Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,510 members, 7,770,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:53 AM

Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice (5301 Views)

Acca or Ican / Accountants: ACCA, ICMA Or ICAN. / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by Cjoy(f): 2:45pm On Nov 16, 2011
I want to start taking my professional exams. I have HND in Accounting, but I don't know which one to go for: ACCA or ICAN. please I need advice from people taking cost and other factors into consideration.

thanks
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by yamakuza: 5:41pm On Nov 16, 2011
ACCA.

Check the bottom of this page for 3 related threads where the issue has been discussed at lenght.
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by Cjoy(f): 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2011
thanx
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by olusedo: 8:46pm On Nov 19, 2011
Go for ICAN
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:29am On Nov 21, 2011
Go for ACCA and later ICAN
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by tayoast(m): 2:39pm On Nov 21, 2011
It's better you go for ICAN.

Ater qualifying, you can pursue the ACCA using ur ICAN cert
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by needful: 10:56am On Dec 07, 2011
am also a HND holder in Accounting and am currently doing ACCA. i opted for ACCA not just because of the global recognition but because, upon completion of paper f5 to f9 ACCA, you will obtain BSC IN APPLIED ACCOUNTING from oxford brookes university UK.

so my dear, don't listen to any ICAN advice here. go for ACCA and also opt in for BSC from OBU.

kind suggestion.
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by 9jalov: 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2011
take ACCA jor
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by olusedo: 5:19am On Dec 29, 2011
Ignore the ACCA advice and go for ICAN, ACCA is british not global they have no global charter be proudly nigerian.
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by Mustay(m): 12:06pm On Dec 31, 2011
olusedo:

Ignore the ACCA advice and go for ICAN, ACCA is british not global they have no global charter be proudly nigerian.

Just to support your stance does not mean you should twist information.

"In the UK, ACCA is by far the largest accountancy body in terms of student numbers, and the second largest in terms of members. It is, however, the only body to operate on a GLOBAL BASIS. The ACCA syllabus has been recognised by the United Nations as providing the basis for a global accountancy qualification. ACCA members enjoy wide professional mobility."

They have their administrative headquarters in Glasgow, Scotland.

Don't forget there's ICAEW, ICAS and ICAI just the way you have ICAN. Why do you think ACCA members can opt in to ICAN if ICAN was 'not it'? ICAN is backed up by an act of parliament.

There are several threads here where the OP can make his decision from and after comparison, ask yourself - ''where do you wanna be''? I do not like being drawn to the 'better' debate, just make the best use of what you have.
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by olusedo: 4:21pm On Dec 31, 2011
“United Nations' global accountancy curriculum titled Guideline on National Requirements for the Qualification of Professional Accountants published in 1999. ACCA was a participant in the consultative group, which devised this global Benchmark, and reference to ACCA's role is included throughout the publication.”
I still maintain that acca operates on a royal charter granted it by the queen in 1974 being a part of a group that developed a curriculum for UN does not amount to a global recognition. I agree that ACCA has a global outlook and approach it still doesn't give automatic rights to practice world wide
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Chartered_Certified_Accountants
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by MrUmana: 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2012
I am a graduate of Mthematics (B. Sc.) and Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (PGBA). I intended enrolling for ICAN but with this your explanation, can I go for ACCA because I really wish to belong to the professional body.
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by Deprofessional(m): 10:59pm On Apr 28, 2012
Acca is good but don't do it because of the bsc applied accounting. It is not recognised anywhere in nigeria. In fact your HND is more recognised than that. But on a more serious note, acca is better than ican. For the HND holders, don't forget to back yourself up with a Bsc. Thanks
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by jahrule: 11:44am On Apr 29, 2012
Deprofessional: Acca is good but don't do it because of the bsc applied accounting. It is not recognised anywhere in nigeria. In fact your HND is more recognised than that. But on a more serious note, acca is better than ican. For the HND holders, don't forget to back yourself up with a Bsc. Thanks

that is not true, because in your dream you do not want it to be recognised does not mean it will not be recognized. I have people working with it in even big multinantional companies. i even have another persons working with it in 2 different Banks in nigeria. so stop talking about what you donot know.
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by Deprofessional(m): 1:54pm On Apr 29, 2012
@ jahrule, that one or two companies admitted Bsc applied accounting from OBU, to me, does not amount to recognition. There many companies that have rejected that in the past and even presently. To tell the truth, no Nigerian university will accept that for further studies. What would your transcript read-three courses, a project and you are awarded a Bsc! Go to the relevant govt. Ministry and check the status of Bsc applied accounting from OBU through ACCA. Please note that even OBU does note run Bsc applied accounting as a regular or part-time program. So what does that tell you? Ask your friends to apply for Msc in any university of their choice in nigeria using the degree, lets see the outcome.
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by kellyjessy1gma: 3:40pm On Feb 27, 2013
Pass ICAN with ease.
Contact Topfield Tutors for ICAN ATS I, II and III, Foundation Intermediate and PE I in Lagos. Quiz Pack Available
Call 08020647499, 07041850660
or Email: gbolaboonasanya@yahoo.com
http://www.facebook.com/topfield.tutors
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by Deprofessional(m): 11:14am On Sep 12, 2017
Deprofessional:
@ jahrule, that one or two companies admitted Bsc applied accounting from OBU, to me, does not amount to recognition. There many companies that have rejected that in the past and even presently. To tell the truth, no Nigerian university will accept that for further studies. What would your transcript read-three courses, a project and you are awarded a Bsc! Go to the relevant govt. Ministry and check the status of Bsc applied accounting from OBU through ACCA. Please note that even OBU does note run Bsc applied accounting as a regular or part-time program. So what does that tell you? Ask your friends to apply for Msc in any university of their choice in nigeria using the degree, lets see the outcome.
Re: Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice by Hurmardoze: 2:28pm On Jan 09, 2019
needful:
am also a HND holder in Accounting and am currently doing ACCA. i opted for ACCA not just because of the global recognition but because, upon completion of paper f5 to f9 ACCA, you will obtain BSC IN APPLIED ACCOUNTING from oxford brookes university UK.

so my dear, don't listen to any ICAN advice here. go for ACCA and also opt in for BSC from OBU.

kind suggestion.

What if I already had B.sc in Accounting fro. A well recognised institution in Nigeria, can i still applied for the B.sc applied Accounting to make it 2 B.sc certificate

(1) (Reply)

Can A Sociology Graduate Work In An Oil And Gas Company In Nigeria? / Enlisting Into Nigeria Customs Or Immigration Service: / Training On How To Make Bag Souvenir And Traditional Handfan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.