Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota (5316 Views)

Deadly Punch Lands NURTW Ticketing Official In Morgue - Tribune / NURTW Member Killed While Leaving Mosque (pictured) / 20 Die In Nurtw Factional Clash In Sango Ota (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by nwaigbomg(m): 2:05am On Nov 16, 2011
20 feared dead
…as NURTW members clash in Ogun

From Moshood Adebayo, Abeokuta
Wednesday, November 16 , 2011

More Stories on This Section

Hell was let loose in Sango-Ota, Ogun State yesterday as no fewer than 20 persons were feared killed in an early morning rival clash among factional members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW).
The bone of contention was the control of the Sango motor park.Similar attempts to take over control of other parks and garages violently, had led to the loss of many lives in the past.

Daily Sun investigations revealed that pandemonium broke late Monday night, when a faction of the union attempted to  forcefully overthrow the Baruwa -led faction of the NURTW in the town.

Chief Tajudeen Ibikunle (a.k.a Baruwa), who is currently the national treasurer of the union and is based in Abuja was the immediate past chairman of the union in the state.

The attempt met a stiff resistance from those loyal to the former chairman, who resisted the dissident group with dangerous weapons, shooting sporadically all night.

This is coming barely 24 hours after a state high court struck out an application challenging the conduct of a proposed election by a faction of the union in the state.

There has been protracted crisis in the state branch of the NURTW following their attempts at conducting a fresh election after the expiration of the leadership of Ibikunle .
Similar crisis was believed to be responsible for the indefinite banning of the union’s activities in Ijebu-Ode by the state government.

During yesterday’s violent clash, residents, motorists and pedestrians were shocked at the brazen manner in which members of the union freely used dangerous weapons, including guns, charms and matchetes on one another.
Vehicular movement and commercial activities were paralyzed for greater part of the day as police and other security agencies struggled to maintain law and order.
While it lasted, commercial banks, traders and shop owners could not open for business while many landlords and tenants kept in doors for greater part of the day.
Commuters and travellers, who were caught in the bloody clash lamented their ordeals, calling for urgent arrest of the ugly development .
Mrs. Agnes Richards, who spoke with Daily Sun said she could not believe what she saw during the intra-crisis of the transport union.

“I ran  the way I never  did in my life, when I saw able-bodied men carrying sophisticated guns, shooting indiscriminately  with corpses of people on the streets and in gutters.
There was confusion on the Lagos-Abeokuta road as efforts by commercial drivers, who were caught up in the violence attempted to make a retreat while many travellers jumped through the windows of their buses.
When the Police in the state  doused the tension, 20 people were feared  killed,  with many corpses littering the town. One of such corpses was left under the major  bridge in the town in the pool of his blood.
Many others were seriously injured, including a staffer of the construction giant, Julius Berger Plc, who was stabbed in the neck.

There were, however, conflicting figures of casualties as some said 10 while an eye witness account further told Daily Sun that the casualty figure had risen to 20.
There was still palpable fear in the town, even though police personnel from the Divisional Police Office, Sango had deployed its men and officers to the strategic points of the town.
But for the early presence of armed police personnel, who were drafted to the scene, the situation would have been worse.

When the crisis subsided in Sango, it shifted to the   neighbouring Ijoko, a suburb of Sango, forcing traders and workers to rush home.
The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Muyiwa Adejobi, who confirmed the incident said the clash was caused by NURTW members over the control of the garage.
“We are on top of the situation and we have sent  our men to the place on time.  “We are even sending more men there, we are sending additional 40 men to that place. Our men in the place are in a show of force now, at least to show the people that we are fully on ground.’’

However, he denied knowledge of casualties, saying ’’for now I don’t have the exact number. Nobody can say somebody is dead, a medical doctor has to certify. The CP has not given us the exact figure.’’
We have deployed Armoured Personnel Carrier there too.’’ “The CP may personally visit the place later but I think the area is calm now.”
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/16/national-16-11-2011-007.html

pls, i want to know whether this union (nurtw) only exist in south western nigeria,
why is it that we don't hear of clashes and killings of this nurtw from south-south, north or south-east.
i have spent many of my life in owerre, imo state, but i have not heard of this nurtw of a thing not to talk of seeing a single member.

since last year, these clashes among different factions of this union have claimed aproximately 200 lives or even more than,
i am tired of all these nonsense, tomorrow, if u don't hear baruwa, u will hear tokyo, elemowo, auxilary, japan etc.
the most painful part of it, is that, the bone of contention is always ' control of motor packs'
from lagos cities to ejebu-ode, abeokuta, oshobo, ife, ibadan, oyo, illorin etc. it is the same thing.

pls what happened to south west education? i thought they said they are the most enlightened and educated group in africa.

something is wrong somewhere, pls brothers, we need resolve some ugent issues before things get out of hand

YORUBA RONU
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Francis5: 2:42am On Nov 16, 2011
This is SW's traditional trade mark
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Relax101(m): 2:48am On Nov 16, 2011
You sure say bluetooth and seaten know follow for the fight?
20 people die because of motor park.
Kai, Olorunmaje. Fiaaakwaaa
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by manny4life(m): 2:48am On Nov 16, 2011
This is just ridiculous shocked shocked shocked

200 feared dead cry cry cry

Greed and Selfishness is a thorn in our flesh, the sooner we get rid of it, the better.
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Akanbiedu(m): 2:49am On Nov 16, 2011
Normal, routine exercise. Kudos to the boys.
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Dgunnerz(m): 3:08am On Nov 16, 2011
This Fight they happen for my backyard ooo,abeg help me call EFCC!
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by gidson12(m): 8:44am On Nov 16, 2011
boko haram in the west
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by redsquare(m): 8:57am On Nov 16, 2011
No wonder GEJ called them rascals. Agberos.
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 16, 2011
Looooool they are always fighting in that Ogun State, God 4bid
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:06am On Nov 16, 2011
e be like say una nor know say the money wey dey at stake nor be coins.

anyway, na the politicians dey cause am naw, they arm them, they use dem for political thuggery, assasinations etc. dont be surprised if most of the combatants were drafted from other states, those chaps are better organised than the police.

its naija's version of the mob, in a crude way
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by slap1(m): 9:07am On Nov 16, 2011
Fighting because of motor parks? Are motor parks the only lucrative industries they have in the South West?
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by sylve11: 9:26am On Nov 16, 2011
always 4rm south-west? cool
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by humblebee: 9:43am On Nov 16, 2011
You could have just posted the news and let people talk about it. you just killed the essence

while you're busy bothering about south-wests' issues, there are disappointing criminal activities unfolding at your backyard, won't you rather bother about that. must you point fingers.

90% of Kidnappings in this country are carried out in your region or by your aborigines in other regions. They even went as far as Ghana to show what you guyz are made of. so this is a proof that every Region has its own kinda cancer. when next you're posting a reasonable piece of news like this, you don't have to show the kinda bigoted fellow you are.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-435472.0.html- Nigeria Gunmen Kidnap First Civilian Governor Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife’s Wife
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-529345.0.html- Abia Kidnap Kingpin (Osisi Ka Nkwu) Declared Wanted
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-758157.0.html- Female House Maid Plotted To Kidnap Her Boss [Pix Inside]
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-484232.0.html- Why Igbo People Kidnap —ohakim
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-616645.0.html- Kidnap: Victim Collapses, Dies After N10m Ransom
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-802783.0.html- Nigeria Ranked 4th Globally In Hostage Taking
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-467665.0.html- Dpo Chukwu, A Kidnap Kingpin In The South East Summoned In Abuja seeks Sen. Ekweremadu's Protection
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-532210.0.html- News: Four Nigerians Arrested In Ghana For Kidnap
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-431664.0.html- Okada Operators Foil Kidnap Attempt
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-145233.0.html- SACRILEGE MILITANTS KIDNAP PASTOR`S 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!!!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-480159.0.html- Osisioma Police Station Dpo Involved In The Kidnap Saga

Just a piece of advice, don't take it personal cos i won't exchange words with you
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by iykak47: 9:44am On Nov 16, 2011
Hope people would not put the blame on oga Jonny[/i]or [i]phee dee phee  shocked
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by iykak47: 9:47am On Nov 16, 2011
Hope people would not put the blame on oga Jonny or phee dee phee
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by lucom: 9:50am On Nov 16, 2011
The issue of these motor parks causing serious fracas can be traceable to some of these but not limited to

1.) The union is highly organized and has a perfect line of reporting and hierarchy which makes the state chairman the ultimate boss, the implication of these is that all the money accrued from all garages in the state per day comes to him. For instance for every bus that loads in a garage the driver pays what is called " owo ise" which in most cases varies between 5% - 10% of entire sum of the fare, hypothetically lets say #200 per bus.Now assuming 25 buses loaded in a garage that gives #5000 multiplied by say 30 garages in the state(which is more in most cases) and that gives us #150,000. Now imagine #150,000 income per day for an individual (and his executive members). A modest job in Nigeria doesn't even pay up to 150k a month and the state chairman of NURTW earns up to 4.5m a month. Quitting and losing that type of income string can be very difficult.
2.)Also the union enjoys continuous patronage from the state government running into millions of naira per month which tends to encourage the "siddon tight" approach most of their state chairmen have because once you are a chairman you have unfettered access to the government house
3.)As a result of reason 1 above there's continuous feeling of animosity towards the executive along the hierarchy of the union because the money is really much.
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by marocguy(m): 10:03am On Nov 16, 2011
wild wild west!
Boko boko north!
Whr is bluetooth,eko ile?
Motorpark mafia clowns!
Ndiala!
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by humblebee: 10:31am On Nov 16, 2011
marocguy:

wild wild west!
Boko boko north!
Whr is bluetooth,eko ile?
Motorpark mafia clowns!
Ndiala!

kidnap kingpins origin east!

i think you forgot to include that, there's enuf space dont worry wink
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by peckhamboi: 10:43am On Nov 16, 2011
ibos complaining of insecurity. what an oxymoron.
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Okijajuju1(m): 11:28am On Nov 16, 2011
Ofe Mmanu people, killing themselves over motor park presidency!!

Tufiakwa!! angry
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Ayoobscom(m): 11:34am On Nov 16, 2011
Unfortunately, every geo zone in Nigeria has a unique disease of brutality which is often deadly and worrisome

Edress is a living prophet-NIGERIA JAGA JAGA , EVERYTHING SCATTER SCATTER

No electricity-no security , we are so naked
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by emmatok(m): 11:52am On Nov 16, 2011
nwaigbo_mg:

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/16/national-16-11-2011-007.html

pls, i want to know whether this union (nurtw) only exist in south western nigeria,
why is it that we don't hear of clashes and killings of this nurtw from south-south, north or south-east.
i have spent many of my life in owerre, imo state, but i have not heard of this nurtw of a thing not to talk of seeing a single member.

since last year, these clashes among different factions of this union have claimed aproximately 200 lives or even more than,
i am tired of all these nonsense, tomorrow, if u don't hear baruwa, u will hear tokyo, elemowo, auxilary, japan etc.
the most painful part of it, is that, the bone of contention is always ' control of motor packs'
from lagos cities to ejebu-ode, abeokuta, oshobo, ife, ibadan, oyo, illorin etc. it is the same thing.

pls what happened to south west education? i thought they said they are the most enlightened and educated group in africa.

something is wrong somewhere, pls brothers, we need resolve some ugent issues before things get out of hand

YORUBA RONU

Another Igbo tribal bigot, hope you enjoy your time. wink wink wink
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 1:36pm On Nov 16, 2011
Okija_juju:

Ofe Mmanu people, killing themselves over motor park presidency!!

Tufiakwa!! angry
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by slex(m): 2:58pm On Nov 16, 2011
this preposterous!!!Such a sad thing, all because of money, millions per month is the cause
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by moshoodn(m): 7:13pm On Nov 16, 2011
My house is just 15 min trek from the park. . . Guns boomed at will. . . Twas a gory sight to behold.
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Cool83(m): 10:06pm On Nov 16, 2011
Why people like posting false information,i live around the garage,the casualties is not up to 20, it's just 4.
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by Dgunnerz(m): 10:18pm On Nov 16, 2011
Cool83:

Why people like posting false information,i live around the garage,the casualties is not up to 20, it's just 4.

i live at toll gate,i heard its 50
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by ngozianu(m): 11:50pm On Nov 16, 2011
why is it that all these touts,agberos and area boys in the south west are usually Tajudeen,Saula,Lamidi,Taofeek,Morufu why not paul,peter,matthew,John etc
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by novaman: 5:31pm On Nov 17, 2011
some people on nairaland have nothing upstairs it is common for them to come online maybe using one cheap phone just to condenm other tribes all in the name of just adding comments; anyone who abuse other tribes is a complete fool because somewhere along every blood line we are all connected. what a shame
Re: 20 Die In NURTW Factional Clash In Sango Ota by ngozianu(m): 2:39am On Dec 11, 2011
ngozianu:

why is it that all these touts,agberos and area boys in the south west are usually Tajudeen,Saula,Lamidi,Taofeek,Morufu why not paul,peter,matthew,John etc

novaman:

some people on nairaland have nothing upstairs it is common for them to come online maybe using one cheap phone just to condenm other tribes all in the name of just adding comments; anyone who abuse other tribes is a complete fool because somewhere along every blood line we are all connected. what a shame

95% Of the garage touts/agberos and area boys bear Muslim names, Period why don't you do your research and dispute my observation

(1) (Reply)

Why You Need To Secure Your Car During This Period / Policeman Kill Prison Officer During A Scuffle In Yenagoa / Sars Arrested My PA Today, Says He Lead Those Thugs That Invaded Oba Palace. PIX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.