Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,413 members, 7,800,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

..... - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / ..... (5026 Views)

get auto-generated viral traffic via rss feed & social network / Help Phpmyadmin Showing My Blank In Wamp. / I Can Submit Your Site To Over 100 Search Engines Manually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

..... by Ymodulus: 6:57am On Nov 15, 2011
Re: ..... by yawatide(f): 1:24pm On Nov 15, 2011
I write not to disagree with whether or not the news is manually updated (after viewing the source and noting the file names, I have concluded that there is a high probability that the news is in fact manually uploaded) but to note that files having html extension don't necessarily imply that they are manually uploaded. For example, CNN's files are .html but from inside knowledge, I know that their news is uploaded via a CMS tool.

Having said that, if in fact point blank news is manually uploaded, I wonder what their excuse is. Oh wait, I think I do know: They don't want to fork out the cash to get it done by a professional - typical!
Re: ..... by Godmann(m): 5:05pm On Nov 15, 2011
Niaja

Is it about copying the latest technology or about getting the work done.

If manually generating their content saves them cost so be it.

I have seen UK banks that still uses excel sheets in most of their processing. In Nigeria it is all about buying costing softwares that they do not even know how to use.

Fake people; fake culture.

Be real for once.
Re: ..... by jarkbauer: 5:22pm On Nov 15, 2011
you guys are speaking hebrews Right?
Re: ..... by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 15, 2011
Godman_n:

Niaja

Is it about copying the latest technology or about getting the work done.

If manually generating their content saves them cost so be it.

I have seen UK banks that still uses excel sheets in most of their processing. In Nigeria it is all about buying costing softwares that they do not even know how to use.

Fake people; fake culture.

Be real for once.

Idiot, na our fault say ur hustle no work for Nigeria? Come on, go wash plates with ur fake papers,
Re: ..... by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 15, 2011
You mean the news is artificially inserted grin
Re: ..... by BigMeat2: 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2011
Copy and paster mentality in our culture won't get us anywhere.
I guess it's all about saving costs or just been plain lazy to do proper job.

@muskeeto: sir, not every nigerian nationality in UK or US wash plates and work with fake papers. You will be suprised to know the number of well qualified nigerians in good positions of influence across diverse fields making positive impact to the economy of these countries.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2011
If it works for them, why not? It is not anyone's place to tell others how to run their business. If I'll complain about a site, it will be about the content and/or look and feel, not about the way the site was generated.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 15, 2011
You cane easily make files have .html extensions when it is actually database driven.
Just simple .htaccess tricks. If you use Joomla and drupal well, you will see this a lot.

Now, you can even hide the name of the files completely and prevent it from showing
extensions - this is highlighted in my blog - Pretty URLs with Apache Engine Made Easy / Create A Site Without Showing .php extensions
Re: ..... by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 15, 2011
Like I said, up till now, no one has said anything about the services of the site; we all are preoccupied with being pedantic and nitpicking unimportant details. To say that it does not work for them because it didn't work for you is a faulty way of thinking. Different strokes for different folks.
Re: ..... by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:49pm On Nov 15, 2011
omo_to_dun:

If it works for them, why not? It is not anyone's place to tell others how to run their business. If I'll complain about a site, it will be about the content and/or look and feel, not about the way the site was generated.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 15, 2011
Big Meat:

Copy and paster mentality in our culture won't get us anywhere.
I guess it's all about saving costs or just been plain lazy to do proper job.

@muskeeto: sir, not every nigerian nationality in UK or US wash plates and work with fake papers. You will be suprised to know the number of well qualified nigerians in good positions of influence across diverse fields making positive impact to the economy of these countries.

Nah, Im not suprised in fact im very much aware of that. That doesnt give anyone the right to refer to Nigerians as fake people with a fake culture. Wetin concern that one with manual generation of code? Are we not all striving for improvement?
Re: ..... by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 15, 2011
actually a html file can be Dyanmic especially if the Apache Directive was set to treat html as php or parse html files. also i know it can be fooled in PHP too, you know the PHP Output Buffer Engine can flush contents as html and quickly load the same page just saying its theoretically possible but not idea. even joomla does a fake html for robots to index. so its doesnt mean wanna feel a joke take stab at the website of oyo state government wasd designing a site for oyo state ****** and was borrowing inspirations till i discovered its a picture not a site.
Re: ..... by Godmann(m): 9:39pm On Nov 15, 2011
musKeeto:

Idiot, na our fault say your hustle no work for Nigeria? Come on, go wash plates with your fake papers,

You can call me whatever you like, but face the fact. Technology is meant to simplify task and not for its sake.

For your information I am right here in niaja. I am just telling you what I noticed years ago (may be even before you learnt how to use a computer) having worked in Banks here and in UK.

In UK, Excel sheets was put to it fullest use; all their banking applications are developed inhouse. In naija, they compete over each other in who can buy the latest foreign developed application with zero local content. I can name all the banks and their applications. A case in point was Savannah Bank that paid N800million in 2001 to buy a banking application. Find out how much UBA, Oceanic and First Bank paid for Finacle which is just a Web server running Oracle.

Since you seem to know more about web, if you can be encouraged to develop a banking application and save us the scarce foreign exchange, is it bad? If we can fully use the excel sheets and save the millions wasted on the purchase of technology for its sake, is it not better for us as a nation?

I bet you, most of us do not even know half of the functionalities in simply excel, yet we can claim to know the latest technologies around. Technologies are means to an end and not end on it own.

Have we as a nation not had enough of elephants projects and ego runs?

If pointblanks news fells it is cheaper and more manageable to manage their site in any way, that is their business. Let judge them on the security of the site and the news contents. Let not just drop names of technologies that we have heard.

Let for once be original in our thinking. Let us drop a fake culture.

If for making these points you call me idoit so be it; it is for your like that we live in this shame called Nigeria(Africa). If only and my likes can have our own country, we could have proved to you that we are a better people.

We are not mentally enslaved copy-carts like you. Period.
Re: ..... by Ymodulus: 10:02pm On Nov 15, 2011
Re: ..... by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 10:18pm On Nov 15, 2011
Say it is manual, then how does it affect you?
Re: ..... by yawatide(f): 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2011
omo:

I would have loved to respond to your latest post which was responding to my (deleted) post. Unfortunately it is gone and no one can follow so I will have to stop there.

I hope you understand.
Re: ..... by yawatide(f): 10:25pm On Nov 15, 2011
bcuzmblack:

what is going on here is no different than a conversation that would go on b/w car enthusiasts. It is called PASSION. When you have it for something, then at that level, you want to see the next person succeed. Again, they don't have to take what we are saying. I personally could care less. All we are offering is best practices, which will help the owner in the long run.

Sure, the owner is providing a service but just like a nice car, the novice will see it and say, "wow! thatz a cool ride". The enthusiast, on the other hand, will say, "yeah its a cool ride but if you look closely, the rims r a bit rusty".
Re: ..... by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 15, 2011
@ yawa
LOL. It seems like I and Slyr0x are the only ones who can view your previous messages. [i]S[/i]tupid Spam-bot. Seriously, Seun needs to drop-kick this sickly software.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 15, 2011
or someone should bring Spam Killer 2.0 , awww snap am on the bot watchlist now.  :p
Re: ..... by Beaf: 12:22am On Nov 16, 2011
Ymodulus:

i was playing around the website piontblanknews and i found out the website is based on html. All news are not dynamic generated. Whats your say on this take a look at the link  http://www.pointblanknews.com/News/ and see the index of news for yourself

I believe you found pointblanks cache, which in itself is incredible and a sure sign of shoddiness. However, the website is run on open source software, PHP.

These are other details of pointblanknews server technologies:

Apache/2.0.63 Unix (Linux)
mod_ssl/2.0.63
OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1
mod_bwlimited/1.4
FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

Like most PHP websites, it is poorly built, thats why you could browse the cache instead of being allowed to only load single pages. I bet that website can be hacked by a child. embarassed

Click this link: http://www.pointblanknews.com//PostComments/load.php
Re: ..... by BodyKiss(m): 3:57am On Nov 16, 2011
Re: ..... by ijigbamigb(m): 4:14am On Nov 16, 2011
all these things wey una dey talk sef, me i no understand ooo, its like latin. i know i learnt using php, c99, and the rest on the streetz but e be like say na masters be all of una
Re: ..... by soloqy: 4:44am On Nov 16, 2011
I shudder at the thought of updating a news site manually.
Re: ..... by Akanbiedu(m): 7:58am On Nov 16, 2011
Godman_n:

You can call me whatever you like, but face the fact. Technology is meant to simplify task and not for its sake.

For your information I am right here in niaja. I am just telling you what I noticed years ago (may be even before you learnt how to use a computer) having worked in Banks here and in UK.

In UK, Excel sheets was put to it fullest use; all their banking applications are developed inhouse. In naija, they compete over each other in who can buy the latest foreign developed application with zero local content. I can name all the banks and their applications. A case in point was Savannah Bank that paid N800million in 2001 to buy a banking application. Find out how much UBA, Oceanic and First Bank paid for Finacle which is just a Web server running Oracle.

Since you seem to know more about web, if you can be encouraged to develop a banking application and save us the scarce foreign exchange, is it bad? If we can fully use the excel sheets and save the millions wasted on the purchase of technology for its sake, is it not better for us as a nation?

I bet you, most of us do not even know half of the functionalities in simply excel, yet we can claim to know the latest technologies around. Technologies are means to an end and not end on it own.

Have we as a nation not had enough of elephants projects and ego runs?

If pointblanks news fells it is cheaper and more manageable to manage their site in any way, that is their business. Let judge them on the security of the site and the news contents. Let not just drop names of technologies that we have heard.

Let for once be original in our thinking. Let us drop a fake culture.

If for making these points you call me idoit so be it; it is for your like that we live in this shame called Nigeria(Africa). If only and my likes can have our own country, we could have proved to you that we are a better people.

We are not mentally enslaved copy-carts like you. Period.

Thumb up.
Re: ..... by ifebosco: 8:04am On Nov 16, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Thumb up.
good talk and tanks
Re: ..... by Ymodulus: 9:04am On Nov 16, 2011
I was working on beaf link and booooooza i saw this. Just imagine this guy openly let out his database USERNAME, PASSWORD, AND ALL DATABASE INFO TO THE WORLD EVEN GOING TO THE EXTENT OF LEAVING A COMMENT BOX INSTALLER OPEN. TO understand what am saying click this link.
http://www.pointblanknews.com/PostComments/comments-install.php
over there u will see his password, username, database server. Ooo. Now some pple say since he got what he needed let leave it dat way. What if i decided to do this.

Mysql_connect to his server. Hmmmm i belive sylrox will tell us more.
look well to u will see his admin pages open without security. Gosh wish i was on my laptop. This mobile is killing me.
Re: ..... by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 16, 2011
i can design my site in php and put .html or any extention

i can do that with
htaccess

i can use

index.naija

simple simple
Re: ..... by Godmann(m): 3:17pm On Nov 16, 2011
Ymodulus:

Am not a TRIBALIST just a REALIST

Do you know who would have said that in the 1960s

The father of Tribalism in Nigeria;

let not go into that because some people will never accept the truth.
Re: ..... by umunna(f): 11:39pm On Nov 28, 2011
Following the startling revelation made by 9jaconet.com on the nefarious achieves of one Mr Jackson ude of pointblank news, the young man who is in his late 40s yet to get married, who claims to be a graduate of clayton riddel school of political management university, Ottawa, has gone berserk. Mr jackson ude for avoidance of doubt is a drop out. Our investigation shows that he is not a graduate of clayton riddel school of political management university, Ottawa
Jackson who spent most of his years in Abuja as a fake journalist without certificate, has confirmed the fact that he is a blackmailer as shown in the recent publication on his controversial website.
He is claiming that governor Orji and his son are threatening to kill him, even when he says he is Ottawa. He claimed that Governor Orji's son threatened to kill him on August this year. how come he kept quiet and never said it on his chop chop website.
We stand by our stories on Mr Ude. Most Governors in Nigeria are complaining about him, except those that are on his retainer-ship especially from the Niger Delta States, as can be seen on the slant of his positive stories on them.
He is a fake journalist, unlike other online like guys like Elendu, saharara and others who are genuine

(1) (Reply)

5 Tips To Improve Website Visibility For Better Google Ranking / Wordpress Vs Blogger : Advantages They Both Have - Techhinfo / Google Adsense Error: how can I fix it

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.