Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters (3555 Views)

Buhari Conferred With Equatorial Guinea's Highest National Honour / Why The N50 Charge By Fg Is Corruption In Itself / Nnamdi Kanu Charged With Treasonable Felony By FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by chino11(m): 3:58pm On Nov 11, 2011
Three days before the Nigeria government is due to confer a National Honour on Professor Chinua Achebe, a family source has told SaharaReporters that the nation’s most celebrated writer has yet to be informed of his nomination by the government.

According to the list of nominations published in Nigerian newspapers, the literary icon is to be honoured with the Commander of the Federal Republic (CFR), the same nomination he turned down several years ago, famously asserting that Nigeria's condition at that time under President Olusegun Obasanjo’s tenure, was “too dangerous for silence.”

Concluded Achebe in his letter to Obasanjo; “I must register my disappointment and protest by declining to accept the high honor awarded me in the 2004 Honors List.”

SaharaReporters attempted to confirm whether he would accept this year’s offer in what many consider to be considerably worse circumstances than in 2004, but our source said the writer, who is now at Brown University in Rhode Island, does not officially know anything about his award.

Should Professor Achebe accept the National Honour, he would be appearing in Nigeria at a time that it has developed considerably more intractable political, economic and security issues.  Corruption has become more visible, and President Jonathan, while preaching an anti-corruption dogma, has refused to declare his assets; the government is withdrawing petroleum subsidies; Nigeria is still largely in the dark, and Islamic militancy in the North has driven deep security fears into the heart of the administration.

Nigerians are also curious about the quality and placement of many of those who are to be honoured by Jonathan.   Businessman Aliko Dangote is being given the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON), Nigeria’s second highest honour, the first time it is being offered to someone other than a former occupant of the highest positions in the judiciary and the legislature.

Already, Femi Gbajabiamila, the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives has rejected his nomination for the Order of the Federation (OFR), questioning the criteria for nominations.  A report said the ACN representative from Lagos State is distancing himself because he objects to many of the characters on the list, and feels that the Honours must be reserved for Nigeria’s best rather than being treated as presidential largesse.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/national-honour-nominee-chinua-achebe-not-contacted-government
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by chino11(m): 3:59pm On Nov 11, 2011
Why would the great Achebe accept it at this time?
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by dayokanu(m): 4:01pm On Nov 11, 2011
Ok Achebe is following in Gbajabiamilas step.

Follow follow
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Godmann(m): 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2011
He should better do.

Nothing good will come from GEJ just like OBJ
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by asha80(m): 6:31pm On Nov 11, 2011
dayokanu:

Follow follow

more like the other way round
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 11, 2011
It makes sense if 75% of the recipients reject the "honor" that has been made a joke.

"May" is indefinite though.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Relax101(m): 7:21pm On Nov 11, 2011
dayokanu:

Follow follow

I think say this boy get sense self.
Every body that has rejected the National honour did it after Achebe rejected the honour when OBJ was president.
That his confused mor/on called femi Fani Kayode went to the press to say trash about Achebe but later apologized.
So it's the other way round mumu.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by hercules07: 7:25pm On Nov 11, 2011
Dayo, Achebe is a living legend and deserves to be respected, I am amazed at the fact that he wrote Things fall apart in his 30s, he is a genius and should be celebrated.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by 1025: 7:49pm On Nov 11, 2011
pls achebe leave these criminal occultic men to go with their honours because we all know that there is no honour among thieves.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by aljharem(m): 7:58pm On Nov 11, 2011
Achebe is One man a respect from the east of river Niger. If anything at all, he is in the same league as Sanusi, raochas and fashola.

The award became rubbished when GEJ started adding actors and co to a National award.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by asha80(m): 8:00pm On Nov 11, 2011
alj harem:

Achebe is One man a respect from the east of river Niger. If anything at all, he is in the same league as Sanusi, raochas and fashola.

The award became rubbished when GEJ started adding actors and co to a National award.

erm what did he do for the respect?i thought you seem him as a visionless guy?
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by aljharem(m): 8:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
asha 80:

erm what did he do for the respect?i thought you seem him as a visionless guy?

erm, are you talking about roachas ?

If so then I respect him because he is a philanthropist and these days it is hard to come by any philanthropist
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by chino11(m): 8:19am On Nov 12, 2011
^^

Your stance lacks proper research and intelligence. How on earth will you ever classify the great Achebe with the likes of Sanusi, Rochas and Fashola. Its an insult to the psyche of world to ever place Achebe the most influential African icon side by side with such mediocres and rogues. I thought you have been revived.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by ak47mann(m): 8:25am On Nov 12, 2011
u cant revive aboki cool
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by kasiem(m): 8:30am On Nov 12, 2011
Chino, kedu ije? Keekwa nke inafu acho ikpali onwe site na igwa nama afu okwu?
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by PointB: 8:31am On Nov 12, 2011
Achebe is in his own league. No one in Nigeria dead or living comes close!
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by chino11(m): 8:32am On Nov 12, 2011
ak47mann:

u cant revive aboki cool

Am sure the guy is dazed grin grin
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by chino11(m): 8:40am On Nov 12, 2011
kasiem:

Chino, kedu ije? Keekwa nke inafu acho ikpali onwe site na igwa nama afu okwu?

Nwanne mu kasie. Adim mma, Atimes this guy goes out of grip. lol. Kedu kwanu ka ime?
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by T8ksy(m): 12:44pm On Nov 12, 2011
PointB:

Achebe is in his own league. No one in Nigeria dead or living comes close!

YEAH, RIGHT!!

chino11:

,  . . . . . . . .to ever place Achebe the most influential African icon side by side with such mediocres and rogues. I thought you have been revived.

Abi ojare! Tell dem make dem hear. grin

Most influential african ke? Nothing man no go read for dis our nigerian forum sef.

Just waiting for the next poster to claim that Achebe is the most influential black man, EVER!
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by OkparaIgbo: 1:55pm On Nov 12, 2011
T8ksy:

YEAH, RIGHT!!

Abi ojare! Tell dem make dem hear. grin

Most influential african ke? Nothing man no go read for dis our nigerian forum sef.

Just waiting for the next poster to claim that Achebe is the most influential black man, EVER!

Stop the Ignorance would you, !! http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/10/africas-most-influential-celebrity-author-chinua-achebe.html
The most Influential African.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 12, 2011
r
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Ufeolorun(m): 2:35pm On Nov 12, 2011
If he accepts my perception of him will be confirmed, i am waiting. cool
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Vicrobor(m): 2:36pm On Nov 12, 2011
there is nothing honorable about those awards
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Ajillo: 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2011
Let me see if anything has changed between last time and now to make Achebe accept the award.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2011
Think for me too
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Kilode1: 4:16pm On Nov 12, 2011
Enough Respect for Baba Achebe anyday. Great Man.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 12, 2011
how can the center hold with the rot within?
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by T8ksy(m): 4:48pm On Nov 12, 2011
OkparaIgbo:

Stop the Ignorance would you, !! http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/10/africas-most-influential-celebrity-author-chinua-achebe.html
The most Influential African.

okay o but i refuse to buy that cr.ap from forbes.

He's certainly a great man and one of the few nigerian septugarians that i respect (and there is only a handful that "pass

through this needle's eye), Achebe is definately not the most influential African EVER.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by kasiem(m): 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2011
Aregberascal is the most influential african slapper, do u agree?
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by T8ksy(m): 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2011
kasiem:

Aregberascal is the most influential african slapper, do u agree?

Sorry, not in the mood for your juvenile antics, today. I have said what i have to say.

Hang in there, your co-travellers will soon come on board.
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by Onlytruth(m): 6:38pm On Nov 12, 2011
Posted by: hercules07

Dayo, Achebe is a living legend and deserves to be respected, I am amazed at the fact that he wrote Things fall apart in his 30s, he is a genius and should be celebrated.

I believe he wrote Things Fall Apart at the age of 27.
That was in 1958.

It means he is 80 this year (unless I'm wrong).
Re: Achebe May Reject The National Honour By FG - SaharaReporters by renewnaija(m): 9:14pm On Nov 12, 2011
T8ksy:

okay o but i refuse to buy that cr.ap from forbes.

He's certainly a great man and one of the few nigerian septugarians that i respect (and there is only a handful that "pass

through this needle's eye), Achebe is definately not the most influential African EVER.

Dude, your opinion does not matter. It cannot even make any difference. What is, is. You have just been educated about Achebe & instead of you to take it in good faith, learn & move on, you are diverting & giving an unwanted opinion.

On the topic, Achebe should reject it. There is no difference in the 'ruling powers' under Obj & GEJ.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Financial Crisis Hits Oil Marketers / Benjamin Adekunle:all Soldiers Will Go To Hell / Buhari Disgraces Nigeria Again On Foreign Media (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.