Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,876 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:42 AM

Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 (6580 Views)

Oshiomhole Increases Minimum Wage To N25,000 / NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by aljharem(m): 12:35am On Nov 13, 2011
C-river To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N 10,000

BY JOHNBOSCO AGBAKWURU,  Calabar
There are indication sthat the Cross River State government will not continue the payment of N18. 000 to its workforce, rather it may pay N10, 000, following the dwindling fortune of the state resources.

Investigation by Saturday Vanguard revealed that the government and its workforce were back to the negotiating table over payment of the N18,000 minimum wage. Governor Liyel Imoke was among the first governors that accepted to pay the new federal government recommended minimum wage which has attracted commendation to him from the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC.

A labour leader who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of victimization, at the governor’s office alleged that the state government has set in motion a machinery to reduce the new minimum wage to N10,000.

The leader said he alongside other labour leaders were invited to the governor’s office last Thursday to dialogue with the state government on how this could be realized without workers resisting it as they are already enjoying the new minimum wage introduced by the Federal Government.

According to him, the meeting was chaired by the deputy governor Mr. Efiok Cobham and the government’s plan was fully revealed but the unionists denounced the move describing it as wicked and capable of disrupting the industrial peace being enjoyed in the state.

At the end of the meeting, negotiators from labour came out with long faces from the office of the deputy governor but Cobham could not be reached for comment and no official statement was made as it was suppose to be top secret for now.

However, one of the labour leaders said both the NLC, and the Trade Union Congress, TUC, were ready to exploit all options available to them to resist the planned reduction of the N18,000 minimum wage.

“How can this be possible? Government commenced payment of the N18, 000 new minimum wage in August and now wants to review it downward when every worker now makes his or her budget based on the new pay”, the trade unionist said.

According to him, “this can not be possible and we have told government our mind. In order not to incur our wrath, government should forget the idea in its entirety”.

He maintained that it is unheard of in any place in the world to increase the salary of workers for one month only to start negotiations the following month for its downward review and advised government to drop the plan in view of the high cost of living in the country.

“Politicians are busy amassing wealth, buying cars, building sky scrapers why should the little stipends of the workers be reviewed downwards.

“If there should be any downward review, it should be the salaries of the politicians so that our God given wealth will go round”, they said.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/c-river-to-cut-n18000-minimum-wage/
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by gists: 1:03am On Nov 13, 2011
Only in Naija. Why comit to sumtin you can't sustain? I guess he they  (I kind of get a feeling many more govs will default in payin) had to make the empty promise just to buy time till after elections.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by ektbear: 4:52am On Nov 13, 2011
hm
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by kholis(m): 3:10pm On Nov 14, 2011
A deceptive plan by Nigeria Governors Forum. Many many more states will decline. What a shame!
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Kx: 3:17pm On Nov 14, 2011
This is sad.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by gregg2: 3:41pm On Nov 14, 2011
But why should civil servants & political office holders
consume 85% of our national budget?

What about we that do not work for government?
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Reference(m): 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2011
Great news. I think we are gradually reaching a tipping point here and I suggest all other states and LGA's who will not do it should say so.

One, I've always regarded collective bargaining as nonsense. No one earns the same so no one should pay the same.

Second, I feel that labour is wrong for thrusting inflation on the rest 95% of the populace.

Third, I haven't heard or seen any doubling of public service productivity in the last month nor is there any credible demand for that.

Fifth. If the NLC feels it can decouple from the rest of Nigeria it should accept the breaking of its ranks.

Lastly it is great for good governance. Now the gov. has to be more transparent, accountable and prudent with the piggy bank. So your Excellency how 'bout your private jet or Cross-Riverians will have you for supper.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by kings112(m): 4:00pm On Nov 14, 2011
A whole niger delta state dat is sopoz 2 pay more than 18000.
Just tek a look at my imo state, rochas pay 20 000 as minimum wej.
A round of aplos 4 owele rochas.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by kings112(m): 4:03pm On Nov 14, 2011
gregg2:

But why should civil servants & political office holders
consume 85% of our national budget?

What about we that do not work for government?
who know you?
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by rolchi(m): 4:08pm On Nov 14, 2011
kings112:

grin grin grin Owelle RAO will soon default! grin grin grin
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by MSBOOBS: 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2011
The taxes he makes from various quarries in the state, banks, tank farms etc, plus the jet he just aquired.

He should do more than 18k,
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 14, 2011
This man is just there plundering my state and working at snail speed. Thank God Don Duke has set a standard he can't even dream of reaching.

He can't pay 18,000 yet he acquired a private jet with state funds. It pains my heart that this snail is the one incharge.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Goldcon: 5:30pm On Nov 14, 2011
Owelle RAO will soon default!
If care is not taken. Owelle is just "dashing" money out. We all know he is a great philantrophist but good governance is not about sharing money.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by egift(m): 5:41pm On Nov 14, 2011
The biggest scam of President Jonathan:
"Putting up a Minimum Wage plan just to win election. With no plans to implement it"
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by renewnaija(m): 5:50pm On Nov 14, 2011
Governor Imoke has failed us.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by lafuria1(m): 5:53pm On Nov 14, 2011
the govt bribed NLC wt minimum wage b4 d elections and nw wats hapanin. Y give pple false hope. N18,000 minimum wage and remove subsidy or N9800 wt subsidy, take one.
Mehn dis bad.
Let d U.S cum and fight corruption instead of bokoharam.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by lafuria1(m): 5:57pm On Nov 14, 2011
who d hell changed my 'come' 2 'precipitate'
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by onyebaba(m): 6:16pm On Nov 14, 2011
Dat sleepin Guv'nor Liyel Imoke had neva implemented d 18k tok more of cuttin back. He bribed d NLC n NULGE in dat state in oda 2 calm d brewin protest 4rm workers. We aint gat balls in dat state. Little wonda why OUK called us a state inhabited by 'millipedes'. Mtceew, smh!
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Goldcon: 6:55pm On Nov 14, 2011
Third, I haven't heard or seen any doubling of public service productivity in the last month nor is there any credible demand for that.
I like 4 workers, not just civil servants to be paid well according to their labour and efforts. In the case of NLC all what we hear about is "minimum wage increse", noboby talks about better service delivery, better approach to work etc.

Civil servants are still very nonchallant about their job. many of them come to work by 9 10 am, close by 1pm (fr lunch), Gross delay in work/service delivery etc.
Clamour for better pay should be followed with better service.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:01pm On Nov 14, 2011
Instead of reducing minimum wage, reduce the maximum wage for govt workers
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by auwal87(m): 7:19pm On Nov 14, 2011
Then why should someone come and invest when the government is deceiving and lying to its own people.

They should have economic analysis before approving at first.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Johnpaul2k2(m): 7:24pm On Nov 14, 2011
i laugh grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by SSaemoenl(m): 7:30pm On Nov 14, 2011
After HE bought the Helicopter, May be the State Is Broke to pay salaries. Sucks FULL time our stupidity.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by gascoign1(m): 9:23pm On Nov 14, 2011
for real
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by otokx(m): 10:27pm On Nov 14, 2011
Is this not the same guy that got a national awards and had the effrontery to open his mouth and call god. What a shame?
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by 2goodbobo(m): 10:59pm On Nov 14, 2011
how much is 18,000Naira that they cant pay? please this governors should cut workers some slack. if only they can cut down corruption, the issue of not been able to pay 18k
wont have arise.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Limaoscar: 11:35pm On Nov 14, 2011
After HE bought the Helicopter, May be the State Is Broke to pay salaries. Sucks FULL time our stupidity.

He did,

That fellow is a confirmed criminal. I hear the Calabar-Ikom-Ogoja Road "doesn't exist" anymore. So if you were going on a visit to the prestigious Obudu cattle ranch, God help you.

He claims it's a federal government road and so will not commit a dime to at least revamp that road which is the State's major economic Umbilical.

At least fix the road and get the money back. but He won't . Now folks have to travel half-way through ebonyi state because of an unbelivable impassable road.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by FEMARY1: 11:58pm On Nov 14, 2011
I think CR is one the oil producing state?

Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by aurenflani: 12:05am On Nov 15, 2011
good for d calabaris - they sided with d pdp because of gej - now let him come to their rescue. he he he,
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Maximip(m): 5:22am On Nov 15, 2011
Why can't he just fire half of them and make each work 2ce as much cos last time I checked, they just sit around and
gist all day.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Rastamann: 6:15am On Nov 15, 2011
This is to enable the idiots governor and his guys have much more to embezzle.
Re: Cross River State To Cut Back The Minimum Wage To N10,000 by Jenifa1: 6:19am On Nov 15, 2011
i'm ambivalent about this.
High minimum wage usually leads to high unemployment. maybe that's what they're fearful of.

I wish they would institute a maximum wage though grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mallam Umar Garba Chiza: PDP Youth Leader At Sixty! / 15 Most Powerful People In Nigeria / Photo: Buhari Using N30 Milo Sachet For Breakfast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.