cant even trust what she says, because the moment she knows the inspiration herself, the books will stop being good, because then they will be 'forced' out, and laced with an unnecesary agenda. Just like how the Narnia books became nonsene when CS lewis finally decided to put a name to his inspiration.

WHat you should be concerned about is no the writer's inspiration but the message the story passes on to you. Simple. And bove all, you should be concerned about whether you enjoyed the story or not. because in the end, novels and movies are just entertainment.

For those of you moaning about a harmless piece of fantasy like the DA VINCI CODE, shut up and go and read some proper academic history. You'll find that the book hardly scratches the surface on the mass of lies and misinformation that surround the all the world's religions. The book barely even mentions some of the more damning evidence. So stop brandishing your righteous swords, and continue to observe your FAITH, because that's where spiritual fulfilment lies.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Reverend(m): 10:38am On May 28, 2006
Yeah! I agree, so do ALL Disney movies, ALL fairy tales, MOST children's stories. Additionally, MOST television stories promote sinful behavior - kissing your boyfriend or girlfriend

Kissing your girlfriend or boyfriend, Oh my God how evil can Walt Disney and Harry Potter be!

This is outrageous, to think that reading Harry Potter may make you want to kiss somebody.

We should burn all these books immediately tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Get a life people!
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by mamaput(f): 12:15pm On May 28, 2006
Every evening i tell my last daughter a story :
I made up the story its about a little girl with a blue jacket or blue dress because she loves blue just like my daughter.
She lives in a Mighty house with mighty grounds and on the grounds they have some animals.
A Fat pig that watchesfootball the whole day some chickens and ducks one of the ducks is mental and wants to go to war.
Then they was a goat with short legs and a fat belly that packed out tothe people next door that are never at home.
At the end of the compound is a river that flows into the sea.
Next door is the fat goat , a crocodile and a lama that spend the whole day at the gate spiting at people that pass. so the little girl always has an umbrella. But since she got a kangaroo she dose not need it because they are afraid of the boxing kangaroo.
At the end of the road lives a little boy that is her friend. and after his house comes a big waterfall and behind the waterfall lives a pirate.
Well this is just the foundation . The little girl is always running away from home on adventures with a lot of magic transport means so that by the time she gets home no one will know she was gone. .
There is a magic bed that fly and a boat that goes under water.

Now what a bad mum i am the little girl in the bed with the boy nextdoor flying on adventure . God knows what can happen while they are in the bed .and why is the friend a boy not a girl.

only a dirty mind sees dirty things in things.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by allonym: 9:47pm On May 29, 2006
mamaput:

Now what a bad mum i am the little girl in the bed with the boy nextdoor flying on adventure . God knows what can happen while they are in the bed .and why is the friend a boy not a girl.

only a dirty mind sees dirty things in things.

Well said!

Konyi618:

HAHA, Okay I am a Christian and I read that book and I thought it was a very good unrealistic book. However I think it pollutes the minds of those who are bent on discrediting the Catholic church and the Christian Faith. Frankly as a child when told not to do something with no reason attached then the automatic response is to read it one way or ANOTHER. I think that Disney films and cartoons don't usually promote a very postitive message, but we let children watch those because they look so innocent.

I'm kind of confused, if the Da Vinci Code pollutes the minds of thsoe who are bent on discrediting the Catholic church and the Christian faith, then isn't that a GOOD thing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think many people have forgotten that Adam and Eve have already tasted the fruit of the tree of knowledge/good and evil. It is too late. Before that, when God said, don't do this, and didn't tell them why, it was for their own good. Now, that sort of innocence is gone. It would be foolish to ban things solely because it promotes a point of view that you disagree with. I think good parents are capable of influencing their children. If your television serves as your childs babysitter, YOU are the problem, not the content providers. At some point, everyone must make the choice between accepting what is right, and what is wrong. If your child is so isolated from the world, how will they act when it is time to make those decisions?
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by mamaput(f): 5:42am On May 30, 2006
thank you
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by DaHitler(m): 5:52am On May 30, 2006
Good point, Mamaput.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by ToyM28(f): 3:01am On Jun 01, 2006
Reverend:

Get a life people!

I agree wiv u totally Rev. This is not as much a useless debate but the way ppl think, has completely astounded me (in a very bad way).

How can anybody think Harry Potter is a bad influence on children. Has anybody noticed that the age group which normally reads Harry Potter is mostly 12-above. This is because the smaller kids can hardly read properlly talkless of a 600 paged book.

The poin here is dat the age group of ppl, who usually read this book are mature beof to know that it is fiction, unrealistic and a whole load of bull. The only reason they wld be reading it is purely 4 entertainment purpose.

So, all this talk about Harry poter being a bad influence is TOTLY RUBISH.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by DCC: 1:26am On Jul 10, 2006
People that do witchcraft and think God dont know, Well God do! Harry Potter is a fun movie to watch or fun book to read but to me, Yea I think it Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft. But wwhy would someone that never sin start to sin because to me that movie is a sin.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by jazzy(f): 10:20am On Jul 21, 2006
hey towards this topic i totally agree cos it does influence children.i ve read all d books and watched all the already relased movies and it simply makes withcraft look gud which is a lie , children can be allowed to watch it when they are old enough 2 decipher what is right from wrong so just to have a fill of it and not be left out when thir peers are dicussing . however they should be previously warned abt the ills , my moms buys every harry porter movie cos she likes it though she has her reservations abt it dats dat , i would confess though that it encourages the act of witchcraft. spells like( wingado levi osa in part1 and brekiarmi amendos in part2) in harry porter mite just be real
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by dakmanzero(m): 8:58pm On Jul 21, 2006
yeah right

and the hadoken in streetfighter may just be real, too.

jesus christ of nazareth. when will we escape from the dark ages.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by mamaput(f): 9:31am On Jul 22, 2006
Harry Potter is for me like animal farm . Fiction that has alot tom do with reality
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by shantell(f): 6:16pm On Jul 24, 2006
well i personally i don't think so I've read all harry potter's books and watched all the films i think it just has a way of capturing the reader's mind that keeps u concentrated to the end thats why i love it although i have a friend that practices all the incantations and has a wand too i just think she's weird anyway nothing more
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by omogenaija(f): 4:28am On Aug 21, 2006
i voted no when i meant to vote yes
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Vieira(m): 9:29am On Aug 22, 2006
yeah right

and the hadoken in streetfighter may just be real, too.

jesus christ of nazareth. when will we escape from the dark ages.

Never.

It saddens me to see some of the reasoning here, we as a nation have a long way to go.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by ladenz(m): 3:39pm On Aug 23, 2006
I think we are all getting hot over something which is very open to opinions. Harry Potter was written for kids. Now each person depending on his background, culture personal formation etc. would react differently. That is why we have people and institutions to monitor who watches what e.g. parents, teachers, censor boards etc.
In the case of the Da Vinci Code, it was also apparently written just for entertainment but it attacks the faith and beliefs of many people. Religion is a sensitive issue and people have to tread carefully. Dan Brown wouldnt dare to write such things about Mohammed. Remember Samuel Rushdie?
In summary people can write what they want but the circulation has to be monitored. At the same time the authors have to consider the content of what they are writing; what effect it will have. I rest my case
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by dakmanzero(m): 9:43am On Aug 24, 2006
Yes, we remember Salman rushdie .

We remember that he gained fame and riches, not to talk of international recognition, due to his work on 'the satanic verses', despite his poor writing.

I don't know WHY Dan brown wouldn't want to be like him!!!!
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Hadrian: 8:57am On Sep 02, 2006
Children are impressionable I think its also left to the parents to give them proper guidance and a balanced view to life. I think its equally harmful for us to feed our kids superstitious beliefs, pass on to them our own biases and prejudices as it is to let them believe in witchcraft.I don't have a child yet but personally I don't think I'd stop them from watching Harry Potter or any such material.
I grew up watching fantasy films like this and I know there were times when I wish I had such special powers but my parents did tell me I DO HAVE those special powers, that I can do anything I set my mind to do if I believe in myself and work hard. Now I'm an adult and it works!
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by AuthorFF: 11:04am On Mar 20, 2007
Hey,
I'm writing a human interest story on this topic and i just want to say nothing that i have come up with has said that Harry Potter or J.K Rowling has anything to do with Wicca and the dark arts, even voldie himself has nothing to do with the dark side of wicca.
If anyone can even come up with some sort of truth saying that a kid did a blood rite he got out of Harry Potter then i swear i will eat my own article but until then can someone please tell the media to shut their traps and let us kids/teenager/adults enjoy something.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by simmy(m): 5:11pm On Mar 21, 2007
Xtians just stiffle anything that has a lil imagination. Its a story steeped in European folklore which is in turn steeped in superstition, idolatry and magical stuff linked with evil things grin grin

when i young, i used to read yoruba mythology and my mom used to freak out, but i can now appreciate the beauty in these tales even though to the average xtian itsw all witchcraft and evil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Free Harlequin Novels (e-books) For Download Via Freestuffng / Temptation ; The Story Of Love / Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.