Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,798 members, 7,802,559 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:19 PM

Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge (79330 Views)

Best Gifts For Your Family Under $150 / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Great9ja: 9:51am On Nov 12, 2011
I WILL BE PART OF THIS CONTRIBUTION IF WE CAN FIND A WAY OHN HOW WE CAN REACH THIS FAMILIES, LIFE IS NOT EASY, AS THE MAN HIMSELF IS CONFUSED.
THE POSTER SHOULD TRY TO VERIFIED NEXT STEP PLS
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by delpee(f): 9:51am On Nov 12, 2011
Would be glad to contribute if someone trustworthy can organise this with Seuns supervision.  NLanders should have a positive impact on lives and do less of e-tribal wars.

Apart from getting them a room in an affordable and sustainable place, we could encourage the man to learn a trade and assist the woman to set up a line of business. Seems to me that all they need is a little support to raise them up. sad sad
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 12, 2011
Sending and donating money is just a temporary help, as sweet as that sounds on paper.
They need jobs and a year supply of condoms. That will surely go a long way.

Pity party does not help anyone in the long run.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by usewisdom: 9:55am On Nov 12, 2011
You see what i've been saying. If we talk, some will say we're talking rubish. You guys can read now abi. Some jobless will sitdown and talking rubish that Nigeria is better than western world. Are u telling me this would happen in UK, US, Canada or any developed country?  At least the government will asist him. no matter how worse it is, he would be given help, even if its small. he would not be there for a whole 2 years.

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by daywatcher: 9:56am On Nov 12, 2011
Is it necessary for him return to his village? Or would any village that they can afford to get to suffice?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 12, 2011
But then life itself is temporary, so even 'temporary' help goes a long way. This is a simple couple, with simple needs. I don't think it would take much to restore their dignity. Even if succour or respite is shortlived, it is no less worthwhile. One needs to have pity on the less fortunate cos, think about it, that child in the couple's arms could so easily have been any one of us.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 12, 2011
pro01:

This is heart-wrenching stuff. And they look like a sane, normal couple. I ply that route (along the Oshodi-Apapa expressway) fairly often, and I'm quite familiar with the bridge in question. Just don't know if I can go there to look for them, could be dangerous with miscreants and hoodlums possibly hiding in every crevice around that zone. I don't think it's fair to be indulging oneself with needless luxuries when there are terribly misfortunate folks like this around us. Life oh life.

On point!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Johndoe100(m): 10:20am On Nov 12, 2011
The man is a lazy azz. There is work everywhere in lagos. There are construction sites, porters at mile 12 market, i could go on. He wants a certain kind of job. Anyway you guys outside Nigeria can believe that 3 people use 60 naira to buy food in a day, we here know that that is just BS. THere is a lot that is not being said. Why have they not been moveds on by the council or by WAI? Why has the wife not been raped by the alaye boys in the night?
I would be careful if I where you b4 getting involed with these people.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by sheyguy: 11:01am On Nov 12, 2011
it is not a must to live in Lagos y-not relocate to a rural community and make a decent life 4 demselves there
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Afam4eva(m): 11:03am On Nov 12, 2011
Abi oo. I wonder why people who obviously have no source of livelihood in lagos will remain there when they have houses and are comfortable in their village.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by natasha: 11:06am On Nov 12, 2011
i empathise with this family however why get your wife knocked up and seek sympathy? Havent they heard of contraception/Family planning Seriously, they have no roof over their heads, no steady income, a child to feed and then you get your wife pregnant AGAIN?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by badmrkt(m): 11:27am On Nov 12, 2011
natasha:

i empathise with this family however why get your wife knocked up and seek sympathy? Havent they heard of contraception/Family planning Seriously, they have no roof over their heads, no steady income, a child to feed and then you get your wife pregnant AGAIN?
and what if the woman insists they most have another child?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by natasha: 11:32am On Nov 12, 2011
And who is the head of the home? the man or woman?? if the woman desires to have another child when she clearly can barely afford to take care of herself and/or the child on ground then the husband should talk to her as the head. if they both agreed on expanding their brood then they shouldnt ask other people to help aid their ever enlarging family.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yme1(f): 11:36am On Nov 12, 2011
Okay am I the only one who read about the snake part or what? shocked for that snake part alone I don disappear
Lord please remember them
P.S, Bringing a second child to this sickening circumstance is notjustok.com
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by eros(m): 11:43am On Nov 12, 2011
Lagos na wa oooo. Why can't they relocate to the village and make something of their lives there. But come to think of it, this guy can actually get a job, he is just not ready to get one, but would rather make excuses. There is never room for excuses, it is the responsibility of every man to work and provide for his family.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by noiseless: 12:33pm On Nov 12, 2011
Heartless and ignorant devilish nigerians,just listen to yourselves what a shameful mentality,as if even your so called villages there are no people facing with worse situations like that.Now everyone is jumping to call the man lazy,what is the sense in these attacks directed to this couple, while you keep hailing those who brought this country to it's knee by stacking away the funds supposed to use in making the living standards less than this hostile in this country in their foreign bank accounts,or those ex heads of state and their employee ministers and state governors who in their greedy and selfish manners liquidated most companies or sold the rest to themselves and to their friends.SHAME AGAIN THAT IT'S ALWAYS THE VICTIMS WHO GETS EASY BASHING FROM YOU LOTS IGNORANT BUNCH OF PEOPLE.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Kolababa: 12:54pm On Nov 12, 2011
Where is the government then?
Both federal, state or local government. They are all useless.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by no1madman(m): 1:25pm On Nov 12, 2011
poverty is an understatement. . . .
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by violent(m): 1:33pm On Nov 12, 2011
This is clearly the point where i will reiterate that if you are an individual who pays tithes to churches where Pastors make it a priority to buy jets than help these unfortunate ones that have been left to fall through the gap, what you are practicing is called idiocy!

That asides, does anyone know of anywhere someone could obtain a list of known charities in Nigeria and how they've contributed to the society?  I understand there are quite a million of those, half of which are probably fraudulent.  It will however help to study the activities of the reputable ones and maybe work with their sponsors to fashion out a way to solve problems of the clearly less fortunate families or people.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by coogar: 1:36pm On Nov 12, 2011
violent:

I still don't get why someone who couldn't afford to house his family would even contemplate bringing another baby into this world.

so what do you advise? he should manually castrate himself or what?

he is jobless for bleeps' sake and if he is struggling to raise just 200 naira, i doubt he can afford contraceptives or condoms.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by violent(m): 1:50pm On Nov 12, 2011
coogar:

so what do you advise? he should manually castrate himself or what?

he is jobless for bleeps' sake and if he is struggling to raise just 200 naira, i doubt he can afford contraceptives or condoms.

so what do you advise?  he should keep seeding his wife each time he gets a bo[i]n[/i]er? 

for bleeps' sake, I doubt condoms cost very much in Lagos, and even if they do, i doubt raising a child is a cheaper alternative
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by natasha: 1:59pm On Nov 12, 2011
all i know is CONTRACEPTION IS CHEAPER THAN A BABY. simples!!! If you want to prove you are a man, then take care of your family not by begging others to take care of them for ya
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by coogar: 2:04pm On Nov 12, 2011
natasha:

all i know is CONTRACEPTION IS CHEAPER THAN A BABY. simples!!! If you want to prove you are a man, then take care of your family not by begging others to take care of them for ya

this man struggled to raise $1.50. where will he get the money to buy contraceptives?
should he steal?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by natasha: 2:08pm On Nov 12, 2011
the coil - which lasts for 5 years costs 200 naira to fit in most antenatal clinics. some military clinics actually fit it for free. i am certain if the man and his wife made an effort to locate a clinic and explained their situation, they would fit one for them.
It is a shame to this man, most of all inexplicable that he chooses to bring in a defenceless suffering child to this world knowing he hasnt got the finances to cater for the child's need, IMO thats the height of irresponsibility
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by coogar: 2:13pm On Nov 12, 2011
natasha:

the coil - which lasts for 5 years costs 200 naira to fit in most antenatal clinics. some military clinics actually fit it for free. i am certain if the man and his wife made an effort to locate a clinic and explained their situation, they would fit one for them.
It is a shame to this man, most of all inexplicable that he chooses to bring in a defenceless suffering child to this world knowing he hasnt got the finances to cater for the child's need, IMO thats the height of irresponsibility

it probably took the man a month to raise the 200 naira to fix his abode under that bridge. and the coil you are talking about cannot be 200 naira in the lagos i know. 200 naira? they will ask them to register in the hospital so they can open a file for the wife. they will conduct various blood tests/urine tests and before you can spell winehouse, the bill is 1000 naira.

it's irresponsible for this man to bring another child to the world but his hands were tied. even if he could afford to buy condoms for a night, what about the other nights? it's only when nigerians see this story on thr web that they go awwwwww. half of the posters here might have met this man on the road and ignored his plea.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yamakuza: 2:23pm On Nov 12, 2011
natasha:

it has happened, it has happened.

How do we prevent a 3rd pregnancy?

I wouldnt employ him in his current state.

Someone has to "clean him up" first.

WHO?

btw, that your NGO can start from here
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by tpia5: 2:24pm On Nov 12, 2011
I so think social services should get involved.

To the best of my knowledge, there should be a dept around somewhere.

Family welfare shouldnt only be handling child support alone- i think their scope should also cover cases like these where the man is having problems putting his family under a roof and feeding them.

In the long run, what he needs is a job that can help him secure a livable income.

I hope there isnt more to this story because its just so disturbing.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 12, 2011
In theory, it seems like sheer wickedness to bring a child into this world to face untold hardship despite knowing your poor situation. But then things don't work that way in practice. There is some sort of fulfilment and inspiration that a child brings for such poor parents. (misery loves company, or so the saying goes). Besides, such extreme poverty often goes hand in hand with ignorance and disorientation. It's hard to think straight and rationally when you live under a bridge with snakes and rodents.

@ Violent, you're damn right. Only a buffoon would donate money to a pastor living a luxurious life, with top of the range private jets, automobiles and mansions - in spite of the suffering all around us. It is really shameful and downright obnoxious. Do you know how many destitutes the cost of a single private jet (in for example, Oyedepo's fleet) can get off the streets permanently? Smh.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by whirlwind7(m): 3:40pm On Nov 12, 2011
redsquare:

Must everybody live in Lagos? Why not go back to his village and start farming? Lagos ko, Eko ni, mschewwwww

you probably didn't read the full post, the part he said he doesn't know where he hails from cos he was born and raised in Lagos. Of course, that is something disgusting from a full-blooded man. Giving financial aid would be just a temporary relief. He is probably not educated, and didn't bother to acquire any form of vocational skill. That is reprehensible for someone who was born and bred in a city such as Lagos, where survival is for the fit, AND HE IS FIT! It is easy to feel sympathy for him, but pity can only go such a long way. He needs to get his shit together and be a real father to his child and a husband to his wife. ACQUIRE A SKILL THAT CAN EARN A DECENT LIVING! The services of carpenters, cobblers, tailors, electricians, plumbers, auto mechanics and the likes are always in demand. I can only conclude that he is lazy, clueless, or both. Maybe unlucky? Well, everyone makes his own luck and creates chances for himself.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by kings112(m): 3:47pm On Nov 12, 2011
The typical example of POORVERTY
i wish i could help them wit but i cant.
But the thing wey vex me here b say: the man go giv the wife bele again.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2011
How u take know?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Sending and donating money is just a temporary help, as sweet as that sounds on paper.
They need jobs and a year supply of condoms. That will surely go a long way.

Pity party does not help anyone in the long run.

True, but a leg up can do wonders for feeling encouraged and hopeful and to start the ball rolling.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply)

'A Man Who Lives In This Kind Of Apartment Shouldn't Be Thinking Of Marriage' / Christmas Package A Mother-In-Law Gifted To Her Daughter-In-Law (Photos) / My Mother Is Seeing Other Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.