Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. (4114 Views)

Must Barca Cheat To Win! / El Clasico: Real Madrid Vs Barca [0 - 2] on Sat, 10th April / Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by BizBooks(m): 2:16pm On Nov 10, 2011
Whenever Barcelona is being discussed, you invariably hear somebody call them Bakar. This is obviously an attempt to pronounce their short name - Barca. But Barca is pronounced - BASAR not BAKAR.

As the saying goes, if you want to know how a word is pronounced, you listen to the native speakers. If you listen to the Spanish and even English football commentators, you will clearly hear them use the correct pronunciation - BASAR.

I do not think this error in pronunciation is a deliberate attempt to insult the club. But I have heard so many people make this mistake that I am compelled to write about it.
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by edoyad(m): 4:12pm On Nov 10, 2011
BizBooks:

Whenever Barcelona is being discussed, you invariably hear somebody call them Bakar. This is obviously an attempt to pronounce their short name - Barca. But Barca is pronounced - BASAR not BAKAR.

As the saying goes, if you want to know how a word is pronounced, you listen to the native speakers. If you listen to the Spanish and even English football commentators, you will clearly hear them use the correct pronunciation - BASAR.

I do not think this error in pronunciation is a deliberate attempt to insult the club. But I have heard so many people make this mistake that I am compelled to write about it.

I remember i first heard that term Basar being used by Tommy Smyth with a Y on ESPN back in the late 90s. But I wonder why Nigerians are fond of pronouncing it Bakar undecided
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by MeGaStReEt: 7:17pm On Nov 10, 2011
@Op. If we no stop wetin go happen grin
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by usbcable(m): 11:00pm On Nov 10, 2011
its not only barcelona that mispronounced

check the list:
Chelsea - shelsee
Arsenal- assna
barca - barka

etc
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by BizBooks(m): 11:31pm On Nov 10, 2011
usbcable:

its not only barcelona that mispronounced

check the list:
Chelsea - shelsee
Arsenal- assna
barca - barka

etc

You are right. But the mis-pronunciation of Barca is the most egregious. With Shelsee and Assna, you at least have an idea of the speaker's intention. But when somebody calls Barca - Bakar, you are totally lost.
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Plutarch: 7:29am On Nov 11, 2011
Ok noted. But the players should first stop diving. BARKA de suwa
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by AjanleKoko: 8:48am On Nov 11, 2011
Plutarch:

Ok noted. But the players should first stop diving. BARKA de suwa

You see why it's not good to not go to school when others are going. undecided
What is the relevance of this ya comment now?

@Topic,
Na una sabi the name. The club itself sabi the trophies grin Call them anything you like, if you like call them Ajegboro sef. All join.
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by brainpulse: 8:51am On Nov 11, 2011
ARE you their ADVOCATE or lawyer, WHY ARE YOU BLEEDING FOR ANOTHER MAN'S INJURY?
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by maclatunji: 9:00am On Nov 11, 2011
BizBooks:

Tell them O. I would have created this thread but people are already thinking I like bashing Nigerians so I refrained.
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 11, 2011
UNa don come again. wEDA BARKAR OR BARSIR, abi na the team wey get messi,

maclatunji:

Tell them O. I would have created this thread but people are already thinking I like bashing Nigerians so I refrained.
Yeah, Na you be Nl grammar teacher. You're the same guy that posted on pronunciation of certain words. If una no get beta thing to do, apply to Seun to make yo mod for one of these forums shocked
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by maclatunji: 9:16am On Nov 11, 2011
musKeeto:

UNa don come again. wEDA BARKAR OR BARSIR, abi na the team wey get messi,
Yeah, Na you be Nl grammar teacher. You're the same guy that posted on pronunciation of certain words. If una no get beta thing to do, apply to Seun to make yo mod for one of these forums shocked

LOL, you can come and employ me now!
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by IbroSaunks(m): 9:18am On Nov 11, 2011
BizBooks:

funny enough i think ur wrong, its barsa, not basar!!

1 Like

Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by mayrho(m): 9:33am On Nov 11, 2011
i thought every1 who could use a computer had a level intelligence but it seems monkeys type too.
Because i can't imagine how someone corrects us all and instead of taking the correction and moving we behave like monkeys.
Nigeria is a place where anything goes so we are used to doing things anyhow and so we get anything.
My 2cents take or leave and if u like attack me it just shows u level of IQ
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 11, 2011
mayrho:

i thought every1 who could use a computer had a level intelligence but it seems monkeys type too.
Wow, is your monitor that reflective?
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by saintneo(m): 9:51am On Nov 11, 2011
related to Boko Haram
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by jmaine: 10:02am On Nov 11, 2011
The Basar sef no even sweet for mouth cheesy . . . Barca Jare grin . . . Na today . . .
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by BoOOosHBoy: 10:08am On Nov 11, 2011
Why did this topic make the front page?
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by slap1(m): 10:40am On Nov 11, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by ITbomb(m): 11:07am On Nov 11, 2011
and why must i pronounce it Barsa or Basar when Bakar is okay by me
Must I pronounce like them
We invited a Frenchman to speak on a workshop at University of Port Harcourt, and He insisted on pronouncing Port Harcourt as "Por Arcour" , saying in his native tongue the last letter is usually silent.
Other whitemen pronounce Ajegunle as "Ayehunle"
Imagine commentator on Enyimba match calling Aba "Arba", and we didnt notice anything wrong with that
So must I follow them and pronounce Serie A as "Sera Ar" or Juventus as Yuventus, if na Calabar man, we go crucify am.
As Nigerian we pronounce medicine as ME DI CINE
i see zimbabwe english when installing some software,
why shouldnt we tell the world .THIS IS HOW WE PRONOUNCE CERTAIN THINGS

1 Like

Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by snthesis(m): 11:21am On Nov 11, 2011
so its Brassier
small wonder they dive like women grin grin
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Basildon1(m): 11:30am On Nov 11, 2011
mayrho:

musKeeto:

Wow, is your monitor that reflective?
cheesy  cheesy  cheesy Swooosh!!
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by abohrandy: 12:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

typically of Us, we love this question so much!!!

seriously
when i call it barsar, my guys dey laugh me!!! i dont know y it is so difficult to take simple correction. there are some pipo that if you dont pronounce their names right, u don enter wahala be that oh especially old igbo men but here we are killing some other person's (abi na club) name!!!

[quote][/quote]
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by lekyar(m): 3:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
Noted, tnks for the enlightenment. guilty as charged.
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by dayokanu(m): 3:25pm On Nov 11, 2011
I thought it was IBAKA?
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Solarbaba: 3:54pm On Nov 11, 2011
Why r u correcting pple on what u don't know? Barka is d right pronunciation.'am a true barka fan and i know the club's anthem.inside the anthem 'barka' is pronounced.moreso,abreviation for barcelona fc is barça and not barca.
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Kilode1: 4:20pm On Nov 11, 2011
Can Oyinbo people pronounce Eyinmba correctly ??  angry

Abeg, Barka jo! Na my naija pronunciation be that, if dem no like am, they can go nod Olumo Rock!
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Skii(m): 4:26pm On Nov 11, 2011
Solarbaba:

Why r u correcting pple on what u don't know? Barka is d right pronunciation.'am a true barka fan and i know the club's anthem.inside the anthem 'barka' is pronounced.moreso,abreviation for barcelona fc is barça and not barca.

If you noticed, the "c" in barça has got an "s" attached to it, hence the "ssss" pronounciation.
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by BizBooks(m): 4:27pm On Nov 11, 2011
Solarbaba:

This is really not rocket science. If you have the time, go to Google and type "How do you pronounce Barca". The mis-pronunciation is not peculiar to Nigeria. People from other countries make the same mistake too.

Below is a discussion on that topic in another forum way back in 2004:

AndSomeAreAngels 22 Sep 2004 03:44 PM

Pronunciation of Barça?

I've always thought that "Barça" was pronounced "Barka", but a friend of mine always says "Barsa", as in Barcelona. Is it a hard or soft "c" sound? The jackasses on FoxSportsWorld always say "Barsa", which leads me further to believe that this is the incorrect pronunciation.

Which is it and why? Thanks.

otterulz 22 Sep 2004 03:52 PM

Re: Pronunciation of Barça?

It is indeed "Barsa". Why I don't know. I just know that a buddy of mine who's a linguistics major studied in Barcelona for a year and said that the "ç" is pronounced like an "s" sound.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/printthread.php?t=139607
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2011
it is BAR'C'A BUT THAT "C" HAS AN ASSENT UNDER WHICH AFFECTS IT AND TURNS IT TO "S'. IT IS Barsa,
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by Maximus85(m): 5:19pm On Nov 11, 2011
This is a waste of time. Barsar my foot. BAR CHEAT{criminals} LONER{spanish outcasts)
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by decogrin(m): 5:42pm On Nov 11, 2011
Actually,the poster is right,what hes telling us is the truth,but am not sure if he's also sayin by force we must stop it, hes just tellin us so we could know which is which, anyway, UP BARCA!!!
Re: Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar. by BizBooks(m): 6:12pm On Nov 11, 2011
decogrin:

Actually,the poster is right,what hes telling us is the truth,but am not sure if he's also sayin by force we must stop it,

I actually thought about not sounding forceful or condescending. That's why in the title, I said "Let's Stop Calling Barca - Bakar". The "Let's" by inference includes me, though I do not make that mistake. I could have said "Stop Calling Barca - Bakar" which would have come across as an order.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Didier Drogba Leaves Chelsea On A Free Transfer / Manchester United V Barcelona Ucl Final Prediction Contest: Prize $100! / UCL: Chelsea Vs Bayer Leverkusen (2 - 0) On September 13th 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.