Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:50 PM

Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? (1456 Views)

Myths And Reality About Being A Manager / Will Nigeria Educational System Get Revive From Exam Malpractice / Six Career Myths You Shouldn't Fall For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by TheOne2(m): 10:48am On Nov 15, 2011
I posted this earlier in the education section but didn't get any replies. I decided to,post here because there have been a lot of discussions here on this issue.

I decided to set up this discussion due to some assertions that are touted as facts especially here on nairaland. These include but are not limited to the following:
1) First class and second class upper graduates from Nigerian universities buy their degrees either in cash or in kind
2) Second class lower and third class graduates of Nigerian universities are generally smarter than first class and second class upper graduates
3) A Nigerian education is essentially useless.

I am not asking for the same mundane cliches. I want fact-based replies saying whether the above are true. Let us know the university you attended in Nigeria, the general time frame when you attended and whether the above are true of YOUR university when you attended.

I schooled in OAU Ife spanning the 90s and early 2000s. I came boldly say the above are not true concerning Ife. It was impossible to sort for first class in Ife. The moSt laughable is 2 above. The majority of first class and 2.1graduates were extremely bright students who have gone on to do exploits in top foreign schools. @loma is one of these. I can go on and name tens if not hundreds others but I only used him because he's well known on this forum.

So, let me have views based on your PERSONAL experiences.
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by yamakuza: 12:21pm On Nov 15, 2011
Myths are never true.
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by TheOne2(m): 1:47pm On Nov 15, 2011
myth   /mɪθ/ Show Spelled[mith] Show IPAnoun
1.a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or heroor event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2.stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.
3.any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
4.an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5.an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by yamakuza: 2:34pm On Nov 15, 2011
^ anyway, i share your belief(s) so we are saying the same thing.
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:46am On Nov 16, 2011
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by iice(f): 3:45pm On Nov 16, 2011
What are all these classes?
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by AjanleKoko: 11:05pm On Nov 19, 2011
The One:

I posted this earlier in the education section but didn't get any replies. I decided to,post here because there have been a lot of discussions here on this issue.

I decided to set up this discussion due to some assertions that are touted as facts especially here on nairaland. These include but are not limited to the following:
1) First class and second class upper graduates from Nigerian universities buy their degrees either in cash or in kind
2) Second class lower and third class graduates of Nigerian universities are generally smarter than first class and second class upper graduates
3) A Nigerian education is essentially useless.

I am not asking for the same mundane cliches. I want fact-based replies saying whether the above are true. Let us know the university you attended in Nigeria, the general time frame when you attended and whether the above are true of YOUR university when you attended.

I schooled in OAU Ife spanning the 90s and early 2000s. I came boldly say the above are not true concerning Ife. It was impossible to sort for first class in Ife. The moSt laughable is 2 above. The majority of first class and 2.1graduates  were extremely bright students who have gone on to do exploits in top foreign schools. @loma is one of these. I can go on and name tens if not hundreds others but I only used him because he's well known on this forum.

So, let me have views based on your PERSONAL experiences.

I'm sure you got a lot of this from Nairaland.
Apart from 3, the others are just total nonsense. For 3, aside a few exceptions, the statement may be said to be largely true 60-40, especially when you are referring to tertiary education. The 40% I would award basically because Nigeria still produces decent graduates. But the system is largely crap.
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:24am On Nov 21, 2011
I just pray the educational system gets better
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by DisGuy: 5:50pm On Nov 21, 2011
What do the employers say about the educational system; that's the most important
Re: Are Myths About Nigeria's Educational System True? by AjanleKoko: 9:50pm On Nov 21, 2011
Dis Guy:

What do the employers say about the educational system; that's the most important

They say 60:40. system is crap, but good products can still be identified.

Truth be told, the white collar employers in Nigeria are part of the problem. They don't even have priorities. Most of their recruiting is nonsense.
Lots of the MNCs, especially the upstream energy companies, are filled with young Nigerian returnee graduates with Ivy League degrees, doing nothing at all, while they assiduously import Filipino technicians and ship them out to the oil rigs undecided

(1) (Reply)

How Lucrative Is Food Scientist/technologist In Nigeria? / How ICAN/CITN Settlement Affects Members’ Right To Practice Taxation. / Mechatronics Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.