Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,540 members, 7,808,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

'Sin City' Movie Review - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 'Sin City' Movie Review (2380 Views)

Foreign Tabloids Mock Nigerian Movie "Spider Girl' In Hilarious Movie Review / Guy With The City Movie Review: "Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2" Falls A Little Flat / Cars Of Sin City: Dame To Kill For The Film Drive Hyper Realism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Sin City' Movie Review by Vieira(m): 10:39am On Jul 11, 2005
Sin City

Synopsis: The Dames are hot, the Guys tough and the Cops corrupt, welcome to Sin City where your most base dream
can come true and your worst nightmare does every night.

Director : Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino
Starring : Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Rosario Dawson, Micheal Madsen, Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood, Jessica Alba, Brittany Murphy, Jamie King, Nick Stahl, Devon Aoki, Benicio Del Toro, Micheal Clarke Duncan.

This is going to be a very hard film for me to review, why you ask? The answer is because I am a biased viewer who has read the Sin City books and cannot tell the difference between the film and the books.
Well to explain a bit more this movie is based on a series of comic books by Frank Miller set in a town called Basin City, these books are of the crime noir genre and very violent and visually rich.

This film gets one award without any challenges: The most faithful adaptation of any source material ever! The film is almost a image for image copy of the comic books down to the use of black and white and the occasional splash of colour. Even the dialogue is copied almost word for word.
Due to this fact watching this movie was almost like watching a repeat and hence I could not judge how a person who had not read the books would find the movie.
I loved the movie but that should not be used as any indicator for anyone else, unless like me they know the source material very well.

This film is about three tales of three tough guys, the story of Bruce Willis's character Hartigan starts the film and ends it. I loved watching the three main male characters jump from the pages of my comics to the big screen. Best of all was Mickey Rourke as Marv, Marv is one of those characters that is just plain tough. He can take a beating but just keeps on ticking.
Sin City is full of tough guys but none as tough as Marv and none as sadistic! He is a one man demolition squad and when the one woman who has ever keen kind to Marv is killed, you just know that someone is going to pay. Micky Rourke played Marv perfectly and I realised that I miss seeing Mickey on the screen, give him a good part suited to his talents and he will shine.

Clive Owen as Dwight was also a great bit of casting, but I have to say there was almost no one who did not play their part to perfection, Rosario Dawson was a joy to watch as the LovePeddler with a heart of steel, Devon Aoki played the Ninja LovePeddler as if born to it!

I do not want to go on and on about this movie and rest assured I could!, so I'll just conclude with this little blurb:

In this film, the girls are always half naked, there is a hot ninja LovePeddler who kicks ass, we have gun toting hussies, real men who smoke, kill and have sex and stick to an outdated honour code, the bad guys are all sick and perverted and are killed and maimed in the most horrible and disgusting manner. In short this is a man's man movie. Not for the squeamish.

I give this a hard as nails 7.5/10

Shazam!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Angelgal(f): 11:26am On Jul 11, 2005
I watched the movie, kinda unique cause of the black and white effect and the comic touch to it. I never read any of the Sin City comics but like you said, it was like watching a comic book come to live.

Yep dem chics in the movie sure know how to kick ass! That ninja babe was LETHAL!

I think Jessica Alba was realy hot especially with that her lasso dance. I think it was real sweet for her to fall inlove with Bruce Willis's character never mind the age difference. ('Been having the hots for Willis myself since I was a teenager!)

And Vieira, you didn't mention the romantic aspect of the movie (mmhmm....typical male glorying in the violence aspect only ....sob!! snifffff!!!)

I hardly recognised Mickey Rourke, gruesome make up! Hulk without the green skin sort of....as for Benicio Del Toro he was baaaaaad..... the Ninja chick really sliced him up.

Ok the movie's really gory but still entertaning....thank goodness it ain't coloured cause it woulda been really bloody in every sense of the word!

Rating?.....dunno you just go watch and make your own opinion!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Vieira(m): 11:38am On Jul 11, 2005
nice review angelgal! yeah typical bloke I forgot about the mushy stuff!

I fell in love with the ninja babe!

If it was coloured they would have to make it an 18 film! I am glad that you enjoyed it as well because I was not sure if ladies would like it.
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Chxta(m): 10:27am On Jul 12, 2005
How can you give it just 7.5? Abi u dey craze? angry This is one of the best films ever, and point of correction, the dialogue (except in The Big Fat Kill) is a faithful adaptation of that in the comics (I have all the comics grin). I just can't wait for whenever they'll bring out a part 2 with A Dame To Kill For and To Hell And Back tongue. That will be something!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Vieira(m): 4:36am On Jul 13, 2005
Chxta no vex o! next time I go give am 9!! grin

I did say the dialogue was word for word from the comic o!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Seun(m): 10:01am On Jul 13, 2005
This is an evil movie for evil boys (and girls)! Good boys (and girls) like me watch romantic comedies!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by shockreaction(m): 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2005
Evil movie? Lol. Seun, missing your good ol' kindergaten days? tongue

Sin City's very good. The noir effect makes it pretty cool and different, and it's one of the [rare] comic book adaptations that turned out to be a success.
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Vieira(m): 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2005
shockreaction:

Evil movie? Lol. Seun, missing your good ol' kindergaten days? tongue

Sin City's very good. The noir effect makes it pretty cool and different, and it's one of the [rare] comic book adaptations that turned out to be a success.

why rare? most comic adaptations actually make a big profit even the crap ones really! Look at Fantastic Four it has got really bad reviews in America but is still number one in the box office!

The thing about comic adaptations is that they already have a loyal audience who will go and watch it no matter how bad it is! I love the Fantastic Four Comic and hence I will watch this movie even though I have been hearing bad things about it.

Even Catwoman which is one of the worst comic book movies ever will still make a big profit but in it's case with DVD sales and stuff.

Since X-Men most of the comic adaptations have been major sucesses! none more than Spiderman which I think is now in the top 20 ever!!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Hunter(m): 11:17am On Jul 14, 2005
went and saw it at the movies this afternoon, it was very good but a bit wierd smiley
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by hotangel2(f): 10:04am On Aug 05, 2005
yes weird... black and white..so last century.
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Chxta(m): 9:37pm On Aug 08, 2005
That's why it's called Film noir pretty one...
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Seun(m): 6:44pm On Sep 02, 2005
I decided to watch Sin City yesterday, because you people kept talking about Jessica Alba's Lap Dance. I'm glad I did; it was a good movie!

It wasn't as nauseating as most horror movies, because all the gruesome deaths on screen were reserved for the bad guys, while the deaths of the good people were either not shown in real time or very quick (shooting, no torture). Also, I was able to protect myself from any shock by reading what's going to happen next from a spoiler page before each brutal scene in the movie.

About the lap dance: Jessica Alba is hot, always hot, but the lap dance scenes were brief and nothing special - I did not see anything of her that I haven't seen before. wink

However, the movie made up for it by having very strong storylines. And the ending was perfect, and kiss as romantic as it gets in a lawless city!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Hunter(m): 12:45pm On Sep 05, 2005
I dunno I must be desentized to violence or something, I didn't find it "that" bad in comparison with some other movies that I have seen rolleyes
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Seun(m): 10:11am On Jul 14, 2006
Same here. Was the movie was shot in black and white, or is it just my imagination?
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Damsal(f): 12:21pm On Jul 14, 2006
Yes it was shot in black and white Seun, with consideration for few colours. I think this film was slamming, i loved every bit of it and can watch it over and over again. Though my best film still remains X-men.
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Oracle(m): 3:27pm On Jul 14, 2006
Never watched it.
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by iice(f): 7:16pm On Jul 14, 2006
Gee where 2 start? Sin is like 1 of my fav movies of all time, nver mind that am a big fan of RR and QT works but the noir genre is like so totally fading away, i was really happy when RR brought it back in such a special movie, I love gory movies, all that fights and overlapping stories and what not, I basically love all the xters but Mickey Rourke was like HOTTT wink in this movie, i barely recognized him but awww he like gave meaning 2 the term 'Die Hard' knw what i mean? Then there's Elijah Woods xter, so totally different frm anything we've seen him play, creepy but captivating, Benicio? I've always loved Benecio, he's got that bad guy persona thats sooo hot lol, and Josh, well i love josh in almost all his movie, For the chics i guess its Devon that takes the cake, she's like no nonsense and all slashing, way cool. And finally Clive, clive lol, what can i say he's like lipsrsealed lipsrsealed, come save moi lol,
Seriously, it was more of all the backroom work i was interested in, u know, cinematography, direction, production, sets, customs, actors/actresses all that, can't wait for the next part 2 come out wink wink
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by Seun(m): 3:19pm On Jul 17, 2006
I really loved the movie but I can't watch it again. My innocent mind can't take so much senseless violence!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by enugu(f): 12:57pm On Sep 03, 2006
Just watched it two nights ago and smiley smiley smiley just doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't usually go for the gory stuff but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, Sin City was worth all the gore shocked

My attempt at reviewing this film will surely fail so I won't even bother. (Reviewing is not exactly my forte) However, I'll give it a 5 star rating. It was goooooooooood!
Re: 'Sin City' Movie Review by iice(f): 11:51am On Sep 04, 2006
I could watch it over and over. LOL enugu, you did well on your reviews wink Am big on gore and violence grin grin

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Most Boring Movie You'd Ever Seen? / . / Download Miss Flawless - Latest 2015 Nigerian Nollywood Drama Movie (english F

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.