Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices (7841 Views)

Abimbola Jayeola Captain Of Bristow Helicopter That Ditched In Atlantic Ocean / We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / Virgin Atlantic Flight To Uk To Make Stop Over In Ghana Due to Fuel Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by whatalife: 3:25pm On Nov 17, 2011
B-r-e-a-k-i-n-g N-e-w-s: Fg Fines British Airways $135m, Virgin Atlantic $100m

LAGOS- (AFP) – The Nigerian Airport Authorities have fined British Airways $135 million and Virgin Atlantic $100 million amid a dispute over ticket prices, the head of the Nigerian Airport Authorities said Thursday.

Harold Demuren told AFP the fines were “$135 million against BA, $100 million against Virgin Atlantic …,” alleging overcharging in ticket prices.
More details later

http://page2rss.com/ce177bba517517b47a03980715eca2ab/5724676_5725628/november-pm
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by ayodeji1(m): 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2011
im wondering if those overcharged will have a feel of that money even if the airlines pay up.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by Funkymallam(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2011
FG vs BA  season 2.
Am watching o lipsrsealed
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by chuckdee4(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2011
Finally someone's plucked up courage to stnd up to these Brits.
How can London - Atlanta (Some 9 hours) be cheaper than London - Lagos (6 hours).

These guys have cheated us for way too long. On top of everything their shakara is just to damn much, like they are doing us a favour after collecting their over jacked fares.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by ezeagu(m): 3:46pm On Nov 17, 2011
ayodeji1:

im wondering if those overcharged will have a feel of that money even if the airlines pay up.

I wonder. More money stuck up in the sieve known as the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by ezeagu(m): 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2011
chuckdee4:

How can London - Atlanta (Some 9 hours) be cheaper than London - Lagos (6 hours).

These guys have cheated us for way too long. On top of everything their shakara is just to damn much, like they are doing us a favour after collecting their over jacked fares.

Maybe there are other factors affecting price, including the heavy cost of renting a space at Nigerian airports. It doesn't help when the infrastructure is also inferior. I wonder if airline crews have to "roger" customs services in the airports as well.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by ceomike(m): 3:49pm On Nov 17, 2011
This should be like 21.4 billion naira and 15.9 billion naira. that some money

Get more details at http://www.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by kizito96(m): 4:19pm On Nov 17, 2011
This is just a media hype. The airlines will not pay
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by chuckdee4(m): 4:27pm On Nov 17, 2011
ezeagu:

Maybe there are other factors affecting price, including the heavy cost of renting a space at Nigerian airports. It doesn't help when the infrastructure is also inferior. I wonder if airline crews have to "roger" customs services in the airports as well.

Point taken, but i still feel its heavily overpriced, especially come the festive season

kizito96:

This is just a media hype. The airlines will not pay

Totally agree, these guys don't part with money of this nature especially with the way things are going in Europe. The FG don't have enough balls to hustle them to pay up
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by Krucifax(m): 4:56pm On Nov 17, 2011
This is very welcome news for frequent flyers like myself. Those of you calling it media hype are missing the point. The simple point is fares covering trips between Nigeria and England are way overpriced,especially comparing fares with similar and longer distances to other countries!!!
It has f*@k all to do with landing slots and infrastructure like some here are suggesting.

How can you justify the fact that it costs me between £200 - £250 "LESS" to visit my siblings in the West coast of U.S (Oregon) where i change 3 planes and do almost 18hrs flying time. Whereas a trip from London to Abuja is just under 7hrs.

Basically what the Nigerian govt does with the payments(if they are made) is irrelevant,what is important is the fact that someone has recognised that we have been collectively ripped off for way too long. At the very least it will force the airlines to offer more competitive prices.
Economically speaking Nigeria is holding the Ace card here because these airlines have far more to lose,with potentially 1,000s of job losses and lost income from the very lucrative route. God punish them let them pay up,for me it's like a personal victory.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by ideylaff: 5:22pm On Nov 17, 2011
This is very welcome news for frequent flyers like myself. Those of you calling it media hype are missing the point. The simple point is fares covering trips between Nigeria and England are way overpriced,especially comparing fares with similar and longer distances to other countries!!!
It has f*@k all to do with landing slots and infrastructure like some here are suggesting.

How can you justify the fact that it costs me between £200 - £250 "LESS" to visit my siblings in the West coast of U.S (Oregon) where i change 3 planes and do almost 18hrs flying time. Whereas a trip from London to Abuja is just under 7hrs.

Basically what the Nigerian govt does with the payments(if they are made) is irrelevant,what is important is the fact that someone has recognised that we have been collectively ripped off for way too long. At the very least it will force the airlines to offer more competitive prices.
Economically speaking Nigeria is holding the Ace card here because these airlines have far more to lose,with potentially 1,000s of job losses and lost income from the very lucrative route. God punish them let them pay up,for me it's like a personal victory.

Basically what the Nigerian govt does with the payments(if they are made) is irrelevant

embarassed did u really said that? or you are just getting carried away
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by Krucifax(m): 5:28pm On Nov 17, 2011
ideylaff:

embarassed did u really said that? or you are just getting carried away

Okay i admit a tad "tongue in cheek" as i'm all for accountability,but the crucial point is the matter which IS a problem,is now being addressed!!!
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by fuqua: 5:42pm On Nov 17, 2011
Am starting to love my country. Finally, someone with "TESTICULAR FORTITUDE".
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by CHAIRMAN1(m): 5:51pm On Nov 17, 2011
chuckdee4:

Bros its not by proximity, its more about frequency,  how many flights ply the london- atl route weekly and how many do the london-lag route.
That's what they consider.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by chuckdee4(m): 6:19pm On Nov 17, 2011
CHAIRMAN1:

Bros its not by proximity, its more about frequency, how many flights ply the london- atl route weekly and how many do the london-lag route.
That's what they consider.

Either which way we are clearly being cheated and they only try that because they feel our government don't give a hoot, little wonder they don't mess about with the American route.

If you want to base this on frequency then we should be one of the cheapest routes in all of Africa if not the cheapest, because come rain or sunshine Nigerians will always guarantee you full aircrafts. So giving us better fares should be their way of repaying the continued business we provide them.

My cousin just bought a ticket from London to South Africa where he has to change over at Kenya and he paid £533 (Much Much cheaper than any London- Lagos flight for this time of the year), let's not forget that this is a 9 hour flight
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by dustydee: 6:31pm On Nov 17, 2011
chuckdee4:

I don't know but I hear operators in Nigeria pay some of the highest landing rates in the world.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by babyboy3(m): 7:17pm On Nov 17, 2011
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by PHIPEX(m): 7:29pm On Nov 17, 2011
Who said GEJ has no gut?
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:41pm On Nov 17, 2011
His opposers
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by JIL(m): 7:57pm On Nov 17, 2011
Comments made by Bristish bloggers;

How about they pay compensation to my girl friend. There bloody navy cocked a hostage situation up and blew her late husbands head off. Widow now for 5 years and never recieved a penny .

An utterly corrupt country at every level. They rip-off people with internet fraud and Nigerians commit serious crime in the UK. I would be delighted if all UK airlines were to avoid Nigeria forever. Perhaps the Nigerian government can pay compensation to us for the huge sums that have been stolen from UK bank accounts as a result of their unwillingness to root out the perpetrators.

Just stop flying there. Solves a number of problems.

Stop going there then.

What the hell is going on, Nigeria usually extort money secretly.

They're operating the plane, they can charge what they want !

Ah Nigeria. Maybe they ain't making enough money from internet scams anymore?

oh piss of nigeria- all countries have corruption but at least ours isn't so obvious

Who would want to fly into Lagos and such like if there are limited flights here then of course the price will be high it's all about supply and demand. The most corrupt place on earth and they have the cheek to moan they'd sale their own kid if the price were right.

Wow, trebled their GDP instantly, Greece will try it next

Mr dear friend, Is this anywhere near burkinp faso? - because I would most certainly advise against flying in this area -as there is £milllllllions of cash waiting unclaimed in banks.

In fact, they could use this money to pay off fines !!

Stop flying there and save the UK a fortune in bogus welfare claims and other scams.

tell them to take a flying F, K AND STOP ALL THE AID WE BRITS ARE SICK OF BEING TAKEN FOR A RIDE

If i was BA or Virgin,i'd tell them to f, k off

lol, nice one. scams in a larger scale now?

Some nerve eh. The biggest scammers on earth. Tell them to take the money out of that which all their illegals send home from here. The best solution is just don't fly there anymore.

my comments were not racial, but have been deleted. why ?

and on what Authority can they make them pay this obviously exorbitant amount of money,they should just pull all flights coming and going from this #$%$ hole country.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by Connoisseur(m): 8:36pm On Nov 17, 2011
It keeps getting better.

I just wish this same zeal will be employed in tackling the menance of illegal beneficiaries of d fuel subsidy, treasury looters and enthroning accountability ad the watchword; then it would go a long way in positively affecting the lives of ordinary citizens.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by Guk: 8:40pm On Nov 17, 2011
I wait to see where all this is leading to. Personally, i look forward to a fare reduction but i see too much hypocrisy and double speak.

This seriously puzzles me because i know that the Nigerian govt is one of the reasons why our airfares are high. The taxes charged by Nigerian govt is just too high but presently, British Airways, Ryanair, easyjet and Virgin Atlantic are fighting their own govt to scrap Air Passenger Duty in United Kingdom which costs $94

Take a look at this:
Lagos To:  Accra on Aero Contractors
Fare Calculation:
1 Adult fare single of  NGN 5000.00
0 Child fare total of    NGN 0
0 Infant fare single of  NGN 0

Total Fare including taxes is NGN 15750.00

That means tax is N10,750. That is double the Air fare itself

British Airways Lagos to London(Return) Airfare $ 497.00 Taxes $ 559.06 (This is shared between Nigerian govt; FAAN; BA; British govt & BAA)

ARIK Air Lagos to London(Return) Airfare =N=70,021 Taxes =N=85,4446 (This is shared between Nigerian govt; FAAN; ARIK; British govt & BAA)

Lufthansa Lagos to Frankfurt (Return) Airfare $ 629.00 Taxes $ 512.06

All the Airlines charge about the same amount, so why single out BA & VA.

Just last week, GEJ was cajoling foreign investors. A week later, his lieutenants are shooting from the hips. Strikes me as an Oxymoron
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by xterra2(m): 8:42pm On Nov 17, 2011
Good news
Now the prices should be reduced already they have reduces 20% on the first class
Waiting to hear by how much was the price reduced
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by doctokwus: 8:43pm On Nov 17, 2011
Am guessing d amts are N135m& N100m,even @dat,I doubt a kobo wi b droppd,we are jst noted for grandiose figures to impress nobody but ourselves
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by RickyRoss1(m): 9:57pm On Nov 17, 2011
JIL:

Comments made by Bristish bloggers;

How about they pay compensation to my girl friend. There bloody navy cocked a hostage situation up and blew her late husbands head off. Widow now for 5 years and never recieved a penny .

An utterly corrupt country at every level. They rip-off people with internet fraud and Nigerians commit serious crime in the UK. I would be delighted if all UK airlines were to avoid Nigeria forever. Perhaps the Nigerian government can pay compensation to us for the huge sums that have been stolen from UK bank accounts as a result of their unwillingness to root out the perpetrators.

Just stop flying there. Solves a number of problems.

Stop going there then.

What the hell is going on, Nigeria usually extort money secretly.

They're operating the plane, they can charge what they want !

Ah Nigeria. Maybe they ain't making enough money from internet scams anymore?

oh piss of nigeria- all countries have corruption but at least ours isn't so obvious

Who would want to fly into Lagos and such like if there are limited flights here then of course the price will be high it's all about supply and demand. The most corrupt place on earth and they have the cheek to moan they'd sale their own kid if the price were right.

Wow, trebled their GDP instantly, Greece will try it next

Mr dear friend, Is this anywhere near burkinp faso? - because I would most certainly advise against flying in this area -as there is £milllllllions of cash waiting unclaimed in banks.

In fact, they could use this money to pay off fines !!

Stop flying there and save the UK a fortune in bogus welfare claims and other scams.

tell them to take a flying F, K AND STOP ALL THE AID WE BRITS ARE SICK OF BEING TAKEN FOR A RIDE

If i was BA or Virgin,i'd tell them to f, k off

lol, nice one. scams in a larger scale now?

Some nerve eh. The biggest scammers on earth. Tell them to take the money out of that which all their illegals send home from here. The best solution is just don't fly there anymore.

my comments were not racial, but have been deleted. why ?

and on what Authority can they make them pay this obviously exorbitant amount of money,they should just pull all flights coming and going from this #$%$ hole country.

HAHAHAHAHA TELL THIS SMELLLLY WHITE BOY TO TAKE HIS ANGER AND RANTINGS ELSEWHERE, HE IS COMPLAINING OF NIGERIAN SCAMS WITHOUT BLAIMING DEM GREEDY WHITE BASTARDS WHO ALWAYS WANT TO GET RICH QUICK WHICH IS WHY THEY GET SCAMMED ALL THE TIME.

WHAT ABOUT ALL THE TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS THE STUPID BRITISH STOLE FROM US, WHAT ABOUT OUR FORE FATHERS THEY RAPED. WHAT ABOUT THE POLITICIANS THEY KILLED LIKE KWAME NKRUMAH AND SARO WIWA? I SWEAR IF I HAVE MY WAY I WILL LOOT ALL THE MONEY IN ENGLAND AND MAKE THESE SMELLY STUPID GREEDY PEOPLE MY SLAVES FOR AT LEAST 400 YEARS,
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by Limaoscar: 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2011
Let's keep the heat on. hereafter let the Nigerian govt go after her internal scammers as well.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by Abrantie: 10:20pm On Nov 17, 2011
Nigeria dey show BALLS of steel grin ,  woot woot!

In Ghana, not only would we have shut up, but also allow them to open a white-only restaurant at our single international airport, then sing praises of "obroni akwaaba" (white person welcome). Kudos to Naija!
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by doctokwus: 10:38pm On Nov 17, 2011
Wow,see oyibo man dey para.Now this is interesting,d aviation industry is where d action is,thanks to Arik& that woman minister.They should not fall our hands o,now that d battleline is drawn between the citizens.
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by OmoTier1(m): 10:50pm On Nov 17, 2011
Those of US that have been shouting for years that BA and Virgin are into price fixing on the LOS-LHR route finally have been vindicated! It's a no brainer to any body in the Aviation industry that LOS-LHR is one of the highest yield routes in the world with massive returns! The passengers are there, journey times very short, hardly any issues with weather, and Landing fees, typically within global average.

Please let the NCAA not stop there, they should go ahead a file a civil case against BA and Virgin in Lagos High court  for fraudulent Business activity within the Nigeria territory and that would send a strong message to other European airlines flying into Nigeria.

BA and Virgin have been into price fixing for ages till they were caught on theier US  routes and they were made to pay heavy fines as well. NCAA should not allow the British press paint this as a fallout of the Arik Air London Heathrow landing slot row, instead, let them publish thier investigation findings and also invite the global body on civil avaiation into the case. In any case I trust the head of the NCAA! He is a no nosense dude and He knows his onions and I am sure BA and Virgin will learn a strong lesson from this. Maybe SA government will need to also investigate BA on LHR-Jobrg route as well!

As for the white dude ranting, well we know the brits, they whinge all the time, and He can go on and on ranting, who cares? BA and Virgin have been caught pants down, and they should hands up and settle the bills before they get shut out of the Lagos route!
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by dotman2(m): 10:54pm On Nov 17, 2011
Abrantie:

In Ghana, not only would we have shut up, but also allow them to open a white-only restaurant at our single international airport, then sing praises of "obroni akwaaba" (white person welcome). Kudos to Naija!

this is SHOCKING!
Re: FG Fines British Airways $135M & Virgin Atlantic $100M Over Ticket Prices by Guk: 11:38pm On Nov 17, 2011
@Omo Tier 1, should ARIK not be taken to High court as well since they charge as much as BA does??

British Airways Lagos to London(Return) Airfare $ 497.00 Taxes $ 559.06 (This is shared between Nigerian govt; FAAN; BA; British govt & BAA)

ARIK Air Lagos to London(Return) Airfare =N=70,021 Taxes =N=85,4446 (This is shared between Nigerian govt; FAAN; ARIK; British govt & BAA)

Lufthansa Lagos to Frankfurt (Return) Airfare $ 629.00 Taxes $ 512.06

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Book Local Flights In Nigeria? / Anyone Tired Or Bored Of Living In A Western Country, / Help Please:i Need Directions To Ekiti State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.