Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun (3153 Views)

Confessions Of An Economic Hitman: Why Nigeria May Not Develop With Gej! / Stanbic Ibtc Bank Arm Twisted Ibikunle Amosun Over N300m Debt. / Amosun Leads Squad To Demolish Babalakin’s N1 Billion Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by ektbear: 7:50am On Nov 14, 2011
Nigeria: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun

Abiodun Taiwo12 November 2011
Ogun state government has reiterated its commitment to create an enabling environment for trade and commerce to thrive in the state.

Governor Ibikunle Amosun, who was represented by the Deputy Governor, Prince Segun Adesegun, stated this at the Ogun State Day at the ongoing Lagos International Trade Fair.

He said the present administration would continue to act as a catalyst for economic activities and strive to ensure that the state becomes an economic power house in the country. Senator Amosun explained that the state government had put together an economic reform agenda aimed at correcting the structural weaknesses within the system and establishing an enduring framework for economic growth.

He emphasized that the present administration would focus on agriculture and bring back the glory of the state in the sector. "We will lay a solid foundation for a vibrant, research- driven mechanized farming and technologically-induced agro-based industry," he said.

The state governor added that his administration was ready to partner with investors towards achieving its economic goals.

He assured the people of the state that his government would continue to provide an atmosphere that would guarantee their welfare and prosperity.

In his keynote address, the state Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Otunba Abimbola Ashiru, disclosed that the state government had concluded plans to set up cluster farm settlements, where producers, processors and other stakeholders in the food chain would be localized in different regions of the state to ensure cost-effectiveness, accessibility, visibility and synergy.

He said the administration was developing a relationship among ministries, departments and agencies of government towards evolving a holistic and integrated response that would guarantee sustainable progress and development. In his welcome address, the President of Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Otunba Femi Deru, said Ogun State was blessed with both human and natural resources and commended the state government for creating an enabling environment for businesses to thrive.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201111130128.html
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 14, 2011
Frankly, I'm tired of the talking. Brings me back to GEJ's "Promises", so empty.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by ektbear: 7:51am On Nov 14, 2011
Good goal, but too much focus on agric. . .

Ogun has other areas of potential that are more interesting, I think
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by ektbear: 8:01am On Nov 14, 2011
Sometimes I feel bummed at how unimaginative some of these leaders are.

Just because something worked in the 50s and 60s (agriculture) doesn't mean you can try the same tactic today and expect superb results.

bleh
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by PointB: 8:28am On Nov 14, 2011
Amosun doesn't cut it out for me like someone who can transform Ogun State. As for laying the foundation, well that is vague unless laws are made to support it at the minimum.

At any rate if what I hear from the grapevine is anything to go by, Ogun state is set to witness higher revenue from taxes, effective this month or the next, in the worst case. But does Amosun have the character and tenacity to channel these funds into his development goal? Time will tell!
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by jmaine: 8:40am On Nov 14, 2011
Focusing and reviving the agric sector is not a bad idea at all . . .it's the easiest sector for the grassroots to immediately tap  into to generate wealth and better their livelihood especially if a valuable exportable farm produce is harnessed . . .

Ogun vast arrays of lands should be used for projects like this than the tradition of selling acres to individuals and institutions that only benefit a few . . . Agriculture investment is good point to begin with . . though not alienating others revenue generating sources as well . . .

It's high time we move back to farming to create wealth other than the tradition of migrating to the urban centers looking for jobs that are not there, while our vast fertile lands are made to waste 

But the main challenge we always have is continuity of policies
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by ektbear: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2011
Agric is not going to have any impact on slowing down urbanization. Well, let me clarify, commercial farming won't. Doesn't require that much labor.

Anyway I don't think that urbanization is bad. More importantly, bad or good, it is inevitable.

Regarding "jobs that are not there", if Amosun were a sensible man he'd be looking to create jobs through industrialization. That Nestle factory in Ota area, he should be travelling the world looking for investors who want to build 100s or 1000s more such factories.

That would be more effective for wealth creation and poverty alleviation than a focus on farming.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by jmaine: 9:45am On Nov 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Agric is not going to have any impact on slowing down urbanization. Well, let me clarify, commercial farming won't. Doesn't require that much labor.

Anyway I don't think that urbanization is bad. More importantly, bad or good, it is inevitable.

A robust and profitable agricultural sector [/b]would discourage the rate of rural-urban migration for jobs that are not there. Have seen folks who have acres of good lands to utilize but would rather go to the urban centers to live in a pathetic state . . . [b]Commercial farming though it doesn't require much manual labour would still employ people  . . .and mushrooms industries utilizing the bye products of the farm waste would also spring up leading to more job employment . . .Also Not forgetting the facts that processing factories would also employ large number of individuals . . .It's multiplier effects is immense as regards job employment

Urbanization is inevitable, yes, but the level of rural- urban migration need be reduced lest the carrying capacity of the urban centers is breached already evident in Lagos . . .

ekt_bear:

Regarding "jobs that are not there", if Amosun were a sensible man he'd be looking to create jobs through industrialization. That Nestle factory in Ota area, he should be travelling the world looking for investors who want to build 100s or 1000s more such factories.

My question to you is this :- Won't agriculture produce the necessary huge volume of raw materials to attract more of the Nestle's like factories . . .

Industrialization creates lot's of jobs and agriculture can also play a part  . . . And like i said earlier, The grassroots can be assimilated faster in an agric powered economic enhancement project than say mineral exploitation . . . considering our technological background . .

ekt_bear:

That would be more effective for wealth creation and poverty alleviation than a focus on farming.

Is it not better to start with something you know your strengths and opportunities favors . . Bros, Farming is the way forward considering the food crisis we are going through despite being blessed with vast green and nutrient filled lands  . . . Farm Business is a potential mega earner . . .

Your correct, there are other sectors to harness but i don't see any fault in this move. . .except the fact that good plans does not always turn out to be good results if the implementation is wrong
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Akanbiedu(m): 10:03am On Nov 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Right on point. Ogun, like Lagos should not be talking about agriculture at this time. states like Osun, Oyo and Ekiti are in better position for that.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Gbawe: 10:45am On Nov 14, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Right on point. Ogun, like Lagos should not be talking about agriculture at this time. states like Osun, Oyo and Ekiti are in better position for that.

Jmaine has done an excellent job. This drive towards agricultural development does not and should not mean other sector will be neglected or ignored. It is just that, as Jmaine observed, you never , whatever else you are doing, ignore your areas of comparative advantage and strenght. Doing that makes no economic sense.

Agriculture is comparatively one of the best and most rewarding economic activities certain States can revive/improve upon because of its implication on increased income, job creation, food sufficiency/export etc . This effort should not lead anyone to believe Ogun is chasing an Agro-based economy. There is simply not enough information in this article for anyone to conclude the pursuit of Agriculture is detrminental to anything else or given greater/absolute priority.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by logica(m): 12:21pm On Nov 14, 2011
Why would anybody argue against agriculture? Ogun State can easily become the bread-basket of Lagos State, and this is already happening. I know people with farms located in Ogun and who of course bring their produce to Lagos to sell.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Raxxye(m): 12:27pm On Nov 14, 2011
Someone should tell these loud-mouthed looters to spare me the empty words: “We have concluded arrangements to…, ”, “ plans are in top gear to….”,” Negotiations have reached advanced stagel to attract…” ,bla,bla,bla!
Nigerian leaders from top to bottom are empty cans, and they make the most noise.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Johnpaul2k2(m): 12:30pm On Nov 14, 2011
continue talking grin grin grin grin
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by LagosBoi2(m): 12:40pm On Nov 14, 2011
Free me joo, do the stuffs and show us pictures here and stop the story, since i was born i have been listening to stories from naija leaders and i am fed up.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Gbenge77(m): 1:20pm On Nov 14, 2011
Talk is cheap
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 14, 2011
Ogun State is cursed, undecided
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by bsalva(m): 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2011
Ogun State ?
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by denitro(m): 3:11pm On Nov 14, 2011
Another "TO" propaganda
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by occam(m): 4:30pm On Nov 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Regarding "jobs that are not there", if Amosun were a sensible man he'd be looking to[b] create jobs through industrialization. [/b]That Nestle factory in Ota area, he should be travelling the world looking for investors who want to build 100s or 1000s more such factories.

Agriculture has more potential to create wealth in Nigeria. A significant rise in rural income levels will transform Nigerian economy and reduce dependence on imported food. We can add more value to cash crops (like cocoa) and earn more. Sadly, the Gov is only blowing hot air and don't expect much to change.

Industrialization? For Nigeria, that ship has already sailed. How do we compete with the Chinese (consumer goods), Germans (High tech engineering/auto industry) South Koreans etc in the export market. Do you get my gist? We can certainly manufacture small industrial parts that will only be used by our local industries, but we need to focus on export as well.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by ektbear: 5:53pm On Nov 14, 2011
I strongly disagree with you all above. Like I already explained, agriculture is not going to create mass employment. And it certainly isn't something like oil which will generate you 10s of billions of dollars a year.

Ogun State can and should focus on manufacturing. Lagos is too small and densely packed. Ogun should be the foremost destination in the west africa sub-region for any sort of manufacturing. . . that is, if the governor had more vision. How can you have the 5th largest economy in sub-Saharan Africa as your neighbor (Lagos) and not be interested in providing some of the high-value manufactured goods that said economy needs and has to import?

Regarding "ship has sailed" on manufacturing, err, I'd suggest you think a bit more about it.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 6:08pm On Nov 14, 2011
Lagos_Boi:

Free me joo, do the stuffs and show us pictures here and stop the story, since i was born i have been listening to stories from naija leaders and i am fed up.
dats true
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by occam(m): 6:25pm On Nov 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

I strongly disagree with you all above. Like I already explained, agriculture is not going to create mass employment. And it certainly isn't something like oil which will generate you 10s of billions of dollars a year.

Ogun State can and should focus on manufacturing. Lagos is too small and densely packed. Ogun should be the foremost destination in the west africa sub-region for any sort of manufacturing. . . that is, if the governor had more vision. How can you have the 5th largest economy in sub-Saharan Africa as your neighbor (Lagos) and not be interested in providing some of the high-value manufactured goods that said economy needs and has to import?

Regarding "ship has sailed" on manufacturing, err, I'd suggest you think a bit more about it.

Based on comparative advantage, agriculture and related industry has to be the focus. Remember, we have to import raw materials, parts and cope with the current power situation. Any potential investor putting together a business plan will see that an ago-allied project has a higher ROI and shorter payback period vs manufacturing.

Aside from farm production, other areas like processing, storage, packaging, transportation are all areas for potential investors in agriculture. It's proximity to Lagos should serve as a key advantage compared to Osun, Ekiti & Ondo states

No doubt we need to develop manufacturing but how can the products compete in the global market/
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by ektbear: 6:29pm On Nov 14, 2011
What of the local market first?

What prevents you from taking away the figurative "lunch" of some manufacturer based in China?

After all, he has to deal with the cost of shipping whatever he makes via ship to Nigeria/West Africa.

His labor costs at this point might be higher than yours in Nigeria.

So why can't you start from there?

Ogun has a gas pipeline running through Ota area. That is part of the reason existing manufacturers are there. So the electricity issues aren't as bad there as elsewhere, at least from the perspective of a prospective industrialist. Ogun State government could and should of course make things even easier, though.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by godman01(m): 7:06pm On Nov 14, 2011
God help us
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by sheyguy: 9:09pm On Nov 14, 2011
They already have industries begging for space/infrastructure for support why not consolidate on that and expand where u have advantage, plus the Lagos population explosion creating new urban settlement from Ota, Agbara, and Mowe zone. they always like to diverting vision/targets for selfish reasons, probably cos they have their pple planted there for looting sake.
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Thethy(m): 3:42pm On Nov 15, 2011
There are still lot of opportunities in Ogun State,if you can see. THE THY SNAIL & GRASSCUTTER FARMS,4,Ismail AbdulAzeez,Singer Bus Stop,Sango Ota,Ogun State. Tel: 08023050835 , 07033632285.

Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by Sagamite(m): 6:17pm On Nov 15, 2011
What a senseless claim and senseless vision.

Where the fck is the strategic thought used to come up with this?
Re: Ogun To Become An Economic Power House - Amosun by ektbear: 2:29am On Nov 16, 2011

Ogun to become Nigeria’s agricultural hub –Amosun
From Moshood Adebayo, Abeokuta
Wednesday, November 16 , 2011

More Stories on This Section

Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State yesterday reiterated his administration’s determination to make the state a hub of agricultural produce.
According to the governor: “We have decided to go back to the basics and make agriculture our mainstay. Presently, we are clearing 1,000 hectares of land in each of the three senatorial districts in the state in partnership with private investors to take agriculture to the next level. We are poised to redefine agriculture in the state.”

Speaking while receiving the Minister of Agriculture, Dr. Akinwunmi Ayo Adesina in his Oke-Mosan office in Abeokuta, Governor Amosun restated his government’s resolve to use agriculture to engender industrial revolution in Ogun State, as was the case in the old Western Region.

“This is where we have the advantage. Agriculture means a lot to us in the state. We have the potentials and we are willing to cooperate with appropriate authorities and enter into genuine partnership with private investors to create wealth and develop our state as a whole,” the governor added.

Earlier, the minister commended the governor for making agriculture a priority and putting in place good initiatives to facilitate development in the sector, saying “agriculture is very critical to the transformation agenda of Ogun State.”
Dr. Adesina described Ogun State as the number one producer of cassava in Nigeria, stressing that “we have to do everything to make cassava work in this state.”

According to him, “when we came on board, 33 Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in the subsector were dead, so we directed flour mills to be buying cassava flour from these SMEs. We hope to go beyond this directive and put in place a legislation to encourage our farmers. Since my directive, we have been seeing opportunities in Ogun State and we are auditing and upgrading our 33 SMEs to meet the needs of flour mills.”

The minister mentioned his ministry’s plan to appoint six new directors for the six geo-political zones in Nigeria to work closely with the state governments based on principles of strategic partnership and accountability. He tasked Governor Amosun to set up an Agricultural Transformation Implementation Committee to interface with the Federal Government.

Cassava ke. Wetin concern cassava with industrial revolution. Did he study history in secondary school at all

This guy is very confused.

Very demoralizing

(1) (Reply)

Buy Cheap And Enjoy Free Shipping To Nigeria / My 2 Pennies: Ways to Make More Money On Fiverr / Ban On Naira Atm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.