Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,111 members, 7,807,354 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? (4508 Views)

See The Grammatical Blunder Of The Nigerian Police Force / Does The Loud Sound Of A Person Chewing Gum Irritate You? / What Are Your Pet Peeves, Phobias And Things That Irritate You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 7:44pm On Nov 11, 2011
as for me, hell yeah! especially when its:
1. a girl
2. an NLder
the sad part is, u can't correct 'em cos peeps take offense! even when peeps use shorthand and commit, i hate it!!! i have a roommate that can't utter 3 sentences without "gbagauning" and it irks me alot! many NLders do it too, won't mention names though!! so how about u?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Afam4eva(m): 7:45pm On Nov 11, 2011
Gbagauns in what language?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 7:54pm On Nov 11, 2011
English!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Afam4eva(m): 7:55pm On Nov 11, 2011
English is not my language so i can gbagaun as much as i like. It's allowed. the most important thing is that i get to pass a message across. I'm not in for an english competition with anyone.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by r231(m): 8:01pm On Nov 11, 2011
undecided
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 8:17pm On Nov 11, 2011
r231:

undecided
adesegun, why do u always post that emoticon
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by zibe(m): 9:23pm On Nov 11, 2011
It irritates me only when the person is trying so hard to prove that he/she can speak flawless english, only to enter the gbagaun version.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by r231(m): 9:26pm On Nov 11, 2011
IbroSaunks:

good question. . . .

hold on let me consult the orakle grin grin
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Freiburger(m): 9:44pm On Nov 11, 2011
IbroSaunks:
l
2. an NLder
Is that English or spanish?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Odunnu: 9:57pm On Nov 11, 2011
None of the above
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by filibust: 11:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
Hey!

It's most natural for individuals who speak and have strong interest for impeccable English Vocab. to feel touched when they sense any air of blunder.

However, speaking flawless English no bi small thing o!

I put straight @ you folks here, you can't speak for 10minutes without flopping.

Hmmm! Wanna take up the challenge?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by tpia5: 3:23am On Nov 12, 2011
they only irritate me if the speakers are too lazy to improve their spoken english.

if it's not intentional then i dont have a problem with it.

after all, my grandmas didnt speak english though one spoke broken.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by tpia5: 3:25am On Nov 12, 2011
i dont think a young person who passed through the four walls of an educational institution [especially a tertiary one], should be typing all kinds of ibons and think it's cool.

it's not.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by manny4life(m): 3:47am On Nov 12, 2011
Freiburger:

Is that English or spanish?

Damn bro, you beat me to it grin grin

Sample case of pot calling kettle black shocked shocked shocked
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by iice(f): 4:00am On Nov 12, 2011
tpia@:

they only irritate me if the speakers are too lazy to improve their spoken english.

Me too.

But text lingo irritate me more.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 6:08am On Nov 12, 2011
IbroSaunks:

dude that's the T9 on my phones fault, and i cant disable it!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 6:13am On Nov 12, 2011
i can swear even if i gbagaun, i can't make such a silly mistake.
its not as if i hound anybody that gbagauns and all, its people like my roommate that can't make 3 statements without doing it and is in his 2nd year that piss me off. no one is above mistake, even programs (like my T9) make erratas.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 6:16am On Nov 12, 2011
the post before the previous is for @freiburger.
i can go 3 hours without commiting , all have to do is speak concisely and slow things down a bit. not to brag, but i used to debate and i do presentations too that may not have been impeccable, but weren't marred with grammatical flaws.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Freiburger(m): 7:17am On Nov 12, 2011
iice:

Me too.

But text lingo irritate me more.

Or irritate[b]s[/b] me?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 7:30am On Nov 12, 2011
@freiburger, i want to correct my T9, where's the modify button please, i can't see it,
also, why do peeps take offense when u correct em? most people see it as disrespectful, which is really wrong. why aren't people more open-minded?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 7:34am On Nov 12, 2011
tpia@:

i dont think a young person who passed through the four walls of an educational institution [especially a tertiary one], should be typing all kinds of ibons and think it's cool.

it's not.

seriously man, spot on!
tpia@:

after all, my grandmas didnt speak english though one spoke broken.

u totally get me!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by razznaija(f): 8:40am On Nov 12, 2011
yels it dos, reely it dos wink
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by eghost247(m): 8:41am On Nov 12, 2011
why should it irritate you that is just nonsense its not even your native language,
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 8:52am On Nov 12, 2011
eghost247:

why should it irritate you that is just nonsense its not even your native language,
cos they teach us English from kindergarten to 1st year uni ,, but some people still don't gerrit , grin
razznaija:

yels it dos, reely it dos wink
i lurfv yhue tew, grin grin
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by honeric01(m): 9:15am On Nov 12, 2011
IbroSaunks:

a[/b]s for me, hell yeah! especially when its:
1. [b]a
girl
2. an NLder
t[/b]he sad part is, u can't correct '[b]e[/b]m cos peeps take offense! even when peeps use shorthand and commit, [b]i hate it!!! i have a roommate that can't utter 3 sentences without "gbagauning" and it irks me alot! many NLders do it too, won't mention names though!! so how about u?

When you were in school, did you not learn never to start a sentence with a small letter or is that also not part of grammatical error?

Always write I in capital letter and never with small letter

When you're trying to correct anyone in English language, never you use slang, short words or abbreviation, they do not represent English language. Now go back to school, you ain't worth the role you are trying to tick to.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 12, 2011
I've always thought it was "an Nler" tho. Just think about it, it even sounds more professional.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 9:25am On Nov 12, 2011
honeric01:

When you were in school, did you not learn never to start a sentence with a small letter or is that also not part of grammatical error?

Always write I in capital letter and never with small letter

When you're trying to correct anyone in English language, never you use slang, short words or abbreviation, they do not represent English language. Now go back to school, you ain't worth the role you are trying to tick to.
umm, its nairaland not a newspaper! i know all these things ur telling me! take a look at the title of the thread, did it start with upper or lower case? funny enough, if i was using my laptop, i woulda donnit all, cos that's easier, but with my fone, ill do it this way thank u! heck im not trying to assume any role, er'body makes mistakes, but like what t_pia said, some people don't even try to make it right, and do it alot. it is them this thread is for! dude im even in an editorial committee, and even with that, i welcome criticism anyday, anytime. but not this one bro, not this!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by honeric01(m): 9:31am On Nov 12, 2011
IbroSaunks:

umm, its nairaland not a newspaper! i know all these things your telling me! take a look at the title of the thread, did it start with upper or lower case? funny enough, if i was using my laptop, i woulda donnit all, cos that's easier, but with my fone, ill do it this way thank u! heck im not trying to assume any role, er'body makes mistakes, but like what t_pia said, some people don't even try to make it right, and do it alot. it is them this thread is for! dude im even in an editorial committee, and even with that, i welcome criticism anyday, anytime. but not this one bro, not this!

You should have waited till you got on your computer before setting up a thread like this, infact you're repeating the same thing, starting a sentence with a small letter, correct yourself.

I thought phones also come with CAP locks? are there no capital letters on your phone or you are too lazy to switch?

If you know you ain't an editorial committee, why then bother about how others type?

If you can't take criticisms, then you are not worth giving one either.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 9:32am On Nov 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I've always thought it was "an Nler" tho. Just think about it, it even sounds more professional.
. the thing is, when i was typing this, my mind was saying nairalander , but typing on a touchscreen fone can be annoying so i shortened. but if pronounced as nler, its a vowel sound so it applies, so u r right after all, gosh if i could just find my modem all this won't be happening!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by honeric01(m): 9:34am On Nov 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

How does an nler sound to your ears? more professional? now we have a problem lol

A Nler is more formal and professional, no sugar-coating.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 9:38am On Nov 12, 2011
honeric01:

You should have waited till you got on your computer before setting up a thread like this, infact you're repeating the same thing, starting a sentence with a small letter, correct yourself.

I thought phones also come with CAP locks? are there no capital letters on your phone or you are too lazy to switch?

If you know you ain't an editorial committee, why then bother about how others type?

If you can't take criticisms, then you are not worth giving one either.
im doing it on purpose now! and my fone no get am, wetin i go do?
i said im in an editorial committee, didn't say im not.
i accept it, just not this one.
can't find my modem!
i can't, it isn't comfortable!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 9:59am On Nov 12, 2011
honeric01:

How does an nler sound to your ears? [b]m[/b]ore professional?[b]n[/b]ow we have a problem lol

A Nler is more formal and professional, no sugar-coating.
Just because I'm a nice guy, I'll leave you to stew on why I bolded those letters!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman With The Longest Hair / Happy Birthday To Uj_sizzle / How You Can Use The Free Mtn Opera Mini To Power Other Apps.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.