Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,177 members, 7,780,242 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:16 AM

Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? (5786 Views)

Bunch Of Confusion In Christianity / A Fine Example Of Religious Tolerance - *SARCASM* / The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by odoma(f): 12:50pm On Nov 14, 2011
I
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Horus(m): 12:56pm On Nov 14, 2011
Religion is for drop outs. People hold on to religion, like a crutch because they can't make it any other way. With religion you stop being responsible for your own actions and blame someone else like God when it's something you like and the Devil when it's something you don't like.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by BootyOnMe: 1:17pm On Nov 14, 2011
More on religion. . . "Opium For Poor People"!
The only 'smart' people who adhere to religion are CON ARTISTS!
The 'silly' ones just get getting more ret-arded. . . .!

The most comical of all are the Igbo Christians and the Yoruba Muslims.
Funny 'weird' bunch.

There are many divisive factors in Nigeria. Religion is second only to tribalism.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Kx: 1:21pm On Nov 14, 2011
“The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world."
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Eforce1: 3:32pm On Nov 14, 2011
hmmm,
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by manmustwac(m): 6:48pm On Nov 15, 2011
Nice write up. Yeah it seems like as long as we continue to wait for god to come down from heaven and solve all our problems (which we cannot solve ourselves) nothing will ever change.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by manmustwac(m): 2:43am On Nov 16, 2011
Frosbel and Enigma i'd like to hear your comments on this topic please
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Enigma(m): 8:58am On Nov 16, 2011
manmustwac

As far as I understand it, the opening post is about hypocrisy ---- not about the falsehood of religion/s as such. For example, see this last line from the opening post:
If only we practice the injunctions laid out by our various holy books, our society would be a reflection of our lives. Sadly we are with our various faiths trying to cut our nose to spite the face.

It seems to me the opening poster is saying: we don't really practise what our various religions teach and/or we misuse the teaching. I think there is a considerable amount of truth in this and to that extent I agree with much of the opening post by and large.

Let us try and reason together honestly for one minute: for this purpose only let me agree with you (really let me assume) that there is no God. Even if there is no God and we take the teachings of Christianity as only a moral code for right and wrong: do you think if people truly follow what Christianity teaches there would be so much corruption in Nigeria?

Do you think a person truly following the teachings of Christianity would cheat another person? Do you think a person following the teachings of Christianity will hold you to ransom until you pay some bribe before performing his official function? Do you think a person following the teaching of Christianity will not feel some remorse for taking sex.ual advantage of another person?

Let's even go to a different arena: do you think a person truly following the teachings of Christianity will buy private jets, build unaffordable universities, live opulently on the back of "tithes and offerings" of misguided people who call themselves his congregation or followers?
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Vavavoom(m): 12:30pm On Nov 16, 2011
Well said @ Poster.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by bigsean(m): 12:36pm On Nov 16, 2011
You Africans, please listen to me as Africans, And you non-Africans, listen to me with open mind

"Archbishop dey enjoy, Pope self dey enjoy, Imam self dey enjoy"
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by brainpulse: 12:38pm On Nov 16, 2011
I read through and am force to reckon with every bit of tone in the write-up. If only we act what we preach, if only we do what is right then we will leave as happy people.
We were first born human being with no religion, tribe and sentiments in the womb, with only but one heartbeat, but few days and weeks we are feed with alot of gabbages; why did i say gabbages, because you are taught the words of right things by the people that act wrongly. so your buildup starts in a confused frame and soon join the usual wagon- if he is not from my religion, tribe, state, family, house then he is not fit to live.

Yet the most religious but wayward set of people
Yet the most sermonized but immoral set of people
Yet the must cultured but tribalistic set of people
Yet the most devoted but corrupt set of people
Yet the most friendly but deadly set of people
Yet the most blessed with resources but poor set of people

From what point in our lives have we gotten it wrong?
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by klovesh: 12:59pm On Nov 16, 2011
Enigma:

manmustwac

As far as I understand it, the opening post is about hypocrisy ---- not about the falsehood of religion/s as such. For example, see this last line from the opening post:
It seems to me the opening poster is saying: we don't really practise what our various religions teach and/or we misuse the teaching. I think there is a considerable amount of truth in this and to that extent I agree with much of the opening post by and large.

Let us try and reason together honestly for one minute: for this purpose only let me agree with you (really let me assume) that there is no God. Even if there is no God and we take the teachings of Christianity as only a moral code for right and wrong: do you think if people truly follow what Christianity teaches there would be so much corruption in Nigeria?

Do you think a person truly following the teachings of Christianity would cheat another person? Do you think a person following the teachings of Christianity will hold you to ransom until you pay some bribe before performing his official function? Do you think a person following the teaching of Christianity will not feel some remorse for taking sex.ual advantage of another person?

Let's even go to a different arena: do you think a person truly following the teachings of Christianity will buy private jets, build unaffordable universities, live opulently on the back of "tithes and offerings" of misguided people who call themselves his congregation or followers?

Well said Enigma.

There is a difference between what something is about and what some people have been practising. The write up is clearly about the perversion of the laid down principles. Some people just want to hijack it and turn it into another religion bashing thread

The things that christianity teaches are the things that will make a society sane. Fairness, equity, forgiveness, diligence, justice, etc are fundamental to the teachings . A real christian is someone u can lay your whole life in his hands and go to sleep. He/she is the kind of person u will want to do business with, employ, work under air have as a leader, trust me. That these things have been perverted is another issue

People should stop blaming religion for what it did not cause. What is happening is that corrupt people are hiding under the guise of religion. These two things are not equivalent.

That you sleep in a garage does not make you a car. Anybody can go to a church or a mosque, you simply need to walk in.

When understanding is impaired, there will always be problems
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by bigsean(m): 1:02pm On Nov 16, 2011
Question: Are we a Bunch of Religious Hypocrites?
Answer: YES!!!

Too many scenarios to back up the answer, chose ur best pick. I'm actually having problems picking my top 5 favorite scenarios
. cheesy
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by zylla(m): 1:10pm On Nov 16, 2011
big_sean:

Question: Are we a Bunch of Religious Hypocrites?
Answer: [b]YES!!![/b]

Too many scenarios to back up the answer, chose your best pick. I'm actually having problems picking my top 5 favorite scenarios
. cheesy

Well Said.
You will be surprised at the way people you think are Pastors, Imams, Leaders in Churches and Mosques misbehave, misfire and mislead people.

big_sean said it all
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by floyet(f): 1:20pm On Nov 16, 2011
You could almost hear a pin drop on the streets of most South-eastern states, as every kidnapper is seeking forgiveness for the past week's adventure while seeking aid for the forthcoming week

VERY FUNNY.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by badmrkt(m): 1:31pm On Nov 16, 2011
To me the world'd been a better place without RELIGION.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 16, 2011
everyone, xtian or muslim, who goes for prayers everyday or even every other day, is a hypocrit. is praying at home inside your room with the doors shut, unacceptable by God? i dont think so. the book of Matthew chapter 6(verse 6 to be precise) says it all. so how come everyone is in a rush to go to church and mosque. some girls even attend churches in clothes that you would mistake for an outfit you wear to night clubs.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by cloud7: 2:04pm On Nov 16, 2011
ME I SAY NA YOUR FAULT BE THAT[i][/i][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by kurus: 2:16pm On Nov 16, 2011
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by hajifaty: 2:32pm On Nov 16, 2011
Religion is another problem facing nigeria. Religious pple are the most evil creatures.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by 3kay945(m): 3:00pm On Nov 16, 2011
Nigerians are blind with religion, nothing can take this away from them grin grin
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by UyiIredia(m): 3:16pm On Nov 16, 2011
Frosbel, no posts, remember  !
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by kjhova(m): 3:48pm On Nov 16, 2011
[td]If only we practice the injunctions laid out by our various holy books, our society would be a reflection of our lives. Sadly we are with our various faiths trying to cut our nose to spite the face.[/td]

No sir, If we follow the injunctions of these "holy" books, we will be worse off! Take the few injunctions below from the bible as example:

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them." - Leviticus chapter 20.

"When a slave-owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives for a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner's property, " Exodus chapter 21.

If we follow these and many others in the bible or quran, we will kill homosexuals extrajudicially and not only hold slaves, but beat slaves to pulp as we like. Religion is for fools as fools are for religion. The most religious societies are usually the most inhuman. Currently, Finland and Australia are reckoned as the most Atheistic nations on Earth yet life is fair there. Afghanistan, Yemen and Nigeria are among the most religious and we are at best slightly better of than field animals.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by oyintiloye(m): 4:44pm On Nov 16, 2011
You people need to see the content of Christianity before you make your comments. Christianity does not teach things most Christians do. When you see a true Christian you will see that the light shining out of him is just what you need.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:55pm On Nov 16, 2011
oyintiloye:

You people need to see the content of Christianity before you make your comments. Christianity does not teach things most Christians do. When you see a true Christian you will see that the light shining out of him is just what you need.

Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Goshen360(m): 5:42pm On Nov 16, 2011
Yes we r bunch of religious peole who had lost our minds. Christianity does not mean loosing our mind, For we have a sound mind which was also in christ. We pay tithes to these so called churches n the church people still very poor cos pastors n church leaders use tithes n offerings to enrich themselves. In the economic high unemployment rate, pastors take salaries from church peole's tithe n offerings, PEOPLE, WHERE DID CHRIST RECEIVE SALARY FROM PEOPLE'S DONATION? Oh foolish Nigerians, who had bewitched you?
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by BigMeat2: 6:57pm On Nov 16, 2011
Yes we are to the core.
Fela had already sang about this religious hypocrisy in our society.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:13pm On Nov 16, 2011
goshen360:

Oh foolish Nigerians, who had bewitched you?

whiteman and his ugly christianity. we were doing well under our beloved Gods.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by bigsean(m): 7:25pm On Nov 16, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

whiteman and his ugly christianity. we were doing well under our beloved Gods.
Sorry bro, na there u fail, all religions are guilty of abuse (all).
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:36pm On Nov 16, 2011
big_sean:

Sorry bro, na there u fail, all religions are guilty of abuse (all).

i disagree. since christianity and islam come on this planet, we have been haing so many religious wars / HOLY WARS. before christianity and slam, there was no war fought over religion, in the days of the Gods. wars were fought over more sensible reasons like food, land, etc but NEVER ON RELIGION.

christianity and islam have spoiled the very name of religion. angry
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by kurus: 7:37pm On Nov 16, 2011
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:54pm On Nov 16, 2011
kurus:

Me shonu your mouth there! Under your so called gods, you would ave been sold as a slave to a plantation in Europe or americ. It was Christian personalities like William wilberforce who ensured slavery of black people was abolished worldwide. All these illiterates of history tire me sef.

ahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!! so finally, in your blindness, you have come to this conclusion cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

SO YOU ARE SAYING THAT WHITEMAN SAVED US FROM SLAVERY WHILE THE GODS FORCED US INTO SLAVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone please throw a bucket of water on this drunk fellow!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

[size=32pt]OH CHRISTIANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE A TRUE DECEIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Checkout These 15 Hilarious Bible Memes / Jehovah’s Witnesses To Face Trial For Discrimination And Incitement To Hate / Easter Gift: “the Christian God: Blood And Human Sacrifice”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.