Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,991 members, 7,806,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted (9607 Views)

Selling My Laptop Stand For Coding, I Bought From Amazon (photo). Interested? / Do We Really Have Wizard Female Programmers In Nigeria? / Any Female Programmers In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Ace26: 9:44am On Nov 14, 2011
Hi everyone.

Looking around the world, you find very few females wandering into a career in computer science( and computer programming). Bringing it home, I've looked in this (programming) forum and don't seem to find any females responding to threads and posts. This makes me ask:
1. Do we have female programmers here at all?
2. Where you live or work you, do know any hacker/geek chics around (that are atleast averagely good)?

Just something I thought about.

Cheers
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Fayimora(m): 11:27am On Nov 14, 2011
For some reasons NL doesn't hav female programmers/computer scientists. I have quite a lot of female friends that very good computer scientists.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Ace26: 9:30pm On Nov 14, 2011
@Fayimora,

Really? Why haven't you introduced them to this forum? Are they good programmers or computer scientist(if there's anything like that)? Which?

I personally have met just, let me count them, none!
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by moderatorr: 7:48pm On Nov 15, 2011
i have met none.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by moderatorr: 7:53pm On Nov 15, 2011
they'll watch films with their laptops and facebook with it!
'Hi moderatorr' they'll ask 'have you tried 2go on pc?'
and in my mind i'll respond 'its amazing how God made a woman's brain!'

1 Like

Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Fayimora(m): 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2011
Ace26:

@Fayimora,

Really? Why haven't you introduced them to this forum? Are they good programmers or computer scientist(if there's anything like that)? Which?

I personally have met just, let me count them, none!

They are computer scientists and good programmers. Errr we dont really have time for forums here in the UK. Too much work! Am only here because am the moderator and I kinda enjoy helping people.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by widesmile(f): 11:24pm On Nov 15, 2011
Well there shld b a reason y d few female who come ard remain silent on the forum, early dis yr I postd a site www.olivebranchcollege.com.ng 4 review and u guys really were nt so friendly, although I have long rebuilt d site, it ended up being my first and last time of startin a topic . Although we might nt b many I still believe there r a handful of ladies out there who r into programmin, i'm quite gud with java and php
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Ace26: 11:16am On Nov 16, 2011
@Widesmile,

Yay! Finally a female comes around to defend her kind! Nice to meet you, missy. So you churn out software using JAVA and PHP, huh? Impressive.

How long have you been at it? You work at a firm or you are on your own? BTW, My poison are C#, PHP and Javascript.

About your website thing, I totally apologize for whatever you might have perceived as unpleasant responses. Sometimes people lack the appropriate manner of approach.

Once again, it was really nice to meet you.

So one female and counting,
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by widesmile(f): 2:37pm On Nov 16, 2011
Tanx so much, I wrk with an IT training firm, bt I'm into personal business too
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by ektbear: 5:42pm On Nov 16, 2011
koboj
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by PatKing(f): 5:51pm On Nov 21, 2011
+1 here.
C#, and PHP, My brain has refused to take on JAVA for exactly 10yrs now, LOL
Into business, Civil Servant, No much programming at work place except server Mgt., Configurations, and Monitoring.
Always browsing the programming section but no commenting as am a lazy Typer.
Ok,
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 21, 2011
Women, especially naija women, generally shy away from difficult subjects(programming, engineering, math, etc.) Their brains are probably wired like that or it's the society that 'stereotyped' them into believing that they cant.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by blackweaver(m): 7:18pm On Nov 21, 2011
@mba
you know that's a sexist thing to say, programming, maths, engineering aren't particularly harder for women; i believe it's more of a society issue; most women that go into such fields are viewed as weird, sometimes even discriminated against. Besides for you personally, which do you find easier? writing some code or going to persuade someone to part with his/her money (aka marketing)
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 21, 2011
am currently in India, and i see so many female programmers around here, even in the institute where i am doing my training,
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Andrew3(m): 7:39pm On Nov 21, 2011
Yes there are alot of ice cream and blackberry female programmers here. Look into the romance section many are there.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 8:11pm On Nov 21, 2011
Not funny
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 21, 2011
Woman get dat kind brain?  grin

You'll notice that, unless she's special, women tend to shy away from the overly technical.
It's nothing to be ashamed of or take offence over really. Women are just mentally wired differently than men and with programming, it's all about the mental wiring.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by lifestyle1(m): 8:29pm On Nov 21, 2011
widesmile:

Well there shld b a reason y d few female who come ard remain silent on the forum, early dis yr I postd a site www.olivebranchcollege.com.ng 4 review and u guys really were nt so friendly, although I have long rebuilt d site, it ended up being my first and last time of startin a topic . Although we might nt b many I still believe there r a handful of ladies out there who r into programmin, i'm quite gud with java and php

The site is cool, keep it up cool

what's the relationship between programming and web design ? undecided
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by fxpro1: 8:36pm On Nov 21, 2011
i thought i was d only one that notice this trend and really,this aint cool!Will be great to d*te one,
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by AZeD1(m): 8:44pm On Nov 21, 2011
goodsegs:

am currently in India, and i see so many female programmers around here, even in the institute where i am doing my training,

bro help a brother out, can i get a good institute in india, cost and process for admission?
Thanks
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by dabrake(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2011
Atleast, kobojunkie shows promise. Im into java, php and javascript(but im still learning). Then for db, its oracle and mysql(need nairaland friends who are into programming. I wana improve)
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by sebastinta(m): 10:27pm On Nov 21, 2011
goodsegs:

yea same here, dem indian chics re even topping d class here.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by sebastinta(m): 10:30pm On Nov 21, 2011
A-ZeD:

bro help a brother out, can i get a good institute in india, cost and process for admission?
Thanks

sup, i can get u an admission in my university ( uni of pune) but dat would b next yr april, d cost is abt 300,000 naira per year, its a 3 yrs course in comp science. holla if u r interested. miketayo@yahoo.com.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by MrWhy1(m): 12:18am On Nov 22, 2011
Naija girls tend to shy away from technical stuff and even things that stimulate the brain; say in depth social and political discussions.

What they fail to grasp is that, there is something deeply romantic and sophisticated about a geek chick or a girl that is quite informed.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Outstrip(f): 12:22am On Nov 22, 2011
Wow
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 12:23am On Nov 22, 2011
Mr--Why:

Naija girls tend to shy away from technical stuff and even things that stimulate the brain; say in depth social and political discussions.

What they fail to grasp is that, there is something deeply romantic and sophisticated about a geek chick or a girl that is quite informed.
My guy the logic is that Brazilian weave covers all faults.
Abi have you not wondered why that ish is so expensive?  grin

[size=4pt]jokes[/size]
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by lctewand(f): 1:42am On Nov 22, 2011
excuse me, female programmer present, smiley
nd not all nigerian girls shy away from technical stuff,
i worked at an I.t firm 4 some time as an assistant system administrator and i didnt mind "the technical stuff"

i dont comment much on the programming section cos im still in training, (as per still a student)
very soon ill come out and start training all u so called gurus, wink

interests:- web design and mobile computing (im working on an android app although its still in its planning stage.)
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by InkedNerd(f): 1:49am On Nov 22, 2011
Ace26:

Hi everyone.

Looking around the world, you find very few females wandering into a career in computer science( and computer programming). Bringing it home, I've looked in this (programming) forum and don't seem to find any females responding to threads and posts. This makes me ask:
 1. Do we have female programmers here at all?
 2. Where you live or work you, do know any hacker/geek chics around (that are atleast averagely good)?

Just something I thought about.

Cheers

Yes, there are female programers. I do programming but I can't really say I'm a fan of it. It's part of my course study so I have to learn how to do it. When I have to do it for a class assignment then it bores me a bit but if its on my own time then I don't have an issue with it. My sister is pretty good on the other hand! Due to certain perceptions of Nigerian women, the number of women in this field is less than that of our male counterparts. Sadly, a lot of people don't expect Nigerian women to actually have a brain so when a woman is in a field that is traditionally male dominated, people tend to be surprised. Another thing is that as a society, I personally think women are at times discouraged from participating in certain fields. Its like when I play rugby, people who are Nigerian tend to give me the side eye when I tell them undecided

So to answer your question, 1) yes there are female programmers and 2) I live in New York and yes I do know someone who is a hacker but none who are women.

2buff:

Woman get dat kind brain?  grin

You'll notice that, unless she's special, women tend to shy away from the overly technical.
It's nothing to be ashamed of or take offence over really. Women are just mentally wired differently than men and with programming, it's all about the mental wiring.

Excuse me? angry

Mr--Why:

C'mon, who says Nigerian girls don't like these kind of things? I like politics and social discussions! Did it ever occur to some of you guys that because some of you all tend to assume we don't like things like politics, we don't talk to you guys about it? undecided

2buff:

My guy the logic is that Brazilian weave covers all faults.
Abi have you not wondered why that ish is so expensive?  grin

[size=4pt]jokes[/size]

How do you expect women to wanna talk to you about things such as politics and science when you perpetuate stereotypes about Nigerian women? cry
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 1:55am On Nov 22, 2011
I did say "jokes" didn't I?  kiss tongue

I knew I was gonna get one of you riled up eventually.

But anyway, the stats are the facts, we have and have always had more tech capable males than females.
And it's because (by default) one was built better for one thing and another for another. In all things, there are always exceptions however.

But not every woman can be an exception, lest it becomes a rule. and that is sooo not the case today as we see it.  grin
So Accept nature's stats,be  honest-with-reality and you'll be a happier person.  tongue

And we're talking about [b]programming [/b]not politics or whatever. Totally different subject.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by ektbear: 4:20am On Nov 22, 2011
Interesting inked_nerd.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Kobojunkie: 5:03am On Nov 22, 2011
@Poster, why? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided How many more of these silly threads is Nairaland going to allow for this?
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Princek12(m): 5:19am On Nov 22, 2011
Women's brains are not created to be logical; they are created to be emotional. That is why many women don't fare well in computer science and engineering. They fare well with being counselors and other careers that requires less of a logical mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Xvideoservicethief? / Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. / Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.