Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,960 members, 7,799,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share (1307 Views)

PHOTOS: I Abandoned My Five Children To Become A Lesbian / "Jonathan Will Suffer Massive Disgrace In 2015" - Prophet Marcus Korede Tibetan / Why Does God Allow Satan To Influence Mankind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by God2man(m): 8:57pm On Nov 10, 2011
Nairalanders, let us look into the Book of Job in the Bible, if we can get an answer to this question. Job, a wealthy and upright man, lost his wealth, his children, and his health. Job did not understand why he was suffering. Why did God allow this to happen to an innocent man?
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by God2man(m): 9:17pm On Nov 10, 2011
The historical setting took place in the land of Uz,located in the area of Edom. South of the dead sea extending to the region of the northern Arabia. Job is not an israelite, but depicted in the story to be a foreingner. The third son of Issachar. He was married to a wife who bore him seven sons and three daughters. He was a very wealthy man, although his wealth is measured in terms of livestock rather than gold and silver. Inspite of his riches and wealth, he was a righteous man, faithful to God and careful not to do anything evil. His wealth is valued at $970,000:00. The suffering of Job which is the central point of discuss came as a result of satan's accusations. He questioned Job's motive and decency and traced it to his abundant blessings from God. In other for God to prove his righteousness, God gave satan the power to test Job.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by Joagbaje(m): 9:44pm On Nov 10, 2011
It was a test of his faithfulness. At the end of the day, his life was far better than before.

Job 42:12-16
12 So the Lord blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses. 13 He had also seven sons and three daughters. 14 And he called the name of the first, Jemima; and the name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Kerenhappuch. 15 And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren. 16 After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons'sons, even four generations.

James 1:2-4
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by chrisj2000(m): 9:50pm On Nov 10, 2011
only Him knows
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by Judek2(m): 10:07pm On Nov 10, 2011
chrisj2000:

The answer Is simple, because god doesn't exist. If you have children you love and you are very wealthy, omnipotent and omniscient as well, will you let them go through pain?  you know the answer. god exist only in human mind.

Your likes definitely smiles at this type of topic because its another opportunity for posting your atheistic vaguely assumptions.

If human immaginations created God,then who created the human immaginations?
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by God2man(m): 11:24pm On Nov 10, 2011
Job's friend ( Eliphaz,Bildad and Zophar) wrongly accused Job that the suffering came as a result of sin. They believed Job sinned against God. In chapter 2 verse 9" Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? Curse God, and die" The wife of Job came with another blow. Also, a young man named Elihu came with a different comments. Rather than dissipate his mental energy in trying to get at the root of Job's sufferings, Elihu probably believed that only God can make out why Job had to pass through this suffering. Read Job 32:6-8. Job himself was not left out, he asked questions, but in chapter 38 God asked Job a series of questions, it will be interesting to read those questions. Now, if God is love and has all the power to remove suffering why does he allow good people to suffer? What do you think? God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by chrisj2000(m): 12:11am On Nov 11, 2011
only God knows
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by Ndipe(m): 12:21am On Nov 11, 2011
God2man:

The historical setting took place in the land of Uz,located in the area of Edom. South of the dead sea extending to the region of the northern Arabia. Job is not an israelite, but depicted in the story to be a foreingner. The third son of Issachar. He was married to a wife who bore him seven sons and three daughters. He was a very wealthy man, although his wealth is measured in terms of livestock rather than gold and silver. Inspite of his riches and wealth, he was a righteous man, faithful to God and careful not to do anything evil. His wealth is valued at $970,000:00.                             The suffering of Job which is the central point of discuss came as a result of satan's accusations. He questioned Job's motive and decency and traced it to his abundant blessings from God. In other for God to prove his righteousness, God gave satan the power to test Job.

I think he was an Israelite. Read this futuristic comment he made:

"For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God; whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me."—Job 19:25-27.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by God2man(m): 12:57am On Nov 11, 2011
@ndipe, let us leave the issue of an isrealite, what are the lessons to be learned from this ancient book of Job. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by tpia5: 4:09am On Nov 11, 2011
whom the Lord loveth He chastises.

the case of Job was an extreme one and of course one has to wonder why God allowed him to go through so much pain and suffering- was it really necessary especially since he was such a devout man.

The few things I ponder on are these:

1. We do not know how long Job was devout. What was he like in his youth?

2. Why did satan feel he had a right to attack him?

3. Job regularly offered sacrifices on behalf of his children to purify them. I feel this might be a strong indicator of something.

4. His children had a habit of throwing big parties and this was what got Job worried enough to offer sacrifices on their behalf because he felt they might have sinned against God without him knowing.

5. What went on at those parties? Did they actually open a gateway for satan to attack the family through them?

6. Is Job a Christ figure. Punished for the sins of others and taking their burdens upon himself.

7. Why did everyone keep telling him to curse God and die. If he cursed God then died, wouldnt he go to hell? And this cursing was also Job's fear for his children- that they might have cursed God.

8. Why was his wife only mentioned briefly? Is this an adamic reference? as per asking him to go against God's word.

Lord have mercy sha- it's only by the grace of God.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by Judek2(m): 7:36am On Nov 11, 2011
chrisj2000:

@Judek2
If you are an obstinate believer of Creationist theory, tell me who created the creator. Because the creator in your theory couldn't have come by chance.

Maybe you can tell me who you believe created you,thats your creator.
Or could you have come by chance?

Then you can stuff your brain in finding out who created your creator,and proberbly who created the creator that created your creator,
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by ichuka(m): 9:12am On Nov 11, 2011
@op
"i had heard of thee by the hearing of the ear;but,now mine eye seething thee"(job42:5).
The above verse summarized the book of Job,it shows us a tremendous transaction that took place in Jobs life,.
Job say"i had heard of thee by the hearing of the ear"that is the relationship with God is by hearing audibly,which is very objective and shallow,
most Christains a like that.
God brought some tremendous experience to him,dealing with him physically,stripping all that is objective and shallow in his life.So Job can say"But, now mine eye seething thee"that is he have been transformed to the image/likeness of God.his constituents is now Christ.
God purpose is to constitute Christ in us,by dealing with anything thats natural and objective in our life.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by God2man(m): 11:41am On Nov 11, 2011
Despite the fact, Job was upright and blameless before God, there are still some deficiency in his life as regard knowing who God really is. In chapter 38 God asked Job some questions. Let us see" Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said, who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for i will demand of thee, and answer thou me. Where wast thou when i laid the foundation of the earth? Declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? Or who hath streched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? Or who laid the corner stone thereof; when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb? When i made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it, and brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors, and said, hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?" These are mysterious questions, that Job could not dare answer, Job had to admit his deficiency by saying " i have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee" more contibutions are still expected. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by dalebutt1: 11:42am On Nov 11, 2011
The beingness of God cannot be proved or disprove. The Bible says that we must accept by faith the fact that God exists: “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6). If God so desired, He could simply appear and prove to the whole world that He exists. But if He did that, there would be no need for faith. “Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed’” (John 20:29).

That does not mean, however, that there is no evidence of God’s existence. The Bible states, “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.

PLEASE LETS STUDY THE BELOW CAREFULLY. LET THE SMART ATHEIST CAREFULLY READ AND IF ENGLISH IS NOT YOUR STRONG POINT AS AN ATHEIST GET A TRANSLATOR AND THE FOOLISH CAN ALWAYS IGNORE

Does God exist? Is there evidence for the existence of God?

Does God exist?

Question: "Does God exist? Is there evidence for the existence of God?"

Answer: The existence of God cannot be proved or disproved. The Bible says that we must accept by faith the fact that God exists: “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6). If God so desired, He could simply appear and prove to the whole world that He exists. But if He did that, there would be no need for faith. “Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed’” (John 20:29).

That does not mean, however, that there is no evidence of God’s existence. The Bible states, “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world” (Psalm 19:1-4). Looking at the stars, understanding the vastness of the universe, observing the wonders of nature, seeing the beauty of a sunset—all of these things point to a Creator God. If these were not enough, there is also evidence of God in our own hearts. Ecclesiastes 3:11 tells us, “…He has also set eternity in the hearts of men.” Deep within us is the recognition that there is something beyond this life and someone beyond this world. We can deny this knowledge intellectually, but God’s presence in us and all around us is still obvious. Despite this, the Bible warns that some will still deny God’s existence: “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God’” (Psalm 14:1). Since the vast majority of people throughout history, in all cultures, in all civilizations, and on all continents believe in the existence of some kind of God, there must be something (or someone) causing this belief.

In addition to the biblical arguments for God’s existence, there are logical arguments. First, there is the ontological argument. The most popular form of the ontological argument uses the concept of God to prove God’s existence. It begins with the definition of God as “a being than which no greater can be conceived.” It is then argued that to exist is greater than to not exist, and therefore the greatest conceivable being must exist. If God did not exist, then God would not be the greatest conceivable being, and that would contradict the very definition of God.

A second argument is the theological argument. The theologists argue that, since the universe displays such an amazing design, there must have been a divine Designer. For example, if the Earth were significantly closer or farther away from the sun, it would not be capable of supporting much of the life it currently does. If the elements in our atmosphere were even a few percentage points different, nearly every living thing on earth would die. The odds of a single protein molecule forming by chance is 1 in 10243 (that is a 1 followed by 243 zeros). A single cell is comprised of millions of protein molecules.

A third logical argument for God’s existence is called the cosmological argument. Every effect must have a cause. This universe and everything in it is an effect. There must be something that caused everything to come into existence. Ultimately, there must be something “un-caused” in order to cause everything else to come into existence. That “un-caused” cause is God.

A fourth argument is known as the moral argument. Every culture throughout history has had some form of law. Everyone has a sense of right and wrong. Murder, lying, stealing, and immorality are almost universally rejected. Where did this sense of right and wrong come from if not from a holy God?

Despite all of this, the Bible tells us that people will reject the clear and undeniable knowledge of God and believe a lie instead. Romans 1:25 declares, “They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.” The Bible also proclaims that people are without excuse for not believing in God: “For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—His eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse” (Romans 1:20).
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by ichuka(m): 12:49pm On Nov 11, 2011
In the begining of the book of Job,the major characters are God,Job and Satan,
The closing chapters of the book we have only God and Job,all that is of Satan have been strip off in his life,
thats the reason God drew the attention of Satan in his life,most of his riches/treasures in his early days has some element of Satan in them.
If our blessings is mixed with some element of Satan,God will definitely strip them all out.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 11, 2011
Job was just a bet between God and the Devil.

But he became healthier and richer after. Poor man though!
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by dalebutt1: 1:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
my previous post was for the athiest on this thread, back to the topic now. this is quite a difficult one to really explain

David said, my God, my God, why have you forsakeen me? also jesus being the offspring of david and our Lord and hope to salvation when was on the cross he said my God, my God, why have you forsakeen me. God could change everyones situation if he cared to change it . But we should remember as the children of God because of the free will handed to us to choose good from evil, as close to perfect as we try we still commit sins almost on a daily basis.

If God should eradicate suffering in the lives of all believers, there would be no need to faith and the relationship between the creation and the creator would be less meaningful because it would be that as soon as i become a christian that is the end to suffering.

God didnt promise us a troubled free life, he says in the book of john 16 v 33, I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world. everything suffering shall end when we get to heaven.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by dalebutt1: 1:46pm On Nov 11, 2011
I was reading a book about an old woman with alzhemer similar to dementia, there is no cure for this disease till now, this disease causes vast memory lost that the victim would not be able to remeber almost everything they ever knew.

this woman suffered for very long time before she died, but there one thing people know this woman for, she always proclaim the Lord is good when she finally die the grandson was asking his dad, he says dad where is grandma? dad replied, grandma is in heaven the young boy said oh good now grandma can remember everybodys name and grandma is totally free. That is just a typical example that until we are in heaven we are bound to challenges, suffering and any sort of tribulation but as we experience it we should try not to loose up because God experienced it on the cross, and he said he is with us till the end of the Age.

Alleluia!! Alleluia!! Alleluia!!. I love you Lord
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by HISchild: 2:00pm On Nov 11, 2011
@op, we know that "The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works." - Psa 145:17.  

we also know that "The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD trieth the hearts." - Prov 17:3.  "Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins." - Psa 7:9.  

"Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy." - James 5:10-11

"[b]Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.  For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.  Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed[/b]" -Heb 12:1-13 (of course, we always beseech The Lord for HIS help, strength and grace at such times and always, Phil 4:13)

---------
" Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." - 1 Pet 4:12-13

"For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ." - 2 Cor 1:5
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by manmustwac(m): 5:37pm On Nov 11, 2011
Suffering has got nothing to do with god or any god for that matter. When you live in a country where your neighbours don't like to see you progress a girlfriend can poison you because of jealousy (this actually happened to my nephew cry). When a pastor would just pray for you while you die instead of using part of the tithes he collects from his own congregation to help a fellow member. Suffering is caused by man and not any god. So there's no point in asking (imaginary) god why there's suffering. You have to look at reality and deal with it like they do in developed countries.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by tpia5: 8:56pm On Nov 11, 2011
thats the reason God drew the attention of Satan in his life,most of his riches/treasures in his early days has some element of Satan in them.
If our blessings is mixed with some element of Satan,God will definitely strip them all out.

this seems to match the closing chapters of the book of Job.

very hard to handle however.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by chowbaby: 9:27pm On Nov 11, 2011
The deeper question would be what kind of God would allow his children to suffer, if you believe that this suffering is caused by God. Then one must think deeper to know that God is not some man in the sky looking down and picking and choosing who suffers. That would not make sense.

To live is to suffer. Life is full of good and bad, but only when one finds meaning in his suffering will he understand that all suffering if viewed correctly can lead to spiritual awakening and growth. The bible teaches this, but so does Islam, and Buddhism. Do not suffer just for the sake of suffering but allow that suffering to elevate your consciousness and spiritual life. Allow it to teach you how to be compassionate, forgiving, and joyful in all things. That is the purpose.
Re: Why Does God Allow His Children To Suffer? Let's Share by God2man(m): 8:44am On Nov 12, 2011
As children of God and indeed for a genuine relationship which endagers righteous and holy living, one of the key elements that cannot be discountenanced is suffering. And there are handful of lessons to learn in the process of walking through the crucible. Job did not see his adversity as an opportunity for patience and for letting God mould him, Job grew in resentment toward his creator. He shot his mind to the open possibilty that he could learn something of great spiritual and physical value from his suffering. Job's exprience explain why the righteous may go through discouraging and traumatic times and be tempted to resent God for not obviously and quickly intervening on their behalf. Like Job, we too can fail to understand that God sees far more than our physical eyes can comprehend. No matter how severe our trial is, we are not by any reason expected to assume that God is not listening or does not care. He is the Almighty God. God bless you. God2man.

(1) (Reply)

Dr Sign Fireman --- Confirmed A True Man Of God (documentary Seriously Editted) / How Did Life Begin? / King James Bible Is NOT The Best Translation & Catholic Influence ( Edited )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.