Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? (35569 Views)

Benefits Of Locust Beans Also Known As IRU / Do You Hate Or Love Locust Beans? / Vegetable soup with locust beans (efo Riro with Iru) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by bolorunfem(f): 8:59am On Sep 19, 2007
How Best Can I Preserve My Ground Melon And Locust Beans (Iru)?

Hey All,
Can anyone give me tips on how to preserve my ground melon? I've kept it refrigerated in the past and the taste changed (was pretty bad). I've kept it in an air-tight plastic and it grew fungi. Someone suggested I should mix it with some salt. Another said I should allow some air to penetrate. Am confused. Please help.

And with my 'iru', can I keep it in the freezer? I live in Naija where power supply is epileptic. And besides, the smell enters some other things in the fridge.What should I do to it? Thanks.
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by Bosdem(f): 9:13am On Sep 19, 2007
I think u should make the melon it into a paste with water and freeze, for ur locust bean, add salt to it and dry.
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by Seun(m): 9:18am On Sep 19, 2007
I think the main problem you're having is the epileptic power supply in your area.
(What's the point of refrigeration if you only have power 30% of the time?)

You can dry your egusi in the sun and then grind it dry. When you need to use it, you can soak it.

But you will have to refrigerate for your locust beans. Get a big nylon bag and divide your locust beans into small portions, each in a different small nylon bag. Each time you need locust beans, just take out one nylon bag. That way it'll last longer. But you need electricity. Source: family member who does a lot of cooking.
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by rowlandwhy: 10:14am On Sep 19, 2007
i dont think that u can in anyway preserve grinded melon.
I think the best option is the dry the ungrinded ones in the sun and grind the quantity u needs when the need arises.

I dont think i understand what u meant by locust beans.

1 Like

Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by Adedigold(f): 10:18am On Sep 19, 2007
In my own view i think the best way of preserving your locust bean is by putting it in covered bowl and put it inside the freezer. The ground melon should be kept in close nylon and refrigerated.

1 Like

Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by diyobdw(f): 12:03pm On Sep 19, 2007
4 locust bean, just add salt -whether it is in the fridge or not it is preserved[b] even the wet type[/b]
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by kolette(f): 3:05pm On Sep 19, 2007
What d fuccccccccccccccccck! i don't eat either so, i'm not interested. Melon or whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by rowlandwhy: 3:33pm On Sep 19, 2007
kolette:

What d fuccccccccccccccccck! i don't eat either so, i'm not interested. Melon or whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then what happens next,
why not peep and pass to the next thread rather than talking rubbish.?

11 Likes

Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by kolette(f): 3:46pm On Sep 19, 2007
Hey guy! rowlandwhy or whatever, why not save the bits and let's get your own contribution on the egusi and iru preservation stuff.
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by tomX1(m): 4:34pm On Sep 19, 2007
During my student days I used to preserve my grounded melon for weeks. How? Well just make sure that the mellon you choose for grinding is on the dry side. If you shell the seeds and bend any it should easily snap in two before it bends up to a 30 degree angle.
Grind the melon and wrap it loosely in a polyethene bag and store in air tigth plastic container to avoid excess moisture going in, and to avoid other contaminants. When you use, let a little air circulate through before you cover it up. Do not stor for more than two weeks (the taste tends to change if left too long).

I don't have a clue how to preserve Iru.
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by bolorunfem(f): 4:47pm On Sep 19, 2007
@Bosdem/Adedingold
NEPA won't allow me to freeze effectively. thanks all the same.

@ Seun, it's as if you knew I'd ask for the source of your information grin. I'd have wondered if you have time for any other thing (least of all, cook, and egusi/iru for that matter) grin grin beside 'Nairalanding' grin grin grin Thanks a bunch for your contribution. Will give it a try.

@rowlandswhy, Grinding lemon 'in bulk' is more economical than doing it peacemeal. Locust bean is otherwise called 'iru' in Yoruba and 'dawadawa' in Hausa. It's a kind of seed used in cooking many Yoruba soup like egusi, vegetable, ewedu etc. It's a native condiment used in place of maggi in those days. Has nice smell and taste and very good for the eye. Yes, it is! wink

@divobdw, thanks, I'll give your tip a try.

@ kolette, why don't u save ur breath? tongue angry
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by rowlandwhy: 6:57pm On Sep 19, 2007
kolette:

Hey guy! rowlandwhy or whatever, why not save the bits and let's get your own contribution on the egusi and iru preservation stuff.

U calabar girl cant u see my post?
rowlandwhy:

i don't think that u can in anyway preserve grinded melon.
I think the best option is the dry the ungrinded ones in the sun and grind the quantity u needs when the need arises.

I don't think i understand what u meant by locust beans.

I understand u are still jobless or looking for my trouble
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by whiteroses(f): 12:40am On Sep 20, 2007
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh seun be thinking, how will anyone dry food they'll eat outside when there are big juicy greenish-blue flies all over and it's not decent.lol
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by bolorunfem(f): 8:16am On Sep 20, 2007
I understand what Seun means. Here in Nigeria stuff like melon, yam (for elubo), maize, in short any kind of grains, even pepper can be dried in the sun before being ground into powder. Flies? I'm not sure they have any significant effect on them when dry, for instance, I have been eating amala (made from dried yam) since I was a baby and I have never for once been treated for any fly-borne disease as a result of that.
Re: How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? by kolette(f): 3:29pm On Sep 20, 2007
rowlandwhy:

I understand u are still jobless or looking for my trouble
Boy! i ain't looking for your trouble, you started it all. Talking about joblessness, it may please you to know that i'm comfortably seated in an air conditioned office with an internet cord attached to my laptop. You see, i'm not jobless ok.

(1) (Reply)

Meal On A Budget For Now Till Salary Enters. Turned Out Just D Way I Like It. / Pictures Of The Monitor Lizard I Killed In My Compound / Man Eating Himself To Death (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.