Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,989 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN (14611 Views)

51 Bag First Class In UNIOSUN / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by splitnaija(m): 9:51am On Nov 18, 2011
luvola:

the question we are asking is WHY IS THAT IT IS EASIER TO MAKE FIRST CLASS IN PRIVATE AND FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES ,DOES THAT MEAN STATE UNIV STUDENTS AREN'T BRILLIANT ENOUGH ? DOES THAT MEAN PRIVATE UNIVs ARE BETTER THAN STATE UNIV. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A STATE UNIV CONVOCATING 62 FIRST CLASS. THESE ARE FACT WHICH EVERYONE KNOWS. THE FACT IS THAT STATE UNIVs IS MORE FUSTRATING THAN BOTH FEDERAL AND PRIVATE UNIVs

You have already answered your own question in the bolded.

The fact is that most state Universities are glorified Secondary Schools as they lack basic facilities to qualify to be called Universities. You see students in these Universities jostling for lecture halls, reading spaces, water, light, off-campus accomodation, transport to and fro campuses, etc, etc, as most don't even have decent accomodation in the first place. All these leave students with little or no time for serious academic exercises.

Also, the competition for admission into federal Universities naturally ensures that only the best are selected in most cases while the average ones end up in state universities as a last resort. This is evidence in the disparity in cut-off points between state and federal universities. This is not to say there are no students who make state unviversities their first choice for some personal reasons though but the fact is that that percentage is very low and again, that may also be responsible for the low rate of first class graduands from those schools.

I know of someone who, owing to poor academic performance, couldn't make it beyond 100L in Industrial Chemistry at UNIBEN during 1990/91 session. The same person somehow found his way into Ambrose Alli University and graduated with a degree in Engineering.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by splitnaija(m): 10:04am On Nov 18, 2011
A first class in any University, whether state of Federal is a first class degree in the true sense of the word. The truth is that most students think that you start aiming at first class from 300L or 400L, the race actually starts from 100L -from your very first day in that institution as a student. You need to averge 70% and above in all your exams in the university to make a first class, how can you influence that with every lecturer you come in contact with if you don't work hard for it?
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 10:14am On Nov 18, 2011
@ split - your assertion is baseless. what will u say to two lasu law student who graduated with 2.2 et 2.1 and made distinction last month @ the nig law sch ? i earlier posted that a dept friend whose left lasu with a g.p of 3.66 at the end of 100l and this guy is currently on 4.89 dept of accounting unilag. a lady also left my dept (accounting and finance) with 2.2 and she is current on 1st class in osun state univ.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 10:17am On Nov 18, 2011
@ split - your assertion is baseless. what will u say to two lasu law student who graduated with 2.2 et 2.1 and made distinction last month @ the nig law sch ? i earlier posted that a dept friend whose left lasu with a g.p of 3.66 at the end of 100l and this guy is currently on 4.89 dept of accounting unilag. a lady also left my dept (accounting and finance) with 2.2 and she is current on 1st class in osun state univ.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by anonimi: 10:27am On Nov 18, 2011
Have we also considered the relative percentage of 1st class from each university category?
The 62 out of over 8,000 Uniben graduates is 0.775% i.e. less than 1% of graduating students made 1st class. That does not look impressive to me.
What is teh percentage for private and state universities?
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by splitnaija(m): 10:37am On Nov 18, 2011
luvola:

Your points here simply corroborate my position -the stress in the state universities make for little or no time for proper academic exercises.

lasu law student who graduated with 2.2 et 2.1 and made distinction last month  -the enviroment at LASU wasn't conducive for them to aattain their full academic potentials while there, same goes for the guy who is currently on 4.89 at UNILAG. The story is different at the Law School and UNILAG (find out).

a lady also left my dept (accounting and finance) with 2.2 and she is current on 1st class in osun state univ. -this person must have learn from her 2.2 experience earlier, she probabaly now knows that the race starts from the very blast of the whistle and now is not taking chances at all.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by splitnaija(m): 10:42am On Nov 18, 2011
anonimi:

Have we also considered the relative percentage of 1st class from each university category?
The 62 out of over 8,000 Uniben graduates is 0.775% i.e. less than 1% of graduating students made 1st class. That does not look impressive to me.
What is teh percentage for private and state universities?

Good point.

We somehow create problems with our perception of first class degrees as being unattainable. That is why you see some lecturers sometimes not awardinfg 70% or above to any deserving student so as not to make it look that he/she is too generous with marks. For goodness sake, if you work hard for a first class degree, you will obtain it.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 18, 2011
the point here should be the percentage not the no of 1st class a uni is graduating, 62 out of 8000 is far lesser compare to 67 out of 1650 so also in many private uni to be sincere it is easier to make high grade in some versities though but not down to the fact that their students are more brilliant than other versities they just give it cheap
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by tunene: 3:10pm On Nov 18, 2011
gascoign1:

First class here and there and yet no goods is ''made in Nigeria'' not even a mobile phone earpiece

In fairness to first class students, it is not the role or responsibility of first class students to make your ear piece, it is the duty of your 2.1, 2.2. It is even more that of HND holders. But of course when first class students work as tellers in banks (jobs that should belong to OND and SSCE), who will work in the academia and the research institutes. The few ones that have chosen the research are playing their part in the presence of lean finances and low support. So many prototypes and research documents here and there, no step further.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 18, 2011
This precisely summarizes all my arguments on threads on this subject since I joined NL some 4 years ago.

A lot of students first defeat themselves mentally; hey, you cannot make a First Class, they will deny you bla bla. I, for one, dont believe First Class is given anywhere, it is earned. What I agree with is different conditions in different schools may contribute to how stress-freely one will make it.

Most students kill themselves mentally right from year 1. Some people, like Luvola here, feed you with different tales that 'hey, in the history of this school, nobody has made it, so no matter what you do, you can never make it bla bla' and the innocent Jambite becomes demotivated.

You hear all these kinds of tales everywhere. In fact, I remember in my secondary school days, shortly before our SSCE, we heard that 'WAEC wont give you A1 in English because it meant you know everything in English and it's not possible' Although I didn't make A1 in English, I saw my mates that made it. Also, when I started my ICAN exams, I heard all kinds of stories that ICAN deliberately fail people. This is teh biggest lie I have ever heard in my life. It's a lie, pure lie. ICAN will never fail you if you score 50% or more. So tales like these abound being peddled by some lazy students.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 5:18pm On Nov 18, 2011
@ jarus - my arguement here is that why is state versities produce less number of 1st class graduates ? some were given bias assertions that only brilliant students were being admitted into fed univ and that those attending state versities were rejectees of fed sch ( dull students who couldn't get admission to fed sch).
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 5:25pm On Nov 18, 2011
i can authoritatively declare that u can't have a 1st class in law fac in lasu and they are yet to produce one since the inception of the sch law programm in 1983.every law student in lasu will tell u this.*truith is bitter*
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Natasha2(f): 6:40pm On Nov 18, 2011
luvola:

i can authoritatively declare that u can't have a 1st class in law fac in lasu and they are yet to produce one since the inception of the sch law programm in 1983.every law student in lasu will tell u this.*truith is bitter*
\
its not a Lasu thing Only three people have made a first class in law according to the article I read will try and get a link though they are few others and I wonder why they said only three but still Its not more than 5 or at most 10 for the benefit of those who were not mentioned.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:08pm On Nov 18, 2011
Dats reallyy not good for such a university as lasu
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Natasha2(f): 7:19pm On Nov 18, 2011
^^^its not a lasu thing Its difficult to make a first class in Law everywhere but I hope to make it
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 8:26pm On Nov 18, 2011
faculty of art too never had a 1st class.lecturers boastly said u cant have a 1st class in art faculty.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 8:27pm On Nov 18, 2011
faculty of art too never had a 1st class.lecturers boastly said u cant have a 1st class in art faculty.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Aigirl(f): 6:07pm On May 12, 2012
Al ds plenty talk abt 1st,im a grad8 wit 2.1,if i c any1 wit a 1st clas,i giv dem big thumbs-up. We always tk our schs r d worst,dey dnt dash 1st clas anywhr,evry yr,stdnts results r slashd 2reduce d no. Of 1st clases,bt bliv me,deres hw solid ur G.p wil b in any sch;fed or state,dat dey'l slash,&u'l stil make it! Pls if u nid a 1st start 4rm yr1,its nt an imposibility,pple dat do it dnt av 7 heads,i kip sayn it,if i go bak 2any 9ja uni 2dy,4any 1st degre,i must mak a 1st clas.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Steve74(m): 2:58pm On Jun 09, 2013
teejan: Schools like UNIBEN,UI and UNILAG are relatively easier to make first class or 2.1 in a school like Lautech or Lasu there is a high tendency of not making good grades,today i can confidently say that graduates of Lautech have blazed the trail and work in top notch companies in Nigeria and diaspora.Even the university of ibadan faculty of technology Postgraduate school can attest to the quality of Lautech grads.All these noise about UNIBEN,UNILAG and UI ARE JUST overhyped.They aint the best.

Dull student who can't make a first class in his low-rated school is talking about making first class in Nigeria's Ivy League. If you were good, you ought to have gained admission into the UNILAGs of this world. But you know that's like climbing Mount Everest. Stop fooling yourself
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Futurecrown(m): 1:39pm On Feb 28, 2015
otokx:
Authorities in Nigerian universities have now joined the charade and think it is by the number of first class that signifies which university is the best. Imagine the UNIBEN authorities listing relevant institutions for treatment of gully erosion as NDDC and Niger Delta ministry; goes to show you unusually low IQ in that place.
That showcase how myopic you are to call UNIBEN grads low IQ.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Zonal Chapters To Review Strike This Week / Armed Security Officers Stop Striking Ojukwu University Lecturers From Meeting / 2019 Jamb Result | How To Check Jamb Utme Cbt Results Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.