Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,899 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves (15438 Views)

Footage Of Ghaddafi In His Last Moments Getting Beat Up. Disturbing / Britain Gives The Go Ahead To Murder Ghaddafi / Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by na2day(m): 6:50pm On Nov 13, 2011
[size=13pt][center]Rival Libyan militias clash near military base[/center][/size]

WARSHEFANA, Libya (AP) — Rival militias clashed on the outskirts of the Libyan capital for a fourth day Sunday in the deadliest and most sustained violence since the capture and killing of Moammar Gadhafi last month.

The fighting, which has killed at least 13 people since late last week, raised new concerns about the ability of Libya's transitional government to disarm thousands of fighters and restore order after an eight-month civil war.

Libya's interim leader, Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, said his National Transitional Council brought together elders from the feuding areas — the coastal city of Zawiya and the nearby tribal lands of Warshefana — over the weekend and that the dispute has been resolved. "I want to assure the Libyan people that everything is under control," he said Sunday.

However, as he spoke, fighting continued.

Heavy gunfire and explosions of rocket-propelled grenades were heard over hours Sunday in the area between the Warshefana lands, about 18 miles (30 kilometers) west of Tripoli, and Zawiya, another 10 miles (15 kilometers) to the west. White smoke rose into the air.

At one point, the two sides were battling for control of a major military camp of the ousted regime, said a fighter from Tripoli. The camp, once a base of elite forces commanded by one of Gadhafi's sons, Khamis, is located on a highway midway between Tripoli and Zawiya.

In all, at least 13 people were killed in the fighting, including four from Zawiya and nine from Warshefana, according to gunmen and a hospital doctor in Warshefana. More than 100 people from Warshefana were wounded since Saturday, said Dr. Mohammed Sawan, adding that casualties stemmed from gunshots as well as shrapnel from rockets and mortar shells.

The reason for the initial clash remains unclear, though accusations have been flying, including that some of the Warshefana had links to the old regime. At one point last week, fighters from Zawiya entered Warshefana and seized weapons. In retaliation, Warshefana fighters set up random checkpoints and fired at the main highway.

On Sunday evening, dozens of Warshefana fighters assembled and said they would march on Zawiya. "We'll be in Zawiya tonight," they chanted before moving toward the city, armed with assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades.

Zawiya fighters, meanwhile, manned roadblocks on the outskirts of their city at intervals of about 200 yards (meters). Groups of jumpy armed men, some brandishing RPGs, crowded around the checkpoints. Fighters searched trunks of cars and checked IDs.

Abdul-Jalil said the NTC has established a committee to address the grievances of both sides. He said the fighting was sparked by young men behaving irresponsibly, but he did not elaborate.

Since the Oct. 20 death of Gadhafi, there have been a number of violent clashes between fighters, including a deadly shootout at a Tripoli hospital. Residents of the capital have also become increasingly annoyed with fighters from other areas of Libya who have taken over prime locations in the city, including a gated seaside resort village.

Despite the growing tensions, Abdul-Jalil and other NTC leaders have said they cannot disarm the fighters quickly.

Noting high unemployment among the armed men, Abdul-Jalil said the new government must offer alternatives first, including jobs, study and training.

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i4HCcwnCGjQpOP6G6H0mRDcFWZJQ?docId=b24772d56f4e48aca9c6c7f61dae4c7a
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by na2day(m): 6:51pm On Nov 13, 2011
na2day!:

[size=13pt][center]Rival Libyan militias clash near military base[/center][/size]

WARSHEFANA, Libya (AP) — Rival militias clashed on the outskirts of the Libyan capital for a fourth day Sunday in the deadliest and most sustained violence since the capture and killing of Moammar Gadhafi last month.

The fighting, which has killed at least 13 people since late last week, raised new concerns about the ability of Libya's transitional government to disarm thousands of fighters and restore order after an eight-month civil war.

Libya's interim leader, Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, said his National Transitional Council brought together elders from the feuding areas — the coastal city of Zawiya and the nearby tribal lands of Warshefana — over the weekend and that the dispute has been resolved. "I want to assure the Libyan people that everything is under control," he said Sunday.

However, as he spoke, fighting continued.

Heavy gunfire and explosions of rocket-propelled grenades were heard over hours Sunday in the area between the Warshefana lands, about 18 miles (30 kilometers) west of Tripoli, and Zawiya, another 10 miles (15 kilometers) to the west. White smoke rose into the air.

At one point, the two sides were battling for control of a major military camp of the ousted regime, said a fighter from Tripoli. The camp, once a base of elite forces commanded by one of Gadhafi's sons, Khamis, is located on a highway midway between Tripoli and Zawiya.

In all, at least 13 people were killed in the fighting, including four from Zawiya and nine from Warshefana, according to gunmen and a hospital doctor in Warshefana. More than 100 people from Warshefana were wounded since Saturday, said Dr. Mohammed Sawan, adding that casualties stemmed from gunshots as well as shrapnel from rockets and mortar shells.

The reason for the initial clash remains unclear, though accusations have been flying, including that some of the Warshefana had links to the old regime. At one point last week, fighters from Zawiya entered Warshefana and seized weapons. In retaliation, Warshefana fighters set up random checkpoints and fired at the main highway.

On Sunday evening, dozens of Warshefana fighters assembled and said they would march on Zawiya. "We'll be in Zawiya tonight," they chanted before moving toward the city, armed with assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades.

Zawiya fighters, meanwhile, manned roadblocks on the outskirts of their city at intervals of about 200 yards (meters). Groups of jumpy armed men, some brandishing RPGs, crowded around the checkpoints. Fighters searched trunks of cars and checked IDs.

Abdul-Jalil said the NTC has established a committee to address the grievances of both sides. He said the fighting was sparked by young men behaving irresponsibly, but he did not elaborate.

Since the Oct. 20 death of Gadhafi, there have been a number of violent clashes between fighters, including a deadly shootout at a Tripoli hospital. Residents of the capital have also become increasingly annoyed with fighters from other areas of Libya who have taken over prime locations in the city, including a gated seaside resort village.

Despite the growing tensions, Abdul-Jalil and other NTC leaders have said they cannot disarm the fighters quickly.

[size=13pt]Noting high unemployment among the armed men, Abdul-Jalil said the new government must offer alternatives first, including jobs, study and training.[/size]

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i4HCcwnCGjQpOP6G6H0mRDcFWZJQ?docId=b24772d56f4e48aca9c6c7f61dae4c7a

They've not seen anything yet?
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by eghost247(m): 7:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
subscribing
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by playmode(m): 7:30pm On Nov 13, 2011
na2day!:

They've not seen anything yet?

Dem go hear wen!

Even with this real life "movie" going on in libya our mumu brothers will still be H.o.r.n.y for the US to come and fight Boko Haram for us. 90% of Africans = Donkeys!

1 Like

Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by BootyOnMe: 7:33pm On Nov 13, 2011
One Nigeria take note. . . .
Una want to divide abi? grin
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2011
^^^^ rofl :d :d :d :d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 13, 2011
playmode:

Dem go hear wen!

Even with this real life "movie" going on in libya our mumu brothers will still be H.o.r.n.y for the US to come and fight Boko Haram for us. 90% of Africans = Donkeys!
The fact remains that a lot of africans will never learn from history.Until,we realised that it takes a black solution to solve a black problem,then we can actually move forward.Europe has been having it tough with their economy all these while but we havent seen them coming to meet African presidents for intervention but a little problem here and you'd see our useless and shameless leaders running to oyinbo for help.it shows our thing,african leaders don't have a mind of their own !
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by deemark: 8:06pm On Nov 13, 2011
i felt gadaffis were their problem!! now they are gone the fighting still continues!! useless pple dem chop belle full finish dem come dey find bekun bekun,,,nw they ve gotten wat they wanted!! more to come, i pray african leaders learn quick!!
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 13, 2011
hehehe where were those supporting the ouster of Gaddafi?
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by HighChief4(m): 8:09pm On Nov 13, 2011
And here the show begins tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 13, 2011
davidylan:

hehehe where were those supporting the ouster of Gaddafi?
beaf show face na !
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Relax101(m): 8:34pm On Nov 13, 2011
Fingers crossed.
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2011
How come BBC/CNN are not reporting all these? How come Nato is not going there to protect 'innocent' civilians anymore?

1 Like

Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 13, 2011
lakhadimar:

How come BBC/CNN are not reporting all these? How come Nato is not going there to protect 'innocent' civilians anymore?
They have achieve their objective by installing a stooge as the new leader of libya !

1 Like

Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by redsun(m): 9:41pm On Nov 13, 2011
Gaddafi was like saddam.He understood his people,he knew how to keep them sane and in line with reality.

Arabs are relatively insane people,especially when religion is involve.

1 Like

Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 13, 2011
In 1996 siad bare the erstwhile president of somalia died in Nigeria however since he was ousterd from power in 1991 somalians have been in war. I fear the same fate awaits libya, qadaffi is dead so also libya

1 Like

Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 13, 2011
They aint seen nothing yet! Saddam was outsted with a trump-up charge of developing WAMD but till date none has been found in iraq! But the internal strife continues and iraq is worse for it. Then came ghaddafi with the sins of being too ambitious with over 4 decade rule. And the man was killed too but libyans are not the winners. ITS ALL ABOUT 'ENERGY' IN A WORLD DRIVEN BY "OIL" AND SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST! The world is at 'war' but african leaders dont have a clue due to their incompetence, greed and selfishness!

1 Like

Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by hajifaty: 5:54am On Nov 14, 2011
Where is Obama and others? are they not willing to save the innocents people. Bastards, Obama will surely die of air crash
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by alienvirus: 6:29am On Nov 14, 2011
Amin
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 14, 2011
hajifaty:

Where is Obama and others? are they not willing to save the innocents people. Bastards,  Obama will surely die of air crash

This is a most stupid post. Again blaming Islamic propensity for evil on the west. Obama and NATO helped remove gaddafi, however they are not to blame because once again Muslim Arabs cannot learn to live like civilized humans with any shred of respect for human life.
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by meonbooty: 6:38am On Nov 14, 2011
^^^

Ogbeni, wan ti tu e le?

Time to beat common sense into ya stupidd head.
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Beaf: 6:44am On Nov 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

beaf show face na !

Sharrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap deh!!! Do you think you are selling meat? Or piloting an Oshodi Oke bus?
Take the plank from between your ears and learn to think. Repeat slowly:

The fighting in Libya has got much more to do with Europe than the USA. -Edited.

When you have finished doing that, then you and your fellow passengers who are blaming the US in some crazy way should please tell us how the US was involved in the Libyan civil war day to day. Last I heard, it was NATO, led by European countries.
I feel a lot of pain when I read posts in topics like this, and 90% of the posts lack any critical thinking input.
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by alienvirus: 7:14am On Nov 14, 2011
^^tell me the something about the tussle between US and France concerning who shelled Libya first.
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 14, 2011
@Davidylan you are a big fool. Didnt Nato know that the rebels have links with the alqaeada in the islamic magrheb? Didnt Nato know that some of the rebels are member of the salafist group of preaching & combat? Didnt Nato know that belhaj who is one of the rebel brigade commander fought for osama bin ladin? Didnt Nato know that these were the 'bad guys' qadaffi had being trying to tame all along? Yet they accused him of killing innocent civilians & went ahead to arm the alqaeda rebel vampires so as to satisfy their greed by getting rid of qadaffi & having hegemony over Libyas vast oil wealth. Now libya will become a hotbed for extreme islamic fundermentalism

1 Like

Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by dinachi(m): 8:06am On Nov 14, 2011
@ Beaf Sometimes you argue just for argument sake. I had expected that by now somebody like you with unmatched analytical dexterity should limit your analysis to purely facts. How can you deny America's involvement in Ghadaffi's outster. Is America not a member of NATO? Why are they saying they spent about one billion dollars in the operation? Obama did say that America won a war without putting troops on the ground. Who supplied the Drones? Beaf dont let me loose respect for you! I remember my hero Obasanjo saying that what Libya needed was change from within not change from outside. How come among the three African nations where uprising took place, it was only Libya that NATO backed the rebels.
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Beaf: 8:26am On Nov 14, 2011
dinachi:

@ Beaf Sometimes you argue just for argument sake. I had expected that by now somebody like you with unmatched analytical dexterity should limit your analysis to purely facts. How can you deny America's involvement in Ghadaffi's outster. Is America not a member of NATO? Why are they saying they spent about one billion dollars in the operation? Obama did say that America won a war without putting troops on the ground. Who supplied the Drones? Beaf dont let me loose respect for you! I remember my hero Obasanjo saying that what Libya needed was change from within not change from outside. How come among the three African nations where uprising took place, it was only Libya that NATO backed the rebels.

Of course America is a part of NATO, but it is a completely different kettle of fish to imply that NATO is America. I cannot see any sense in blaming America for the actions of NATO, it is quite simplistic, ill advised and ignorant. It is would be the same as some "clever" sod heaping the blame for the AU military actions in Somalia on Nigeria, because Nigeria funds the AU actions in Somalia heavily; you would agree that such a view is at best, wooly.

About losing respect for me because I hold a view contrary to yours, dude thats just the most foolish thing anyone can say. I'm a bit tired of hearing such idiocy, its a free World, you can have your opinions and I can have mine.
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 14, 2011
Beaf:

Sharrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap deh!!! Do you think you are selling meat? Or piloting an Oshodi Oke bus?
Take the plank from between your ears and learn to think. Repeat slowly:

The fighting in Libya has got much more to do with Europe than the USA. -Edited.

When you have finished doing that, then you and your fellow passengers who are blaming the US in some crazy way should please tell us how the US was involved in the Libyan civil war day to day. Last I heard, it was NATO, led by European countries.
I feel a lot of pain when I read posts in topics like this, and 90% of the posts lack any critical thinking input.
And this you wrote up here is what you called critical analysis shocked you were supporting the ousting of Ghadafii but failed to see the aftermath of the civil war ? I still maintain that the revolution was an artificial by some selfish people to re-colonize libya if not a well-planned exit strategy should have been made available by the aliies to maintain peace and security in libya.
However,with the present situation going on with the various tribes now waging war against themselves points to the fact that the whole revolution wass a facade deployed to bring down a die-hard critic of capitalism !
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by texazzpete(m): 9:38am On Nov 14, 2011
This isn't surprising. The transition to democracy was never expected to happen overnight and certainly not without pain.

What is clear now is that Libyans will finally be free to express themselves without fear of a massive reprisal by their 'king of kings'
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by omo9ja1(m): 9:41am On Nov 14, 2011
This will be the part 2 of the rise and fall of Libya,

sorry sorry 0o00o0x2

I sorry for Africa
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by velo10: 9:50am On Nov 14, 2011
Have you guys noticed that anytime there's foreign intervention in Islamic nations, it usually leads to chaos afterwards. Please lets learn from Iraq and Afghanistan. If only the West stopped bombing Gaddafi when he agree to a ceasefire, this would have solved this crisis. Well I think we should commend Muammar Gaddafi for the peace in Libya for 42 years of his reign. Rest in Peace, Muammar

1 Like

Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by fxtopedia(m): 10:03am On Nov 14, 2011
Good for them!

@Beaf: must you always abuse other people? Or you want to gag others?
Be careful!!! grin
Re: Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves by xcolanto(m): 10:21am On Nov 14, 2011
Anyone that did not see this coming (fighting within and amongst tribes) in libya is plain ignorant. How did the forgein invaders think "democracy" is going to slove the deep rooted problem they have created in libya What they have done is put libyan people against themseleves which would lead to more conflicts. Thanks to western/Nato led "regime change" indeed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt / U.S. Slaps Sanctions On North Korea Over Ballistic Missile Tests / Trump Charged With Conspiracy To Commit Forgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.